• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Socreges

Banned
This doesn't seem like a scenario that the league should be planning important moves around.
Exactly. Not to mention that he's implying that the fan base would be composed of disappointed Leafs fans.

It gives you some insight into how his brain works, though. Another Toronto team would not create new hockey fans, it would not increase TV ratings, and it would not create more interest in the US. It would be an opportunity lost while only serving to dilute the talent pool. He could never tell people that was his rationale, though, so he doles out BS reasons instead.

Hmm apparently it's on sn360. Wtf is that lol Is that the channel that used to be the score? Hope so.
Yes.

Going to be a bloodbath today, Hawks with most of their top 6 and D and us, with our bottom pairing guys/fringe 7th D-men guys and maybe 1 top line.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Exactly. Not to mention that he's implying that the fan base would be composed of disappointed Leafs fans.

It gives you some insight into how his brain works, though. Another Toronto team would not create new hockey fans, it would not increase TV ratings, and it would not create more interest in the US. It would be an opportunity lost while only serving to dilute the talent pool. He could never tell people that was his rationale, though, so he doles out BS reasons instead.

Seems to me that if Southern California of all places can support two franchises, the greater Toronto area shouldn't have a problem at all. Just put a good product out there and people will siphon off. The opposite of Bettman's statement is true too: what if the new team comes in and wins a cup within the first few years? Seems just as plausible as the original concern.

Yes.

I don't think it's too unreasonable to be worried about the value of something you're selling tanking half way through a sale.

Whether that's even remotely a likely scenario is a different argument all together, but I'm not going to fault him for looking at all the angles.

Projected lineups for Sharks @ Vancouver

Projected lineups for Canucks @ Sharks

Gonna be at school so I'll probably miss a bunch of the first game. Hopefully I can catch most of the second game.

Whoo can't wait. Looks like the Vancouver squad is more top-heavy.

Weird that Weber and Tanev would be a pairing since they're both RHD.

zroid

Banned
That's so dumb. Why not leave it as TSN or TSN1 if it's the same channel?

Well the other TSNs are basic cable TSN elsewhere. I agree that it's weird. :lol

edit: here is the breakdown

TSN1: Primary feed for British Columbia, Alberta and Yukon
TSN3: Primary feed for Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Northwest Territories and parts of Northern Ontario (including 60 regional Winnipeg Jets games)
TSN4: Primary feed for Ontario, excluding Ottawa (including 26 regional Toronto Maple Leafs games)
TSN5: Primary feed for Ottawa, parts of Southeastern Ontario, Quebec and all Atlantic Canada (including 53 regional Ottawa Senators games)

Tabris

Man I really want Jordan Subban to do well. I like his personality.

And maybe have the dream of MTL trading him to us for the Subban - Subban pairing :)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Shinkaruk&Horvat not split yet makes me happy, they have great chemistry. Also looking forward to see Vrbata with the Sedins.

Tabris

Shinkaruk&Horvat not split yet makes me happy, they have great chemistry. Also looking forward to see Vrbata with the Sedins.

I'm super psyched. First real scoring forward to ever play with the Sedins? I mean we would have Ryan Kesler or Marcus Naslund play with them, but it wasn't a natural position fit for them.

EDIT - Hopefully it allows them to take their game back to that next level and become elite players again.

The only issue is they won't be tested against Marleau - Couture - And whoever that is, the same way they would if they had Joe Thornton & Pavelski pushing them around. Also need to see them against Getzlaf and Perry.

zroid

Banned
That all is stupid.

It is poorly handled because outside of regionalization of NHL games, it's a very limiting system. They can't always have multiple programs available on each feed since if there's some major event which they'd normally broadcast to all basic cable subscribers, it essentially locks down all four channels (except TSN2 which is its own thing). On the other hand, when they do have different programming on each feed, they are making a judgment call on which region's basic cable subscribers will be forced to watch each thing.

It would have been a lot smarter to have a "TSN1" which is available on basic cable everywhere, and if there is a blacked out NHL game on, then simply swap the feeds for the duration of the game. Then use TSN2-5 each for unique programming available only to subscribers.

Socreges

Banned
I don't think it's too unreasonable to be worried about the value of something you're selling tanking half way through a sale.

Whether that's even remotely a likely scenario is a different argument all together, but I'm not going to fault him for looking at all the angles.
You're not really addressing anything that's being said. And he said the team "wouldn't exist" under such a scenario, full stop.

Montresor

Anyone who thinks a second team in Toronto would bring down the prices is cray cray.

I don't care about prices personally. I found that, sure, being at the arena is nice and all, but I really enjoy just sitting at home on the couch, watching on my big TV with play-by-play commentary.

I think it's incredibly important for a second team to come in Toronto and win fast. Like within 1-5 years, we need that second team to become elite and win the Cup quickly. I'm not going to cheer for that second team, but I think if a second Toronto team became elite and Cup champions and sustained that for a long time, it would completely fuck the Leafs' bottom line.

edit: I'm taking the Hockey Streams plunge, but I'm only gonna pay the $7.49 for one day. I have no idea how well this thing is going to work streaming to XB1 or 360. Fingers crossed that things go well for tonight's pre-season game.

Man, Steve Spott is so much nicer to listen to in interviews than Carlyle. Good answers and doesn't seem hostile. Maybe after a year of horrible Toronto media questions he will snap but so far so good.

Acid08

Banned
I'm super psyched. First real scoring forward to ever play with the Sedins? I mean we would have Ryan Kesler or Marcus Naslund play with them, but it wasn't a natural position fit for them.

EDIT - Hopefully it allows them to take their game back to that next level and become elite players again.

The only issue is they won't be tested against Marleau - Couture - And whoever that is, the same way they would if they had Joe Thornton & Pavelski pushing them around. Also need to see them against Getzlaf and Perry.
Marleau-Couture-Nieto is a way better defensive line. They go against the toughest competition every game.

Tabris

After having gone to a decent amount of games the last 5 years, I find my home couch / TV is a better experience than seats in the upper bowl. Only lower bowl are the better experience as you're up much more close than TV angle provides. But then the prices are just way too much.

So that's why this year I'm going to go to less games, but ensure every game is lower bowl. While years before I was mainly going upper bowl but to a lot more games.

Tabris

Marleau-Couture-Nieto is a way better defensive line. They go against the toughest competition every game.

Ah, didn't know that, but I meant not defensively but physically. I want the Sedins to be pushed around physically by big bodies like it's the playoffs to see what Vbrata brings when that happens.

Alucard

Banned
After having gone to a decent amount of games the last 5 years, I find my home couch / TV is a better experience than seats in the upper bowl. Only lower bowl are the better experience as you're up much more close than TV angle provides. But then the prices are just way too much.

So that's why this year I'm going to go to less games, but ensure every game is lower bowl. While years before I was mainly going upper bowl but to a lot more games.

KyleBobby.gif

Makes sense.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Lower bowl is for suits, upper bowl has a great view. Just to remind you how awesome hockey is and to bring people who don't understand how awesome hockey is to watch in person.

Tabris

Lower bowl is for suits, upper bowl has a great view. Just to remind you how awesome hockey is and to bring people who don't understand how awesome hockey is to watch in person.

Yeah but that's a Rogers Arena issue, not an NHL wide issue, with the lower bowl being full of casual fans spending more times on their phone than the game.

Spl1nter

McKenzie "Orr is going to battle for a spot. I know Carlyle likes him. If he can skate and forecheck then he'll have a shot"

We can all make the Leafs!

Top Bottom