• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Conspiracy by the players to hide evidence of their play through advanced stats. You heard it here first.
image.php

zroid

Banned
They've shown advanced stats on TSN broadcast last season. Michael Johnson specifically is very interested in stats.

The extent to which they have caught maintream attention this off-season means SN will have no choice but to give them airtime this year. I'm looking forward to seeing Damien Cox's spinning that he supported stats all along.

Socreges

Banned
Impressive. I'm thinking of contacting the Verge to tell them your story. A Renaissance Man in the Digital Era.
No praise necessary! Most are like me. You probably just don't associate with anyone not already 'all up in Bill Gates', as Heretic put it, so how would you know. ;)

The extent to which they have caught maintream attention this off-season means SN will have no choice but to give them airtime this year. I'm looking forward to seeing Damien Cox's spinning that he supported stats all along.

Are advanced stats really mainstream? Most of them are fairly complex and I'd figure they'd go over the head of the average viewer.

They're not mainstream until @simmonssteve approves lol. That guy is the biggest hater.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't know any casual hockey fans who could explain corsi / fenwick, etc. It's more for the more hardcore of fans as of right now in my opinion anyways.

Merguson

Banned
So how come a bunch of Habs games on their schedule still don't list a television network?

The Leafs schedule does the same thing as well. I'm pretty sure this happens every year. They might be regional games. Nothing to worry about.

Speaking of which, I believe this is the last year for Leafs games on LeafsTV. TSN bought LeafsTV's share of games and will broadcast them in 2015-2016. Perfect time to cancel LeafsTV.

zroid

Banned
Are advanced stats really mainstream? Most of them are fairly complex and I'd figure they'd go over the head of the average viewer.

They're not mainstream until @simmonssteve approves lol. That guy is the biggest hater.

Heh well I mean "mainstream" in the sense that most NHL clubs are going to be using them in some capacity going forward. Whether the Steve Simmons types approve is moot since they're already being accepted by those whom the Steve Simmons types make a career of fellating.

Basically, with the major networks giving stats attention next year, casual fans will start to pick up on this stuff sooner than later.

Heh well I mean "mainstream" in the sense that most NHL clubs are going to be using them in some capacity going forward. Whether the Steve Simmons types approve is moot since they're already being accepted by those whom the Steve Simmons types make a career of fellating.

My understanding is that advanced stats have been used by most clubs in some capacity for some time now. Every club did things differently but they all tracked their own statistics, some more than others.

I think teams are just increasing and expanding their investment now as these statistics get more and more publicity.

When you've got bloggers doing more in depth analysis on their team and players than the team themselves you've got a problem.

I can imagine senior NHL management or owners reading articles or sites like mc79hockey and asking their GM

"why don't we have something like this?"

Fei

Advanced stats are certainly on their way to being mainstream. Corsi stats are given after every period on Sabres broadcasts. They even break down shot attempts by proximity to the net.

My dad is a big baseball fan so I get some exposure. It was amazing how quickly broadcasts changed from from only displaying HRs, RBIs, and BA. Hockey will be a little slower, but in 5 years I'd assume most casuals will be exposed to them. Especially once the player tracking cameras are standard.

Solo

I don't give a shit about advanced stats, but at the same time their existence in no way hinders my enjoyment so I guess they're alright.

Top Bottom