• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Spire said:
You know you're in a bad place when you're glad to win a moral victory against Florida.
Where exactly did I say I was glad for a moral victory? I said it was a decent game and a moral victory but i never said I was happy with it, pens fans are pretty bad at cherry picking quotes.

Solo

Eliminated from the playoffs after 8 games. Feels bad man. Our next 3 games are against Philly and Boston x 2. That's likely a loss and a split. Yeesh. Probably 2-7-2 after 11 games. I'd laugh if I didn't want to cry.

Solo said:
Eliminated from the playoffs after 8 games. Feels bad man. Our next 3 games are against Philly and Boston x 2. That's likely a loss and a split. Yeesh. Probably 2-7-2 after 11 games. I'd laugh if I didn't want to cry.

Flyers had a 12 game winless streak the year they made the finals... Just saying.

Solo said:
Word that Pacioretty might have gotten hurt too.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn habs are nosediving.

Mtl will always have a French speaking coach. Can Muller speak French?
Crawford wouldn't be too bad and neither would hartley. Hell! Throw them all together and get quennville for nordiques reunion!

Red_Man

brucewaynegretzky said:
Flyers had a 12 game winless streak the year they made the finals... Just saying.
Was it at the beginning of the season though? That shit stays with you and can set a tone for the season, and now patches might be out for a little bit. I'm expecting a trade or something and then depending on how we fare against philly and boston, martin will really face the heat.

Red_Man said:
Was it at the beginning of the season though? That shit stays with you and can set a tone for the season, and now patches might be out for a little bit. I'm expecting a trade or something and then depending on how we fare against philly and boston, martin will really face the heat.
Didn't you guys just get that Ukulele guy?

Manics

Banned
Damn tough loss for Habs tonight too.

BobMac said:
Extent of Pacioretty's injury won't be known til Tues. MTL calls it upper body. I am hearing arm or perhaps wrist. Tough time for Habs.

That kid can't catch a break. No revenge against Chara? :(

Red_Man said:

Turns out I was wrong, but they did have a run similar to the Habs now in late November/early December. That's what got Stevens fired. I think the Habs can turn it around. Hopefully they do it in the two against Boston though. Though I wouldn't doubt the Flyers fucking up and giving you guys a big ego boost.

Revenant

Hard to believe the Habs started like this.

I mean looking at the teams they've played an average stat wouldn't have been shocking, but 5 home games and not a win to show for it?

a power play coming in just under 10 percent?

End of this month does them no favors either, the good news is the beginning of November will give them some softer opponents.

fallout

Uuugggghhh. That was painful. Huge pressure from the Jets followed by a dumb penalty which resulted in the winning goal.

Rangers played great in the end, though. Girardi is fantastic.

Red_Man

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Didn't you guys just get that Ukulele guy?
:lol he actually wasn't too shabby tonight, I don't really want a trade because we have a lot of the pieces we need right now, people just need to get healthy / start gelling. I think Martin's really losing the room, he didn't even realize Budaj wanted to come out in the 3rd, and apparently Eller didn't know that Monster switched spots with Riemer on saturday. Wtf is that? I'd rather team lose all the games this week and get Martin booted, then win 2 or 3 and have him stay for the rest of the season.

MPW

brucewaynegretzky said:
Turns out I was wrong, but they did have a run similar to the Habs now in late November/early December. That's what got Stevens fired. I think the Habs can turn it around. Hopefully they do it in the two against Boston though. Though I wouldn't doubt the Flyers fucking up and giving you guys a big ego boost.

briere is not injured right? dude is a habs killer

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'd love to have Muller as coach. It would be all we need.

Oh and get rid of Markov. The guy will come back and leave again in less than seven games.

MPW

Ether_Snake said:
I'd love to have Muller as coach. It would be all we need.

Oh and get rid of Markov. The guy will come back and leave again in less than seven games.

easier said than done

who the fuck would take him right now?

hope he comes back, stays healthy, habs trade him @ trade deadline

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MPW said:
easier said than done

who the fuck would take him right now?

hope he comes back, stays healthy, habs trade him @ trade deadline

I wonder why we took him to begin with. It was a really stupid move.

Red_Man

Ether_Snake said:
If he can come back play well, and there's no management issues he should stay, but if there really are issues with upper management and all that, let him play a bunch of games and get a really good return on him like MPW said, but only if he's got attitude issues, that's the last thing we need right now. We could really use his skills.

Gauthier deserves the Blame for Canadiens woes

Jacques Martin did his best to calm the stormy conditions that surround his Eastern Conference basement-dwelling Montreal Canadiens after a dismal 1-4-2 start.

The button-down Martin pointed out that his team had only four points after seven games two years ago and rallied to make the playoffs and advance all the way to the East final. In 2009-10, the Habs won their first two games, lost their next five and then recovered with four more victories in a row to get themselves back in the hunt for a playoff spot.

The Canadiens have a chance to take a few strides on the road to respectability with a win over the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre on Monday. But it won't be easy. The Canadiens still have injury problems to overcome and mistakes made by general manager Pierre Gauthier.

Gauthier gambled and lost when he failed to put a backup plan in place last summer in case veteran defenceman Andrei Markov did not recover in time from his knee troubles to start the season.

Gauthier had so much confidence that Markov would rebound from his second surgery on his right knee surgery in time for the start of the season that he re-signed the 32-year-old Russian to a three-year, $5.75-million U.S. a season contract last June. Then the Canadiens allowed veteran defencemen James Wisniewski, Roman Hamrlik and Brent Sopel to walk via free agency.

When Markov, who has been limited to 56 regular season and playoff games over the past two seasons because of injuries, wasn't ready to start the season Gauthier signed free-agent Chris Campoli. But Campoli injured his left leg in the season opener and now will miss months.

Meanwhile, Markov has not played since last Nov. 13 and was sent to Florida to further rehab his knee under the watchful eye of Dr. James Andrews.  He is expected to return to action sometime next month.

What has made the sparse blue-line situation even more difficult was the upper-body injury to veteran Jaroslav Spacek, who will return on Monday after a five-game absence. That left Canadiens with a blue line consisting of Hal Gill, Josh Gorges, P.K. Subban, Yannick Weber, Raphael Diaz and Alexei Emelin.

Weber has 56 games of NHL experience, but many of those matches have been as a seldom-used fourth-liner.  Diaz and Emelin are NHL rookies with seven and six games of NHL experience, respectively.

The loss of both Markov and Wisniewski hurts the Canadiens power play. If there has been one area the Habs have been able to count on in the past few seasons, it has been their power play. But that has not been the case this season without one of those two quarterbacking. Montreal only has two power-play goals in 29 chances, which is 29th in the league.

The free-agent Gauthier signed instead of retaining Wisniewski was forward Erik Cole. But the speedy left wing has been unable to get on track in Montreal. He has one assist in seven games.

There are other theories out there regarding the Canadiens horrible start. Some have reasoned that they miss assistant coach Kirk Muller, who was a buffer between Martin and the players. But we're not buying that. Muller, who is now the head coach for the Milwaukee Admirals of the AHL, was replaced by a very capable Randy Cunneyworth.

Some of the Canadiens faithful also have directed their displeasure with the play of netminder Carey Price. He was so good a season ago. But this fall his save percentage (.878) and goals against average (3.13) have him 30th in the league in both categories.

Is this a product of the way the players in front of him have performed or has Price struggled this season? Probably a bit of both. That's why backup Peter Budaj will see his first action of the season against the Panthers on Monday.

Injuries to Mike Cammalleri and Scott Gomez also have not helped the cause. Gauthier's acquisition of centre Petteri Nokelainen and minor-leaguer Garrett Stafford in exchange for Brock Trotter and a seventh-round pick will help the fourth line, but not the offence. Nokelainen only has 17 career goals in 194 games.

In the meantime, however, Gauthier better hope Martin is right: that they can swiftly overcome a poor start like they did two years ago. Otherwise, the Montreal GM should feel the heat for his summer-time moves.

Link

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Remember last year when we scored like one goal in five games, while over 14 were scored against us?

Foreign Jackass said:
I see the Leafs are going back to normal. Who knows, maybe we'll both miss the playoffs this year. That would be sad as hell.

We lost one game without our #1 goalie and centre. When If we're out of the playoff hunt come December 1st then you can make this post.

Erdrick

My boss was nice enough to take me with him to the Jets and Rangers game tonight. My first NHL game since the old team left and the first time I had ever been in the MTS Centre.

My voice is ragged, my throat sore and my ears are still ringing.

It was freaking awesome. =)

Cole, however, insists that he never touched the puck, and under the grim circumstances he doesn't much care either way.

"I didn't realize that was my goal. I'm sure they'll take another look at it, but I'm pretty sure that went off Patch's stick," Cole said. "I guess it doesn't really matter. The result's still the same."

Props to Cole for being honest.

Socreges

Banned
Simon Belmont said:
We lost one game without our #1 goalie and centre. When If we're out of the playoff hunt come December 1st then you can make this post.
I'd say the Leafs will probably make the playoffs this season. They've been beating poor teams and losing to good ones. Even if they keep doing that all year long, they could still slip in to 8th.

Fei

I was just going back to see my pre-season predictions in this thread and came across this gem I missed..

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
I think the discrepancy here is due to you and added_time associating with people of very different socio-economic status.

I'm sure those that can afford to go to Toronto don't spend much of their free time in Buffalo.

I'd call you the worst poster on Leafs-GAF (which is fairly obvious), but I'm pretty sure you're an alt. People like you are the reason... eh, not worth it.

Red_Man

Patches might have broken a wrist, feared to be pretty serious......Yakupov here we come! 29 points in 13 OHL games. What a great season I decided to finally buy center ice.

MPW

Red_Man said:
Patches might have broken a wrist, feared to be pretty serious......Yakupov here we come! 29 points in 13 OHL games. What a great season I decided to finally buy center ice.

lol fuck this season

keep jm and pg so habs tank

fire both in the off season

get #1 pick

give long term contracts to price and pk

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Red_Man said:

Brutal. Fucking injuries.

Red_Man

SCHUEY F1 said:
Brutal. Fucking injuries.
At this point I'm not even surprised, it's pretty comical, unbelievable bad luck. Just counting the days until Price goes down.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Red_Man said:
At this point I'm not even surprised, it's pretty comical, unbelievable bad luck. Just counting the days until Price goes down.

Hopefully the broken wrist reports turn out to be false.

Socreges

Banned
Red_Man said:
Patches might have broken a wrist
il7wMB9fhEzoh.gif

Simon Belmont said:
Nononononono. You lost 3 of your last 5, and won the 2 other games in OT. I'm sorry but you ARE slowly going back to normal.

And... about last night, well... Eller was still our best player. He's consistent defensively, and is constantly working and making good plays in the offensive zone. It's really sad that he's playing with some stiffs, but he'll be the Habs best forward in no time. P.K. also had his first good game of the season, so I guess that's encouraging, but I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have Yakupov then to try to stir that bunch up with a coach change...

Red_Man

In 1-2 years ellers gonna be fucking great and gonna make the halak deal look like a steal and I was one of the people who freaked out when I heard that deal and thought we got fleeced hard.

Soooo what's up nhl gaf?

So we lost but eh, we had Gustavsson in net. I mean, so far we have 27/28 (not sure) goals against. What the fuck? Where's our defence? Or better, our so call OMFG BEST GOALIE DUO TANDEM EVARRRRR!!!!!. Leaf fans, we are going to be lucky if we made the post season, if our offence can keep up with the amount of goals we let in, sure; we have a chance. But if they don't, then forget it. If we do make it, we better pray Reimer/Gustavsson play well. The blame also needs to go to our defence core. Everyone involved except for Gunnarsson, Phaneuf, Schenn (maybe?) and the rest all need VAST improvement.

The game on Saturday against Montreal was very entertaining and I'm glad we won the game.

And we lost to the flyers today.

But Kessel and Lupul are honestly freaking INCREDIBLE. I love it. Kessel is the points leader for now.

Anyone got an update on when will Connoly be back?

@ Flyers gaf, hows Chris Pronger doing?

I'm so happy for Jagr, dude was phenomenal in the game today. I mean, it must feel good to shut the haters up (even though it was 7/8 games in) and it had to be against the the leafs too! :( I missed him.

FortunateSon said:
Soooo what's up nhl gaf?

So we lost but eh, we had Gustavsson in net. I mean, so far we have 27/28 (not sure) goals against. What the fuck? Where's our defence? Or better, our so call OMFG BEST GOALIE DUO TANDEM EVARRRRR!!!!!. Leaf fans, we are going to be lucky if we made the post season, if our offence can keep up with the amount of goals we let in, sure; we have a chance. But if they don't, then forget it. If we do make it, we better pray Reimer/Gustavsson play well. The blame also needs to go to our defence core. Everyone involved except for Gunnarsson, Phaneuf, Schenn (maybe?) and the rest all need VAST improvement.

The game on Saturday against Montreal was very entertaining and I'm glad we won the game.

And we lost to the flyers today.

But Kessel and Lupul are honestly freaking INCREDIBLE. I love it. Kessel is the points leader for now.

Anyone got an update on when will Connoly be back?

@ Flyers gaf, hows Chris Pronger doing?

I'm so happy for Jagr, dude was phenomenal in the game today. I mean, it must feel good to shut the haters up (even though it was 7/8 games in) and it had to be against the the leafs too! :( I missed him.

There's an article about Pronger on NHL.com apparently he had blurred vision after the accident and at the time he was sent home yesterday his vision was still not improved. His eye was swollen shut apparently also. Apparently they hope to find out more in the next couple of days what the status of his eys is but apparently they're also worried about blood building up behind his eye which can cause problems also. But they don't think it will be too serious and hopefully will be back in a couple weeks but the visits to the doctor in the next couple days will make things more certain.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
There's an article about Pronger on NHL.com apparently he had blurred vision after the accident and at the time he was sent home yesterday his vision was still not improved. His eye was swollen shut apparently also. Apparently they hope to find out more in the next couple of days what the status of his eys is but apparently they're also worried about blood building up behind his eye which can cause problems also. But they don't think it will be too serious and hopefully will be back in a couple weeks but the visits to the doctor in the next couple days will make things more certain.

That doesn't sound good (eye swollen shut part). Honestly, I really hope he recovers. Is it both his eyes? At least he was sent home, so that should be some good news right otherwise they would have rushed him to the hospital?

Like you said, hopefully nothing too serious and he can be back. Well, we should get confirmation soon on waht's going on.

All the best to him.

Thanks!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Red_Man said:
Where exactly did I say I was glad for a moral victory? I said it was a decent game and a moral victory but i never said I was happy with it, pens fans are pretty bad at cherry picking quotes.

Relax man. You sounded like a moral victory was a positive, I didn't cherry pick anything.

FortunateSon said:
That doesn't sound good (eye swollen shut part). Honestly, I really hope he recovers. Is it both his eyes? At least he was sent home, so that should be some good news right otherwise they would have rushed him to the hospital?

Like you said, hopefully nothing too serious and he can be back. Well, we should get confirmation soon on waht's going on.

All the best to him.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's just one eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom