• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

Damn you're salty.

He'll play his ass off because he knows once he fucks up enough times Corey is going in.

No part of that was salty at all. Man that is just the stock reply now for people when ever they disagree with anything. It seems like almost everyone that covers hockey is picking the Devils for a down year, it isnt just me.

I like that "We replaced Kovy with 4 or 5 guys argument", 4 or 5 guys doing the work of 1 guy instead of Kovy doing the work and then the 4 or 5 guys doing whatever they are going to do on top of that.

Also, Schneider is the back up. Let's get that settled. Uncle Daddy's ego isn't going to settle for anything less.

Osorio

No part of that was salty at all. Man that is just the stock reply now for people when ever they disagree with anything. It seems like almost everyone that covers hockey is picking the Devils for a down year, it isnt just me.

You're the biggest Devils hater here, bar none.

You really expect Marty to get starts even if he's doing terribly? That's ridiculous. We gave up our #9 pick for a reason.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I like that "We replaced Kovy with 4 or 5 guys argument", 4 or 5 guys doing the work of 1 guy instead of Kovy doing the work and then the 4 or 5 guys doing whatever they are going to do on top of that.

Also, Schneider is the back up. Let's get that settled. Uncle Daddy's ego isn't going to settle for anything less.

You're the biggest Devils hater here, bar none.

You really expect Marty to get starts even if he's doing terribly? That's ridiculous. We gave up our #9 pick for a reason.

Schneider will be the starter by December latest. I'm willing to bet money on that.

Or at least help'll post better numbers that would justify him being the starter, not sure what coaching will do.

Also BS on Kessel.

Intent to injure slash by a star player, no injury: slap on the wrist

Accidental stick to the jaw by minor player, injury: 5 regular season games.

Good fucking job nhl. So players will keep doing shitty things as long as they're star players and/or as long as no injuries happen, while even accidental impact gets punished severely.

I'd be okay with Kassian getting 5 games, but only if the league had the intelligence to judge the rest accordingly, too.

Smiley90

Lmao what a joke, especially after what they gave Kassian. At least the NHL is consistent in being completely useless in how they handle discipline.

It's Shea Weber face smash time all over again. That judgement still tops the "rofl nhl" list of fucked up calls for me.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lmao what a joke, especially after what they gave Kassian. At least the NHL is consistent in being completely useless in how they handle discipline.

Because a self defensive slash and another slash that didn't come into contact with anyone is equally comparable to Kassian almost successfully one handing gagner's head into the upper deck?

Smiley90

Because a self defensive slash and another slash that didn't come into contact with anyone is equally comparable to Kassian almost successfully one handing gagner's head into the upper deck?

Inb4 "slashes are illegal, unless you are a smaller player and are challenged to a fight and scared".

Montreal can now slash anyone they want in defense! Yay!

Delryk

More like a poke. Lol ;)

Seems like a blessing me than anything else for Kessel "good, i dont have to play these useless preseason games!".. lol

Silexx

If by spear you mean he nudged Scott

I'll just assume you've been watching hockey for 3 years and haven't witnessed a real spear

I guess if I had a point to make here would be that you can't necessarily compare Kessel and Kassian since Kessel was pegged more for an accumulation of infractions rather than a singular incident.

However, I am mostly indifferent to the suspension here. I may have figured at least one regular season suspension could be warranted, but it's not a deal-breaker here. I'm not seeing some major injustice with the sentence here.

Smiley90

If by spear you mean he nudged Scott

I'll just assume you've been watching hockey for 3 years and haven't witnessed a real spear

Let's play a little what if game:

Star player slashes, no injury: 0 games suspension
Star player slashes, injury: ??? Games suspension
Unknown player slashes, no injury: ??? Games suspension
Unknown player slashes, injury: ??? Games suspension

If you think the answer to this is 0 in every case, you're the one that hasn't watched hockey for long. And the fact that these numbers would all be unequal is stupid. I'm okay with injuring incidents being punished more severely, I'm not okay with intentional but luckily non-injuring incidents going unpunished.

Accidental/careless, no injury = no suspension
Accidental/careless, injury = small suspension
Intentional, no injury: medium suspension
Intentional, injury = huge suspension

Would be best. Will never happen. Also get rid of the stupid star player preferential treatment.

Fei

Because a self defensive slash and another slash that didn't come into contact with anyone

That part is wrong. Scott said as much.

The ridiculous part is Rolston got fined for "player selection" when he didn't have the last change. Is a coach not allowed to put on the ice the line he wants now?

Smiley90

The ridiculous part is Rolston got fined for "player selection" when he didn't have the last change. Is a coach not allowed to put on the ice the line he wants now?

Wait, this actually happened? ROFL. Oh NHL.

DopeyFish

Scott also says kessel agreed to fight and that its carlyles fault he attacked kessel

So take anything he says with a huge grain of salt and there's quite a lot available right now,..

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Glad to see so many new hockey fans in this thread this year.

Yes, coaches can be fined for putting goons on the ice at heated moments during the game. Its happened before and will happen again. The NHL does not like escalating these situations, and Scott was out there for no other reason.

And yes, you do get a bigger penalty for any injury to the head area. It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. The NHL has a zero tolerance penalty for head injuries. This has only been the most talked about thing in the sport for the last 10 years.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you guys with.

DopeyFish

Carlyle is the dumbest person in this whole situation. That much is clear.

For putting out kessel? You can't be that daft, can you?

The difference between this game and every other game was John Scott was a piece of shit, not because Carlyle put out kessel. Because putting 1st on 4 happens ALL THE TIME

Heretic

The difference between this game and every other game was John Scott was a piece of shit, not because Carlyle put out kessel. Because putting 1st on 4 happens ALL THE TIME

Why would a coach put his best line against the opponents team's worst line!?

Fei

Glad to see so many new hockey fans in this thread this year.

Yes, coaches can be fined for putting goons on the ice at heated moments during the game. Its happened before and will happen again. The NHL does not like escalating these situations, and Scott was out there for no other reason.

I'm sure you already know this (because, what don't you know?), but Scott wasn't "put" on the ice after the Tropp fight. He was already on the ice the previous shift. He wasn't put out there to beat up Kessel. The Scott line stayed on the ice. Carlyle put Kessel's line out seeing what line the Sabres on the ice.

Samyy

JVR-Bozak-Clarkson
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Ashton-Colborne-Bodie
Broll-McClement-Devane

Lines for the game, D pairing is as I mentioned before.

Fei

Are you ignoring all the context? Scott was yelling at the whole Leafs bench after the Tropp fight. Scott stays on the ice and Carlyle has no idea what might happen? Seriously?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I'm sure you already know this (because, what don't you know?), but Scott wasn't "put" on the ice after the Tropp fight. He was already on the ice the previous shift. He wasn't put out there to beat up Kessel. The Scott line stayed on the ice. Carlyle put Kessel's line out seeing what line the Sabres on the ice.

Thanks champ, but I'm way ahead of you. Rolston had a line change. He did not use it because he wanted his team to respond. There is no other reason for Scott to be out there - the man is not a hockey player.

It doesn't matter who was out there for the Leafs. Scott was out there to go after anyone and it wouldn't have mattered who Carlyle put out there, because Scott went after Phil freaking Kessel. Thats why Rolston was fined.

Are you ignoring all the context? Scott was yelling at the whole Leafs bench after the Tropp fight. Scott stays on the ice and Carlyle has no idea what might happen? Seriously?

Yes, because putting out a guy who has fought once in his entire NHL career is a move that would usually defuse the situation. Which is why Rolston will be fined and Carlyle will not.

Unfortunately, Scott was bonkers and it didn't work.

Smiley90

I love how it's only the preseason and Forza's already posting like a belittling tool.

This season should be fun.

When's the league going to decide for/against hybrid icing for the regular season? That's just on trial during preseason, right?

I'm pretty sure Heretic was being sarcastic, Forza.

Fei

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Scott went after Phil freaking Kessel. Thats why Rolston was fined.

Hey, now you get it! Rolston was fined because Scott went after Kessel. Not because he started a fight.

DopeyFish

thats sounding a lot like it's rolston's fault now.

its not the leafs obligation to satisfy john scott. Leafs as a hockey team outclass the sabres in every respect including fighting.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Hey, now you get it! Rolston was fined because Scott went after Kessel. Not because he started a fight.

This is the dumbest attempt to focus on semantics I've ever seen, since there's no fucking difference between the two.

Scott was out there to start shit. The fact that he went after Kessel of all people showed that he was there for no other reason than to start shit.

Smiley90

This is the dumbest attempt to focus on semantics I've ever seen, since there's no fucking difference between the two.

Roost on wouldn't have gotten fined if Carlyle put an enforcer line out there himself to let Buffalo defend itself/let Scott fight. Because Carlyle didn't and Scott tried to fight anyway, Rolston got fined. Not because he started a fight. Because he started a fight with someone the league determined to be a non-fighter. And that's not the league's job to do, that's the coaches job.

So yes, there IS a distinction here, and it's not just semantics.

Yes, Scott was out there to fight. It's his job to defend his teammate who, so Scott thought, was involved in an unprovoked fight himself. (Scott's words that the Devane fight was unprovoked, regardless of whether it actually was or not)

Top Bottom