• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
EpicTalesofPenis said:
23m4gvn.jpg

OK it was nice.

scissorfight said:
the canucks got shutout by a non-marquee goaltender and a declining team with an aging core that's getting weaker every day.

hope that helps.
Bad enough when people draw from the first several games of the year. But you're acting like one game contradicts what I've been saying? Canucks have lost to the Wild 6-0 on better days. Canucks in October don't flatter anyone.

I even had them losing tonight.... but 24-4 is pathetic.

CrazedArabMan said:
Patiently awaits Socrege's long and drawn out argument on why this is false.
Why would I say it's false when he's using my own points?

Great to hear that Schneider had a great game. He and Hodgson have been the most impressive Canucks so far.

Schneider's so far showing that last season wasn't a fluke. And Hodgson looks like he's Kesler from last season, carrying a line with no wings. I think at this point, he's a sure bet to wing Kesler when he comes back.

Socreges

Banned
SpectreFire said:
Schneider's so far showing that last season wasn't a fluke. And Hodgson looks like he's Kesler from last season, carrying a line with no wings. I think at this point, he's a sure bet to wing Kesler when he comes back.
I don't know if Hodgson actually knows how to shoot. He's really smart, hard-working, wins a lot of puck battles, and carries the puck very well.... but his only shots seem to be right in front of the net.

Tabris

Cody Hodgson + Ryan Kesler on Tuesday. I'm excited.

I really want us to start Schneider for a 5-10 game stretch to see how he can do as a starter. I'm actually hoping Luongo gets injured (Sorry Luo :( )

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
And I know I'm the last one to comment on this, but the schedule is retarded this year. Aside from starting out with 10 games in 17 days, we don't play Philly until December? Lame.

And it's going to be a long year for Ottawa. 7-1 loss to Colorado. Jesus.

Socreges said:
I don't know if Hodgson actually knows how to shoot. He's really smart, hard-working, wins a lot of puck battles, and carries the puck very well.... but his only shots seem to be right in front of the net.
His near-goal today came from him shooting on the rush. But Hodgson's a playmaker, not a shooter and he definitely shows that. He puts a lot of pucks onto other player's sticks, they're just not capitalizing on enough of them.

It's not a bad thing though, the Canucks have a lot of shooters but not enough playmakers. I think Hodgson would be a better fit with Kesler than Parise simply because Kesler's a shoot first guy, and would excel much more if he's got a top quality passer feeding him the puck.

Tabris said:
I really want us to start Schneider for a 5-10 game stretch to see how he can do as a starter. I'm actually hoping Luongo gets injured (Sorry Luo :( )
You know what? Fuck. I can agree with this. But only because I want to see Eddie Lack come in for a couple of games. I really want to see if a Schneider/Lack tandem is good enough to say bye-bye to Luongo.

Tabris

Imagine clearing 4m off the books for a really good 2nd line winger. Trading Luongo would fetch us that good winger for sure.

Tabris said:
Imagine clearing 4m off the books for a really good 2nd line winger. Trading Luongo would fetch us that good winger for sure.

Who would be crazy to take his contract though?

Oh wait, Garth Snow would probably line up right away.

Socreges

Banned
Kesler back on Tuesday?

He's no cure. I still don't think the Canucks will pick things up until December/January, but getting him back into it this soon is great.

Tabris

CrazedArabMan said:

His contract is amazing actually (in terms of cap hit) and he's one of the best goalies out there. He just has a confidence issue where as soon as he lets in one bad goal, he crumbles. If he could get over those 1 bad goals in the big games, he would be fine. I don't know if he can get over that. I mean if we still have him in 2012, he will definitely be over it, as 2012 is pre-ordained and all, but now's the time to start looking into what is going to be done for that. Give Schneider a shot.

Manics said:
When does this great play ever translate into points? LOL
Guy's first game since his operation.. maybe you should just wait a bit. Where's Kadri? He's in my keepers team and he's not even playing. Same with Franson. What the hell? Aren't those guys sure-fire prospects?

N.B. I know Kadri's injured.

Tabris said:
His contract is amazing actually (in terms of cap hit) and he's one of the best goalies out there. He just has a confidence issue where as soon as he lets in one bad goal, he crumbles. If he could get over those 1 bad goals in the big games, he would be fine. I don't know if he can get over that. I mean if we still have him in 2012, he will definitely be over it, as 2012 is pre-ordained and all, but now's the time to start looking into what is going to be done for that. Give Schneider a shot.

I know it is a decent cap hit for a goalie like him, but like you said consistency issues and then that the next team he ends up on would most likely have him for the rest of that contract which is until 2022 or something like that? I guess my thing is with that contract length and as well as capgeek is saying he has a no trade clause, so it looks like you are stuck with him more than likely.

Also you and your crazy Nucks stanley cup certainty for this season, you think you would have learned after last year.

toro5741

CrazedArabMan said:

It's pretty well known that the DiPietro contract (and the Yashin one as well during the Milbury era) were Charles Wang's idea...

Snow's actually done a pretty good job in terms of getting players signed with reasonable, team-friendly deals.

I won't be seeing the Vancouver game until I get home tonight, but usually judging by this thread I can tell the actual outcome...

But I'm curious, why are people throwing Luongo under the bus after this game?

toro5741 said:
It's pretty well known that the DiPietro contract (and the Yashin one as well during the Milbury era) were Charles Wang's idea...

Snow's actually done a pretty good job in terms of getting players signed with reasonable, team-friendly deals.

I was going off of the notion because he is a goalie /still angry about Nabokov...

MacAttack

Dastardly Jerks said:
I won't be seeing the Vancouver game until I get home tonight, but usually judging by this thread I can tell the actual outcome...

Do you really need a special occasion to throw Luongo under the bus?

I've heard Milbury talk about the Yashin signing as one of the reasons he hated being a GM. I didnt realize they traded Chara for Yashins rights...ouch.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
19 & 21 said:
Hilarious, even more so the reactions of Capitals fans crying about it. You guys ever watch boxing? You know the part where a guy gets KO'd during a fight? He's fine, don't worry. You can make as much noise as you want.

This isn't boxing. People aren't upset about the fight. They're upset about his gesture. Just like TSN said, it's bush league. He apologized for it, which was the right thing to do.

toro5741

CrazedArabMan said:
I was going off of the notion because he is a goalie /still angry about Nabokov...

Ah... I doubt he's angry about Nabakov at this point. They've got him on the team and under contract for the whole year at about 500k as insurance for our high priced, oft-injured back-up goalie. Meanwhile that whole escapade no doubt played a part in them going out and getting Montoya for virtually nothing last year, who based on his play last year and so far this season, looks like a steal.

MacAttack said:
I've heard Milbury talk about the Yashin signing as one of the reasons he hated being a GM. I didnt realize they traded Chara for Yashins rights...ouch.

And the #2 overall pick that became Jason Spezza... Milbury's whole tenure as Islanders GM should serve as reason for him never to be allowed to manage a team ever again.

toro5741 said:
Ah... I doubt he's angry about Nabakov at this point. They've got him on the team and under contract for the whole year at about 500k as insurance for our high priced, oft-injured back-up goalie. Meanwhile that whole escapade no doubt played a part in them going out and getting Montoya for virtually nothing last year, who based on his play last year and so far this season, looks like a steal.

No I'm still mad about Nabakov not him. :lol

I was just saying that because of him grabbing Nabby and Montoya as well as having problems with Dipietro, so because Lu is a goalie, Garth would happily take him off of Vancouver hands, can never have too many possible number one goalies on one team.

Heretic

Dastardly Jerks said:

He didn't even play. Schneider got the start. I guess canucks fans now want schneider as #1?

MacAttack

19 & 21 said:
Hilarious, even more so the reactions of Capitals fans crying about it. You guys ever watch boxing? You know the part where a guy gets KO'd during a fight? He's fine, don't worry. You can make as much noise as you want.

After the offseason the NHL had with retired enforcers, Im conflicted about fighting in hockey. On one hand, I think its a valuable part of the game for keeping players in line and also can give a team a lift when timed correctly. Besides that, I'm a fan of the Bruins and fighting is rich part of their franchise history.

