• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Merguson

Banned
You're the only guy who thinks he was talking about Franson.

Whatever the case, he still shouldn't be singling out 1 player when it was a total team collapse, and the coach had a lot of the blame as well.

Like I've said, Gardiner was #2 in total ice-time on the Leafs. Ranked #1 in even-strength minutes. If that's a guy a coach really dislikes, I don't know what to say.

I'm definitely not the only guy that thinks it could be Franson.

Secondly, it seems people can't even agree on what Carlyle actually said. So I'm not going to even bother to even continue with this.

Like I've said, Gardiner was #2 in total ice-time on the Leafs. Ranked #1 in even-strength minutes. If that's a guy a coach really dislikes, I don't know what to say.

Secondly, it seems people can't even agree on what Carlyle actually said. So I'm not going to even bother to even continue with this.

You won't be able to use logic to get someone out of a position they didn't use logic to get themselves into in the first place. He's mad, and he has every right to be, but he's just looking for a target.

yyzjohn

Banned

I don't know if anyone has ever referred to Franson as a "rover-type defenseman". That's Gardiner, he's the only guy he would have been talking about as I assume he wouldn't be throwing Rielly under the bus who could also fit into that category. Franson isn't a "rover", he just makes shit defensive plays and takes the quick slapper from the point. I don't remember the last time I saw Franson up around the opposition net which would put him into the "rover" category.

Cake Boss

Banned
Owner is doing exit interviews. The general manager is scratching players (okay "player"). The players think the coach is too mean.

Senators Hockey!!

Owner is doing exit interviews. The general manager is scratching players (okay "player"). The players think the coach is too mean.

Senators Hockey!!

Life of a Sens fan, the few, the proud.

I'll still take that over being a Leafs fan any day of the week.

@HockeyScanner Was Murray who kept Kassian out vs Leafs. Nonis didn't want Leafs taken advantage of. Kassian not part of Sens future.

LOL

Nonis pls

Cake Boss

Banned
The only good comments about today is Kassian not being in our plans and this

Murray on Curtis Lazar: "He looks like a ready-made NHLer."

We probably shouldn't pay too much attention to what a crap coach on the brink has to say at this point.

Unless he's kept on. Then we're all farked.

Sigh - nothing like a dose of Carlyle today to erase the optimism of yesterday.

yyzjohn

Banned
We probably shouldn't pay too much attention to what a crap coach on the brink has to say at this point.

Unless he's kept on. Then we're all farked.

Sigh - nothing like a dose of Carlyle today to erase the optimism of yesterday.

Thanks for the dose of reality man. Fucking snow outside and then hearing Carlyle almost pushed me over the edge.

Breathe in....breathe out.....

But Hemsky is gone too :(

I don't think I want anyone to stay on my team if them staying depends on Giggles staying. Not the kind of player you want on your team.

I bet we'll trade for Stewart in the offseason. Plus we got Stone and Lazar coming up.

Spezza for Clarkson. You guys have the cap room AND you're saving on the cap by taking Clarkson. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

66pt forward for an 11pt forward.... hmmm.

Craig Button accidentally brought up a scenario we could see: Package deal with Clarkson and the 1st.

However... I think it's too early for that; Clarkson can improve. Better to find a team to take Gleason.

I don't think he can quite honestly, unless you saddle him with Kadri and give him pp time.

There's no sense in trying to trade him when his stock is at an all time low. If we can get two good years out of him hopefully someone will take him if we hold back a million or two of his salary.

Edit: I mean good by the standard of 3-4 million per year. The 5 million boat has long since sailed.

Fei

Craig Button accidentally brought up a scenario we could see: Package deal with Clarkson and the 1st.

However... I think it's too early for that; Clarkson can improve. Better to find a team to take Gleason.

This is what we said about Ville Leino. Murray all but confirmed Leino will be bought out this year, so hooray for that.

gaming_noob

If the Leafs cannot get a higher draft pick then packaging the 8th overall pick with 6 more years of Clarkson would be fine with me. But damn if it doesn't feel like a sideways move here.. they can't seem to get anywhere.

Socreges

Banned

How much would he need to improve to merit that contract? Or at least make it not such a disastrous clusterfuck? I don't think he's got that potential.

That said, losing a top ten pick as the alternative? Not sure it's worth discussing anyhow; I can't see that possibly happening.

Samyy

How much would he need to improve to merit that contract? Or at least make it not such a disastrous clusterfuck? I don't think he's got that potential.

That said, losing a top ten pick as the alternative? Not sure it's worth discussing anyhow; I can't see that possibly happening.

30 points a season would be a miracle :/ I think its as much as we can hope for.
I think the contract can be bought out after 3-4 years.

Its stupid to get rid of the pick though I agree, how many top 10 picks are we going to have (yes I know >.<) why waste it. Same with Kadri. Not willing to do that unless we're in the position to acquire or sign a top centre or defence men.

yyzjohn

Banned
If the Leafs cannot get a higher draft pick then packaging the 8th overall pick with 6 more years of Clarkson would be fine with me. But damn if it doesn't feel like a sideways move here.. they can't seem to get anywhere.

They won't deal Clarkson with Nonis in the fold. That would mean Nonis would have to admit he made the worst free agent signing in history.

It would be stupid to deal him right now anyways, considering his value is at an all time low. Even if we did have that money, who would we sign with it?

Better be 50% retained too. The term is still a killer. No one wants him now, just think in 3 years when he even more battered and bruised.

calder

Jets will draft either 1st (dare to dream), 9th or 10th, so naturally I'm scanning the TSN prospect rankings. Yeah yeah they have Craig Button's name attached to them and that's a serious negative considering his body of work with the Flames, but it's a lot easier than trying to mentally collate CS rankings or parse ISS scores. ISS and TSN both have Reinhart back at #1 this month, interestingly. If the Jets pull a horseshoe out of their asses and win the lottery I don't even know who I'd prefer, would definitely be Ekblad if he wasn't a righty though.

In the 10th ranking I see Haydn Fleury, a dman (good) with good size (even better) who shoots left (huge need for the Jets). And just like that, I'm ready to fall in love. Which means the Jets will reach on some guy ranked in latter second round or something but whatever.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
THe worst part about Clarkson's contract is everyone not named Simmons or Nonis thought it was an awful idea.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
THe worst part about Clarkson's contract is everyone not named Simmons or Nonis thought it was an awful idea.

Bryan Murray didn't think it was an awful idea, he even offered a $100k more than the Leafs -_-

I don't want either of them :lol Clarkson just seems like he never has any idea what he's doing.

True 'dat, he's had a shit year, but it's not like the Leafs are the first team to ever hand out a bad contract, or other teams weren't willing to offer exactly that same contract.

Please go back to the playoffs thread and leave us here alone in our misery.

Red_Man loves him some Leafs talk.

Fei

The worst part of the Gomez contract was that they didn't sign it, but actually traded for it. It means they got the cap hit and lost McDonagh. And this was after a year of seeing Gomez suck with that contract.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Red_Man loves him some Leafs talk.
All my friends, and a lot of my family are Leaf fans, so I'm always surrounded by it and have to hear and talk about it. That's why I watch so many games, and keep up with them.

The worst part of the Gomez contract was that they didn't sign it, but actually traded for it. It means they got the cap hit and lost McDonagh. And this was after a year of seeing Gomez suck with that contract.
If we never brought this up again until I die that would be great.

All my friends, and a lot of my family are Leaf fans, so I'm always surrounded by it and have to hear and talk about it. That's why I watch so many games, and keep up with them.

Hey, it wasn't a criticism. You're in there like a dirty shirt!

And that's why I have hope that somebody will take Clarkson off our hands.

yyzjohn

Banned

You've got a good set of friends and family buddy. You should listen to them more often.

Jets will draft either 1st (dare to dream), 9th or 10th, so naturally I'm scanning the TSN prospect rankings. Yeah yeah they have Craig Button's name attached to them and that's a serious negative considering his body of work with the Flames, but it's a lot easier than trying to mentally collate CS rankings or parse ISS scores. ISS and TSN both have Reinhart back at #1 this month, interestingly. If the Jets pull a horseshoe out of their asses and win the lottery I don't even know who I'd prefer, would definitely be Ekblad if he wasn't a righty though.

In the 10th ranking I see Haydn Fleury, a dman (good) with good size (even better) who shoots left (huge need for the Jets). And just like that, I'm ready to fall in love. Which means the Jets will reach on some guy ranked in latter second round or something but whatever.

Drafting Trouba and Schieffle would say otherwise ;)

Curufinwe

If you need a decent LHD with size for the next two years I think Grossmann will be available for cheap now that the Flyers have Coburn, Streit, MacDonald, LSchenn and him under contract for next season.

Top Bottom