• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAttack

Bread said:
oooh Seguin's on the first line tonight, this could be very interesting.

Lets hope the change can light a fire under Lucic and Horton's ass. Vs. just highlighted their futility through three games (1 assist each, a combined 7 shots and one benching).

And the storyline that nobody cares about in this game: Kaberle's first game against Boston after his disappointing showing last year.

Solo said:
Carey Price set to become the 13th goalie to win 100 games by age 24 tomorrow against Calgary.

Thats a really convoluted milestone.

Heretic said:
Ducks sign Troy Bodie again for 1 year

/depth

"Hey, so sorry that we traded you to the Canes and your Winnipeg tryout didnt work... Wanna play fourth line on our AHL team?"

LoneWolf296 said:
As much as I don't like Bobs getting his starts (most likely) cut, I know he is going to be a solid and reliable backup should Bryz need the time off, the only other respectable backup in the league is Cory Schneider so tonight should be interesting to see how ours and Vans starters hold up!
aidan said:
Bernier should be included on that list.
SpectreFire said:
How do you forget Tukka Rask?

Wasnt this conversation already a thing a few pages ago?

Cactus

Banned
Solo said:
The 3 guys anyone would be interested in on Columbus are the 3 guys who absolutely won't be moved.
I think Carter was brought in because management/ownership desperately wanted to be a playoff team this season and receive that extra revenue. With an 0-3 start and the playoffs already being an unlikely destination, maybe they want to shed salary and prevent another year of heavy operating losses?

This article from last month speculates that the team might lose $25m (approx. $15m more than last season), which I'm guessing the new high-$ contracts have a lot to do with.

MPW

Disappointing but Informative Early Returns for Cole

Defensive-zone board-work hurting overall grade

Erik Cole was brought in by the Montreal Canadiens to solidify the forward group; more specifically the top-6. Through 2 games this season Cole has the lowest overall grade (60) and overall risk/reward rating (0.74) of any player. His grade is 8 percentage points below the team average, while his risk/reward rating is 0.41 points below average. Expressed differently, Cole's risk/reward shows that he makes 1.46 successful plays for every 1 mistake or lost puck battle.

Cole has actually been more involved in the play as a Montreal Canadien than he was as a Carolina Hurricane. Cole averaged 3.10 events-per-minute as a Hurricane, but increased that total to 3.61during the preseason, and 3.89 through the regular season's first 2 games. That said, his risk/reward has dropped slightly. He had a 0.98 overall risk/reward with Carolina, a 1.0 risk/reward during the preseason, and a 0.84 risk/reward so far this season.

Cole played better in the offensive-zone during the preseason than he did with Carolina last year, or through the first 2 games of the current season. His offensive-zone risk/reward was 0.39 during the preseason, compared to 0.10 with Carolina and 0.11 following the Toronto and Winnipeg games. As with his overall risk/reward his events-per-minute have increased with Montreal; 1.26 last season, 1.88 during the preseason, and 1.86 through 2 games. His o-zone rating will improve as he gets more pucks to the net. Cole has seen 70% of his attempted shots either get blocked, or miss the net entirely.

Cole's play in the defensive-zone has been both disappointing and informative. He averaged more time in the d-zone through the first 2 games than he did during the preseason or last year with the Hurricanes. He managed 1.02 events per-minute in the defensive-zone this season compared to 0.71 last year, and 0.79 during the preseason.

Cole has not won enough defensive-zone puck-battles. He won 72% of his d-zone puck-battles with Carolina last year, and 67% of his d-zone puck-battles during the preseason. But, he has only won 27% of his defensive-zone puck-battles through the first 2 games of the regular season. Many of these lost battles have occurred along the half-wall in the defensive-zone. The location of these lost puck-battles have also contributed to the increase in d-zone events, as lost puck-battles along the half-wall directly result in a failure to clear the puck out of the defensive-zone.

Cole plays his best hockey in the neutral-zone. It is in this zone where Cole consistently produces his best risk/reward rating. His speed, ability to win neutral-zone puck-battles, and make solid puck-decisions are what endear him to most coaches. Cole's neutral-zone events have remained consistent. That said, his neutral-zone risk/reward rating (0.60) through 2 games this season is substantially higher than his totals during the preseason, or with Carolina last year. Expressed differently, Cole produces 4 successful plays in the neutral-zone for every 1 mistake or lost puck-battle. In comparison, the Habs team average is 2.44 successful plays in the neutral-zone for every 1 mistakes or lost puck-battle.

Cole needs to win more puck-battles. His overall grade has been adversely affected by his work along the wall in the defensive-zone. He also needs to get pucks through to the net. Number 72's grade and ratings will indubitably increase if he improves these aspects of his game, while maintaining his strong work in the neutral-zone.

http://www.boucherscouting.com/2011/10/disappointing-but-informative-early.html

cole needs to step up

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Solo said:
TWO. GAMES.

Jesus man, you're a broken record. He will score tomorrow night in Montreal.
Nah man, two games is as good an indicator as you'll fine in this league. That's why caps are trading vokoun to Columbus for a bag of pucks and Ovechkin is confirmed to only get 6 goals this year.

Alucard

Banned
Spire said:
Good news for the Pens, Neuvirth is day-to-day with a "lower body injury" (aka an uncomfortable outbreak of herpetic lesions). Bring on Vokoun!

Hmm, sounds like a perfect setup for a letdown game, but we'll see tomorrow night.

Curufinwe

Bill Clement just said that the same year the Pens took Jagr with the 5th overall pick, the Flyers took Mike Ricci 4th. I never knew that, and I wish I had never found out. That's like Portland picking Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan.

Socreges

Banned
Got home late. Watching the game recorded. I was just going to comment on how fucked up the Philly stanchions are BEFORE Giroux gets his goal. There have been about half a dozen funny bounces in the first eight minutes

6 of the first 10 minutes on the PK. Thank God our PK is working right now

Red_Man

It's only the third game but I gotta say Philly looks a lot better then I had anticipated they would this season.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Seguin barely did anything in the 1st and yet Pierre is just openly masturbating over every move he makes. I'm pretty sure the boards come up just high enough so that we can't see he has his hand down his pants.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Red_Man said:
It's only the third game but I gotta say Philly looks a lot better then I had anticipated they would this season.

Yeah, I had no idea how they'd be this season. They look good so far, I can't wait to play them.

Socreges

Banned
OK caught up. Reading the posts now and surprised that people are impressed with the Flyers after this period. Canucks repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot and a very bad bounce. Philly looking good for sure - just don't see how much can be gleaned from those 20 min

Kesler back in 7-10 days? EXCELLENT

Slurmer

Banned
Socreges said:
OK caught up. Reading the posts now and surprised that people are impressed with the Flyers after this period. Canucks repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot and a very bad bounce. Philly looking good for sure - just don't see how much can be gleaned from those 20 min

Canucks looked real good on the PP, other than that they didn't do anything but get called for penalties. So yeah, maybe it's less of what Philly was able to do and more of what Vancouver was incapable of doing--but it wouldn't be totally wrong to give Philly some of the credit for that.

Hartnell is an idiot and could give VAN some life to start the 2nd.

MacAttack

Bruins are at it again with a shitty power play. 1 for 16 so far this season. O_O

edit 1: Here we go another PP opportunity. 1-17.

edit 2: If at first you dont succeed... 1-18.

BOOOOOOOOOO.

Red_Man

Question for Philly fans is couturier just on the 9 game try out or has he officially made the team? I was pretty surprised back when jets passed on him.

Red_Man said:
Question for Philly fans is couturier just on the 9 game try out or has he officially made the team? I was pretty surprised back when jets passed on him.

The Legein trade to Flyers West freed up a contract slot to keep him past 9 games. Nothing guaranteed, but that move looks like he's staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom