• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Solo said:
Markov to rejoin Habs at the end of the month!

Maybe him and Connolly have a deal to return at the same time! What's the over/under on when one of them'll go down a second time? 3.5 games?

Cat Party

calder said:
I feel like the Jets left again. :p One game and then taken away, kinda sad.

Better play better against the Hawks. I'm not expecting a win, but I am expecting less 'free pizza' at center ice as Noel put it.

Sharks fan here, and I know what you mean. The team's been off since Saturday and won't play until tomorrow. Feels like the season hasn't really started yet.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Epic Tales of Penis said:
PG is a master at throwing cash towards injured players.

Markov and Betts quickly come to mind.

Erik Cole soon to follow.

Aidan said:
Connolly no longer day-to-day. Now week-to-week. Haha.

You were saying?

Finally a game, I didn't mind the week off cause I had exams all week, but I'm pumped for this opener, hoping for Cole to have a big game tonight.

Solo

Red_Man said:
You were saying?

Finally a game, I didn't mind the week off cause I had exams all week, but I'm pumped for this opener, hoping for Cole to have a big game tonight.

Cole scores the first goal, MPW complains. Book it.

Red_Man

Pacioretty – Gomez – Gionta
Moen – Plekanec – Cole
Palushaj – Engqvist – Eller
Darche – Desharnais – Kostitsyn

I don't know if any coach out there juggles lines as much as JM does game to game, but to his credit all these injuries over the last 2 seasons haven't helped his case.

Solo

Red_Man said:
Moen – Plekanec – Cole

I don't know if any coach out there juggles lines as much as JM does game to game, but to his credit all these injuries over the last 2 seasons haven't helped his case.

Your lines are out of order though. Pleks line is first, Gomez second, Desharnais third and Enq fourth.

aidan said:
Connolly no longer day-to-day. Now week-to-week. Haha.

Jesus Christ on a crutch, he's dead to me.

At least we still have all of that /depth at center. I wonder whether it's Bozak or Lombardi that get the promotion to 2nd line C?

Red_Man

Solo said:
Your lines are out of order though. Pleks line is first, Gomez second, Desharnais third and Enq fourth.
I got that from the habs official website, so I assume its the final lines.

Marvie_3

Banned
Red_Man said:
Moen – Plekanec – Cole

Quenneville. Chicago's lines change several times a period.

Spire said:
Laich isn't "way more" anything than Kunitz. They're both very hard working two way forwards. They operate in the same realm, sorry we locked a guy like that down for $775,000 less per year.
As you should have. He's much older and quickly approaching "washed up" sfatus.

Marvie_3 said:
Quenneville. Chicago's lines change several times a period.

I would throw Babcock into that mix as well, last game our line combination's changed quite a few times throughout the entire game, heck he even does that to our D pairings as well.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
As you should have. He's much older and quickly approaching "washed up" sfatus.
Yeah, four years older than Laich. A dinosaur. I don't care how old he is as long as he keeps out-producing Laich.

Red_Man said:
Moen – Plekanec – Cole

Gomez on the top line, ha.

Spire said:
Yeah, four years older than Laich. A dinosaur. I don't care how old he is as long as he keeps out-producing Laich.

Laich has 85 goals and 197 points over his last 4 seasons.

Kunitz has 80 goals and 183 points over his last 4 seasons.

Nice try.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to the home opener. Disappointed that I will have to watch it on Sportsnet since I'm in the West. Oh well.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Laich has 85 goals and 197 points over his last 4 seasons.

Kunitz has 80 goals and 183 points over his last 4 seasons.

Nice try.

Laich has 324 games player in the last 4 seasons, Kunitz has 280. And Kunitz has been getting healthier. 09-10 wasn't his best year but like I said, he played 66 games last year and still matched Laich's point total.

He's also more physical, 274 hits for the past two years (as far back as yahoo tracks) compared to Laich's 211. Again, he only played 116 games in that time period compared to Laich's 160 games.

We can quibble over who is better, but saying he's shit and Laich isn't is nonsense.

Spire said:
Laich has 324 games player in the last 4 seasons, Kunitz has 280. And Kunitz has been getting healthier. 09-10 wasn't his best year but like I said, he played 66 games last year and still matched Laich's point total.

He's also more physical, 274 hits for the past two years (as far back as yahoo tracks) compared to Laich's 211. Again, he only played 116 games in that time period compared to Laich's 160 games.

We can quibble over who is better, but saying he's shit and Laich isn't is nonsense.

I knew there was a reason Penis didn't answer my question....

brucewaynegretzky said:
I knew there was a reason Penis didn't answer my question....
I did. Kunitz has missed games because of that very physical style he plays. He's an old 32 and will continue to break down. The reason he's played less games is because he's simply less durable than Laich is.

Laich can also play centre and is more versatile than a north/south grinder like Kunitz.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I did. Kunitz has missed games because of that very physical style he plays. He's an old 32 and will continue to break down. The reason he's played less games is because he's simply less durable than Laich is.

Laich can also play centre and is more versatile than a north/south grinder like Kunitz.

I'm still not sure how this translates into him being shit.

Most of his time out last year was from recovering from a surgery and frankly, if he only plays 65-70 games a season and keeps putting up those numbers, that more than justifies his contract.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Geez, Filatov's been sent down to the AHL by Ottawa. Remember when people balked at the thought of trading Bieksa for the kid (as was heavily rumoured)? And people thought Vancouver was going to come away having committed a BB-level fleece job? How the mighty have fallen.

C Jones

Kunitz will score tonight so you guys can ballwash him then.
LOL! Seriously though, what's up with the Caps? I thought they were supposed to be transitioning into a more defensive-minded team. I haven't seen much of them this year - is it mostly just the goaltending? Are there other areas of concern?

Spl1nter

aidan said:
Geez, Filatov's been sent down to the AHL by Ottawa. Remember when people balked at the thought of trading Bieksa for the kid (as was heavily rumoured)? And people thought Vancouver was going to come away having committed a BB-level fleece job? How the mighty have fallen.

Remember when people were pissed off at BB selecting Schenn instead of Filatov. Fleeced!

Ginger and Tanev are in tonight.

Alberts out.

Nice to see Schneids getting deployed more frequently now. I've also been super impressed by the 4th line. AV's definitely using them a lot more than he did last season. Looks like getting Lapierre from the ducks was a good move after all.

C Jones said:
LOL! Seriously though, what's up with the Caps? I thought they were supposed to be transitioning into a more defensive-minded team. I haven't seen much of them this year - is it mostly just the goaltending? Are there other areas of concern?
Boudreau.

He said they are now a "hybrid" team.

The PP has been shit, the #1 line has been shit as was Vokoun last game. Beyond that, the PK got shreded versus the Canes. The third line of Chimera, Laich and Ward has looked scary good.

It's pretty much been mental errors with them.

SCHUEY F1 said:
Looking forward to the home opener. Disappointed that I will have to watch it on Sportsnet since I'm in the West. Oh well.

You'll get great play-by-play from Rob Kerr.

I'll never understand why Sportsnet let Loumbardis go.

"He skeeeeooooresss!"

Socreges said:
Can't take as much pleasure in "I told you so" when pretty much everyone outside of Leaf Nation was saying the same thing.

Everyone in Leaf Nation
who's worth anything
was saying the same thing too.

"This guy? Didn't he only play like 10 games last year?" was the common refrain.

Funny to think that Lombardi, who we took on in order to get Franson, might end up being a key signing.

C Jones

Boudreau.

He said they are now a "hybrid" team.

The PP has been shit, the #1 line has been shit as was Vokoun last game. Beyond that, the PK got shreded versus the Canes. The third line of Chimera, Laich and Ward has looked scary good.

It's pretty much been mental errors with them.
Thanks for the info. I really hope Malkin can go but I think we can keep it close if he can't. Hopefully the Caps PP and first line don't pick tonight of all nights to find their groove.

The opening ceremony should be interesting. Geno should be out there for that even if he doesn't play.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
C Jones said:
Thanks for the info. I really hope Malkin can go but I think we can keep it close if he can't. Hopefully the Caps PP and first line don't pick tonight of all nights to find their groove.

The opening ceremony should be interesting. Geno should be out there for that even if he doesn't play.

Yeah, it's confirmed he'll be in the ceremonial faceoff, whether he actually plays is still a game-time decision.

Socreges

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
Everyone in Leaf Nation
who's worth anything
was saying the same thing too.
Just thinking of the many Leafs fans here and IRL who defended the signing (re: injury).

Canucks/Wings tonight. They had some really fun games last season. Stoked.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Internet said:
You'll get great play-by-play from Rob Kerr.

I'll never understand why Sportsnet let Loumbardis go.

"He skeeeeooooresss!"

Commentating will be fine, but I would rather the focus be on the Habs since it is the home opener.

Has anyone mentioned that DiPietro is out because he got hit in the mask with a puck... in practice? Hopefully DiPietro is this funny for the next 10 years of his contract.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
CrazedArabMan said:
I unfortunately see the Nucks taking this one tonight with a 4-2 final.
That's what I told my dad last night. Jimmy will face like 29 shots and let up 4. Never gets the breaks.

Alucard

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
Has anyone mentioned that DiPietro is out because he got hit in the mask with a puck... in practice? Hopefully DiPietro is this funny for the next 10 years of his contract.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Love this guy.

And yes, the Pens and Caps will be wearing the Lokomotiv patches tonight.

Let's go Pens.

Happy with the Kunitz signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom