• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Samyy

If there's actually nothing they could say to please you, why bother? It seems like you spend a lot of your energy raging at this team.

Yea I'll just stop being a fan because thats something I can do, I can't help it.
I love hockey, I love the Leafs and as silly as it might seem to you I can't help it.

Merguson

Banned
Sounded like he was throwing Gardiner under the bus there talking about a young offensive defenseman who early on didn't think he had a long leash but later found out he had. Gardiner picked up his game later in the season so he has to be talking about him. Carlyle also said he was shocked who he compared himself to in the league.

He probably compared himself to Duncan Keith.

yyzjohn

Banned
He probably compared himself to Duncan Keith.

Cheap shot by Carlyle if you ask me. He was obviously talking about Gardiner and suggesting he's a bit delusional, should Jake come out and rip some of Carlyle's coaching decisions?

"Hey, how many times did we have an offensive zone faceoff and Carlyle trots out McClement's line? Yeah that'll get you some offensive zone chances!"

Well don't worry, the Leafs are just one part of my life, the others are not that bad haha.

Haha no worries, I'm angry too but it's more of an impotent rage.

Cheap shot by Carlyle if you ask me. He was obviously talking about Gardiner and suggesting he's a bit delusional, should Jake come out and rip some of Carlyle's coaching decisions?

"Hey, how many times did we have an offensive zone faceoff and Carlyle trots out McClement's line? Yeah that'll get you some offensive zone chances!"

Well the difference there is that Carlyle is supposed to be coaching Gardiner.

Curufinwe

Flyers Ink Gostisbehere to an entry-level contract

2014 National Champion to report to Adirondack Phantoms

Tuesday, 04.15.2014 / 12:59 PM / News

Philadelphia Flyers

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have signed 2012 Draft Pick, defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere to an entry-level contract, according to general manager Paul Holmgren. He will report to the club's AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, for the remainder of the season.

Gostisbehere was selected in the third round (78th overall) by the Flyers in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Gostisbehere is fresh off winning the NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament with Union College, held at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia this past weekend. He led Union with a goal and two assists to go along with a plus-minus rating of +7 in the Championship game, a 7-4 win over Minnesota.

Over the course of three years at Union, Gostisbehere recorded 22 goals and 60 assists for 82 points in 118 games.

yyzjohn

Banned

I don't get the cheap shot though. Gardiner ended up being one of, if not the best defenseman the Leafs had down the stretch. To single him out makes no sense. Gardiner improved from the start and ended up picking up a lot of points down the stretch, he wasn't the problem this team imploded.

I don't get the cheap shot though. Gardiner ended up being one of, if not the best defenseman the Leafs had down the stretch. To single him out makes no sense. Gardiner improved from the start and ended up picking up a lot of points down the stretch, he wasn't the problem this team imploded.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's great but that doesn't mean he can do no wrong. If he's walking around with an inflated ego thinking he's Letang or Keith then he's got another thing coming. I agree that this shit should stay out of the public eye though.

Are we sure he's talking about Gards? Could have been Franson?

Samyy

Well yea, see I got into the Leafs right after the lockout, before I was really too young to pay attention, follow along too much. Ever since then its been mediocrity, excuses, bad trades, signings, etc. the random firing of Burke for political reasons, and all this recent shit. Snapped me beyond the point of impotent rage. I haven't had much to be happy about with regards to the team.

Not a lot to be happy about lately and its just been sorta piling up and up. It also stings because really last year was a lot of fun before the collapse.

Well yea, see I got into the Leafs right after the lockout, before I was really too young to pay attention, follow along too much. Ever since then its been mediocrity, excuses, bad trades, signings, etc. the random firing of Burke for political reasons, and all this recent shit.

Not a lot to be happy about lately and its just been sorta piling up and up. It also stings because really last year was a lot of fun before the collapse.

At least we're not trading away draft picks anymore. We've got that going for us, which is nice.

yyzjohn

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I think he's great but that doesn't mean he can do no wrong. If he's walking around with an inflated ego thinking he's Letang or Keith then he's got another thing coming. I agree that this shit should stay out of the public eye though.

Are we sure he's talking about Gards? Could have been Franson?

Pretty sure it was Gardiner given their past history.

Inflated ego or not, he was still the best d-man down the stretch for Carlyle, to throw him under the bus makes no sense.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So a one year span is now a historic trend? :p

Yeah, if Spezza leaves and they name Phillips captain, he's gonna be captain for the full two years of his contract, and there's no chance he will ever be a healthy scratch or is getting traded during those two years.

It's pretty much a nightmare scenario.

Well it's better than Captain Giggleputz.

Definitely not.

Samyy

At least we're not trading away draft picks anymore. We've got that going for us, which is nice.

We don't have a 2nd in this draft or next years I believe. :/
I mean I don't know. I can't say if Bolland was worth those three picks.
Holland was this years second I guess works.
I dunno.

Merguson

Banned

Inflated ego or not, he was still the best d-man down the stretch for Carlyle, to throw him under the bus makes no sense.

When did he throw him under the bus?

I thought he said that the young defenseman thought he had a short leash which he really didn't.

Did I miss something?

lol get in line.

Philips is high-end.

Phaneuf is their man.

Start the rebuild.

Sure, but he was shit for half the season too. He didn't mention by name, and is he supposed to completely leave the players out of the "what the hell happened" discussion?

We don't have a 2nd in this draft or next years I believe. :/
I mean I don't know. I can't say if Bolland was worth those three picks.
Holland was this years second I guess works.
I dunno.

You haven't been a leafs fan long enough if you don't see keeping firsts regularly as a revolutionary change ;)

yyzjohn

Banned
Sure, but he was shit for half the season too. He didn't mention by name, and is he supposed to completely leave the players out of the "what the hell happened" discussion?

Says who? He wasn't lighting it up offensively for half a season but he wasn't "shit". You can pin that on Franson/Ranger if you want to single out shit defensively d-men.

Also, which defenseman was the WORST down the stretch? Dion -- does he get a mention? Apparently he's the golden boy for Carlyle.

Gardiner improved as the season went on, and was the best overall defenseman for the Leafs in the last 20+ games and THIS is the guy Carlyle singles out?

Says who? He wasn't lighting it up offensively for half a season but he wasn't "shit". You can pin that on Franson/Ranger if you want to single out shit defensively d-men.

Also, which defenseman was the WORST down the stretch? Dion -- does he get a mention? Apparently he's the golden boy for Carlyle.

Gardiner improved as the season went on, and was the best overall defenseman for the Leafs in the last 20+ games and THIS is the guy Carlyle singles out?

Dude, you're tilting at windmills.

yyzjohn

Banned
Dude, you're tilting at windmills.

Whatever, it just highlites how stupid and out of touch Carlyle really is. Gardiner was one of the best possession guys on the team, but apparently he was a major problem why this team collapsed because he's the only guy that Carlyle specifically referred to. Fire this idiot.

Cake Boss

Banned
Murray presser next, if he says that he is fine with our defense and doesnt need to change I will personally buy a Clarkson jersey and take a shit on my Karlsson one.

Whatever, it just highlites how stupid and out of touch Carlyle really is. Gardiner was one of the best possession guys on the team, but apparently he was a major problem why this team collapsed because he's the only guy that Carlyle specifically referred to. Fire this idiot.

You're taking a comment that's ambiguous at best, inserting your own narrative and then raging over it. Step away from the ledge.

yyzjohn

Banned
You're taking a comment that's ambiguous at best, inserting your own narrative and then raging over it. Step away from the ledge.

Ambiguous how? He described the way Gardiner plays so that everyone in the room knew who he was referring to. Then he mentions a conversation he had with him in private that should have never been revealed. It was a stupid shot by Carlyle.

Ambiguous how? He described the way Gardiner plays so that everyone in the room knew who he was referring to. Then he mentions a conversation he had with him in private that should have never been revealed. It was a stupid shot by Carlyle.

So you want him to stand up and give answers, just not ones you don't like?

It's ambiguous because all he said was that he earned more trust by the end of the year, and the player he was comparing himself to was interesting. People have been thrown under bigger buses by far.

Merguson

Banned
Did Carlyle say the leash was shorter at the end of the season?

Then it wouldn't make sense for it to be Gardiner because he had more minutes as the season went on.

I remember him being 4th in total ice-time then 2nd in ice-time for defensemen, in fact, the entire team. #1 in even-strength minutes on the team.

Sounds like Franson to me.

Silexx

Murray laying it all down as usual right now. Couple of truth bombs already.

Edit: uh oh, Cake Boss may want to start heading to the Leafs store soon...

Another bigger forward for Murray :LOL

AQlXoK6.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
Steve Lloyd ‏@TSNSteveLloyd 49s
Murray: "We need another harder forward for sure"

ifMGrUIM07198.gif

SensChirp ‏@SensChirp 24s
Murray, "We need another hard forward." Sounds comfortable with the defence going forward

ibbzR9xxVnBMzv.gif

FUCK THIS FUCKING CUNT ASS ORGANIZATION. PIECES OF CUNTS ALL OF THEM

I'm really not as down on Methot and Cowen ad you guys are. They may have had a bad year, but it's not like it's outside of their abilities to bounce back.

I'm not down on him as much I don't want him to pay him McDonald money+ when his current contract is up. He's fine at his current $ level but not much more.

Paulrus was too hard on the players according to Murray.

Sens players: "We like the team like a country club."

yyzjohn

Banned
Did Carlyle say the leash was shorter at the end of the season?

Then it wouldn't make sense for it to be Gardiner because he had more minutes as the season went on.

I remember him being 4th in total ice-time then 2nd in ice-time for defensemen, in fact, the entire team. #1 in even-strength minutes on the team.

Sounds like Franson to me.

You're the only guy who thinks he was talking about Franson.

Whatever the case, he still shouldn't be singling out 1 player when it was a total team collapse, and the coach had a lot of the blame as well.

Top Bottom