• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

Marvie_3 said:
Brunette is too slow to even get to the crease most of the time. :lol
They should compete in a speed skating contest. Actually a skills competition where the worst players at every discipline compete would be awesome. Grinders doing the accuracy shooting, small, soft forwards in the hardest slapshot contest, and big d-men with no hands trying to get through those technique challenges :lol

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
I only watched the first and half of the second, and we were pretty good at the start, but I knew we wouldn't score after that utter domination in the first that led to absolutely nothing because everybody looked clueless as to how to finish a play.

Train those fuckers real hard this weekend, JM...
Thoughts on the Leafs?

Solo

So, some thoughts after sleeping on it:
- Price looks to be picking up where he left off. Our only guy who played great.
- Overall chemistry was horrendous. I was right in saying that Martin was way too late in making his cuts. You can't have the first game of the season be your first game with the lineup and hope things will be smooth.
- Cole needs to be on the first line to start the next game
- Desharnais looked really bad
- Cunneyworth needs to call Muller and get his notes on how to run competent special teams. Pleks and AK on the point? lol wut.

Curufinwe

MacAttack said:
Milbury just called Luongo the "A-Rod" of the NHL. Apparently A-rod struck out with the bases loaded as the Yankees got eliminated in a Game 5 of the ALDS. :lol

A-Rod has a ring, though.

Curufinwe said:
A-Rod has a ring, though.

Lol. I guess Luongo just needs to wait for them to go crazy one offseason and buy a ton of players to win him a ring. Arod is the same loser he has always been. Getting carried to that 1 ring doesnt change anything.

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
So, some thoughts after sleeping on it:
- Price looks to be picking up where he left off. Our only guy who played great.
- Overall chemistry was horrendous. I was right in saying that Martin was way too late in making his cuts. You can't have the first game of the season be your first game with the lineup and hope things will be smooth.
- Cole needs to be on the first line to start the next game
- Desharnais looked really bad
- Cunneyworth needs to call Muller and get his notes on how to run competent special teams. Pleks and AK on the point? lol wut.

Price was fantastic with that 0.889 save %

Solo

Manics said:
Price was fantastic with that 0.889 save %

Oh teh noes, he let in 2 goals when his team* hung him out to dry!

*actually in both cases, "team" could be reduced to "PK Subban"

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
Oh teh noes, he let in 2 goals when his team* hung him out to dry!

*actually in both cases, "team" could be reduced to "PK Subban"

Of course, but when it was 1-0 there was still a chance, he let in the backbreaking 2nd goal and was outclassed by Reimer, as I expected all along.

You had the bold, wild predictions before gametime of 5-1 and 4-0 scores, while Manics was quietly confident in the depth carrying the Leafs through. As advertised for the first game, strong in goal, strong on D. Great win.

Manics said:
Of course, but when it was 1-0 there was still a chance, he let in the backbreaking 2nd goal and was outclassed by Reimer, as I expected all along.

You had the bold, wild predictions before gametime of 5-1 and 4-0 scores, while Manics was quietly confident in the depth carrying the Leafs through. As advertised for the first game, strong in goal, strong on D. Great win.
:lol

This post has:

/heart!!!

Samyy

Really pleased with the leafs d-core last night. For the past couple seasons we've seemed to have a great core on paper but it hasn't translated to on ice performance, hopefully thats different this season.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I thought gill played well for the Habs, at least

He shut down every rush from kessel and was doing good on the PK

As for our D, I must say liles is pretty good and dynamic - hard to believe Schenn was the worst on the ice last night but he didn't have a bad game except for a bad give away and (intentionally) missing checks

Fei

Sabres-Ducks and Kings-Rangers in three hours! Strange starting the season in Europe, but I can't wait. Ducks and Kings are tough games to start the season with. I have big expectations this season, but they're tempered at the start while they find their chemistry. I'd be happy with a Euro split.

Manics

Banned
Samyy said:
Really pleased with the leafs d-core last night. For the past couple seasons we've seemed to have a great core on paper but it hasn't translated to on ice performance, hopefully thats different this season.
Addition of Liles helps + the continued maturation of Schenn and Gunnarson. Phaneuf is also playing well since last Jan or so. I think this is the year the D plays like we hope.

I also thought the D looked great last night. There weren't too many times we got hemmed in out own zone, and even when we did the guys did a pretty good job of keeping players on the outside, away from the slot. The PK was particularly good, it's nice to have someone that can go out there and win the majority of his faceoffs in those situations.

It's only the first game, but they did all the right things (first period aside) - protected a lead, killed penalties, and worked harder than the other guys.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Simon Belmont said:
I also thought the D looked great last night. There weren't too many times we got hemmed in out own zone, and even when we did the guys did a pretty good job of keeping players on the outside, away from the slot. The PK was particularly good, it's nice to have someone that can go out there and win the majority of his faceoffs in those situations.

It's only the first game, but they did all the right things (first period aside) - protected a lead, killed penalties, and worked harder than the other guys.

I honestly think a big reason for this is they all feel confident in Reimer. You can do your job a bit easier knowing that he's not going to let in a softie.

Ok, I'm new to hockey and got interested because of NHL 12. Now that I'm watching real hockey, I noticed the when a team is advancing to the oppents zone, the puck handler has to be the first to cross the blue line before teammates. In the real game all the skaters will sprint and time it so no one breaks stride and you get two or three people skating at the net with the same momentum. In the video game, everyone just stops at the blue line and waits for you to cross. Is this something that's just hard to program in videogame hockey?

Kave_Man said:
I honestly think a big reason for this is they all feel confident in Reimer. You can do your job a bit easier knowing that he's not going to let in a softie.

When our goalies play well, our D plays better. We've just seen so many goalies have promising starts and then collapse...I really hope this doesn't end up being more of the same.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
KoruptData said:
Ok, I'm new to hockey and got interested because of NHL 12. Now that I'm watching real hockey, I noticed the when a team is advancing to the oppents zone, the puck handler has to be the first to cross the blue line before teammates. In the real game all the skaters will sprint and time it so no one breaks stride and you get two or three people skating at the net with the same momentum. In the video game, everyone just stops at the blue line and waits for you to cross. Is this something that's just hard to program in videogame hockey?

The game's problem is that it's too hesitant to dump the puck in. In real games they'll shoot it into the zone and race the D to get it, since the offense usually has more momentum they tend to win and are able to set up. In the game the CPU really only dumps it in after it's determined it can't carry it in safely. It'll cycle around in the neutral zone for 5-10 seconds bringing everyone to a standstill on the blue line before it decides to send the puck in.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The first period was sloppy as fuck in the Habs/Leafs game. Habs used their speed to put a runaround on the Leafs. Thank god for Lombardi's shorty due to Habs' over aggressiveness on the PP.

My hope is this is the early Calgary Phaneuf. The period in his career where he actually hit the fucking net!

He has a booming shot and hits hard, but he seemed to lose his confidence. I do recall a lot of Flames fans berating him for his missed hits and poor positioning, but it wasn't a big issue for us when he was on the ice last year. Hindsight definitely shows we fleeced Calgary on that deal. Phaneuf/Aulie is MUCH better than spare parts.

The great fleecing has continued with Steckel...for a 4TH?!!??!?! I know Lou had to worry about the cap, but he seriously couldn't get a prospect at least?

- Depth on D (Phaneuf, Gunny, Schenn, etc etc etc)
- Good prospects (Aulie, Gardiner, Colborne)
- Solid role players (Armstrong, Steckel, Phaneuf)
- Solid players in the wings (Connelly, Franson, MacArthur)
- Reimer's play (I'm glad the preseason didn't get to him)

Dislikes
- Still no 1st line centreman (Connelly is not the answer)
- Players with a history of injuries (Connelly, Lombardi)
- Lack of speed (Aside from Lombardi, we get outskated WAY too often)
- We need Kessel to be consistent and MORE than a 30 goal scorer. (I don't want to have to remember giving up a 2nd overall for someone who is an inconsistent scorer)

I believe we have our draft picks this year except for our fourth (I'm fine with Steckel). I also believe this year or next is the last we'll have to worry about the albatross that is Tucker's buyout affecting our cap.

Solo

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Honestly Solo, all jokes aside, I'd be concerned about Cole. Dude looked slow as fuck last night and ineffective.

MPW just might be right you know.

Third line status and third line minutes. Lets wait and see a full game where he plays on the Plekanec line.

Samyy said:
Please, really tire em out for us. Not that we need the help.

Evey time Ottawa plays the Laughs this season it's on the 2nd night of back to back games for us.

Something is broken with the NHL Scheduling monkeys, what are the odds ?

Solo

Habs sign some D-plug from Florida on a 2 way deal. A band-aid until Campoli/Markov are back, I guess.

Solo

Zombie James said:
TSN 1050 ripping into Jacques Martin, nice.

Well, frankly about 85% of the problems last night were due to him. Bad line combos, bad special teams combos and tactics, no adjustments for the third period, etc.

Its weird. After 3 seasons I can now say that Martin is some kind of bi-polar coaching idiot savant. He's either running a completely busted gameplan (like last night) or hes running an almost flawless shutdown game and making adjustments/outcoaching the shit out of the opposing coach (like the 2010 playoffs). Awesome when he's on, but so incredibly frustrating when he's not.

Manics said:
Thoughts on the Leafs?
My only interest in the Leafs is from my keepers league. I've got Franson and Kadri. Tells you how much I was interested about your lineup, I guess.

Seriously though, the part I watched (the first, mainly), your team looked completely cathatonic. I take it that the Leafs were better in the rest of the game, since, you know, the Leafs won, but I can't express myself on this. I saw Lombardi's goal, though, and I always liked the guy, so yeah, I think he'll have a good season for you if he can stay healthy.

Manics said:
Manics is expecting daughter #3! No future Leafs in the Manics household.

I'm expecting either Bones Jr #3 or Bonesette #1 in early November. After 2 fire-breathing sons I'd welcome the respite a daughter would bring.

editL FJ, that's how I felt as well. It was more a case of which team was crappiest last night.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Manics said:

I'm expecting either Bones Jr #3 or Bonesette #1 in early November. After 2 fire-breathing sons I'd welcome the respite a daughter would bring.

Congrats to you both!

Mike Weber scratched for Buffalo. So that means Marc-Andre Gragnani won the #6 defense spot. Not much of a shock since Gragnani was on the power play most of the pre-season.

Manics

Banned
bonesmccoy said:

editL FJ, that's how I felt as well. It was more a case of which team was crappiest last night.

Congrats man! Girls are great, when they want to be daddy's little girl they make you feel like the most special guy in the world. Plus girls are caring and look after dear old dad when we get old. Best of luck! (even if you have boy #3) ;-)

Solo

Campoli out 3 weeks w/ hamstring injury

Fuck you, hockey gods if you're giving us a third straight season of a decimated D-corps. More like D-corpse, amirite?

Nice win for the Leafs but I'm not as sure about the defence as most people. I don't know the stats but it seems like Montreal had way more shots on goal last night.
Cool shut-out for Reimer for sure.

"1 week

Leafs win, you get a Leafs avatar
Habs win, you get a Habs avatar
Last edited by BigJonsson : 10-05-2011 at 04:14 PM. "

I did name my terms :p

Marvie_3

Banned
pringles said:
They should compete in a speed skating contest. Actually a skills competition where the worst players at every discipline compete would be awesome. Grinders doing the accuracy shooting, small, soft forwards in the hardest slapshot contest, and big d-men with no hands trying to get through those technique challenges :lol
This might actually get me to watch some of the All-Star stuff.

Manics said:
She won't ever play for the Leafs but with all the whining and crying she'll do, she'll make a perfect Leafs fan.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Solo said:
Campoli out 3 weeks w/ hamstring injury

Fuck you, hockey gods if you're giving us a third straight season of a decimated D-corps. More like D-corpse, amirite?

Here's an idea: stop signing Markov to long-term contracts.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
There, next time you need to respond to me or I'm not doing it, I specifically asked if you were doing the bet with me or Solo, and you didn't answer me, and you didn't answer Solo.

Aidan said:
Here's an idea: stop signing Markov to long-term contracts.
I didn't realize Markov's contract was responsible for Campoli's injury thanks Dr. Rechhi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom