• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
LoneWolf296 said:
As much as I don't like Bobs getting his starts (most likely) cut, I know he is going to be a solid and reliable backup should Bryz need the time off, the only other respectable backup in the league is Cory Schneider so tonight should be interesting to see how ours and Vans starters hold up!

Bernier should be included on that list.

Also with Bobrovsky hopefully Bryz wont start so many games this season and keep fresh for the playoffs (5th in games played last 2 seasons with 68-69 each gets knocked down to say 55 this season with any luck, we both know Bobs has at least 30 games to contribute)

But if hes hot, Lavy tends to keep it going until he doesnt realize theyre not playing so hot like he did last year with Leino so who knows

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
LoneWolf296 said:
If anything maybe Brayden Holtby, Bernier has yet to truly shine (maybe this year)

Isn't Holtby in the minors? Or are the Caps carrying three goaltenders?

SpectreFire said:
How do you forget Tukka Rask?

Honestly, I count Rask as a starter who's stuck behind a Vezina winner.

Socreges

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
Actually this is kind of logically incorrect. If the only way to measure the quality of a team is by how far they make it in the playoffs then it is perfectly appropriate.
I explained my logic (larger sample across many opponents). Now explain yours!

Keep in mind his point was that the 09/10 Red Wings (104 points) were a superior team to the 05/06 Red Wings (124 points) because the former WON in the first round against the Coyotes (and lost in the second round) while the latter LOST in the first round to the Oilers (who eventually made it to Game 7 of the SCF).

I'm not arguing that the playoffs aren't the ultimate season and that an additional round trumps any regular season performance in importance. I just think that's a poor way of comparing the quality of rosters for a team from year to year.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
aidan said:
Isn't Holtby in the minors? Or are the Caps carrying three goaltenders?

Honestly, I count Rask as a starter who's stuck behind a Vezina winner.

Yeah Holtby is in the AHL right now but will be called up if either goalie gets hurt. He was great last year.

Socreges said:
I explained my logic (larger sample across many opponents). Now explain yours!

Keep in mind his point was that the 09/10 Red Wings (104 points) were a superior team to the 05/06 Red Wings (124 points) because the former WON in the first round against the Coyotes (and lost in the second round) while the latter LOST in the first round to the Oilers (who eventually made it to Game 7 of the SCF).

I'm not arguing that the playoffs aren't the ultimate season and that an additional round trumps any regular season performance in importance. I just think that's a poor way of comparing the quality of rosters for a team from year to year.

I'm arguing that saying that playoffs aren't appropriate as a gauge if it is in fact true that they are a gauge of a team is logically invalid. I'm not talking about which measure is better. I'm just saying you dismissed one measure in a logically inconsistent manner.

If I say "Teams who make it farther in the playoffs are better than teams that get less far." (And we assume to some degree its true) Then to say that "only playoffs matter" is not an appropriate measure is logically coherent.

This is really more of a semantics thing...

fallout

pringles said:
"The Wings have too many euros to win."

"The Wings are too old"

"Detroit will never win with a european captain."

I love it, always the same story year after year, people predicting the end of the Wings.
I always thought that the biggest assumption about the Red Wings was that they wouldn't survive the salary cap.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Don't forget about the dreaded Fleury/Johnson combo.... hahahaha

Was that really a conversation?

Bahahaha talk about the most overhyped tandem of the past 2 years!

And while I like Tuukka more than the Hamburglar, he was no match for the Flyers just one Cup ago (cough Go Flyers cough)

Socreges

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
I'm arguing that saying that playoffs aren't appropriate as a gauge if it is in fact true that they are a gauge of a team is logically invalid. I'm not talking about which measure is better. I'm just saying you dismissed one measure in a logically inconsistent manner.

If I say "Teams who make it farther in the playoffs are better than teams that get less far." (And we assume to some degree its true) Then to say that "only playoffs matter" is not an appropriate measure is logically coherent.

