• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
hopeium! :')

We'll battle for wildcard again this year... :(

Did you expect anything else for this season?

We'll finish most likely anywhere between 6th and 10th in the conference. I might be a bit optimistic with 6th though.

Anyone watch the scrimmage highlights? I wish they put the whole thing up. Anyway, Nylander made some really fantastic passes to Kessel, Holland had 2 goals, Loov had a goal.

You forgot your boy Colton Orr had 1 goal, 1 assist. :D

Also Bibeau had a shutout.

Samyy

Did you expect anything else for this season?

We'll finish most likely anywhere between 6th and 10th in the conference. I might be a bit optimistic with 6th though.

You forgot your boy Colton Orr had 1 goal, 1 assist. :D

Also Bibeau had a shutout.

Oh I didn't checkout the second scrimmage, good for Colton but I doubt he gets a spot even if he scores multiple hattricks.
I hope. :(

Montresor

Yeah I don't see how Colton Orr makes it in at all. His best hope is as a warm body in the press box. There are too many half-decent bottom-six additions to Toronto for Orr to realistically make the team (Winnik, Booth, Komarov, Santorelli, Frattin). The only thing he's good for is fighting, much as I actually love fighting... =(

I really hope Carlyle starts rolling four lines this year, instead of leaning on the top 9 and playing a triplet of fighters only 2-5 minutes every night.

Samyy

Yeah I don't see how Colton Orr makes it in at all. His best hope is as a warm body in the press box. There are too many half-decent bottom-six additions to Toronto for Orr to realistically make the team (Winnik, Booth, Komarov, Santorelli, Frattin). The only thing he's good for is fighting, much as I actually love fighting... =(

I really hope Carlyle starts rolling four lines this year, instead of leaning on the top 9 and playing a triplet of fighters only 2-5 minutes every night.

Thats probably why they signed all those players, they probably don't want to go and tell Carlyle what he can or can't do so by providing him with a number of better players he'll have no choice, hopefully.

zroid

Banned
There is some sort of "training camp coverage" on Leafs TV from 6-8:30, so I'm guessing that is a cut-down version of today's camp? I will check it out anyways.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Post some observations! No time to check it out sadly :<

Here's a post from Paul Hendrick:

http://blog.mapleleafs.com/henny-notes-from-day-3-of-training-camp/

It was an eventful third day of training camp in Etobicoke as the Leafs sprinted into on-ice drills and scrimmages.

The 64 man group broke off into two groups of four teams and the speed, tempo, and competitive nature of the camp was entertaining to say the least.

On the injury front head coach Randy Carlyle told us that both Tyler Bozak and David Clarkson had sustained lower body injuries while skating prior to camp. Carlyle added that both players are listed as day-to-day. The injured duo skated hard early Saturday in full equipment with strength coach Anthony Belza and looked no worse for wear.

That’s good news and the news for rookie defenceman Cody Donaghey was good as well.

The St. John’s native thrived at the rookie tournament in London last week and was rewarded with an entry-level contract from the Leafs.

Donaghey will take part in this camp before heading back to his junior club the Quebec Remparts who’ll be hosting the Memorial Cup next spring.

Two scrimmages hilighted Saturday at MasterCard Centre with Peter Holland scoring two goals in a 2-2 draw in game 1.

“I thought it went pretty well getting matched up with Ashton and Abbott. It seemed very reminiscent of the Marlies. We kind’ve knew how each other played and things went well for us today, ” Holland said.

Holland is in a battle for the 3rd line centre job.

The Caledon native is looking to build on his superb Calder Cup playoff run where he led the Marlies with 15 points in 11 games.

The opportunity to establish roots is key as well after bouncing between Syracuse, Norfolk and Anahiem the past three seasons.

“I think this is the most comfortable I’ve felt coming into a pro camp. It’s a lot different this year. In previous years I’ve had to leave home and fly across the country. And now it’s kind of nice to be in one spot and it’s a comfortability thing for sure. ”

One of the interesting line combinations today featured Nazem Kadri between James van Riemsdyk and Matt Frattin.

The three dominated in game 1 and combined for a goal.

On the defensive side of the puck Jake Gardiner and Morgan Rielly were very much in control.

Petter Granberg paid no respect to veterans Joffrey Lupul and Colton Orr in the second game frustrating both with his physical play.

Stuart Percy was grace under pressure making seeing eye passes and thriving against the opposition forecheck.

Up front rookie William Nylander looked very comfortable playing on the opposite wing of Phil Kessel on a line centred by Petri Kontiola.

Nylander’s precision passing showed further evidence of this young prospect’s vast skill set.

Goal scorers in the two scrimmages today included Holland with a pair, Viktor Loov and Matt Frattin from game 1.

The 2nd contest saw Daniel Winnik, Eric Knodel, Josh Leivo and Colton Orr score in a 4-0 win for Team Blue.

Antoine Bibeau recorded the shutout looking positionally strong and giving up very few rebounds.

All four squads will play another two scrimmages on Sunday before the Leafs get set for their first exhibition game in London Monday against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Acid08

Banned
Marleau-Couture-Nieto should be absolutely dynamite this year. Nieto put on some muscle and has an entire year of experience now, can't wait to watch what he can do.

Bottom six is a total mess right now with Torres and Sheppard injured.

NHL experienced bottom sixers:
Tommy Wingels
Tyler Kennedy
Adam Burish
Andrew Desjardins
Mike Brown
John Scott

Prospects with a realistic chance of getting a spot:
Chris Tierney
Freddie Hamilton
Tye McGinn

Looking at that list, I wish Scott, Brown, Burish, and Kennedy would be traded or buried in the minors. None of them bring anything the kids can't bring just as well. Hell even Desjardins, who has been here and played well for years, looks kinda useless when we have Tierney and Hamilton who have the potential to be WAY better bottom six centers.

Ideally to start the year I'd like:

Hamilton-Tierney-Wingels
McGinn-Desjardins-Hayes

Then when everyone is healthy maybe:

Torres-Sheppard-Wingels
McGinn-Tierney-Hayes

Though in reality Brown, Scott, and Burish will all have spots guaranteed which is bullshit.

Fei

Rasmus Ristolainen went from 230 last year to 205 this year... While beating his strength scores from last year. He also played 35 minutes in a game at Traverse City and then was late for interviews after because he was working out. This guy could be the best defenseman on the Sabres this year at 19. Probably the first legit #1D prospect in the organization in more than a decade. (Tyler Myers......lolno)

....That Jlaw picture. Niiiiiiice.

The people in that thread who are all "OH THE HUMANITY" must be 14.

Razorskin

----- ------
Rasmus Ristolainen went from 230 last year to 205 this year... While beating his strength scores from last year. He also played 35 minutes in a game at Traverse City and then was late for interviews after because he was working out. This guy could be the best defenseman on the Sabres this year at 19. Probably the first legit #1D prospect in the organization in more than a decade.

....That Jlaw picture. Niiiiiiice.

The people in that thread who are all "OH THE HUMANITY" must be 14.

Tyler Myers weeps

zroid

Banned
Someone was asking about where to watch the pre-season Leafs games:

Monday vs PHI @ 7 -- LTV
Tuesday vs PHI @ 7:30 -- TSN4
Wednesday vs OTT @ 7:30 -- TSN4
Sept 26 vs BUF @ 7 -- SN1
Sept 28 vs BUF @ 7 -- SN
Sept 29 vs DET @ 7:30 -- LTV
Oct 3 vs DET @ 7:30 -- SN

Cactus

Banned
I've got a fantasy hockey question for you guys.

Which two players should I retain in a points-only keeper league?

Ehrhoff ($4) and Saad ($1)

...or

E. Kane ($3) and Giordano ($2)

I was leaning towards the latter two, but I feel like Saad will be given a bigger offensive role this year. Gio had a geat year, I'm not sure if he can replicate it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's fun running into Hawks fans in the wild who have no response to Blues gear as they don't know who their team's rivals are.

It's nearly as sad when you run into Leafs, Flames and Oilers fans here because all fanbases have given up hope and we just cry about our shitty teams together.

Acid08

Banned
Burns buttchecking our best prospect today hahahaha that look of PAIN

tf8YGBH.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh shit Ducks GAF, I'm out playing tennis in Irvine and a huge flock of ducks just did a flying V literally 20 feet over our heads, super slow. I feel like I just got buffed with +10 to my Teamwork stat and +15 to Constitution.

The guy who did my tattoo yesterday was a huge Pens fan who played in Swedens minor leagues for 5 years.

Hockey pops up everywhere around here from time to time and it always makes me so happy.

Oh shit Ducks GAF, I'm out playing tennis in Irvine and a huge flock of ducks just did a flying V literally 20 feet over our heads, super slow. I feel like I just got buffed with +10 to my Teamwork stat and +15 to Constitution.

Quick, change Party formation so you're at the center. Give an area wide buff to all in your vacinity. Let's do this.

Lining up for an actual iPhone is the most pleb thing anyone can do.

Quick

Banned
When I got my iPhone 5S last year, I thought lining up was dumb. Instead of doing that, I just placed an online reservation for one. I waited a week to get my new iPhone.

People aren't doing it right when they're lining up, unless there's actual gain that doesn't involve a real-life version of "FIRST!"

Top Bottom