• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Real talk: I think they'll make the playoffs in 2015/16.
Really? I still don't see it, even if McDavid was able to go a PPG in his rookie season, that team is still in shambles on the back end and in goal. They're not getting into the playoffs by winning 7-6 every night.

I strongly believe in taking Marner over Hanifin for basically the reasons Corey Pronman outlined in his article (behind a paywall). Basically forwards have historically been much easier to project at the NHL level than defense (and obviously goalies) and forwards have a much bigger team impact than defensemen do:
Pretty much the argument I was making. Jones is one of the rare guys where you could tell he was going to pan out, he was and still is an incredible D prospect.

zroid

Banned
like even aside from the Oilers organization being a poorly managed black hole with a cartoon villain for an owner, it's the principle of 4 first overalls in 6 years in the lottery era. that's totally fucked.

it makes a mockery of the system

like even aside from the Oilers organization being a poorly managed black hole with a cartoon villain for an owner, it's the principle of 4 first overalls in 6 years in the lottery era. that's totally fucked.

it makes a mockery of the system

I was wondering if this has ever happened across any other league with a lottery system, it's ridiculous. Taylor Hall may rack up points, but every time they play the Avs he's cherry picking like he's still in the OHL, the organization doesn't know how to develop players.

Socreges

Banned
Really? I still don't see it, even if McDavid was able to go a PPG in his rookie season, that team is still in shambles on the back end and in goal. They're not getting into the playoffs by winning 7-6 every night.
I was a bit drunk when I said that, but my line of thinking is that they'll attend to some of their deficits this summer. And I say that having no idea what UFAs are available.

Yawnier

Banned
Also apparently at Don Maloney's year end press conference he singled out Marner at the three spot, mentioned there were a lot of good players available but specifically dropped Marners name :/

Knew this would happen

I hope Hunter and Dubas are fans of Strome

keezy

Does anybody know what happened with CBC last night? I was watching Don Cherry and next thing I know CBC was blacked out for the rest of the night. Is everything OK? Are the commies attacking?

Red_Man

I was a bit drunk when I said that, but my line of thinking is that they'll attend to some of their deficits this summer. And I say that having no idea what UFAs are available.
That's was reason would say, but Edmonton has consistently shown the incredible ability to go against reason.

Just to continue to pile on in the Oilers hate:

They have a terrible attitude towards forcing players to play through injuries, and will likely continue that attitude with McDavid:

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...onnor-mcdavid-taylor-hall-ales-hemsky-problem

Well, that was pretty obvious and to be honest, I'd do it too if I was MacT and the management. People pay to see hope and change. When you get that shiny new draft pick, or the player who's supposed to be the next whoever, you want him out right away, rather then giving him experience in the AHL.

Red_Man

The Oilers having Draisital start the season as their #2 C and refusing to let him play at the WJ's tells you all you need to know about their management and ability to properly develop players.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that was pretty obvious and to be honest, I'd do it too if I was MacT and the management. People pay to see hope and change. When you get that shiny new draft pick, or the player who's supposed to be the next whoever, you want him out right away, rather then giving him experience in the AHL.

It's not talking about having them play in the AHL but rather forcing them to play through injuries.

zroid

Banned
lol:

McDavid wasn't deterred by this disastrous result. "It'll be an honor to be an Oiler. To put on that Copper and Blue sweater, knowing that you're the next in a proud, storied history of first-overall Oiler picks that didn't do jack shit in Edmonton, it'll be a feeling like no other."

FrigidEh

I'm not mad that the Oilers got McDavid but this feels like such a let down for the NHL. Don't believe they'll ruin him but his potential on other teams would have been higher imo.

Parch

I strongly believe in taking Marner over Hanifin for basically the reasons Corey Pronman outlined in his article
I'm pretty skeptical about Hanifin. I don't think college defenceman are on par with the CHL right now. He's still a fine defenceman, just a pretty big gamble to be picking him top 5 IMO. I'm not too worried at all about Eichel, but after the college hype for d-man Justin Schultz, I'd be very wary of picking Hanifan so high.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Not much separating Marner, Strome, and Hanifin imo.
When the Oilers were scheduled to be picking 3rd or 4th (LOL! Glad we're not there anymore!), I read up on these prospects quite a bit and couldn't decide on one. I think the Leafs will be happy with any of the 3. All 3 of these players could be #1s in a conventional non-generational draft.

Anyway, as an Oilers fan, I gotta say that I love the SALT from fans and media from the 29 other teams. Seriously. There's no way you're going to make an Oilers fan feel bad right now. We went from a joke and afterthought to well...we're still a joke, but there's jealousy in those insults. It's fun being the heel.

Winning is everything. People made fun of the Penguins before. The Blackhawks were forgotten all throughout the 90s and most of the 2000's. Winning cures everything. Nobody will care how much of a joke the Oilers are right now if they start winning.

OnPoint

Winning is everything. People made fun of the Penguins before. The Blackhawks were forgotten all throughout the 90s and most of the 2000's. Winning cures everything. Nobody will care how much of a joke the Oilers are right now if they start winning.
With this many top picks you'd have to eventually, right?

Personally I'm not jealous. I just hope they don't waste it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The Oilers have been a fucking joke, but RNH has not been ruined. He made big steps this year. He's a solid player. He's still getting better. He still has the potential to be a VERY good 2-way forward.

From what I've seen of RNH, he has every single tool to become a star, and I really think he would have had at least one 80-90 point season under his belt by now if he was playing for any other organization. It's his development as a professional hockey player that's being stunted and 100% of the blame for that goes to the Oilers coaches and management.

Just to continue to pile on in the Oilers hate:

They have a terrible attitude towards forcing players to play through injuries, and will likely continue that attitude with McDavid:

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...onnor-mcdavid-taylor-hall-ales-hemsky-problem

I'm really not surprised to read any of that. The Oilers upper management runs the team in the most amateur and bush league way possible. The fact that they kept on playing an injured Hall even after they were out of the season speaks volumes about how much they actually care about the future of the team, it's the definition of having a mindset that's firmly stuck in the present.

Not much separating Marner, Strome, and Hanifin imo.
When the Oilers were scheduled to be picking 3rd or 4th (LOL! Glad we're not there anymore!), I read up on these prospects quite a bit and couldn't decide on one. I think the Leafs will be happy with any of the 3. All 3 of these players could be #1s in a conventional non-generational draft.

Anyway, as an Oilers fan, I gotta say that I love the SALT from fans and media from the 29 other teams. Seriously. There's no way you're going to make an Oilers fan feel bad right now. We went from a joke and afterthought to well...we're still a joke, but there's jealousy in those insults. It's fun being the heel.

I don't think anyone is jealous. I'm happy for Oilers fans, and I would be really happy with the Oilers winning the lottery if

1) Kevin Lowe wasn't the president
2) Daryl Katz wasn't the owner
3) MacTavish wasn't the GM (but, honestly, it's Kevin Lowe pulling all the strings any ways)

I think people are more pissed off that the Oilers have yet another 1st overall pick to ruin, and this time it's a generational talent.

Merguson

Banned
I know some people were talking about George Armstrong still being part of the organization as a scout.

I was checking out mapleleafs.com and I noticed the management page has George Armstrong as a community representative instead of amateur scout. Makes sense. Firing a Leaf legend wouldn't probably go over well, lol.

Razorskin

----- ------
I know some people were talking about George Armstrong still being part of the organization as a scout.

I was checking out mapleleafs.com and I noticed the management page has George Armstrong as a community representative instead of amateur scout. Makes sense. Firing a Leaf legend wouldn't probably go over well, lol.

Yet they fired Leafs Winter Classic goalie legend Mike Palmateer.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hi guyZ, woof after those 2 games I would have definitely got banned lol.

Anyways only 2 more games then I will be back :(

K thnx bye

zroid

Banned
front.jpg

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Maybe Daryl Katz really likes Ivan Provorov and pressures MacT into drafting him! (like how he told oilers management to take Yakupov over a defenceman)
Though likely true (i.e. Oilers scouts wanted Ryan Murray & Katz vetoed them), Yakupov was still the consensus #1. Just like the Nuge was the consensus #1. Same for Taylor Hall (narrowly over Seguin).

The Oilers are awful, but they're not retarded.

Oilers are in better shape but they still have no defence, sub par goaltending, little in the way of prospects, and no tradeable assets besides their best players. They are also not a destination franchise so they'll have to overpay for some depth UFAs.

They could run into cap trouble in a few years as well.

I doubt they make the playoffs next year. Canucks and Flames could drop, but I doubt the Kings and Sharks would miss again.

Oilers are in better shape but they still have no defence, sub par goaltending, little in the way of prospects, and no tradeable assets besides their best players. They are also not a destination franchise so they'll have to overpay for some depth UFAs.

They could run into cap trouble in a few years as well.

I doubt they make the playoffs next year. Canucks and Flames could drop, but I doubt the Kings and Sharks would miss again.

It depends if the Kings go after free agents or call up their younger guys.

Top Bottom