• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Socreges

Banned
Is Grabo worth $5.25m per or whatever it was he was making? Some people weren't happy with the buyout but it did seem like a bad contract

Curufinwe

Not compared to the one they gave Clarkson.

Not sure if you're serious or not about letting kids stay in the AHL too long, but Nyquist is 24. People forget that and think he's just a kid from the AHL tearing it up, but he's the same age as JVR.

And Voracek.

Samyy

Is Grabo worth $5.25m per or whatever it was he was making? Some people weren't happy with the buyout but it did seem like a bad contract

He had 3 great seasons and then one meh season, so he is shit according to people in Toronto.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
And Voracek.
Yea, I'm not trying to take away from what he's doing, it's amazing, but at the same time it's not like he's a 20 year old rookie. There's a lot of guys his age who have already spent multiple seasons in the NHL.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Leivo is quite a bit ahead of Brown development wise. His strengths transfer over to the NHL better. I have no idea what Brown is going to be at the pro level. He has a lot of talent and character. There was a leaf video which showed him in Erie when he signed his contract and the different people talked about him. There are not many players with his kind of determination. I think he will find a way to make it to the NHL one day.
Heh I like how you didn't mention with us...

Sigh... :(

Merguson

Banned

Carlyle seemed to prefer Bozak and Kadri over Grabovski thus slotting Grabovski in the 3rd line role where he wouldn't ever put up the points to justify the contract.

This probably would have continued this season as well. I think he was on the outs as soon as Burke left. Supposedly the Leafs were offered a 1st for Grabovski, Nonis wanted to take it, Burke decided the contract was the route to go.

Clearly that was the wrong choice. Leafs end up with nothing.

yyzjohn

Banned

His cap hit was $5.5M, he could be a good 2nd line center on a lot of teams, but since Kadri played so well in the short season the team Kadri could be 2nd line center for cheaper than Grabovski. Kadri's just about to put up 50 points in his first full 82 game season so they're weren't wrong on that I don't think.

Grabovski is a competitor, he's a bit of a hothead, when he's on his game he can be really good, but then other times you don't notice him. Don't think he was worth that contract, he's probably a great fit in the $4M range if someone can sign him to that.

Samyy

His cap hit was $5.5M, he could be a good 2nd line center on a lot of teams, but since Kadri played so well in the short season the team Kadri could be 2nd line center for cheaper than Grabovski. Kadri's just about to put up 50 points in his first full 82 game season so they're weren't wrong on that I don't think.

Grabovski is a competitor, he's a bit of a hothead, when he's on his game he can be really good, but then other times you don't notice him. Don't think he was worth that contract, he's probably a great fit in the $4M range if someone can sign him to that.

Too bad Kadri is going to get traded :(
We will sign Bolland to be out 2nd line centre for 5 million dollars! He's only ever got more then 40 points once, five years ago, so he will be a great fit with David Clarkson!

Merguson

Banned
...this fucking team, man

I had to go look and see if that was correct. It looks like it was actually a 2nd and a prospect. Some thought that could have been turned into a 1st. (Burke claimed he had 1st round picks offers for his players).

Either way, I do remember something about Nonis preferring a trade.

yyzjohn

Banned
Too bad Kadri is going to get traded :(
We will sign Bolland to be out 2nd line centre for 5 million dollars! He's only ever got more then 40 points once, five years ago, so he will be a great fit with David Clarkson!

Hope not, the thing with Kadri is he's still young and finding his way. Will turn 24 next season so he still has time to improve his overall game. With Grabovski already 30 and turning 31 next season, you know what he is already. He probably won't suddenly change from a 50 point guy to a 75 point guy. So when it became a choice between Grabovski or Kadri it was fairly simple to go with the younger guy. I hope they don't suddenly turn around and trade Kadri now. First time in a long time Leafs have their own draft pick and develop him into an NHL player.

Bolland is great as a 3rd line center, but he wants the big paycheck, so hopefully Leafs let him walk. They already have enough bad contracts.

yyzjohn

Banned
I had to go look and see if that was correct. It looks like it was actually a 2nd and a prospect. Some thought that could have been turned into a 1st. (Burke claimed he had 1st round picks offers for his players).

Either way, I do remember something about Nonis preferring a trade.

Burke says a lot of shit. He claimed he could have gotten first rounders for Reimer, Grabovski etc. He also claimed he could move up in the draft and take Tavares if he really wanted to. I wouldn't trust anything Burke says.

Samyy

Bolland is great as a 3rd line center, but he wants the big paycheck, so hopefully Leafs let him walk. They already have enough bad contracts.

How is Bolland different from Clarkson, they've proved they think 3rd liners are 30million dollar guys, I don't trust them one fucking bit.

yyzjohn

Banned
How is Bolland different from Clarkson, they've proved they think 3rd liners are 30million dollar guys, I don't trust them one fucking bit.

I think they were hoping Clarkson would fit on the 2nd line, if he did then he would have been worth $5M.

Samyy

I think they were hoping Clarkson would fit on the 2nd line, if he did then he would have been worth $5M.

I don't care what your "designated" position is, if you can't put up more then 40 points your not a second liner. Clarkson would have never been a 2nd liner on this team, and therefore not worth 5.25 million dollars. People shouldn't be getting paid based on where you expect them to play, but their actual skill level.

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't care what your "designated" position is, if you can't put up more then 40 points your not a second liner. Clarkson would have never been a 2nd liner on this team, and therefore not worth 5.25 million dollars. People shouldn't be getting paid based on where you expect them to play, but their actual skill level.

I got nothing. Despite my avatar i'm not Nonis. :-/

calder

lotteryoddsz4u5c.png

Dare to dream, guys.

Canuck fans, how good/bad is Luongo when coming back from injury? Debating whether to start him tonight, Calgary has been scoring quite a few goals lately too.

calder

Heh, I left out some painful footnotes with that draft lottery screenshot.

% Of Winning - represents the chance the team had of winning the draft lottery.

* - The New York Islanders must surrender either their 2014 or 2015 first-round draft pick to the Buffalo Sabres as part of the trade that sent Thomas Vanek to New York. The Islanders decide which pick to surrender prior to the 2014 NHL Draft.

** - The Senators' first-round pick is property of the Anaheim Ducks, who acquired it in a trade for Bobby Ryan to Ottawa.

*** - The New Jersey Devils will receive the 30th overall pick regardless of their final standing as penalty for cap circumvention in signing Ilya Kovalchuk.

ooof.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Heh, I left out some painful footnotes with that draft lottery screenshot.

ooof.jpg
Knowing the baffling arrogance of the Islanders organization, they'll probably hold onto their 2014 pick.

And the Devils... they could have given up their 29th overall pick 2 years ago, right? Instead.... yeah.

And lol Sens. They never imagined that pick would end up being so high.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Right. I guess they'd always intended to appeal the decision. Still stupid, though.
Agreed, I'm just assuming they knew in some way that they would keep it. The only explanation for why they held onto it, Lamoriello is one of the smarter guys in hockey, I don't think he's really that dumb.

Fei

It will be hilarious if the Isles win the lottery. I think I'm actively rooting for that scenario.

Only one more loss to clinch last place!

zroid

Banned
It will be hilarious if the Isles win the lottery. I think I'm actively rooting for that scenario.

Only one more loss to clinch last place!

They'll certainly keep it and give the Sabres the 2015 pick if they won the lottery though, lol

Fei

They'll certainly keep it and give the Sabres the 2015 pick if they won the lottery though, lol

That's absolute best case, and would pretty much make it the worst trade of all-time.

It's been such a shitty year here. Daydreaming about these situations might be the best part of the season.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bout this Joshua Ho-Sang kid? Gilmour really talked him up. Maybe we'll pick him if some others are not available? Plays RW/C so that could work for us.

Bout this Joshua Ho-Sang kid? Gilmour really talked him up. Maybe we'll pick him if some others are not available? Plays RW/C so that could work for us.

He's a boom or bust guy.

Hope the Caps keep losing and get into the top 6, win the lottery and draft Ekblaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Spl1nter

Kadri 2.0

Heard he doesnt play the white right way.

I would be down for Ho-Sang. While very highly skilled he still goes to the center of the ice and the net hard. He was in very high regard 2 years ago but fell. He has been having a great year and had a great top prospects game. Hard to tell where he gets picked. Could be anywhere from 12-30.

This is a draft were a 3-4 teams are going to hit jack pots in the middle and late 1st round.

Top Bottom