• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

God dammit, why are all the exciting Ducks prospects puck-moving D and a stud goalie? Now we won't have any offensive prospects in the preseason to look forward to.

Bones, Etem and Palmieri are gonna be next-level (touches a giant wooden table that has 'sophomore slump' carved into it) but that's more "regular season" excitement than anything.

calder

Court takes Kane's pay for fines

Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has suffered his first hit of the upcoming hockey season -- a court order garnishing his wages for refusing to pay a pair of outstanding traffic tickets.

The Manitoba government took the unusual step of filing a Court of Queen's Bench motion in an attempt to recoup $650.80 in fines and costs from Kane, a budding NHL superstar who signed a six-year, $31.5-million contract earlier this summer.

Court documents obtained by the Free Press show Kane, 22, was charged under the Highway Traffic Act on June 4, 2012, for "using a hand-operated electronic device while driving a motor vehicle." But the $249.80 ticket went unpaid, leading Manitoba Public Insurance to place a hold on his licence along with a $40 surcharge.

Kane was stopped again by police last Oct. 18 and charged with driving without a valid licence under the HTA. The fine for that offence was $311.

The province appeared in court on their motion last Thursday and won a default judgment against Kane for all the outstanding monies, plus $50 in costs.

That means neither Kane nor a lawyer appeared on his behalf.

The garnishment order was made in the name of the Winnipeg Jets hockey club, according to court documents.

Typically, applications for garnishment are only made in cases where all attempts to contact the party and have them make payment have failed.

Scott Brown, the senior director of corporate communications for the Jets, told the Free Press Wednesday they first became aware of the court order earlier in the day.

"The issue has been dealt with. From my understanding it's paid and done with," Brown said from New York, where he is attending NHL meetings with other team executives.

Kane's agent, Craig Oster, did not return messages seeking comment about why his client would have allowed these tickets to lapse to the point where the government was forced to take legal action against him.

Kane returned to Winnipeg earlier this week to get ready for the team's upcoming training camp.

He met with the media on Tuesday and promised big things, saying he's nearly fully recovered from off-season foot surgery and a nagging wrist injury.

Kane is also hoping to make a big splash and perhaps crack the lineup of Team Canada for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

*heavy sigh*

But seriously Kane you're young and kind of an idiot which isn't a huge shock. But get a better agent, or if your agent isn't a total hump (hard to believe based on stuff like this) then you need to TELL YOUR AGENT when little "real life" stuff like this happens if you're too lazy/busy/dumb to take care of it on your own.

yyzjohn

Banned
So Burke has been GM in Vancouver, Toronto and now front office for Calgary. I see this west-east flow, next up he goes to Ottawa or Montreal, then back again to Edmonton or Winnipeg...

yyzjohn

Banned
I love how Burke said he's never gone to the media looking to speak out it's always them calling him. OK Burke, did the media call that press conference to talk about demoting Colton fucking Orr to the minors?

Detroit Red Wings eager to see Daniel Cleary, who might go to camp on tryout

kGwc9.jpg

WE HAVE ZERO ROOM!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, are over the cap and player limit as it is right now, don't tell me we are going to destroy what could be an amazing roster with a great mix of youth and vets because Cleary has to be on the team... AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Detroit Red Wings eager to see Daniel Cleary, who might go to camp on tryout

kGwc9.jpg

WE HAVE ZERO ROOM!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, are over the cap and player limit as it is right now, don't tell me we are going to destroy what could be an amazing roster with a great mix of youth and vets because Cleary has to be on the team... AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He should've taken the hint when Alfie showed up with that #11 on his jersey. Fuck you Cleary, go away!

Side note, Andersson switched from 63 to 18 for whatever reason.

NHL-GAF, today I was actually nice to a Canucks fan wearing a Western Conference Champions hat.

It's okay though because I was wearing my Stanley Cup Champions shirt.

Moral of the story: eat shit, Nucks-GAF.

CCF23

NHL-GAF, today I was actually nice to a Canucks fan wearing a Western Conference Champions hat.

It's okay though because I was wearing my Stanley Cup Champions shirt.

Moral of the story: eat shit, Nucks-GAF.

Don't be nice to people wearing WC Champions hats. Fuck those people.

Top Bottom