• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
I don't know what's worse, the fact we put up that many penalties, or the fact that Vancouver couldn't convert on them.

Our defensive zone coverage is SO bad. Its five guys running around like idiots in between the hash marks. They stand around staring at the puck and their men. Fucking pathetic.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Canucks PP really shit the bed in the third. Oh well.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Our defensive zone coverage is SO bad. Its five guys running around like idiots in between the hash marks. They stand around staring at the puck and their men. Fucking pathetic.

It annoyed me so bad. I was rooting for you guys to lose and I still felt like screaming at your guys to actually move.

RC

Banned
Takao said:
I don't know what's worse, the fact we put up that many penalties, or the fact that Vancouver couldn't convert on them.
For me, definitely the latter. Special teams need some work.

brucewaynegretzky said:

I thought they played well the 1st game, and they were never tested by the Devilols, but they really struggled tonight.

brucewaynegretzky said:

This is exactly why they picked up Bryz, everyone saw what happened when Pronger was out he is the backbone of the d but when hes not on shift Bryz is there to make 36 (woof!) saves

Socreges

Banned
Bryz made 36 saves. He also let in 4 goals (none really his fault). I think he was just solid - I don't remember him making any saves that were exceptional.

Takao said:
Canucks went 2/7. 29%. That's great. Also hit a couple posts and had some really good puck movement.

Canucks' slow starts are killing them. Just seems like they don't know how to play as a unit yet -- made even more obvious by their sloppy organization in their own zone.

Takao

Banned
I started watching the game after Sedin scored that tying goal, so all I saw of the powerplay was ehhhh, though our defense was even more sketchy.

Socreges said:
Bryz made 36 saves. He also let in 4 goals (none really his fault). I think he was just solid - I don't remember him making any saves that were exceptional.

You don't get how we evaluate goalies in Philly. Its ok. We understand. Just let us enjoy this.

Slurmer

Banned
Socreges said:

Not to be too much on the Bryz defense force, but that's probably the biggest part of what he's there for--stopping the shots he should stop.
Main thing Flyers need is a goalie who will not give up a weak, backbreaking goal any minute. Bob/Boucher/Biron/etc. all put up good enough numbers, but also inevitably got beat by a soft goal that would lose the game or shift momentum.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, I know what you guys mean. It was the same when we got Luongo. Honeymoon didn't last long, though. Now we're quick to shit on him for any perceived error.

Socreges said:
Yeah, I know what you guys mean. It was the same when we got Luongo. Honeymoon didn't last long, though. Now we're quick to shit on him for any perceived error.

You don't have the same goalie history as us. This will last. At least for me it will....

He's still overpaid. But damn he's way better than what we've had in a long ass time.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
CrazedArabMan said:
Nucks can give us as many PP's as they want since we can't seem to score on them.
What? You don't like our sweet PP plan of just sticking to the outside, passing it the point, and trying to get a shot through and deflected by our own guy in front that literally has a 1 in 1000 chance of going right and scoring? Crazy talk I say!!! Why would we want to use the amazing puck control of Pavel and Z to get the opposition out of position, thus freeing up the wing on the other side of the net for that easy slam dunk goal or just getting the goalie moving and putting the puck up stairs on them?

Socreges

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
You don't have the same goalie history as us. This will last. At least for me it will....

He's still overpaid. But damn he's way better than what we've had in a long ass time.
You obviously know little of the goalie graveyard in Vancouver before we got Luongo.

Socreges said:

Yeah except Bryz's default move isn't a Jean Claude Van Damme Timecop splits and pray whoever has the puck doesnt go top shelf.

Lu got lucky on Jagr's 3 low whacks tonite, but JVR wasn't having any of his 6'4 legspan splits bullshit and just went top shelf

Im looking forward to 7 more years of Bryz (his presence alone is enough to convince me even Bobs will improve with him there)

I have got a trade proposition in my yahoo league and need your help!

I get: Ovie
I give: Iggy + Pronger

What do you guys think? I love Iggy and Pronger have had a really great start and I see him really having a great season with the C. But Ovie is ovie

Tabris

Let's be honest here, the Sedins are dragging the Canucks kicking and screaming so far this season. Luongo has been garbage, the D is looking out of sorts (this will be addressed with a couple more games though in my opinion) and Marco Sturm/Samuelson have been absolutely horrid.

The more I see it, the more I would like us to take a shot at starting Schneider for a stretch of games to see what we get.

Wingfan19 said:
What? You don't like our sweet PP plan of just sticking to the outside, passing it the point, and trying to get a shot through and deflected by our own guy in front that literally has a 1 in 1000 chance of going right and scoring? Crazy talk I say!!! Why would we want to use the amazing puck control of Pavel and Z to get the opposition out of position, thus freeing up the wing on the other side of the net for that easy slam dunk goal or just getting the goalie moving and putting the puck up stairs on them?

I think we would have more luck shooting the puck down toward our own goal and scoring on our own net than score a PP goal with the system we used in the last two games. Thankfully it looks like we worked on that over this break so hopefully things get changed up.

Tabris said:
Let's be honest here, the Sedins are dragging the Canucks kicking and screaming so far this season. Luongo has been garbage, the D is looking out of sorts (this will be addressed with a couple more games though in my opinion) and Marco Sturm/Samuelson have been absolutely horrid.

The more I see it, the more I would like us to take a shot at starting Schneider for a stretch of games to see what we get.

Yeah, something needs to happen in order for your avatar to come true right?

Socreges

Banned
LoneWolf296 said:
Yeah except Bryz's default move isn't a Jean Claude Van Damme Timecop splits and pray whoever has the puck doesnt go top shelf.

Lu got lucky on Jagr's 3 low whacks tonite, but JVR wasn't having any of his 6'4 legspan splits bullshit and just went top shelf
The hell are you talking about? Luongo had to lunge forward to grab the puck. His problem there was rebound control, though I didn't see if JVR got a stick on it initially.

Henrik's goal meanwhile was roofed when Bryz did the splits and left the top shelf open.
Daniel's goal meanwhile was roofed when Bryz did the splits and left the top shelf open.

You took the opening pot shot and missed wide, hitting your own damn goalie. Twice!

Socreges said:
You obviously know little of the goalie graveyard in Vancouver before we got Luongo.

Bahahaha oh I do, but really

Van - McLean -> Cloutier -> Luongo

Phi - Hextall .... Vanbiesbrouck, Boucher, Chechmanek, Esche, Nittymaki, Emery, Biron, Leighton, Boucher AGAIN, now finally a long term starter in Bryzgalov

...I think Philly had it worse (but I do enjoy looking at the Van randoms who came through)

Socreges said:
The hell are you talking about? Luongo had to lunge forward to grab the puck. His problem there was rebound control, though I didn't see if JVR got a stick on it initially.

Henrik's goal meanwhile was roofed when Bryz did the splits and left the top shelf open.
Daniel's goal meanwhile was roofed when Bryz did the splits and left the top shelf open.

You took the opening pot shot and missed wide, hitting your own damn goalie. Twice!

I never said Bryz didn't do the splits, but its not his default. Bobby Lu goes down into the splits faster than a zeppelin when he hears the sound of stick on puck

Slurmer

Banned
LoneWolf296 said:

Phi - Hextall .... Vanbiesbrouck, Boucher, Chechmanek, Esche, Nittymaki, Emery, Biron, Leighton, Boucher AGAIN, now finally a long term starter in Bryzgalov

...I think Philly had it worse (but I do enjoy looking at the Van randoms who came through)

don't forget Garth Snow and Sean Burke

RBH

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
disaproving-old-man.gif

Socreges

Banned
LoneWolf296 said:
I never said Bryz didn't do the splits, but its not his default. Bobby Lu goes down into the splits faster than a zeppelin when he hears the sound of stick on puck
So now we're talking about "defaults" in every game except for this one... that you were just talking about? K.

LoneWolf296 said:

Oh you do not. 9 seasons between McLean and Luongo. Cloutier was only #1 for 3 of those and was often injured, to boot. Otherwise we had 20+ goalies play for us during that time. I'm not saying Philly didn't have it bad. But Vancouver had it very bad, too. Not to mention that we never even liked Cloutier much! Luongo was a saviour sent down upon us from the heavens. Then we crucified him. Weekly.

Acid08

Banned
Tabris said:

I don't know how any Canucks fans could have had any expectations for Sturm. He has been done in this league for a while.

Socreges

Banned
I think we all knew that the Sturm signing was bad. The most optimistic you'd find from a fan was indifference. I still have no idea what Mike Gillis was thinking.

Lone, we might see Hodgson centering the third line with Malhotra on the fourth (and Lapierre on the wing). I'd prefer to see him with Samuelsson and Kesler on the second, though. Higgins, Malhotra and Hansen on the third. Whatever on the fourth. Sturm in Chicago.

Hodgson's been a crazed demon on the puck so far. When he's in the offensive zone, he just keeps hounding and taking the puck. He's definitely been playing his keeps on the top six and PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom