• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Spl1nter

Leafs still have over 6 mil if they are aiming for 20 man roster

I think it might even be possible for them to operate above the cap at times. Since marlies play in Toronto for home games you only need 20 man roster while on the road you need the extra guys. Cap is calculated on a per-game basis. Then again if the move liles its not a problem.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Liles isn't going anywhere.

I think its time the leafs bust out some picks to entice someone to take liles or phaneuf.

We need to drop someone.... Or else if we trade franson we likely won't get a quality player in return

That and its becoming more difficult to get rielly on the roster for opening day

yyzjohn

Banned
I think its time the leafs bust out some picks to entice someone to take liles or phaneuf.

We need to drop someone.... Or else if we trade franson we likely won't get a quality player in return

That and its becoming more difficult to get rielly on the roster for opening day

Liles is the 2nd highest paid defenseman on the Leafs which is ridiculous. Buy his ass out if they can't trade him. Cap going up next year so they can afford the cap hits ($2.5M in retained salary + Armstrong/Tucker buyouts is over)

Liles buyout cap hit from capgeek:
2013-14: $875,000
2014-15: $875,000
2015-16: $2,375,000
2016-17: $1,250,000
2017-18: $1,250,000
2018-19: $1,250,000

Curufinwe

Liles is the 2nd highest paid defenseman on the Leafs which is ridiculous. Buy his ass out if they can't trade him. Cap going up next year so they can afford the cap hits ($2.5M in retained salary + Armstrong/Tucker buyouts is over)

Did Toronto already use its two compliance buyouts?

DopeyFish

And if the cap doesn't increase or increases by $2 million? Well.. There goes that extra money now we won't be able to resign phaneuf anyways. Kessel is obv priority signing next year

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

No one is taking Liles and no one is taking Phaneuf unless they fleece the Leafs. I don't understand why you want to rush Rielly so badly, dmen take longer to develop and the Leafs D is already suspect. Franson is a goner.

I don't think many teams(that aren't on internal budgets) have cap space to take on a Liles or Phaneuf contract without sending salary the other way.

DopeyFish

No one is taking Liles and no one is taking Phaneuf unless they fleece the Leafs. I don't understand why you want to rush Rielly so badly, dmen take longer to develop and the Leafs D is already suspect. Franson is a goner.

It's not the point of rushing rielly, its the point that we CAN'T even put him on his tryout.

Remember, he can only play in WHL or NHL... No AHL

So if he's wasting his time in WHL then he should be in NHL.

yyzjohn

Banned
And if the cap doesn't increase or increases by $2 million? Well.. There goes that extra money now we won't be able to resign phaneuf anyways. Kessel is obv priority signing next year

The next 2 seasons the cap hit would be 875k vs. the current $3.875M, so the Leafs would actually be saving $3M against the cap this season and next season. If you don't think the cap will increase 3 years from now I don't know what to tell you.

Red_Man

I don't think many teams(that aren't on internal budgets) have cap space to take on a Liles or Phaneuf contract without sending salary the other way.
This.

It's not the point of rushing rielly, its the point that we CAN'T even put him on his tryout.

Remember, he can only play in WHL or NHL... No AHL

So if he's wasting his time in WHL then he should be in NHL.
There's no such thing as ruining a players development from spending more time in the minors, can't say the same for rushing a guy to the NHL.

The next 2 seasons the cap hit would be 875k vs. the current $3.875M, so the Leafs would actually be saving $3M against the cap this season and next season. If you don't think the cap will increase 3 years from now I don't know what to tell you.
Leafs already used their two buyouts.

yyzjohn

Banned
This.

There's no such thing as ruining a players development from spending more time in the miners, can't say the same for rushing a guy to the NHL.

Regular buyout not compliance buyout, that's why i'm including a cap hit for Liles.

uV1tP6T.jpg

Buff looking good.

DopeyFish

If revenue increases by $300 mil vs last full season... We are looking at less than $2 mil cap increase

If NHL can expand to $4 bil, then cap increases to $73 mil

So first $300 mil is $1.8 mil and second $300 mil is $6 mil (thanks to preset cap)

I have my doubts NHL can increase that much considering what was the primary driver the last CBA (Canadian dollar, Atlanta to WPG, new TV deal)

These factors don't exist now... That's why you see like 8 outdoor games next year. (That can only bring in like $40 mil)

uV1tP6T.jpg

Buff looking good.

He became FIT

yyzjohn

Banned
If revenue increases by $300 mil vs last full season... We are looking at less than $2 mil cap increase

So first $300 mil is $1.8 mil and second $300 mil is $6 mil (thanks to preset cap)

I have my doubts NHL can increase that much considering what was the primary driver the last CBA (Canadian dollar, Atlanta to WPG, new TV deal)

These factors don't exist now... That's why you see like 8 outdoor games next year. (That can only bring in like $40 mil)

UUAzHuz.jpg

They can still do a non-compliance buyout but I think the window is closed for that anyway until next year.

We'll have expansion and relocation in this CBA at some point, however I don't think expansion fees count as HRR.
Canadian TV deal expires after this season.
NHL probably has a bunch more sponsorships now.
Then again the Canadian dollar has slid this year.

Who knows? but I doubt they will keep growing linearly every year, they'll hit a wall at some point.

Plus it depends which teams go far into the playoffs and to the SCF. Boston vs. Chicago was pretty much an ideal scenario in terms of US ratings.

Red_Man

My old one of Ford or the new Nonis? I was tired of having that bastard on my avatar since he never got busted for crack. What a disappointment. Nonis looks confused in my new avatar so it's a keeper.
He didn't? I stopped following it after a couple weeks, didn't a newspaper organization have a video or something like that?

yyzjohn

Banned
He didn't? I stopped following it after a couple weeks, didn't a newspaper organization have a video or something like that?

Nobody but the Gawker editor and 2 Star reporters ever saw the video. Has to hit the public before Ford gets the boot. Sucks.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers avoid arbitration. Zuccarello signed to a 1 year, $1.15m deal. Honestly surprised he signed for only one year and not two. Money seems right on, though.

I think this gives the Rangers about $4m with which to sign Stepan, once you account for the savings on Powe and Asham's contracts.

Top Bottom