Nope:

"Their position over 82 games speaks more to this argument than how they performed in a seven-game series against one team."

Seems like we agree then.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Yes.

Now let's just agree that the Wings are finished and continue to hype up tonight's game. :)

As it's so early in the season, I predict something totally unpredictable. 4-1 Canucks.

CCF23

Meh, I think the Canucks lose tonight. With Kesler I'd give them a shot, but without Kesler I think the Flyers win a close one.

4-2 Flyers with an empty net goal.

snack

CCF23 said:
Meh, I think the Canucks lose tonight. With Kesler I'd give them a shot, but without Kesler I think the Flyers win a close one.

This man may speak the truth but I have my Canucks goggles on. Everything looks so... blue and green.

Socreges

Banned
CCF23 said:

Yes. But Luongo is going to have an excellent game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why in the world did the NHL make the schedule as it is during the first 2 weeks? Detroit has two stretches of almost a week off in a row (Saturday-Thursday, Saturday-Friday). It's asinine.

Plinko said:
Why in the world did the NHL make the schedule as it is during the first 2 weeks? Detroit has two stretches of almost a week off in a row (Saturday-Thursday, Saturday-Friday). It's asinine.

Yeah, I think this is going to kill us for the game tomorrow and whenever we play again after our next long break. /excuse for us losing tomorrow

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
CrazedArabMan said:
Yeah, I think this is going to kill us for the game tomorrow and whenever we play again after our next long break. /excuse for us losing tomorrow
It's not an excuse, it's legit. Cause this shit always happens.

cheddar

Neo Member
Pulling for the Fly guys to pull out a V against Vancouver. Could go either way, but I'm hoping Jagr comes through with a big game and Giroux continues to be God.

toro5741

CrazedArabMan said:
I know this sucks for you, but I can't help but laugh. Really I'm sorry.

It's unfortunate as you never want to see anybody hurt and DiPi's obviously had a rough go of it in recent years, but I'm not all that worried about it - if anything it minimizes two distractions (Nabakov in the press box and DiPietro as the backup). Montoya, on the strength of his play late last season and this preseason has been given first shot at the job, and so far he's been up to the task.

Cactus

Banned
Aportzline Aaron Portzline
Gentlemen (and ladies), start your rumors: Nationwide Arena is loaded w scouts tonight.

There are 27 scouts in Nationwide Arena, an unofficial franchise record.

To qualify that number - 27 scouts - a bit ... it's been that way since opener, with 10-15 per game. Also, four clubs have two scouts here.

via Twitter

Cactus

Banned
RT @pgreissing: @Aportzline which 4? // Toronto, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, Ottawa have two scouts in Nationwide.
5 minutes ago

I wonder if a big name is on the trading block in Columbus? EDIT: or possibly Colorado

fallout said:
I always thought that the biggest assumption about the Red Wings was that they wouldn't survive the salary cap.
too old
bowman retiring
salary cap
yzerman retiring
euro captain
not tough enough

were all reason given why the red wings run was going to end. did i miss any?

will 'lidstrom retiring" end up the same way? i guess we'll see.

Marvie_3

Banned
scissorfight said:
too old
bowman retiring
salary cap
yzerman retiring
euro captain
not tough enough

were all reason given why the red wings run was going to end. did i miss any?

will 'lidstrom retiring" end up the same way? i guess we'll see.
You forgot car fires and riots in Detroit.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I thought I read something about the Blue Jackets being really worried about their 0-3-0 start. They need to generate a lot of buzz this season in order to secure their future there and they might be panicky enough to pull the trigger on a blockbuster trade this early in the season if things keep going the way they are.

Spire said:
I thought I read something about the Blue Jackets being really worried about their 0-3-0 start. They need to generate a lot of buzz this season in order to secure their future there and they might be panicky enough to pull the trigger on a blockbuster trade this early in the season if things keep going the way they are.

Nash for Hudler and bottom of the barrel scraps. :D

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Spire said:

Burke gonna add to that depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom