• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manics said:
You're the ultimate two faced fan man. Two seasons ago you were ripping Price and wanted to keep Halak now Price is the greatest thing since Jaques Plante (he's not by the way you were right the first time) and you also have praised Martin in the past as being this genius shutdown coach and now suddenly it's the coaches fault. I fuckin hope Marin is fired so then you'll see just how shit the Habs are when they don't play a shit trap system.

Bottom line is Martin's system works when you have a goalie playing superhuman like Halak did two seasons ago or Price did last year. When the goalie is merely average (and I'm being generous here since Price has been bad so far) you lose more often than not.
/ether

Solo

Two seasons ago I was ripping Price because he had played two bad seasons in a row, like any sensible person would. I wanted to keep Halak because he played much better than and took Price's job (and turned in a near Patrick Roy-esque playoff run), like any sensible person would. Price is now the greatest thing since Jacques Plante because no one in the NHL was under more pressure than him last season and he grew up and matured right before my eyes into an unshakeable tender who is calm, cool and collected at all times.

As for Martin, nice revisionism. I have loved and hated parts of his strategy from day one. His defensive system is fantastic when you have the right players and they buy into it, but now we don't have all the right players and I'm not yet convinced in this young season that all the players have bought in. His line combos and changes have ALWAYS been poor/suspect and he always has waited far too long to tear lines apart that don't work. He also no longer has Muller to co-ordinate special teams and be the fire to Martin's ice. The players loved and played for Muller. Don't think any would say the same about Martin.

Anyways, Martin's system has gotten the Habs 3 more playoff rounds in the past 2 seasons than the Leafs have had since Kadri was in diapers, so perhaps I shouldn't complain too much. And, unlike the Leafs, Martin will turn this team around.

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
Two seasons ago I was ripping Price because he had played two bad seasons in a row, like any sensible person would. I wanted to keep Halak because he played much better than and took Price's job (and turned in a near Patrick Roy-esque playoff run), like any sensible person would. Price is now the greatest thing since Jacques Plante because no one in the NHL was under more pressure than him last season and he grew up and matured right before my eyes into an unshakeable tender who is calm, cool and collected at all times.

As for Martin, nice revisionism. I have loved and hated parts of his strategy from day one. His defensive system is fantastic when you have the right players and they buy into it, but now we don't have all the right players and I'm not yet convinced in this young season that all the players have bought in. His line combos and changes have ALWAYS been poor/suspect and he always has waited far too long to tear lines apart that don't work. He also no longer has Muller to co-ordinate special teams and be the fire to Martin's ice. The players loved and played for Muller. Don't think any would say the same about Martin.

Anyways, Martin's system has gotten the Habs 3 more playoff rounds in the past 2 seasons than the Leafs have had since Kadri was in diapers, so perhaps I shouldn't complain too much. And, unlike the Leafs, Martin will turn this team around.
I haven't seen flip flops that good since i went to sandbanks beach in the summer

Oh hey there 4-0 start.

cfudD.jpg

We will not make the playoffs............................................................

Levyne

Banned
Ended up falling asleep yesterday during the Hawks game, good to see them pull out a win. Bring on the defending champs! (I actually get the Hawks game on TV tomorrow, yay!)

snack

Just saw the Asham fight from yesterday. I'd have to say it was just pure adrenaline that led to the hand gestures.

Revenant

snack said:
Just saw the Asham fight from yesterday. I'd have to say it was just pure adrenaline that led to the hand gestures.

yup, like i said yesterday, it's a dick move, but sometimes stupid shit like that just escapes you when you have your adrenaline pumping. I know i'm guilty of that.

Revenant said:
yup, like i said yesterday, it's a dick move, but sometimes stupid shit like that just escapes you when you have your adrenaline pumping. I know i'm guilty of that.

Seconded. I don't get why a guy can't celebrate kicking the shit out of another guy. He won the fight pretty handidly.

Revenant

brucewaynegretzky said:
Seconded. I don't get why a guy can't celebrate kicking the shit out of another guy. He won the fight pretty handidly.

well I think the issue was he was hurt from it, so Asham should have been more respectful, but frankly, it was a fight between two willing participants right? Not like Asham boarded him from behind and then chose to run around the Ice acting like Ultimate Warrior..

Revenant said:
well I think the issue was he was hurt from it, so Asham should have been more respectful, but frankly, it was a fight between two willing participants right? Not like Asham boarded him from behind and then chose to run around the Ice acting like Ultimate Warrior..

So he's supposed to be unhappy he won a fight? I don't get what people WANTED Asham to do. If he just skated away without making the gesture the guy is still hurt. Asham's taunt is the most inconsequential part of the entire ordeal. Also, I don't think its fair at all for people to call Asham an "enforcer." He can surely fight and play physical, but he can play as well and he isn't known for taking stupid penalties. If you're trying to make an argument about people who shouldn't be in the league you most likely AREN'T talking about Aaron Asham.

Jacques Martin’s lines, for this morning's practice: Travis Moen-Scott Gomez- Brian Gionta; Lars Eller-Tomas Plekanec-Erik Cole; Andrei Kostitsyn-David Desharnais-Max Pacioretty; Mathieu Darche-Andeas Engqvist-Aaron Palushaj.

I'd keep them that way for the whole game. Gomez and Gionta deserve to play with a moron like Moen, and those other two lines actually look alright.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Foreign Jackass said:
Jacques Martin’s lines, for this morning's practice: Travis Moen-Scott Gomez- Brian Gionta; Lars Eller-Tomas Plekanec-Erik Cole; Andrei Kostitsyn-David Desharnais-Max Pacioretty; Mathieu Darche-Andeas Engqvist-Aaron Palushaj.

I'd keep them that way for the whole game. Gomez and Gionta deserve to play with a moron like Moen, and those other two lines actually look alright.

Calling Moen a moron is ridiculous. Sure he is not first or second line talent, but he plays hard and can deliver occasionally.

Also they had Emelin on the PP. Need to try something to get things going.

SCHUEY F1 said:
Calling Moen a moron is ridiculous. Sure he is not first or second line talent, but he plays hard and can deliver occasionally.

Also they had Emelin on the PP. Need to try something to get things going.
Moen just isn't good, dude. I don't know him personally.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here's my complaint about the Asham gesture--it's crap like that gesture that is what is eventually going to end up getting fighting in hockey banned. That stuff does not go over well with fans and the media and it does nothing but give the league bad press.

Eventually the league is just going to say "screw it" and move on without fighting, which would be a shame.

Plinko said:
Here's my complaint about the Asham gesture--it's crap like that gesture that is what is eventually going to end up getting fighting in hockey banned. That stuff does not go over well with fans and the media and it does nothing but give the league bad press.

Eventually the league is just going to say "screw it" and move on without fighting, which would be a shame.

This is very practical complaint, and I can agree with it. But it bugs me that a bunch of whiny assholes who don't play the game are gonna ruin it for everyone.

Asham went to my highschool in Red Deer, he took a few courses while playing for the Rebels. Great guy, humble, he was actually one of the best scorers in the WHL not a 3rd/4th liner (I think he even led the Rebels in scoring one year).

That being said, I thought that was very bush league of him doing that after the fight. I never expected that from him. Watch any of the goons who have knocked someone out during a fight and they skate to the box right away and usually with their head down in concern or to not get the crowd even more riled up if a guy is legitimately hurt. Didn't like this one bit.

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:

I can feel Solo's hard-on from here. Mmmmmmmmm

Solo

Foreign Jackass said:

Finally! Now slot those as lines 1 and 2 please. Love how Eller goes from fourth to first line over the course of one BEAST game.

Gomer and Gio deserve a third line demotion.

brucewaynegretzky said:
This is very practical complaint, and I can agree with it. But it bugs me that a bunch of whiny assholes who don't play the game are gonna ruin it for everyone.

I just don't understand, there are plenty of other fights where blood is drawn and other things and people are celebrating to the box. This isn't some unheard of thing. They both willingly fought, most aren't expressing huge concern after a fight. I doubt asham knew it was that bad at the time. At least when I watched there was nothing indicating he was seriously hurt. Plenty of fighters have gotten one hit and went down. This is not unheard of in a fight.

The Internet said:
Asham went to my highschool in Red Deer, he took a few courses while playing for the Rebels. Great guy, humble, he was actually one of the best scorers in the WHL not a 3rd/4th liner (I think he even led the Rebels in scoring one year).

That being said, I thought that was very bush league of him doing that after the fight. I never expected that from him. Watch any of the goons who have knocked someone out during a fight and they skate to the box right away and usually with their head down in concern or to not get the crowd even more riled up if a guy is legitimately hurt. Didn't like this one bit.
Bullshit there are plenty that they don't really realize until they get to the box that guy isn't getting up and it wasn't just a good hit that stunned them. They are all so concerned when they drawn blood and they're bleeding all over the ice too right?

C Jones

brucewaynegretzky said:
Yeah it's more of the "fight etiquette" that was violated. He's not a goon by any stretch but he's a fighter and he knows better. You beat him, just skate to the box.

I heard his apology. Asham himself said it was "classless" and he went as far to apologize to the Capitals as a whole. He sounded very sincere. He said he didn't even intend to fight. He said he just skated over to talk to him about running players, to basically warn him. Then the fight broke out and he got caught up with the crowd and he wanted to spark the Pens bench and he got carried away.

I don't think it was the worst thing in the world but I'm happy he apologized.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dastardly Jerks said:
In four games with the Canucks, Marco Sturm has 1 SOG.
Worst pickup by far. I'm not going nuts this early in the season, but this is the one acquisition I'd like to turn the clock back on, by far. I wish we'd kept Raffi Torres.

bishoptl said:
Worst pickup by far. I'm not going nuts this early in the season, but this is the one acquisition I'd like to turn the clock back on, by far. I wish we'd kept Raffi Torres.

Really? Torres was such a scumbag though. Even though Cooke is playing really well so far for the pens I still wouldn't miss a second of sleep if we got rid of his ass. I'd take a less talented player over a scumbag player any day.

fallout

C Jones said:
Yeah it's more of the "fight etiquette" that was violated. He's not a goon by any stretch but he's a fighter and he knows better. You beat him, just skate to the box.

I heard his apology. Asham himself said it was "classless" and he went as far to apologize to the Capitals as a whole. He sounded very sincere. He said he didn't even intend to fight. He said he just skated over to talk to him about running players, to basically warn him. Then the fight broke out and he got caught up with the crowd and he wanted to spark the Pens bench and he got carried away.

I don't think it was the worst thing in the world but I'm happy he apologized.
I think that says more about his character than his post-fight gestures. Good on him for that.

bishoptl said:
I wish we'd kept Raffi Torres.
Did you ever think you'd be saying that? Heh.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Foreign Jackass said:

I don't mind JM's line juggling all that much, I just hate how he randomly throws 3 guys on a line for a shift or two and then splits them up again, he never lets them develop any chemistry, and refuses to sit vets. Gionta was fucking terrible last night and should have had 3rd / 4th line minutes. Also Pleks on the point is an awful idea and should be removed already, it never works. Leaf fans can chirp all they want, because they only way they make it into the playoffs is if Price, Lunqvist, Ward, or Roloson go down in injury, or a team just has an epic meltdown.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Really? Torres was such a scumbag though. Even though Cooke is playing really well so far for the pens I still wouldn't miss a second of sleep if we got rid of his ass. I'd take a less talented player over a scumbag player any day.
I wouldn't put Torres and Cooke on the same level.

Cooke is an absolute scumbag. Raffi Torres is just literally insane, but he's not really a dirty player. The bad hits he's made legitimately just came from being caught in the emotions and going flat out crazy, but he doesn't intentionally try to take down people.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Bullshit there are plenty that they don't really realize until they get to the box that guy isn't getting up and it wasn't just a good hit that stunned them. They are all so concerned when they drawn blood and they're bleeding all over the ice too right?

Can you name another example in the NHL where a player knocked somebody out in a fight and made fun of the guy that was unconscious?

Asham knew he was knocked out, if a guy is unconscious that's where the concern should lie...not "does he need help off the ice" or the next day diagnosis from a doctor to show a little respect.

The Internet said:
Can you name another example in the NHL where a player knocked somebody out in a fight and made fun of the guy that was unconscious?

Asham knew he was knocked out, if a guy is unconscious that's where the concern should lie...not "does he need help off the ice" or the next day diagnosis from a doctor to show a little respect.

I don't have videos on me no. And ya, the gesture was douche like other gestures after other fights. It's a hockey fight.

SpectreFire said:
I wouldn't put Torres and Cooke on the same level.

Cooke is an absolute scumbag. Raffi Torres is just literally insane, but he's not really a dirty player. The bad hits he's made legitimately just came from being caught in the emotions and going flat out crazy, but he doesn't intentionally try to take down people.

I don't agree with that at all... I'm by no means saying they are exactly the same but you can't have a bunch of dirty hits like Torres did and just shrug of as "The guy just has too much heart!". That's such some Tabris-level bullshit.

The Internet said:

Boo-fucking-who. Again, what did you want from him? "O I'm sorry I knocked you out in a fight you arguably initiated?" The whole etiquette thing is bullshit. He apologized because he felt bad and that's good for him, but if he didn't I wouldn't think any less of him. Seriously, every single argument boils down to how badly the victim gets hurt and not about whether the actions taken are themselves acceptable. Reactionary bullshit all the time.

@MikeColligan Mike Colligan
#Pens Arron Asham said his gesture after the 3rd period fight was classless and totally uncalled for, said he was caught up in the moment
Arron Asham reads NHL-Gaf.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't agree with that at all... I'm by no means saying they are exactly the same but you can't have a bunch of dirty hits like Torres did and just shrug of as "The guy just has too much heart!". That's such some Tabris-level bullshit.
I'm not shrugging it off or using it as an excuse, but I'm saying you can't compare it to Cooke's hits. Cooke does what he does because he wants to hurt people. From what I can tell, Raffi Torres does it because he's just crazy and reckless at times. You can say he's a reckless player, but calling him an intentionally dirty player on the level of Cooke is pushing I'd say.

Simply put, Raffi Torres doesn't hit players with the intent of killing their careers.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't have videos on me no. And ya, the gesture was douche like other gestures after other fights. It's a hockey fight.

Yes it was douchey, no it wasn't like other fights when an oppenent is knocked out.

The Internet said:
Yes it was douchey, no it wasn't like other fights when an oppenent is knocked out.

So it's only bad if you find out later the dude was knocked out? It's totally cool to showboat like douchebag if he's only bleeding a lot? As long as we know where the line is drawn. If it's only blood, the person can't be injured at alll It's fucking fighting in the NHL, it's douche now that we know he was knocked out and needed help off. If he was still showboating from the box then I would be pretty pissed since he definitely knows he's hurt but just because he went down from the punch doesn't make me think he's this demon you're trying to paint him as.

Revenant

SpectreFire said:
Arron Asham reads NHL-Gaf.

I'm not shrugging it off or using it as an excuse, but I'm saying you can't compare it to Cooke's hits. Cooke does what he does because he wants to hurt people. From what I can tell, Raffi Torres does it because he's just crazy and reckless at times. You can say he's a reckless player, but calling him an intentionally dirty player on the level of Cooke is pushing I'd say.

Simply put, Raffi Torres doesn't hit players with the intent of killing their careers.

oh, so he's an idiot.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So it's only bad if you find out later the dude was knocked out? It's totally cool to showboat like douchebag if he's only bleeding a lot? As long as we know where the line is drawn. If it's only blood, the person can't be injured at alll It's fucking fighting in the NHL, it's douche now that we know he was knocked out and needed help off. If he was still showboating from the box then I would be pretty pissed since he definitely knows he's hurt but just because he went down from the punch doesn't make me think he's this demon you're trying to paint him as.
What's this whole blood thing you're going on about? You keep on bringing it up.

I just find it funny that you think Asham didn't know he was knocked out. LOL.

I've been watching hockey for a long time, you make it seem like this is an everyday occurance with the whole "this is hockey and fighting, man!"

The fact that Asham thinks his actions were classless and you think it was okay is pathetic really.

The Internet said:
What's this whole blood thing you're going on about? You keep on bringing it up.

I just find it funny that you think Asham didn't know he was knocked out. LOL.

I've been watching hockey for a long time, you make it seem like this is an everyday occurance with the whole "this is hockey and fighting, man!"

The fact that Asham thinks his actions were classless and you think it was okay is pathetic really.

:lol You should learn to read since I already said it was a douchebag gesture. You're right, I should just add more LOLs to my responses like you.

Manics said:
Bottom line is Martin's system works when you have a goalie playing superhuman like Halak did two seasons ago or Price did last year. When the goalie is merely average (and I'm being generous here since Price has been bad so far) you lose more often than not.

Exactly. The problem with these antiquated defensive systems is the need to have a high-quality goaltender playing near-perfect every single game to have a chance to win. I can't stand teams that depend so much on one player doing all the work. And the worst part is, they have the talent to play better but choose to stink up arena's all over the league instead.

The best thing to happen to Montreal this season, if it happens, is to replace Martin. And not with Ken Hitchcock, because that'd be the exact same thing.

Solo

Price conformed to be playing tomorrow night against Colorado. Kind of unexpected, since they wanted him to only play 75% of the games this season, and starting Budaj versus his old team seems like a no brainer.

Dipietro just can not catch a break at all, now they are saying he has a concussion from that shot he took at practice. :/

He really is made of glass isn't he?

NY Islanders goalie Rick Dipietro out again with concussion no timetable for return

Spire said:

Sweet, I've been waiting for a video of this, I still feel that it will eventually malfunction and kill someone, but at least it looks sweet. Though it doesn't look like what I thought it would, thought originally they said it would shoot lightning straight up but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom