• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just one bad example of "watch da games".
I don't think anyone here is disregarding stats completely, but they need to be used in balance and perspective. They show us a lot of things we have difficulty measuring before, but they also are unable to calculate a lot of different factors in a hockey game. They need to be used together with scouting, not as a singular tool. Not to mention statistics are one of the easiest things to manipulate to whatever bias you're trying to push.

zroid

Banned
Pretty sure this is the same for every team :lol

I think the study that was done a couple years ago found that about a third of teams had drafting success worse than CSS rankings. -_-

I remember reading that apparently the Leafs scouting was worse than CSS overall, and even more damning is that the few times they actually hit on their picks, they often traded them away before they turned into anything. so that's pretty f'ing sad. :|

I don't think anyone here is disregarding stats completely, but they need to be used in balance and perspective. They show us a lot of things we have difficulty measuring before, but they also are unable to calculate a lot of different factors in a hockey game. They need to be used together with scouting, not as a singular tool. Not to mention statistics are one of the easiest things to manipulate to whatever bias you're trying to push.
Nah everything is always us vs them. What fun is unclear opposition?

zroid

Banned
Letang, Despres, Pouliot, Maata would have been a super good top 4 for the Pens for a long time, at a pretty cheap combined cap hit.

too bad

If this happens I can't wait to hear Toronto MSM explain the return
Basically they've been saying we should be grateful to get a 3rd rounder for him

AM640_Bill_Watters1.jpeg

imBask

Banned
alright Pens should just trade for Kessel and then trade Letang and a 1st for Stamkos or Benn or something like that

FUCK DEFENSE, LITERALLY ALL IN

ZeroGravity

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO
Nothing official but looks like #tblightning will get a pair of NBC Wed. Rivalry games - Dec. 30 vs NYR & Feb. 8 vs. Det, both 8 p.m. starts
Oh boy, we have rivals now!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wonder who the Wings are targeting.....

We already got our man in Dan Cleary.

Seriously, though, I don't see much happening. PHT reported they're just going to promote guys from GR on defense, which is probably the best idea.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yep, TSN already stating that the Leafs are no longer rebuilding and that Shanahan is a liar

The Toronto media's mistake is assuming the leafs were doing a rebuild.

When the hell has shanahan ever said we were rebuilding.

He said there's going to be change. He said there wasn't enough pride. He said they wanted to draft right, develop right.

Shanahan seemed to be focusing primarily on the management failures and not the players themselves.

People weren't paying attention when he said he had no intention of being GM. He's not there to get the players under control. He's there to get the management under to control.

zroid

Banned
Hayes
But its Naylor that started that discussion

lol. well as long as it's not Simmons I can tolerate it.

edit: Naylor has also been among the most peeved in the TO media about Shanny not getting a "proper GM". Seems like he's been waiting for an opportunity to go off for a while.

Pikma

Banned
I'm liking this 2015-2016 schedule. Having away games at Anaheim and one at LA on friday, saturday and sunday is a big improvement from last year's schedule and that 5-game homestand in March means I can justify a trip to Dallas and watch a few home games.

Syrinx

If you guys had the choice of taking Hanifin in this draft, or Ekblad in last years draft (without the hindsight of his Calder season), who would it be?

Just trying to get a gauge on my future franchiser d-man.

Samyy

If you guys had the choice of taking Hanifin in this draft, or Ekblad in last years draft (without the hindsight of his Calder season), who would it be?

Just trying to get a gauge on my future franchiser d-man.

Pronman said a few scouts had Hanifin ahead of Ekblad but the majority had Ekblad

Samyy

Colorado gave up a 6th rounder in 2016 for the rights to Carl Soderberg

O'Reilly replacement? Hear he is asking for 5x5mil.

Top Bottom