• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

yodathesoda said:
Do I really need to visit BC Place to compare it to Century Link?
I went to BC Place to watch a game about 23 years ago, that's all that needs to be judged really. Seriously man, get real.

Old BC Place:

bc_game.jpg

New BC Place:

player_reviews_and_photos_from_the_new_bc_place.jpg
bclions2_web.jpg

Vancouver dwellers, what part of the city do you live/have you lived in? My wife is from the West End, so that part of the city I know really well (and dtwn too I guess).

Seattle's a fantastic city as well; I love downtown, Capitol Hill and Queen Anne. The university district is a bit of a blight though, and the entire Pioneer Square area is just begging for wholesale gentrification.

And as much as I hate to say it: Wally Buono > Pete Carroll.

Tabris

Here's different camera placement then (note this is for whitecaps so half the stadium is blocked off). If you can't tell the difference you're blind.

slider-whitecaps-bc-place.jpg

bcplace1.jpg

FYI, the renovation, roof and screen cost Vancouver $563 million. The entire Qwest Field cost $430 million. Qwest field is amazing, no doubt about that, but I'm more impressed by the new screen and roof in BC Place.

Socreges

Banned
Tabris said:
FYI, the renovation, roof and screen cost Vancouver $563 million. The entire Qwest Field cost $430 million. Qwest field is amazing, no doubt about that, but I'm more impressed by the new screen and roof in BC Place.
And the spectrum of retardation is complete. From yodathesoda's MORE EXPENSIVE = WORSE to Tabris' MORE EXPENSIVE = SUPERIOR

Tabris

Socreges said:
And the spectrum of retardation is complete. From yodathesoda's MORE EXPENSIVE = WORSE to Tabris' MORE EXPENSIVE = SUPERIOR

It's never complete without your final comments, you're the andy rooney of the spectrum of retardation.

So did the Spaghetti Factory pay for your relocation or was that all on you?

My point is that I pay much less for the equal quality of living in Seattle. I get more for less than you could dream of in Van while not suffering from lack of Culture or sports teams like if I lived in a hick town and in many cases its better than vancouver in those areas. Vancouver has a facade of multiculturalism and friendliness when the reality is cultural divides, hipsters and snobby attitudes. BC Place is Still an ugly piece of shit with a new coat of paint. I'm judging having lived in both and that's all I got left on this.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You'd think by now you guys would just stop responding to anything Tabris says, it never ends well.

Tabris

yodathesoda said:

My point is that I pay much less for the equal quality of living in Seattle. I get more for less than you could dream of in Van while not suffering from lack of Culture or sports teams like if I lived in a hick town and in many cases its better than vancouver in those areas. Vancouver has a facade of multiculturalism and friendliness when the reality is cultural divides, hipsters and snobby attitudes. BC Place is Still an ugly piece of shit with a new coat of paint. I'm judging having lived in both and that's all I got left on this.

a) You have 2 major league sports teams, we have 3.
b) Vancouver has a much greater mix of cultural and ethnic diversity statistically than Seattle will ever have.
c) It's not equal quality of living. Vancouver is ranked 3rd in the most liveable city in the world and was several years in a row. Seattle was no where near the top 10.
d) You are basing your opinion of BC Place without having been there since the changes.
e) You lived here 23 years ago? Things change. Back then Seattle was at the centre of a generation change and music epicentre, that's been lost for Seattle for a while.

The above are facts.

Socreges

Banned
yodathesoda said:
Is this for me? The Factory compensated me with unlimited bread baskets.

I work for a BC ministry, 90% of which are located in the capital of the province.

Tabris said:
The fuck?

Tabris

Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Whitecaps and BC Lions.

CFL is still considered a professional sports major league. We both have MLS. We have NHL and they have NFL.

EDIT - God damn it, I forgot about the Mariners for a moment. They've been so quiet lately. 3 and 3.

Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders, Storm! And NCAA Huskies football and basketball. Plus possible future NBA and NHL teams.

b) Vancouver has a much greater mix of cultural and ethnic diversity statistically than Seattle will ever have.

That's fantastic. They all don't talk to each other.

c) It's not equal quality of living. Vancouver is ranked 3rd in the most liveable city in the world and was several years in a row. Seattle was no where near the top 10.

Yea, rich spoiled kids have a great time there. East Hastings is beautiful.

d) You are basing your opinion of BC Place without having been there.

I'm basing it on being an old ugly piece of shit.

e) You lived here 23 years ago? Things change. Seattle used to be a musical epicentre before, that's now gone.

Seattle music scene also shits on Vancouvers.

The above are facts.

Socreges

Banned
Tabris said:
Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Whitecaps and BC Lions.

CFL is still considered a professional sports major league. We both have MLS. We have NHL and they have NFL.
Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders.

If you're going to count the Lions, then you also have to count the Seattle Storm.

yodathesoda said:

Seriously? Are you really complaining about hipsters and snobby attitudes coming from Seattle?

You people pretty much created hipsters.

Socreges

Banned
yodathesoda said:

Flat-out wrong, deluded perception of Vancouver. You sound like you were stuffed in one too many lockers.

Now someone please get this thread back on topic.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
We go from hockey hotties to this. Thanks Tabris. And you probably think everyone hates you because you're a Canucks fan.

Tabris

East Hastings is slowly becoming beautiful actually. I work right in East Hastings. It's got an interesting look and it's now starting to become gentrified. Also all those culturally and socio-economically different people in an area makes it interesting. Give it 5 more years and it will be radically changed while still keeping it's roots.

Also why are you blaming me? Yoda's the one who started bringing up Vancouver vs Seattle, and I just countered along with Socreges.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Tabris said:
Also why are you blaming me? Yoda's the one who started bringing up Vancouver vs Seattle, and I just countered along with Socreges.

You started it by spouting out shit about Seattle and the Supersonics, which you quickly dropped when you realized you knew nothing about it.

Tabris

Spire said:
You started it by spouting out shit about Seattle and the Supersonics, which you quickly dropped when you realized you knew nothing about it.

I still defend that since Seattle didn't push hard enough to build them a stadium (people affect politics), it's the fault of Seattle not supporting Sonics enough and since they were losing money in that old stadium, the owner moved them.

So back on point and topic, I still say Seattle couldn't support a top salary cap hockey team enough to be profitable as others were saying. They could maybe turn a profit for a while playing like Florida/Dallas/Coyotes at bottom of cap but once they started losing and the original passion they wouldn't be able to maintain the fans to stay profitable.

Hell, before Aquilinis, even Vancouver was having problems staying profitable. That had a bit to do with the exchange rate and non-salary cap era, but still.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Tabris said:
I still defend that since Seattle didn't push hard enough to build them a stadium (people affect politics), it's the fault of Seattle not supporting Sonics enough and since they were losing money in that old stadium, the owner moved them.

The new owner had plans to move the team when he bought them. The public pressured the city council into passing an initiative that prevented the city from accepting a buyout of the arena so they could move early. There were public rallies to keep the team in Seattle. The city of Seattle filed a fucking lawsuit against the ownership group to keep the team there for the remainder of their lease. You can't just make up your own personal theory and act like that settles things. You are wrong about this one. There is plenty of support for an NBA team in Seattle, and probably plenty of support for a NHL team as well.

Tabris said:

So back on point and topic, I still say Seattle couldn't support a top salary cap hockey team enough to be profitable as others were saying. They could maybe turn a profit for a while playing like Florida/Dallas/Coyotes at bottom of cap but once they started losing and the original passion they wouldn't be able to maintain the fans to stay profitable.

Hell, before Aquilinis, even Vancouver was having problems staying profitable. That had a bit to do with the exchange rate and non-salary cap era, but still.
We get 60,000 people to soccer games. We have 3 WHL teams already so it's not a hockey dumb state. With a new arena a team here would do just fine and it's ok to admit.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Game day Budajs in net, I would say I'm nervous as shit but its not like they can play any shittier then they have been. I almost want a lost so that Martin's job is realistically threatened, but if we can win and start a nice streak this week
LOL
I would be forever grateful. Anyone know how well Markstrom or w/e his name is has been playing?

CCF23

yodathesoda said:

Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders, Storm! And NCAA Huskies football and basketball. Plus possible future NBA and NHL teams.

d) You are basing your opinion of BC Place without having been there.

I'm basing it on being an old ugly piece of shit.

e) You lived here 23 years ago? Things change. Seattle used to be a musical epicentre before, that's now gone.

Seattle music scene also shits on Vancouvers.

The above are facts.

I hope this isn't what Vancouverites sound like when they complain about Toronto. Christ, you sound salty.

Annnnnnyway...Anyone else getting really sick of the scheduling? 1-3 games some days, like 12-14 other days. DUMB. Keep the schedule even.

Revenant

CHICAGO IS DA GREATEST CITY EVARR BECAUSE WE HAVE A HUGE BUILDING AND MICHAEL JORDAN. WE ALSO WON A STANLEY CUP RECENTLY IT IS VERY SHINY

I know it was a slow hockey day but c'mon guys.

Slow hockey day? Whatevahhhh yewww guyyyysss. Getzlaf, like, totally... 2 goals... Ummm.

So yeah, Habs and stuff.

(Also Seattle/Vancouver, get back to me when your minimum wage is $15, you get 4 weeks leave a year and all your countries major cities make the top 15 of most liveable cities...)

(... Which I'd all gladly trade
for NHL existence and a booming creative industry).

Erdrick

...And I have Jets tickets.

November 14th against Tampa. My first live NHL game since 96. I've never even been inside the MTS Centre, so this is going to be pretty wild. Time to snag a Jets Jersey while I am at it.

I think we can pull off another win tonight against the Rangers. But who knows? When the Jets play with some actual urgency, they can do well, or at least keep up. Their game just seems horrific in the 3rd period though. Even on Saturday against the Hurricanes, it was like that line from the Simpsons. "Sometimes I think you WANT to fail!" Soooo many penalties (I did not actually see the 3rd as I was driving, past the MTS Centre actually so I heard it all via radio.) It just sounded like they were caving in again.

And nothing against him personally but Johnny Oduya scares the hell out of me when he has the puck in our own zone. I just think "How will he give it away *this* time?" I know he's not terrible, but he sure as hell is playing that way right now.

I can't believe that we're above the Habs, BTW. I'm sure they'll come around, but just... yeah...

Red_Man said:
Game day Budajs in net, I would say I'm nervous as shit but its not like they can play any shittier then they have been. I almost want a lost so that Martin's job is realistically threatened, but if we can win and start a nice streak this week
LOL
I would be forever grateful. Anyone know how well Markstrom or w/e his name is has been playing?
I saw him against the Caps which was his first career start. He looked nervous at first but settled in nicely. He looks huge in net and I think will be a good goalie at some point.

He has the potential to steal this game. I'd be worried.

You guys would have wanted Theo in net.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Marvie_3 said:
I thought I was in a crackhouse in Detroit once. I later found out that it was just the airport.

lol...The airport is like the nicest thing in Detroit outside of Comerica Park and Ford Field.

Marvie_3 said:
It wasn't when I was there. Maybe they hired a janitor since then. :lol
the detroit mcnamara terminal is one of the best airport terminals in the US. i know because i try to get the hell out of detroit whenever possible.

Marvie_3

Banned
scissorfight said:
the detroit mcnamara terminal is one of the best airport terminals in the US. i know because i try to get the hell out of detroit whenever possible.
I don't remember which terminal it was. All I remember was the worst Taco Bell ever, a bunch of stained carpet, and garbage cans that were overflowing onto the floor.

To be fair, it's still better than Newark's airport. Getting stuck there for an extra 6 hours on my way to London because of storms was a fucking nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom