• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the Sens be the East's sleeper team? It's probably too much to ask, given that I doubt Spezza and Alfredsson will last the entire season, but I do think they've got the core talent to make life difficult for the bubble teams. Toronto, Montreal, Carolina, Rangers, New Jersey and even Buffalo could really struggle against them.

Detroit would trounce Toronto in the regular season, like it has always been, and the Leafs would take them in a glorious 7 game 1st round battle.

In 2017.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
bonesmccoy said:
Can the Sens be the East's sleeper team? It's probably too much to ask, given that I doubt Spezza and Alfredsson will last the entire season, but I do think they've got the core talent to make life difficult for the bubble teams. Toronto, Montreal, Carolina, Rangers, New Jersey and even Buffalo could really struggle against them.

Detroit would trounce Toronto in the regular season, like it has always been, and the Leafs would take them in a glorious 7 game 1st round battle.

In 2017.
Really man? I mean really? They might and will probably pull out victories against those teams, but by no means will they ever be a threat to the bubble teams.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Epic Tales of Penis said:

s25yu.jpg

And lol @ Cooke being tied for most goals.

MacAttack

Tabris said:
It's obvious I need to wait until 10 games into the season before posting here as TOR fans are crazy right now.

Just to be safe, why don't we wait until the All-Star break for your glorious return.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tabris said:
It's obvious I need to wait until 10 games into the season before posting here as TOR fans are crazy right now.
The hell you talking about?

I see only two posts that are positive about the Leafs and many more negative in the past 100 posts.

Smh

You leaf haters are as blind and one-sided as the leafs lovees.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Giard said:
IIRC, John-Michael Liles lead the league in points for a while last year. :p

Yeah, the difference is this ain't gonna stop! The Letang Train is rollin' baby! Get on board or spend the rest of the season with that beautiful black hair slappin' you in the face! WOOOO-WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Also Dreger reports Malkin's knee is sore, which is what I thought. This "lower body injury" vagueness clubs put out is so annoying.

Socreges said:
Ottawa: best third period team?

As for Detroit moving to the East, I really don't see why they'd find it so easy. The East has gotten stronger and Detroit has gotten (and will get) weaker. Definitely would suck to lose a team like that, though. The conference would be a little less interesting for sure.

That's debatable considering we do have some good prospects in the fold and you never know what can come out of free agency. Yeah a lot of our stars are getting older, but that doesn't mean they won't be replaced in some form or another. It's more of a wait and see approach than to just say, yeah they keep getting weaker.

Wings won't go to the East when the Coyotes are likely moving to Quebec City next season (in which, I was just there for the first time last weekend with the girlfriend, and damn that hill is a bit of a bitch when going up to the Old Town).

bonesmccoy said:

In 2017.

Honestly, Ottawa is a talented team, but very raw. The defence is prone to some serious mistakes and will likely spell the end of the season for this team this year. But if guys like Gonchar and Phillips can keep their shit levels to a minimum, who knows what can happen. Karlsson is seriously pretty fucking amazing and Runblad had a pretty damn good first game too. Alfie still has it, last year he was injured and it showed. He looks completely different this year and back to normal...which is crazy for a 38 year old. Spezza is the best player on the team though, but has no wingers so someone needs to step up if this team is to go anywhere.

May16

I heard the Pittsburgh hockey Penguins will play a hockey game soon.

I heard they have a big star who had a concussion.

I WONDER IF HE WILL SEE SOME DOCTORS SOON. I WONDER IF HE WILL GIVE AN UPDATE ON HIS SITUATION. I WONDER IF HE WILL PLAY IN THE GAME. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HE HAS SEEN SOME DOCTORS? I'LL BET HE HASN'T SEEN ANY DOCTORS OR SPOKEN PUBLICLY ABOUT HIS CONDITION, BUT I SURE WISH HE WOULD!!!! WON'T ANYONE IN THE MEDIA PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE!?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
May16 said:
I heard the Pittsburgh hockey Penguins will play a hockey game soon.

I heard they have a big star who had a concussion.

I WONDER IF HE WILL SEE SOME DOCTORS SOON. I WONDER IF HE WILL GIVE AN UPDATE ON HIS SITUATION. I WONDER IF HE WILL PLAY IN THE GAME. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HE HAS SEEN SOME DOCTORS? I'LL BET HE HASN'T SEEN ANY DOCTORS OR SPOKEN PUBLICLY ABOUT HIS CONDITION, BUT I SURE WISH HE WOULD!!!! WON'T ANYONE IN THE MEDIA PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE!?

Get out of here Roenick.

Tabris

I agree with Roenick. Too much. Let me know when he's cleared for contact, otherwise stop wasting space on Sportscentre for it.

Spire said:
Also Dreger reports Malkin's knee is sore, which is what I thought. This "lower body injury" vagueness clubs put out is so annoying.

But it can also be hilarious, like when Torres had food poisoning and AV reported it as a "lower and upper body injury".

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tabris said:
I agree with Roenick. Too much. Let me know when he's cleared for contact, otherwise stop wasting space on Sportscentre for it.
One of the few times I'd agree with Tabris, I'm really tired of seeing him in a practice jersey saying "I feel great waiting to hear from the doctors" every fucking day on SC, until there's solid news let it be.

Socreges

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
That's debatable considering we do have some good prospects in the fold and you never know what can come out of free agency. Yeah a lot of our stars are getting older, but that doesn't mean they won't be replaced in some form or another. It's more of a wait and see approach than to just say, yeah they keep getting weaker.
Debatable? No, I've already seen the future and Jeff Finger is quarterbacking your powerplay after signing a 12-year deal with the Wings.

Socreges said:
Debatable? No, I've already seen the future and Jeff Finger is quarterbacking your powerplay after signing a 12-year deal with the Wings.

:(

That's fine, we will have signed Conklin to a similar contract and he will prevent a goal from ever being scored on us again.

lupinko

NHLGAF I have a question, I'm thinking about finally putting names on my two sweaters, I have an OG CCM Away (now Home) Leafs one that I want to put Dougie Gilmour on (with the A, since as much as Killer is the man, Wendel will always be Captain to me), and I have a yellow (don't ask how lol) Blackhawks jersey that I figure I should put good old JR on it.

Should I do it or just leave them as is?

snack

lupinko said:
NHLGAF I have a question, I'm thinking about finally putting names on my two sweaters, I have an OG CCM Away (now Home) Leafs one that I want to put Dougie Gilmour on (with the A, since as much as Killer is the man, Wendel will always be Captain to me), and I have a yellow (don't ask how lol) Blackhawks jersey that I figure I should put good old JR on it.

Should I do it or just leave them as is?
Leave them as they are. It'll save you from the awkward stares.

bonesmccoy said:

Possible but highly unlikely. Way too many things have to go right. Core staying healthy, breakout seasons from the rookies in the lineup and Vezina-caliber performance from Anderson. I doubt we'll be last in the East though.

Buba Big Guns said:
Honestly, Ottawa is a talented team, but very raw. The defence is prone to some serious mistakes and will likely spell the end of the season for this team this year. But if guys like Gonchar and Phillips can keep their shit levels to a minimum, who knows what can happen. Karlsson is seriously pretty fucking amazing and Runblad had a pretty damn good first game too. Alfie still has it, last year he was injured and it showed. He looks completely different this year and back to normal...which is crazy for a 38 year old. Spezza is the best player on the team though, but has no wingers so someone needs to step up if this team is to go anywhere.

Greening is looking like that power forward we haven't found in 20 years in the NHL. Fastest skater on the team last year, 100+ mph slap shot and built like Chara. If Butler removes his head from his ass he may be good as well but I hear he has an attitude problem.

Biggest problem is some of the defense playing like lobotomized Brett Lebda's. They were better last night but if they don't tighten up it doesn't matter what the rest of the team does, these guys will blow it.

Gonchar has an "I'm too old for this shit" attitude on the ice. Gotta be the worst FA signing in the last couple of years. Thankfully only 1 more year on his contract after this year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Something Wicked said:
Wings won't go to the East when the Coyotes are likely moving to Quebec City next season (in which, I was just there for the first time last weekend with the girlfriend, and damn that hill is a bit of a bitch when going up to the Old Town).

Stadium most likely won't be ready yet and bet on another Eastern team moving west in the next 3-5 years. That's why Detroit moving east is probably a done deal.

Alucard said:
Chin-ups with 120 pounds of extra weight...I can't even do one with my own weight. I suck. Time to get into shape.
Those are honestly not that hard to do but the extra weight is impressive.

Now if he was doing wide grip chin-ups with that weight...

TUSR

Banned
Spire said:
Yeah, the difference is this ain't gonna stop! The Letang Train is rollin' baby! Get on board or spend the rest of the season with that beautiful black hair slappin' you in the face! WOOOO-WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I figured yesterday when I said he looked like shit, I knew his knee was giving him problems.

Silexx

KernelPanic said:
Gonchar has an "I'm too old for this shit" attitude on the ice. Gotta be the worst FA signing in the last couple of years. Thankfully only 1 more year on his contract after this year.
The only saving grace with Gonchar, though it's not a guarantee, is that he wants to play for Russia in Sochi meaning that at one point or another he'll need to step up in order to win a spot on the roster. But who knows, I guess.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Goofiest moment of the game. First the botched face-off and then Fleury losing sight of the puck and diving the wrong way.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Dastardly Jerks said:
But it can also be hilarious, like when Torres had food poisoning and AV reported it as a "lower and upper body injury".

I don't always love AV... but I could've kissed the guy when he said that. Great sense of humour.

Plinko said:
Stadium most likely won't be ready yet and bet on another Eastern team moving west in the next 3-5 years. That's why Detroit moving east is probably a done deal.

If no one purchases the Coyotes to stay in the Phoenix metro, then the Yotes will being moving somewhere for next season. Quebec City has the ownership group ready and shovels going into the ground this upcoming spring for the new stadium, which the team can use the Colisee for the first couple years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Something Wicked said:
If no one purchases the Coyotes to stay in the Phoenix metro, then the Yotes will being moving somewhere for next season. Quebec City has the ownership group ready and shovels going into the ground this upcoming spring for the new stadium, which the team can use the Colisee for the first couple years.

I still don't think the Coyotes end up moving. Bettman is hellbent on them staying put--if the league wanted them to move, they'd have been gone two years ago.

Besides, as I said earlier, I fully expect another team in the Eastern Conference to relocate west in a few years.

Plinko said:
I still don't think the Coyotes end up moving. Bettman is hellbent on them staying put--if the league wanted them to move, they'd have been gone two years ago.

Besides, as I said earlier, I fully expect another team in the Eastern Conference to relocate west in a few years.

Yeah but you're assuming Gary Bettman is a logically coherent person. He may be sitting in his office saying "Look how excited people got when we moved a team to Winnipeg! We should totally do that again!"

Who? You think an eastern team is more likely than the Preds or BJs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom