• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvie_3 said:
To be fair, it's still better than Newark's airport. Getting stuck there for an extra 6 hours on my way to London because of storms was a fucking nightmare.

Yep, and they thought moving the Devils right over there would attract people. You knew it was bad when they need to start positioning police officers in between the train stop and the arena on game nights so fans could walk from one the train to the stadium. It's like a three block walk...

That said, I like Newark. I like the people I know from Newark. It just isn't exactly the type of place you'd expect to draw a "wide audience."

Also, I don't really mind the airport there. Maybe I've just gotten beyond noticing shit while traveling. It all looks the same to me now. :\

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Marvie_3 said:
To be fair, it's still better than Newark's airport. Getting stuck there for an extra 6 hours on my way to London because of storms was a fucking nightmare.

I've only flown once in my life--From Detroit to Newark to Orlando.

Detroit's airport was fantastic and Orlando's was good.

Newark was dreadful. Every person I talked to had a major attitude problem and the place was a dump.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
D tonight:

Gorges-Subban
Gill-Diaz
Spacek-Weber

Spacek back and Yemelin sitting.

Good to have Spacek back, hopefully he is in decent game shape.

On Yemelin, I thought he continued to get better. Should be a good d-man down the road.

t0mp

gonna be a goody tonight! last time I told someone to come at me bro, the boys lost so I'm going to refrain from doing that for tonights game.

though, for those leaf fans out there, I have a feeling that Kessel WILL indeed pot at least one tonight against Bob. just a hunch. not saying you guys are gonna win though :)

Solo

Habs/Bruins home and home this week on Thursday/Saturday. Gonna miss the Saturday game though (Halloween party).

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
Nasim Kadri. Got my chest waxed, my abs and shoulders ripped, and my dancing moves ready.

2mg704n.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Solo said:
Habs/Bruins home and home this week on Thursday/Saturday. Gonna miss the Saturday game though (Halloween party).
I just realized this too, but we're having the halloween party at my house so game will be on in the background at least. Blunden and the new 4th line guy are in tonight too, it's already going to be the best game so far because I won't have to look at Enqvist at all.

Solo

Lines:

Cammy-Pleks-Cole
AK-DD-Patches
Moen-Eller-Gio
Darche-Noke-Blunden

Kinda upset that JM separated AK and Eller. How long will he keep Cole on the top line tonight? I'll se the over/under at 3 shifts.

Red_Man

Hopefully Budaj channels his inner Halak, the city could use another goalie controversy.

Red_Man

“It’s always a surprise when you get traded, especially at the start of the season,” admitted the Habs’ newest arrival. “But it’s great to come and play in a hockey market like this. Saku [Koivu] texted me yesterday just to let me know what a great place this was to play.”

<3 Saku. New guy is wearing #15 :lol so guess he won't be here next year.

t0mp said:
gonna be a goody tonight! last time I told someone to come at me bro, the boys lost so I'm going to refrain from doing that for tonights game.

though, for those leaf fans out there, I have a feeling that Kessel WILL indeed pot at least one tonight against Bob. just a hunch. not saying you guys are gonna win though :)

I dont know what to think about tonight. The effort has sucked the last 2 games, I really hope they turn it back on tonight.

Milly79

Marvie_3 said:
I don't remember which terminal it was. All I remember was the worst Taco Bell ever, a bunch of stained carpet, and garbage cans that were overflowing onto the floor.

I'm pretty sure you were in the downtown Detroit one, which is a shit hole from what I remember when I was younger. The Detroit Metro airport is very nice, however.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Michalek broke his finger blocking a shot Saturday night, he'll be out 4-6 weeks. Our defense has been healthy for exactly two periods so far this year. But what a great two periods those were!

Red_Man

Spire said:
Michalek broke his finger blocking a shot Saturday night, he'll be out 4-6 weeks. Our defense has been healthy for exactly two periods so far this year. But what a great two periods those were!
2 more periods then our defense has been healthy over the last 2 years.

Socreges

Banned
Red_Man said:
2 more periods then our defense has been healthy over the last 2 years.
Habs' fault for bringing back Markov. Whens he due to return anyway?

Besides starting without Kesler and Raymond, Canucks have been uncharacteristically fortunate with the lack of injuries. We exhausted our 2011 quota during the playoffs, I guess.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why there can't be one game on every night teams play when I have NHL Network and Versus. I'd like to watch other teams.

Alucard

Banned
Just read the Michalek news. Ugh. Pens can't catch a break when it comes to injuries. I'm actually most concerned about the non-news on Kennedy lately.

Tyler Ennis “week-to-week” with an ankle sprain. Guy's got sophomore slump bigtime. Zero points and now this.

Means Matt Ellis will probably play his first game of the season unless Hecht is ready by tomorrow.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Socreges said:

Besides starting without Kesler and Raymond, Canucks have been uncharacteristically fortunate with the lack of injuries. We exhausted our 2011 quota during the playoffs, I guess.

But, but, but, he's a TOP 10 DEFENSEMAN in the league when he's healthy.*

*He's never healthy.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Alucard said:
Just read the Michalek news. Ugh. Pens can't catch a break when it comes to injuries. I'm actually most concerned about the non-news on Kennedy lately.

Kennedy is scary, since there is no timetable for it. There are some bright sides to Z's injury, namely Orpik coming back in time and it only being a broken finger and nothing that serious. He was a key part of our PK though, I'm a little worried about how that will hold up. I don't expect it to be bad, just maybe not as pristine as it has been.