On the other hand, All I can picture is these guys brains getting mashed in. As for the boxing analogy, I don't think anybody would say the greatest boxer of all time (Ali) is fine after taking similar repeated blows to the head.

I'll report back in with a final verdict once a Bruins player gets in a fight this season.

Tabris said:

And how much will Schneider command as a starter? He gets $3.5M and your $4.3M in savings suddenly becomes $1.8M, which isn't even enough for another Sturm.

Marvie_3

Banned
MacAttack said:
After the offseason the NHL had with retired enforcers, Im conflicted about fighting in hockey. On one hand, I think its a valuable part of the game for keeping players in line and also can give a team a lift when timed correctly. Besides that, I'm a fan of the Bruins and fighting is rich part of their franchise history.

On the other hand, All I can picture is these guys brains getting mashed in. As for the boxing analogy, I don't think anybody would say the greatest boxer of all time (Ali) is fine after taking similar repeated blows to the head.

I'll report back in with a final verdict once a Bruins player gets in a fight this season.
Ali has Parkinson's disease. It's not the same thing.

Marvie_3

Banned
Socreges said:
Ali's Parkinsons was very likely brought on by head trauma.
Trauma can contribute to it but it isnt always the main reason. It's possible Ali would have gotten it anyway and the boxing simply sped up the process.

Lone_Prodigy said:
And how much will Schneider command as a starter? He gets $3.5M and your $4.3M in savings suddenly becomes $1.8M, which isn't even enough for another Sturm.

And TWO Marco Sturms would be like... 2 SOG in 4 games!

I the the fucking scheduling monkeys that do the teams schedule. What the fuck? The leafs won't be playing till this weekend.

Last game the leafs played, last Saturday! And then, we get a 5 day break and we got a game coming up

I think they should hire someone from this thread to make the schedules!

FortunateSon said:
I the the fucking scheduling monkeys that do the teams schedule. What the fuck? The leafs won't be playing till this weekend.

Last game the leafs played, last Saturday! And then, we get a 5 day break and we got a game coming up

I think they should hire someone from this thread to make the schedules!

Sabres have the most back to back games again this year, just like last year.

HadesGigas said:
Sabres have the most back to back games again this year, just like last year.

You actually don't mind that? I hate that as the teams don't get enough rest before their next game. Back to back games are the worst. Especially when the other team is well rested.

But if I'm not wrong, the Sabres spend the least amount of time travelling so back to back games shouldn't be too bad for you guys.

19 & 21 said:
You are an idiot. If a Cap or Leaf did this I'd be ripping his ass just as hard.

FortunateSon said:
You actually don't mind that? I hate that as the teams don't get enough rest before their next game. Back to back games are the worst. Especially when the other team is well rested.

But if I'm not wrong, the Sabres spend the least amount of time travelling so back to back games shouldn't be too bad for you guys.

I mind that, it's stupid that it happens to the same team twice in a row. The majority of the 2nd games also happen against opponents who aren't playing back to back.

But yeah their travel is a bit better than usual for Buffalo because they got in those games against LA and Anaheim in Europe. So there's very few games left where they change timezones.

HadesGigas said:
I mind that, it's stupid that it happens to the same team twice in a row. The majority of the 2nd games also happen against opponents who aren't playing back to back.

But yeah their travel is a bit better than usual for Buffalo because they got in those games against LA and Anaheim in Europe. So there's very few games left where they change timezones.

Unfortunate, but at least your team looks freaking ace this season! Their travel is better, I checked as they are not going to be changing timezones very often this season. 4 more times I think?

That's actually good!

Holy shit Avs are top of their division and destroyed the Senators? Damn...

Lmao! 7-1!!!

FortunateSon said:
Unfortunate, but at least your team looks freaking ace this season! Their travel is better, I checked as they are not going to be changing timezones very often this season. 4 more times I think?

That's actually good!

Lmao! 7-1!!!

I'm just shocked my friend has flooded my in box about the Avs not sucking.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm just shocked my friend has flooded my in box about the Avs not sucking.

People have them pegged as a bottom 5 team this year, I doubt it. I'm not saying they are going to be a top-tier team but bottom 5? Come on.

FortunateSon said:
People have them pegged as a bottom 5 team this year, I doubt it. I'm not saying they are going to be a top-tier team but bottom 5? Come on.

Dunno, they were actually competing last year and then they absolutely tanked. I remember them being in 7th/8th halfway through and then the wheels fell off. They should be better now with a much more competent goalie though. They should improve as their young core gets older. They were able to generate good chances to score last year but they just couldn't put it in the net. So many wide shots/crossbars.

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
Guy's first game since his operation.. maybe you should just wait a bit. Where's Kadri? He's in my keepers team and he's not even playing. Same with Franson. What the hell? Aren't those guys sure-fire prospects?

N.B. I know Kadri's injured.
I WOULD give him a chance except Solo kept telling me how much Eller would "beast" in the game. He's been pumping up Eller since last season's first round exit where he did exactly nothing to help you guys win.

You are correct Kadri isn't playing due to an injury while Franson was out due to depth.

Manics

Banned
Epic Tales of Penis said:
You know what Solo, I must admit that Manics makes a good point. When I shave my cock and get it hard, it really looks good too. I sit there and admire it from different angles and sometimes even with the foreskin pulled back. I swear man, it looks fantastic.

The bottom line though is if it's not scoring, it just looks like any other random cock.
Holy fuck LOL. This is a first ballot hall of fame post.

Manics said:
You are correct Kadri isn't playing due to an injury while Franson was out due to depth.
Yup. So deep there was no room for a guy who'd be a top pairing on the Habs. Plus it would be embarrassing for the organization as a whole since the move would push PK down, especially considering how shit he's been.

Solo

I think what I'm most upset about is a combo of JM continuing to keep Pleks on the point on the PP despite the fact that its been an unmitigated disaster, vets like Gionta shitting the bed, and JM's refusal to bench vets and give the guys actually playing to win (Eller, Weber, Pacioretty, AK) ice time. The sad thing is that JM won't get fired unless Gauthier gets fired.

Manics said:
When does this great play ever translate into points? LOL

Presumably when Martin gets fired and Eller moves up to second line centre and plays with more talented wingers than Palushaj/Enqvist. Dude is going to be a beast. You'd know that if you ever watched the games. First game back from injury last night and he was easily the best player in red.

MacAttack

Marvie_3 said:
Trauma can contribute to it but it isnt always the main reason. It's possible Ali would have gotten it anyway and the boxing simply sped up the process.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9475980
The considerable concern about the long-term effects of repeated brain injury as the result of boxing in producing chronic encephalopathy is adequately justified by the many studies of live boxers and pathologic examinations of brains of former boxers made and recorded over the years since 1952. These indicate clearly a significant relationship between the numbers of bouts fought and the presence and severity of chronic encephalopathy.

In Ali's case, it's pretty clear to me that his Parkinson's was brought on by boxing. It is possible that he could have developed the disease without ever boxing. Whether or not this is the case is beside my larger point, repeated blows to the head for any athlete has serious repercussions to the health of the brain.

Is it worth the returns to condone/celebrate the behavior? As I said before, I'm torn on the issue.

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
I think what I'm most upset about is a combo of JM continuing to keep Pleks on the point on the PP despite the fact that its been an unmitigated disaster, vets like Gionta shitting the bed, and JM's refusal to bench vets and give the guys actually playing to win (Eller, Weber, Pacioretty, AK) ice time. The sad thing is that JM won't get fired unless Gauthier gets fired.

Presumably when Martin gets fired and Eller moves up to second line centre and plays with more talented wingers than Palushaj/Enqvist. Dude is going to be a beast. You'd know that if you ever watched the games. First game back from injury last night and he was easily the best player in red.
You're the ultimate two faced fan man. Two seasons ago you were ripping Price and wanted to keep Halak now Price is the greatest thing since Jaques Plante (he's not by the way you were right the first time) and you also have praised Martin in the past as being this genius shutdown coach and now suddenly it's the coaches fault. I fuckin hope Marin is fired so then you'll see just how shit the Habs are when they don't play a shit trap system.

Bottom line is Martin's system works when you have a goalie playing superhuman like Halak did two seasons ago or Price did last year. When the goalie is merely average (and I'm being generous here since Price has been bad so far) you lose more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom