• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

5mmUVL7.png

https://twitter.com/RayHudson/status/589954382973775872

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgk04dtId7Y

Imagine this guy for the Stanley Cup Finals.

Acid08

Banned
TMac is a good coach and he gave us some really good years. This year he wasn't given much to work with but even then he made a bunch of questionable lineup decisions. Also seemed like his frustration had reached a boiling point going by some of his post-game quotes over the past few months. Wish him well wherever he ends up, I'm guessing Edmonton, Toronto, or Buffalo.

Now I wonder who we're gonna get. I wonder if Babcock would be interested, dude loves coaching Marleau specifically.

as a fallback plan if those jobs don't pan out, he's good buddies with Boudreau. Is McLellan good with the power play? ours sucks, don't let our postseason power play stats fool you.

Edmonton has a bunch of problems and is in the same division as the Sharks but the opportunity to coach McDavid must be tempting. Toronto is a tire fire but they have deep pockets so they'll pursue McLellan. Buffalo has a lot of young up-and-coming players too.

Wilson please hire Torts.

Acid08

Banned
Curtis Pashelka
‏@CurtisPashelka
McLellan: "Till my last breath, I will have a ton of respect for Joe Thornton."

:'(

all the quotes from TMac make me hate DW so much more. Dude spent the whole offseason actively making the team worse and TMac gets fired as a result. Fuck him.

zroid

Banned
Curtis Pashelka
‏@CurtisPashelka
McLellan: "Till my last breath, I will have a ton of respect for Joe Thornton."

:'(

all the quotes from TMac make me hate DW so much more. Dude spent the whole offseason actively making the team worse and TMac gets fired as a result. Fuck him.

:(

To your point about his dubious player usage this year, which I agree with, it's worth noting that every coach in the league makes some really questionable player decisions at times. Even Babcock, Cooper, Vigneault, etc. Makes you wonder how much of that is pressure from above, or just other factors we don't know about.

Pikma

Banned
I'd take TMac over Lindy Ruff any day of the week if it wasn't for that fucking balls-to-the-wall end of season we had that has me so damn hyped, even though it'll end up being fucking nothing I'm sure.

Pikma

Banned
Did you lose an avatar bet?
it's from that day the Oilers shat on the Kings playoffs dream, someone posted a picture of the oilers logo and I joked about using that as an avatar until the playoffs ended IF they could beat the Kings that day, the fuckers actually did and it was glorious, but I've been stuck with it ever since, it's horrible but bleh I've had worse

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
cross-posting

I've got some bad news for Stoll (yes I went to check Nevada law, I'm bored)

[...shall by punished by if weight for substance schedule 1 (MDMA) is more than...]
Is 4 grams or more, but less than 14 grams, for a category B felony by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years and by a fine of not more than $50,000.

and for coke:

A category E felony is a felony for which a court shall sentence a convicted person to imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 4 years. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 176A.100, upon sentencing a person who is found guilty of a category E felony, the court shall suspend the execution of the sentence and grant probation to the person upon such conditions as the court deems appropriate. Such conditions of probation may include, but are not limited to, requiring the person to serve a term of confinement of not more than 1 year in the county jail. In addition to any other penalty, the court may impose a fine of not more than $5,000, unless a greater penalty is authorized or required by statute.

so basically

for MDMA: 1 year at least mandatory minimum, no parole/suspension of sentence possible
for coke: 1 year, but may be suspended at discretion of judge

... so either the judge fucks him over because he has TWO crimes at once (and he gets 2 years) or the judge can suspend the second sentence (and he gets 1 year in county jail, not state prison (what's the difference?)) or he pulls the "i'm rich bitches" card and we'll see

Wonder how he can get out of the mandatory minimum charge though.

Wonder if he can ask to go to the same jail as Voynov?

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm sure he won't go to jail

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/documents-reveal-more-on-stoll-arrest-1.262034

After his arrest, Stoll was released on his own recognizance and was given a court date of July 1 at 8:30am pt.
Stoll will probably be able to negotiate a "slap on the wrist," a former state prosecutor told TSN on Saturday.
Michael Pariente, who has been a criminal defence lawyer in Las Vegas since 2006, said he's represented dozens of people accused of drug possession - many of them Canadian - and in every case, the prosecutor has offered first time offenders a plea deal.
Pariente said prosecutors in Clark County, Nevada, would probably allow Stoll to plead guilty to misdemeanour possession of a dangerous drug not to be introduced into inner state commerce. If he does plead guilty to that misdemeanour, Stoll, who was released Friday night on $5,000 bail, according to court records, would probably pay a fine of up to $1,000. He's also be required to take online drug awareness court, a computer course that requires about four hours of time but can be completed anywhere.

zroid

Banned
cross-posting

I've got some bad news for Stoll (yes I went to check Nevada law, I'm bored)

[...shall by punished by if weight for substance schedule 1 (MDMA) is more than...]
Is 4 grams or more, but less than 14 grams, for a category B felony by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years and by a fine of not more than $50,000.

and for coke:

A category E felony is a felony for which a court shall sentence a convicted person to imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 4 years. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 176A.100, upon sentencing a person who is found guilty of a category E felony, the court shall suspend the execution of the sentence and grant probation to the person upon such conditions as the court deems appropriate. Such conditions of probation may include, but are not limited to, requiring the person to serve a term of confinement of not more than 1 year in the county jail. In addition to any other penalty, the court may impose a fine of not more than $5,000, unless a greater penalty is authorized or required by statute.

so basically

for MDMA: 1 year at least mandatory minimum, no parole/suspension of sentence possible
for coke: 1 year, but may be suspended at discretion of judge

... so either the judge fucks him over because he has TWO crimes at once (and he gets 2 years) or the judge can suspend the second sentence (and he gets 1 year in county jail, not state prison (what's the difference?)) or he pulls the "i'm rich bitches" card and we'll see

Wonder how he can get out of the mandatory minimum charge though.

Wonder if he can ask to go to the same jail as Voynov?
I don't know how it works in Canada, but you seem to have a gross misunderstanding on how the justice system works in America if you have money

zroid

Banned
Executive compensation rules are so bizarre:
An update on a blog I wrote a few weeks back about team personnel compensation:

There has been confusion in NHL circles about where exactly fired coaches/executives fit into all this if they remain under contract.

The initial explanation on this I got from someone in the know was that he thought if you were fired, even if still under contract, that the team in question did not qualify for draft pick compensation from the team hiring the fired person. It is also what most team executives I had spoken with thought.

However, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who authored the memo on this, told ESPN.com Monday that for coaches, general managers or presidents of hockey operations who are fired but remain under contract, their teams are privy to draft pick compensation if they choose to pursue it.

But the team can also waive the draft pick compensation if they want, Daly said.

The reason many teams would waive in most cases is that they’re more interested in getting the person who is under contract but no longer working for the team off the books. So why discourage a hire elsewhere.

Still, it certainly adds a new wrinkle to it all.

Let’s take fired Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli as an example. He has three years left on his deal. As per Daly’s interpretation of the rule, the Bruins do in fact have the right to draft pick compensation if they want it.

Now, you would think the Bruins wouldn't want to block any attempt at another team to hire Chiarelli since they owe him a salary for three more years. But the point is, they apparently could demand a pick if they wanted.

What’s interesting about all this, is that it runs counter to what many team executives believed was the original point of wanting to bring back compensation. One executive told ESPN.com Monday that he had always thought the rule was just to protect, for example, a team like Detroit Red Wings when they allow Steve Yzerman or Jim Nill to go elsewhere for better opportunities, not to try and squeeze a pick out of someone you fired.

Which is why this has the potential now to be very intriguing -- and potentially contentious -- moving forward. We shall see.

What I'm not clear on is how it works if you are poaching someone who wasn't fired. It seems you can get draft pick compensation if you keep paying the exec, but if they just quit to get a job elsewhere, I assume they don't keep getting paid? So then can they still get a draft pick as compensation? It's odd.

Foggy

Just got back from a weekend road trip and hoping it might conjure up some anti-jinxing mojo to land McDavid for the BJs. Oh well, Ivan Provorov sounds like a nice enough consolation prize. There's all sorts of rumors that they're gonna package some prospects to jump up a bit, but that would only make sense for Hanifin, but even then it sounds like it might be too much to give up.

Quick

Banned
Off-topic off-topic: I'm thinking about replaying the Mass Effect trilogy, this time all on PS3. I had a pretty disjointed ME experience: played ME2 on PC first, then ME1 also on PC (didn't finish), then ME3 on PS3. Picked up ME1 during its PS3 release but never really got past the first part and also picked up ME2 used for PS3 as well.

ME2 is probably one of the best games I've played last gen. I bought day one based on the hype alone without knowing much about the ME series and easily ate up a good amount of hours on it.

I also just picked up GTA IV and Stories from Liberty City for $5 each on PSN. I finished GTA IV pre-Trophies and I'm itching for some GTA in general. I haven't finished either The Lost and Damned and The Balad of Gay Tony. Though, I just remember GTA IV (TLAD especially) annoying the shit out of me with how "slippery" vehicles are in general.

What the fuck?

I got to watch the draft down in Miami somehow and I couldn't believe it.

Plenty of Canadians in Florida.

Miami is bandwagon city. Probably just waiting on the Panthers to become relevant by slowly indoctrinating the citizens on hockey.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck?

I got to watch the draft down in Miami somehow and I couldn't believe it.

It's because you weren't here.

Off-topic off-topic: I'm thinking about replaying the Mass Effect trilogy, this time all on PS3. I had a pretty disjointed ME experience: played ME2 on PC first, then ME1 also on PC (didn't finish), then ME3 on PS3. Picked up ME1 during its PS3 release but never really got past the first part and also picked up ME2 used for PS3 as well.

ME2 is probably one of the best games I've played last gen. I bought day one based on the hype alone without knowing much about the ME series and easily ate up a good amount of hours on it.

ME3 soured me so much on the whole series that I'm not sure I can ever go back to the first two. I loved ME1. LOVED. It's the only game I actually got all 1000 achievements in. It's my favourite game from last gen, maybe ever. I know that most like 2 over 1 but I'm the opposite. ME2 is a great game but I didn't like some of the changes they made.

Quick

Banned
Having no context of anything from ME1 at the time, playing ME2 was interesting being that Shepard was immediately seen as a heel by everyone.

I know how you feel about ME3, though. Initially, I wasn't so phased by the ending, but upon further review, it hit me that it was pretty stupid and amassing an army didn't do shit for me. Bioware basically wasted my time with that, thinking it was going to be important like ME2 and Loyalty missions.

I have ME1 on PS3. I might have to fire it up and just get through it and see where that goes.

Top Bottom