• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
alexthekid said:
Ok NHL-GAF so I just came from my first NHL game in 10 years and man it was great! I had tickets on the upper level almost in the center but it wasn't that bad, It really gave you a good overview of the game even though I rather would have had better seats of course. The game was great(apart from the beginning) and really tight. Not a lot of goals scored but who cares, there were some good one man shows, Pavelski says hi! The Ducks was really good for a part of the second period but otherwise it felt like the Sharks was a little better but Hiller and goalposts(both ways) said no! Murrays skating awfulness was looking a step worse IRL.

A part from the hockey the experience was good but could have been better. There were some open seats and that's sad on a homeopener. All the Shark fans impressed me though, it must have been some organized trip? Didn't think it happened on a scale like this in California. I didn't think that the powerbreaks would be this annoying without the tv-commercials but it was almost as bad.

We will see when I manage to get to a new game but I hope it will be soon!

PS. Honda Center is nice...

Nice, glad to hear you enjoyed your first game. It's nice closer up but if I don't have the money I never skip just because I would have to get nosebleeds. The stadiums feel more compact so even the nosebleeds make you feel like you're really close compared to other sports. I still think it's by far the best sport to watch live.

Manics

Banned
FortunateSon said:
Okay. So the leafs are playing tommorow if I'm right and as it is I'm already down from finding out about Lindsay Lohan current status after just watching mean girls.

Fucking bullshit. Leafs better win or I'm pulling that jack out and batting it home!
Anger management issues?

Home

Not really tired of it. I'm glad he's impatient to get in the lineup - now he has to prove he can stay there. Competition for spots is always good.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Montresor said:
Any Leaf fans tired of seeing Franson whine to the media? You're our 7th defenseman. Get used to it.

I like his passion. He gets his shot tonight, if he doesn't do well he can't whine anymore.

Also yeah /depth.

Montresor said:
Any Leaf fans tired of seeing Franson whine to the media? You're our 7th defenseman. Get used to it.

I'm just glad we're in a position to have a good NHL defensemen sitting in the press box. Three years ago we'd be lucky to have a pee-wee level player as a healthy scratch.

Also I just read that since they were traded to the Flames, Stajan and Hagman have combined for a grand total of 24 goals. Fleeeeeeeeeeeeced!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Nice, glad to hear you enjoyed your first game. It's nice closer up but if I don't have the money I never skip just because I would have to get nosebleeds. The stadiums feel more compact so even the nosebleeds make you feel like you're really close compared to other sports. I still think it's by far the best sport to watch live.
Is nosebleeds closest to the rink? The tickets I always prefer in Sweden is comparable to the top of the lowest level here in NHL arenas(they are huge). When I sit close to the glass I always have a harder time to follow the game because of the bad overview.

alexthekid said:
Is nosebleeds closest to the rink? The tickets I always prefer in Sweden is comparable to the top of the lowest level here in NHL arenas(they are huge). When I sit close to the glass I always have a harder time to follow the game because of the bad overview.

Nah, nosebleeds are farthest away you can get so the highest level.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Nah, nosebleeds are farthest away you can get so the highest level.
Ah that makes sense, I totally read it wrong thought you said that you would never skip even though you couldnt get noosebleeds.

alexthekid said:
Ah that makes sense, I totally read it wrong thought you said that you would never skip even though you couldnt get noosebleeds.

Haha, nah I meant I usually try to get better seats like you want for next time but you still feel pretty close with nosebleeds so I've never skipped a game just because all I could buy was nosebleeds.

Simon Belmont said:
Also I just read that since they were traded to the Flames, Stajan and Hagman have combined for a grand total of 24 goals. Fleeeeeeeeeeeeced!

Don't diss the Staj! He was a decent player for us, asked to do things well beyond his skill level and pay grade. If the Leafs hadn't completely gone insane in the post-lockout years, he'd still be with us as competent 3rd line centre.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
bonesmccoy said:
Don't diss the Staj! He was a decent player for us, asked to do things well beyond his skill level and pay grade. If the Leafs hadn't completely gone insane in the post-lockout years, he'd still be with us as competent 3rd line centre.

I still proudly wear his jersey...

bonesmccoy said:
Stajan is an easy player to like, but let's not get carried away. He can barely hack being a 4th line center on the Flames.

Spl1nter

brucewaynegretzky said:
Leaving for Philly in like an hour! This game is gonna be amazing! I expect Gagne and Richards to get some pretty loud support. Should be a really fun atmosphere.

They better cheer for them. If philly fans boo Richards...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
bonesmccoy said:
Wasn't a fit for us.

Glad we traded him to the flames who, for some reason, are glad to overpay for him.

I'll take Phaneuf/Aulie any day.

Worst thing was that White, the best player in that deal, is gone.

I hope for Flames fans that Feaster has some sort of plan...and how's that bowmeester deal working out for you?

Simon Belmont said:
I'm just glad we're in a position to have a good NHL defensemen sitting in the press box. Three years ago we'd be lucky to have a pee-wee level player as a healthy scratch.

Leafs won that trade, without question.

Cactus

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I hope for Flames fans that Feaster has some sort of plan...and how's that bowmeester deal working out for you?

I think the team is crippled by all the no-trade clauses. I thought Feaster might blow things up once he took over, but he turned around and added even more of them! I mean, are Glencross/Babchuck/Tanguay important enough to be given no-trade/movement clauses? I'm not so sure about that.

Next summer will be pretty important since they have some salary coming off the books, so it will be interesting to see if they sign some more stopgap players and stay mediocre/borderline playoff team, or make some tough decisions and possibly start a rebuild.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Cactus said:
I think the team is crippled by all the no-trade clauses. I thought Feaster might blow things up once he took over, but he turned around and added even more of them! I mean, are Glencross/Babchuck/Tanguay important enough to be given no-trade/movement clauses? I'm not so sure about that.

Next summer will be pretty important since they have some salary coming off the books, so it will be interesting to see if they sign some more stopgap players and stay mediocre/borderline playoff team, or make some tough decisions and possibly start a rebuild.
I like Calgary; I'd say the Flames and Jets are who I'm rooting for after Toronto.

The rest of the Canadian teams can go eat a dick.

The Flames have some serious ass problems though.

No legit no. 1, which hampers Iginla's ability to score
Underperforming defensemen
Lack of quality prospects
No reliable back up goalie

I mean, who the hell do you build around? Iginla's one of my favourite players, but he's a bit long in the tooth to be part of a rebuilding team. Kipper is an all-star goalie, but even he's getting up in years and the constant workload exacerbates his weak glove hand during the playoffs. Bowmeester should've been the second coming of Christ, but he's been a major major bust.

At one time, they had Regher, Phaneuf, Bowmeester! The hell happened?! Now, they have an all-star winger and goalie and a bunch of spare parts.

Simon Belmont said:
Stajan is an easy player to like, but let's not get carried away. He can barely hack being a 4th line center on the Flames.

He did have couple 50 pt seasons for us pre-BB, so there's that. But if sanity existed within MLSE while he was here, he never would have been played out of position and outside of his skill set.

Of course, now we're doing the same thing to Bozak...

White's an acceptable player, and I hope he does finally find his place in a good team.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Can't imagine Leaf fans shitting on White. He did everything we asked of him, was a plus player, was a bargain, and didn't complain when we traded him.

Not like those fuckers who refused to be traded and give us nothing in return. :lol Richards in Dallas!

Cactus

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I like Calgary; I'd say the Flames and Jets are who I'm rooting for after Toronto.

The rest of the Canadian teams can go eat a dick.

The Flames have some serious ass problems though.

No legit no. 1, which hampers Iginla's ability to score
Underperforming defensemen
Lack of quality prospects
No reliable back up goalie

I mean, who the hell do you build around? Iginla's one of my favourite players, but he's a bit long in the tooth to be part of a rebuilding team. Kipper is an all-star goalie, but even he's getting up in years and the constant workload exacerbates his weak glove hand during the playoffs. Bowmeester should've been the second coming of Christ, but he's been a major major bust.

At one time, they had Regher, Phaneuf, Bowmeester! The hell happened?! Now, they have an all-star winger and goalie and a bunch of spare parts.

I think tanking sometime in the near future is their only real option. They could probably continue as they're going right now and possibly make the playoffs, but they'll never be a cup contender, or even a perennial playoff team with the core that they have right now. The sooner Iginla and Kipprusoff are traded the better for the organization and its fans, IMO.

Hopefully the game against Minny today doesn't put me to sleep like last year, they were one of the most boring teams to play against but with the addition of Seto and Heatley and no Burns, maybe it will have some more action to it.

Hoping the Wings can make it 4 in a row to start the season, that would be great. :D

Slurmer

Banned
have fun bruce, look forward to seeing what you have to say about it afterwards. if i could go to one game all season it'd be this one.

Spl1nter said:
They better cheer for them. If philly fans boo Richards...

There will be a few that boo, like there always is in situations like this one, but you won't be able to hear them. I think Richards is going to get a pretty huge ovation.

Montresor said:
Fuck him. I dropped him in my keepers league. Dumbass Leafs coach playing a bunch of thugs instead of him. Picked up Nick Leddy instead.

Edit : Toronto loses to Calgary tonight.

Didn't Franson find out he's a scratch through the media and not directly from the coach ? Can't really blame him for being pissed if so.

Ottawa plays the Caps tonight and Auld is starting.

Final score 20-1.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
KernelPanic said:
Didn't Franson find out he's a scratch through the media and not directly from the coach ? Can't really blame him for being pissed if so.

Final score 20-1.

I predict a surprise upset. 3-1 Sens.

No I don't.

KernelPanic said:

Final score 20-1.
The Caps will find a way to make this game interesting.

I can't remember the last time they had a blowout win.

ZeroGravity

Boucher's not messing around with this team anymore. Already benching Teddy Purcell and Ryan Shannon for tonight and threatened to bench Ryan Malone in practice as well.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ZeroGravity said:
Boucher's not messing around with this team anymore. Already benching Teddy Purcell and Ryan Shannon for tonight and threatened to bench Ryan Malone in practice as well.

I saw that tweet that Bob McKenzie RT'd:

Boucher to Malone during a drill: "Bugsy, is that your game speed? If it is tell me now and I'll put somebody else in the lineup"

Ouch.

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
Fuck him. I dropped him in my keepers league. Dumbass Leafs coach playing a bunch of thugs instead of him. Picked up Nick Leddy instead.

Yes not playing Franson was obviously a mistake given the Leafs are 2-0. What the fuck was Wilson thinking? What the fuck!

Foreign Jackass said:

Toronto wins confirmed.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
HFBoards comes through sometimes. In response to the news of Tampa Bay's tesla coils:

99j3h5.jpg

Spire said:
HFBoards comes through sometimes. In response to the news of Tampa Bay's tesla coils:

99j3h5.jpg

That has to be one of the best photoshops I've seen in a long time along with one of the worst dives, what even happened on that play? Didn't even look like Crosby was hit, he just fell down.

edit: or I could be wrong and it isn't a dive I just have no idea what caused him to go down like he did.

Home

Doesn't look like a dive to me, looks like their legs got caught up on each other.

The slide at the end maybe lol.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Spire said:

99j3h5.jpg
The odd stuff like this that comes out of Hfboards redeems it for all the other past bullshit proposals and trade disputes.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
CrazedArabMan said:
That has to be one of the best photoshops I've seen in a long time along with one of the worst dives, what even happened on that play? Didn't even look like Crosby was hit, he just fell down.

edit: or I could be wrong and it isn't a dive I just have no idea what caused him to go down like he did.

He fell on his leg and it twisted in a weird way. I have no idea if there was a penalty or not.

Marvie_3

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:

Good move.

Spire said:
He fell on his leg and it twisted in a weird way. I have no idea if there was a penalty or not.

It was more of his fall, which looked like a rag doll from NHL 11 or something and didn't match a leg injury if that is what he sustained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom