• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Congrats. Best outcome possible. We get MacKinnon and Jones is in the west.

By the power of Flash and Mueller everything turned out well. East-West Avs connection.

Also fuck you Colorado for not beating Minnesota in the last game of the season :(

Sorry bro. I feel for the Lightning. Still have a good pick, Sherman may even be taking trades for the pick but he better goddamn not.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Cool, I like the Avs.

Now the fun begins, waiting until that 11th pick.

Ugh..

GameofJones1_zpse188ccda.jpg

Socreges

Banned
By the power of Flash and Mueller everything turned out well. East-West Avs connection.

Sorry bro. I feel for the Lightning. Still have a good pick, Sherman may even be taking trades for the pick but he better goddamn not.
We'll give you Luongo.

Just remembered that the Avs could potentially be in a different division than the Canucks anyhow.

Curufinwe

I hope some team reaches for Fucale in the top 10 to give Philly an extra defensemen to choose from. Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadorov and Pulock could all be in play.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Glad to see Jones will stick in the West, but the thought of Stamkos and Druin playing on the same line in a few years is equally depressing.

Do you have many strong D prospects? I suspect thats what the lightning are looking for.
That's our biggest strength, Habs have one of the deepest D prospect pools in the league. I highly doubt Tampa moves that pick though, if we trade our D prospects it would probably be to Edmonton since MacTavish wants to shake things up.

That would be phenomenally stupid.

Just remembered that the Avs could potentially be in a different division than the Canucks anyhow.

It wouldn't shock me at all if he traded it away. He has this thing about trading away young blueline studs. Jones would be a huge piece to turning this team around.

Curufinwe

Nurse has the highest upside but Ristolainen had already been playing in a men's league, so I think he could play a full NHL season. Nurse should probably go back to Junior for another year.

Cool, I like the Avs.

NJ or Columbus winning would have been too awful for words.

Solo

Do you have many strong D prospects? I suspect thats what the lightning are looking for.

We have D prospects and 4 picks in the Top 60 of this year's draft. I think we'd be in a pretty good spot to deal, but something tells me Tampa isn't selling that pick.

A guy can dream though. A Drouin-AGally-BGally future? Sign me the fuck uuuuuuup.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Drouin is a LW right?

Stamkos/St. Louis/Drouin.
twNBfJg.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if Bergevin made a big push for Druin, we already have an amazing core, and getting a player like Druin would make us a cup contender for years.

We have D prospects and 4 picks in the Top 60 of this year's draft. I think we'd be in a pretty good spot to deal, but something tells me Tampa isn't selling that pick.

A guy can dream though. A Drouin-AGally-BGally future? Sign me the fuck uuuuuuup.
With Patches - Eller - Collberg as a 2nd line? HNNNNNGGGGG

Man we are completely stacked at young C.
MacKinnon
Bjugstad
Shore
Mattias
Trochek

Fuck yes. MacKinnon's explosive speed and Hubey's playmaking. Lawd have mercy.

Florida and hockey doesn't make sense. Surrender your draft picks to your northern betters.

I will accept Drouin on behalf of the Flyers.

Godslay

Banned
Good for the Avs. Maybe with this pick and a new coach they turn things around. Might have to catch them in Minneapolis next year.

I wanted Jones simply for the reason he's a stud defenseman and the Avs defense is absolute shit, couple that with the fact he grew up in Denver Jones is like crack to Avs fans. Couldn't be happier, I guess Sherman could fuck this up though...

I wanted Jones simply for the reason he's a stud defenseman and the Avs defense is absolute shit, couple that with the fact he grew up in Denver Jones is like crack to Avs fans. Couldn't be happier, I guess Sherman could fuck this up though...

Barrie, Wilson and maybe Elliott are a decent D core. Jones with that group would be really fucking great. I just hope Elliott can learn some consistency.

Barrie, Wilson and maybe Elliott are a decent D core. Jones with that group would be really fucking great. I just hope Elliott can learn some consistency.

Elliott was looking more confidant towards the end of the season. We also have Siemens who is a great defensive prospect.
As for Johnson that guy needs to learn to hit the net. "Watch out, section 308, Erik Johnson is about to take a shot!"

Damn this sucks so much for the Flyers. I was hoping that if the Flyers didnt win then the Jackets would since maybe they would be willing to trade the pick. Oh well at least the Devils didnt win it. I will be rooting for them to win it next year though. Man that would be awesome.

calder

I feel personally responsible the Jets didn't win the lottery, I napped through the whole thing like Bryz through a team meeting.

Napping on Monday night sucks, now my sleep is fucked all week and I'll be up stupid late tonight so I'm going to be tired like every day at work.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get the hype surrounding Jones. With that said, congrats to Avs for not letting Edm get it again. Makes sense to get a D man anyways since they have a lot of Cs. Still...

Considering that they could've had Cgy's pick as well, they could've potentially had Jones and another top flight prospect this year.

Also, as the Avs take Jones, who the hell is Edm going to take? Mac and Dro likely won't be there this time. Do they get a D man? Do they get another one dimensional scoring forward?

Quick

Banned
I still don't get the hype surrounding Jones. With that said, congrats to Avs for not letting Edm get it again. Makes sense to get a D man anyways since they have a lot of Cs. Still...

He's young, and he's black, and his hat's real low, do I look like a mind reader, sir? I don't know.

calder

He's young, and he's black, and his hat's real low, do I look like a mind reader, sir? I don't know.

Great, now that one line is going to be stuck in my head all night. Something else to blame on Leaf Nation. :|

I was a bit meh on Seth Jones at the U20's this year (he was fine, but nothing special from what I saw), but last year at the U18s in his peer group he was polished and exceptional. Just smooth and so solid in his end, good size, great skating and some offense. Just based on what I remember, so I'm sure if I look it up it'll turn out he dominated the U20 but never played at all the U18 or something. When you get my age the years start blurring together :p

calder

You got something against black people, Calder?!

Haha I knew that would be too easy for you.

If anything, Jay-Z has should have something against me. I had never heard 99 Problems until that awful Battlefield commercial, and I asked my wife who sang that song and she looked at me like I was a crazy person shouting at her on the street. When you get over 30 years old and stop listening to the radio it's pretty embarrassing how fast music and pop culture starts passing you by.

It will happen to ALL you punk kids. You think it won't but it will!

Quick

Banned
Haha I knew that would be too easy for you.

If anything, Jay-Z has should have something against me. I had never heard 99 Problems until that awful Battlefield commercial, and I asked my wife who sang that song and she looked at me like I was a crazy person shouting at her on the street. When you get over 30 years old and stop listening to the radio it's pretty embarrassing how fast music and pop culture starts passing you by.

It will happen to ALL you punk kids. You think it won't but it will!

tumblr_lvxhzrMX421r4d22do1_400.jpg

calder

Oh god mock drafts are such a fucking waste of time. And mock drafts months ahead of time are even more useless. And still I can't resist...

1 Seth Jones Colorado Avalanche
TEAM: Portland (WHL)HT: 6-3WT: 210POS: D
Pick analysis: It's pretty likely that Jones will either go No. 1 or No. 2, but I don't see him slipping by the Avs. There's an obvious lack of depth at the position in this organization, coupled with the fact that Jones could easily be a No. 1-overall pick in many draft classes. Colorado has plenty of young bright stars at the forward position, with Gabriel Landeskog (1st, 2011), Matt Duchene (1st, 2009) and Ryan O'Reilly (2nd, 2009). Jones could play this fall based on his physical skills and size, but they might want to look at their current roster and remember how forcing a young D-man into the league can work against a prospect's development. Erik Johnson (the Blues' No. 1 overall pick in 2006) has never lived up to his billing. That said, Johnson could certainly help guide Jones through the pressures of being a top pick and could end up being very important to Jones and his development. I believe Jones has the ability to rise above adversity he encounters, though.

The selection of Jones would be too perfect. Back when the Avs won the Cup in 2001, Seth was at the game with his father, Popeye, then playing with the NBA's Denver Nuggets. It was Avalanche legend Joe Sakic who recommended to Popeye that Seth start taking skating lessons. As Sakic's name continues to be mentioned in connection with a front-office position in Colorado, wouldn't it be something if his first notable move was to reap the benefits of the advice he gave Popeye nearly 12 years ago?

2 Nathan MacKinnon Florida Panthers
TEAM: Halifax (QMJHL)HT: 5-11WT: 183POS: C
Pick analysis: The Panthers can use some defensive help, but let's not forget that a two-way center is an important part of a shutdown defensive unit, too. I believe MacKinnon is the best available player in the draft and I think he projects as a first-line center. The Panthers might have lost the lottery, but they'll still emerge a winner with MacKinnon in the fold. His dynamic skating and skill is suited for the NHL like no other player in this draft. He plays in all three zones with high-level grit and determination, all while performing at top speed. The Panthers have done an excellent job of stockpiling prospects. Erik Gudbranson (1st round, 2010), Dmitry Kulikov (1st, 2009), Alex Petrovic (1st rd, 2010) and T.J. Brennan (2nd, 2007 by Buffalo) will team with veteran Brian Campbell as an improving blue-line corps. While free agent Stephen Weiss might depart, MacKinnon would fit in nicely with Nick Bjugstad (1st, 2010) and Shawn Matthias (2nd, 2006 by Detroit) for a good 1-2-3 punch at center. A chance to unite with Calder Trophy candidate Jonathan Huberdeau (No. 3 overall in 2011) with MacKinnon could yield instant success.

3 Jonathan Drouin Tampa Bay Lightning
TEAM: Halifax (QMJHL)HT: 5-11WT: 185POS: LW
Pick analysis: Under the current regime, the Bolts have been known to draft skill. Some of their best forwards are getting older, including Martin St. Louis, Vincent Lecavalier and Ryan Malone. Don't expect this team to rush a player into the lineup, but Drouin can contribute sooner rather than later. The individual puck skills this creative winger has are dimensional, certainly some of the best I have ever seen. He is both a shooter and a passer and will learn over time to be a complementary player who contributes defensively. His quickness and willingness to get to loose pucks allow him to have possession, and with the puck he simply makes things happen offensively. The combination of Drouin and Steven Stamkos has the potential to be lethal.

4 Aleksander Barkov Nashville Predators
TEAM: Tappara (Finland)HT: 6-2WT: 205POS: LW
Pick analysis: The Preds have lots of depth on the blue line in their pipeline and can really use a top-two line center. Barkov produces offensively, and with a slight skating improvement he will become an important part to stabilizing the building blocks of the franchise. He is a heavy player who is very smart and has shown he can play at a high level, already performing against Finland's best in the SM-Liiga. He would be an excellent piece to groom with Filip Forsberg (1st rd, 2012), who was acquired in the Martin Erat trade with Caps.

5 Valeri Nichushkin Carolina Hurricanes
TEAM: Chelyabinsk (Russia)HT: 6-4WT: 196POS: LW
Pick analysis: The Canes could use a top level D-man, but Seth Jones will already be off the board and Nichuskin projects far better than the next blueliner for me. Perhaps they would move down in the draft to a point where they see the next D-man available, but if they stick here, this would be my pick. Alexander Semin is signed and adding size on the wing to go along with the Staal brothers at center, and all of a sudden there are some exciting options to play around with. This big Russian has elite size and skating, and in the second half of the season he is proving to be even better than I once thought. As I've mentioned before, there are some who believe Nichuskin could wind up being the best player in this draft.

6 Sean MonahanCalgary Flames
TEAM: Ottawa (OHL)HT: 6-2WT: 186POS: C
Pick analysis: The Flames are in a state of flux and this draft is critical for the long-range plan of this team. After being sellers at the trade deadline and moving Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester, they'll have three first-round picks to address some of their needs. Size up front and a much-needed top-two line center is a good place to start. Monahan has the upside to be just that with an excellent combination of skill, size and skating. His offensive thinking meshes well with an overall understanding of how to play in all three zones. He has had moments this year when some complacency set into his game, but I believe that has more to do with his team situation and circumstance in junior hockey than it does with the player. He'll be lower on some boards, but I think he warrants an early selection.

7 Nikita Zadorov Edmonton Oilers
TEAM: London (OHL)HT: 6-5WT: 230POS: D
Pick analysis: The Oilers certainly have an abundance of talented forwards. Taylor Hall from the 2010 draft, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in 2011 and Nail Yakupov in 2012 were all selected No. 1 overall. The Oilers now need to get much tougher in the defensive zone, and Zadorov can certainly help in that area. His elite size is almost as impressive as his skating and strength. If his potential is met, I see an elite, shutdown defenseman who has better skills than he is being credited for by some hockey experts. He can play whatever game opponents challenge him with, which makes him extra valuable.

8 Elias Lindholm Buffalo Sabres
TEAM: Brynas (Sweden)HT: 5-11WT: 181POS: C
Pick analysis: After a disappointing season in which many pundits believed the Sabres would rise among the elite in the East, there appear to be holes in the lineup. Trading away captain Jason Pominville and acquiring an additional first-round pick has set the team up to answer a few problem areas on their roster. The center position is strong, with Cody Hodgson, Steve Ott, Tyler Ennis and 2012 first-round pick Mikhail Grigorenko, but Lindholm is an elite two-way player who I consider to be one of the most complete players I have seen in some time. I think he is too good to pass up on. It is never a bad idea to select assets who can play, and no doubt the Sabres will be looking to make changes. His excellent offensive hockey sense, combined with tenacious effort, makes him super-attractive at this point in the draft. Another possibility might be combining this pick with Minnesota's 17th overall pick to trade up, if there's an earlier target they covet.

9 Max Domi New Jersey Devils
TEAM: London (OHL)HT: 5-9WT: 193POS: C/LW
Pick analysis: At some point, the Devils must relinquish their first-round pick due to their salary-cap circumvention penalty, but I cannot believe the Devils will make this that year. Particularly when they can snag a player like Domi. Domi is an elite offensive forward whom the Devils will have no problem selecting regardless of his size. It is important to note how strong he is for his size and his ability to use his low center of gravity to his advantage when matched up against big, strong players. The power-play combination of Ilya Kovalchuk and Domi could be a thing of beauty.

10 Rasmus Ristolainen Dallas Stars
TEAM: TPS (Finland)HT: 6-3WT: 205POS: D
Pick analysis: With new GM Jim Nill -- formerly of the Red Wings' front office -- in place, anything is possible. This scouting staff has a very strong presence in Finland, and this big, gritty, two-way D-man would be an attractive building block for the franchise. The Stars have some talent on the blue line, but Ristolainen would likely be the best of the bunch. Not to mention young, puck-moving defensemen are great currency on the trade market. No such thing as too many. Ristolainen will make the Stars harder to play against. With a nasty streak to his game and excellent potential once his skating slightly improves, the Stars will have a cornerstone for a solid future.

11 Mirco Mueller Philadelphia Flyers
TEAM: Everett (WHL)HT: 6-3WT: 184POS: D
Pick analysis: The Flyers seem to always be addressing their goaltender needs and issues, but addressing immediate goaltending issues through the draft is ill advised, and the Flyers are aware there isn't a goaltender to be taken this high in the draft. But they can help out their current netminders, Ilya Bryzgalov and Steve Mason, some. A big, elite, smooth-skating D-man, Mueller has an excellent first pass that will help the Flyers get the puck out of their own end and to the firepower up front. I don't think Mueller really knows how good he can become, but over time I see him playing in the top-two parings. His transitional game, lateral mobility and puck-retrieving are all dimensional, and when he physically matures, he has a chance to be one of the top players out of this draft class. Added strength is needed, but that can be addressed easily enough at the pro level.

12 Curtis Lazar Phoenix Coyotes
TEAM: Edmonton (WHL)HT: 5-11WT: 193POS: C
Pick analysis: With everything in the desert up in the air, including GM Don Maloney's contract, it is hard to make predictions for the Coyotes. But there is one thing that is certain: It is hard to play in the fast-paced Western Conference. Lazar can fly up and down the ice and certainly has the jam to play in the NHL. The Coyotes could not pull it together this season, and perhaps all the distractions have caught up to them. But a speedy, gritty forward with a very good skill set will fit right in with the pieces already in place.

13 Ryan Pulock Winnipeg Jets
TEAM: Brandon (WHL)HT: 6-1WT: 210POS: D
Pick analysis: Already boasting some promise up front, the Jets could use another D-man to grow along with Jacob Trouba (1st, 2012), who has left the University of Michigan early to start his pro career. Pulock battled injuries this season, but he will not slide past this staff, which knows this team especially well due to its proximity to Winnipeg. His shot from the point is heavy, and on the power play he will become a serious threat for teams to have to defend. His overall strength and strength on the puck when defending are dimensional.

14 Alexander Wennberg Columbus Blue Jackets
TEAM: Djurgarden (Sweden)HT: 6-1WT: 174POS: C
Pick analysis: New GM Jarmo Kekalainen is certainly aware of the talent pool in Europe, and Wennberg is right at the top of that pool. Regardless of nationality, this Swedish forward has a chance to become an elite player in the NHL. Solid on the blue line already, and with Ryan Murray (No. 2 overall, 2012) poised to play next fall after recovering from a season-long injury, the Jackets have more needs at the forward position. Wennberg possesses sharp hockey sense and a skill set that project him as a top-two line center. Once he grows into his frame and gets stronger, his game will excel and he will be a strong complementary player with excellent playmaking abilities.

Socreges

Banned
Crazy to think that the Canucks have had just two top 10 picks since they drafted the Sedins. Both #10. One died (Bourdon) and the other... yeah.

I guess the Wings haven't had a top 10 pick in ages either.

Top Bottom