• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Socreges

Banned
They've done pretty well for themselves, despite only having five 1st round picks since 2000.

However, from 2010 to 2012, they've only had 2 players play a game in the NHL.
Drafting Datsyuk and Zetterberg so late is what sets them apart. Unbelievable that they were taken so late and in consecutive years. Otherwise they've had similar success to other teams (with later picks).

I love how those two picks alone set forth a decade of "WINGS ARE THE BEST SCOUTING AND DEVELOPMENT ANYWHERE IN THE HISTORY OF EVER" statements into motion.

Raw in Columbus last night:

64zyYxL.png

So I didn't watch the Lottery and just learned that Rich Pracey was our representative there. He's our amature scout, Sherman was no where to be found. Could potentially read into this as our GM spot being up for grabs soon. Sherman seemingly had no where better to be unless he's locked in an office with Lacroix and Kroenke Jr fighting for his job.

Curufinwe

Damn this sucks so much for the Flyers. I was hoping that if the Flyers didnt win then the Jackets would since maybe they would be willing to trade the pick. Oh well at least the Devils didnt win it. I will be rooting for them to win it next year though. Man that would be awesome.

Columbus are in our division now. If they won they would kept Jones or demanded a huge return for him. Neither option would have been good for Philly.

I love how those two picks alone set forth a decade of "WINGS ARE THE BEST SCOUTING AND DEVELOPMENT ANYWHERE IN THE HISTORY OF EVER" statements into motion.

Dang, you have just been pouring on the salt here lately haven't you? Did the Wings kill your dog or something? Anyways, yes D and Z have helped with the saying of how well our scouting is. However, we are completely stacked in terms of prospects at both forward and defense right now with an amazing young goalie in Mrazek leading the Griffins into the playoffs. We have one of the top prospect pools in the league at the moment, and all of that without top 10 draft picks or even many first round draft picks at that since Holland trades them away like candy. Say what you will, but at the end of the day, our scouting as done a great job and finding players that complement this team very well and it has worked over the last 20 years to our advantage.

Also take into account our rookies unfortunately over-ripe in the AHL and there are a few who are still down there who would probably be playing on other teams right now. We also have had a number of rookies play for us this year, most of which are showing they belong in the NHL with Nyquist and Tatar showing true top 6 potential. Unfortunately Smith had a poor year for being our top prospect, but he still shows great potential and am hoping he can shore up his defensive game in the off-season.

Dang, you have just been pouring on the salt here lately haven't you? Did the Wings kill your dog or something? Anyways, yes D and Z have helped with the saying of how well our scouting is. However, we are completely stacked in terms of prospects at both forward and defense right now with an amazing young goalie in Mrazek leading the Griffins into the playoffs. We have one of the top prospect pools in the league at the moment, and all of that without top 10 draft picks or even many first round draft picks at that since Holland trades them away like candy. Say what you will, but at the end of the day, our scouting as done a great job and finding players that complement this team very well and it has worked over the last 20 years to our advantage.

Some where Kyle Quincey is shedding a tear

Var

Kind of interesting seeing the updated mock drafts after the lottery. A few have Nurse not going in the top 10. I can't imagine him staying on the board past the 8th pick.

calder

Interesting picks, and the Flyers reaching a bit for Nurse makes sense, I had no idea he had that random relation to Philadelphia.

One guy who projects as a second rounder has me intrigued - Madison Bowey. I knew nothing about him before the U18s but he looked really good in the two games I saw as a solid all around defenceman, and he's from Winnipeg so I'm predisposed to imagining him in a Jets sweater already. It's embarrassing how badly Manitoba does in generating NHL talent comparative to other small provinces in Canada.

Curufinwe

MacKinnon is a lock for #2. Don't see how we don't draft him. Exactly the player we need.

I agree. I'm surprised both these mock drafts had Drouin going second.

Things could get crazy outside the top four spots. Shame we can't just skip these next two months of playoffs and go right to the draft.

This makes a lot of sense.

I'd REALLY like to see the Flyers find a way to pick ahead of Edmonton.

To take Nurse or Ristolainen or someone else?

Var

I would freeze myself until the draft, but then I would miss the joys of seeing the Penguins choke again.

I'd REALLY like to see the Flyers find a way to pick ahead of Edmonton.

Sounds like Nashville's already gotten a call about the 4th overall. Wouldn't be surprised if Holmgren's already on the phone.

Not sure what we could really do to move up without losing too much, though.

Assuming Nurse and Ristolainen are gone in the top 10, Zadorov or Pulock should still be available.

Sounds like Nashville's already gotten a call about the 4th overall. Wouldn't be surprised if Holmgren's already on the phone.

Not sure what we could really do to move up without losing too much, though.

Assuming Nurse and Ristolainen are gone in the top 10, Zadorov or Pulock should still be available.

If he trades Couts NOW just to get the damn pick I'm actually gonna convert over to the realm of "crazy fan who sends in angry letters."

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I still don't get the hype surrounding Jones. With that said, congrats to Avs for not letting Edm get it again. Makes sense to get a D man anyways since they have a lot of Cs. Still...

Considering that they could've had Cgy's pick as well, they could've potentially had Jones and another top flight prospect this year.

Also, as the Avs take Jones, who the hell is Edm going to take? Mac and Dro likely won't be there this time. Do they get a D man? Do they get another one dimensional scoring forward?
He literally has no flaws in his game. He's incredible both defensively and offensively, and excels at every aspect of his game while being amazingly athletic.

Just something I noticed in the GTA V trailer. (sorry if it's been pointed out already)

jA1B7cO.png

I noticed that as well, bet that would have never been in there if LA hadn't won the Stanley Cup last year. Wonder if Los Santos has an equivalent to the Staples Center.

Also take into account our rookies unfortunately over-ripe in the AHL and there are a few who are still down there who would probably be playing on other teams right now. We also have had a number of rookies play for us this year, most of which are showing they belong in the NHL with Nyquist and Tatar showing true top 6 potential. Unfortunately Smith had a poor year for being our top prospect, but he still shows great potential and am hoping he can shore up his defensive game in the off-season.

Nyquist and Tatar showing true top 6 potential? Even rookies on other teams fourth lines did better than 13 combined points in 40 games.

You're cool, but it's playoffs time and the Wings suck... So armour up :)

Top Bottom