Tabris

This is pretty funny:

sportsnetmurph Dan Murphy
HUGE scrum around Booth post practice and AV walks by and says with a chuckle, "welcome to vancouver"

snack

@patersonjeff: Booth says chose 7 because his 16-yr-old sister wears it. Spoke often of family. Said lived with brother in FLA #Canucks

Oh shit, we may have jailbait!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Malkin looked good in practice today, will be taking the trip to NY with the team. Whether he plays is still a game-time decision but his return is imminent.

Tabris

Socreges said:

You better have knocked on wood after saying that. I did it for you this time but don't make that mistake again.

Bettman is trying to cool off the Caps by not letting them play until Thursday.

I feel they'll lose Saturday in Vancouver. I honestly can't remember the last time they won there.

Red_Man

aidan said:
But, but, but, he's a TOP 10 DEFENSEMAN in the league when he's healthy.*

*He's never healthy.
He's had two freak injuries in the last two years and suddenly he's never healthy? OK. They haven't given a official time back, but like I said before expecting him back before December would early for the regular rehab time for his type of injury.

3rd line at practice is:

Malhotra - Hodgson - Hansen

It's a demotion, but playing alongside Malhotra should definitely help Hodgson learn and steady his defensive game.

CCF23

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Bettman is trying to cool off the Caps by not letting them play until Thursday.

I feel they'll lose Saturday in Vancouver. I honestly can't remember the last time they won there.

They better lose. I have tickets, and I don't want to see another shutout like the Rangers game :(

SpectreFire said:
3rd line at practice is:

It's a demotion, but playing alongside Malhotra should definitely help Hodgson learn and steady his defensive game.

God dammit that is a sick fucking line. Depth bro. Not Leafs depth either. Real depth.

aidan

SpectreFire said:
3rd line at practice is:

I think it'll be a good fit. Hodgson's still young and being able to play alongside a guy like Malhotra will be a wonderful step in his development. He's not going to be relied on to make plays or score goals (and god damn could that be frustrating with Malhotra and Hansen on your wings) and can instead work on focussing on the nittier-grittier aspects of the game. Similar to the path Kesler's taken.

aidan said:
I think it'll be a good fit. Hodgson's still young and being able to play alongside a guy like Malhotra will be a wonderful step in his development. He's not going to be relied on to make plays or score goals (and god damn could that be frustrating with Malhotra and Hansen on your wings) and can instead work on focussing on the nittier-grittier aspects of the game. Similar to the path Kesler's taken.
Pretty much. Kesler didn't break out offensively til he was 23 and look at him now. Hodgson has shown that he can keep the seat warm as an offensive centreman, now it's his turn to start back from the bottom and move his way up. Plus, if he's as talented of a playmaker as he's supposed to be, he'll make Malhotra and Hansen light up offensively, and if he screws up, then those two have enough speed and defensive prowess to bail him out.

I'm super excited to see Booth tomorrow though. early into the season and the Canucks have already made two big improvements that plugged up some glaring holes. A legitimate top six winger to solidify the 2nd line, and a hard hitting 4th line that actually finds itself in the offensive zone quite often.

Hell, if everyone reaches their potential, the 2nd line might score as much as the top line.

Tabris

Second line will never score as much as the reigning back to back Art Ross winner line but I agree with everything else you said. I'm going to temper my expectations for 5-10 games as it does take a while to both get used to AV's style (took Ballard a season) and to build chemistry with your line mates. Plus the whole west conference vs east conference hockey differences (it's harder out here).

aidan

SpectreFire said:
Pretty much. Kesler didn't break out offensively til he was 23 and look at him now. Hodgson has shown that he can keep the seat warm as an offensive centreman, now it's his turn to start back from the bottom and move his way up. Plus, if he's as talented of a playmaker as he's supposed to be, he'll make Malhotra and Hansen light up offensively, and if he screws up, then those two have enough speed and defensive prowess to bail him out.

I'm super excited to see Booth tomorrow though. early into the season and the Canucks have already made two big improvements that plugged up some glaring holes. A legitimate top six winger to solidify the 2nd line, and a hard hitting 4th line that actually finds itself in the offensive zone quite often.

Hell, if everyone reaches their potential, the 2nd line might score as much as the top line.

Yeah, no.

Daniel can probably score another 40 goals this season if he stays healthy. Henrik might score 20, but the man just has a terrible aversion to shooting the puck whenever his brother's on the ice. Burrows will like score around 25 goals again.

Kesler has already scored 41 goals once, I doubt he'll reach that again this season, but 30 is definitely reachable, maybe even 35, Booth has the potential to score 30, and Higgins could possibly score 20-25 if he keeps up the pace.

By that math, first line has the potential to hit 85 goals this season, and the second line has the potential to hit 80-85.

Tabris

Oh, just back to my previous post, it looks like the west domination of the east is still in effect (people were rating that East would do better than the West due to the off-season signings):

West vs East record: 17-10-6

Tabris

SpectreFire said:
By that math, first line has the potential to hit 85 goals this season, and the second line has the potential to hit 80-85.

The bigger difference is the first line involves the defense in their scoring a lot more. If you're talking straight up goals, there's a chance, but if you are talking about goals scored while that line is on the ice (Goals for the team), then the second line will never be able to pass the first line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom