• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Socreges

Banned
Baseball eh

Charles-Barkley-Falling-Asleep-Inside-the-NBA.gif

why must you hurt me so

but at least the Leafs have a direction and the Marlies to look forward to. The Jays are just eternally mediocre.
Down. Same as ever. Only now they're sanctioning it.

The Jays don't lose creatively, it's usually just one of the following:

- Hutchinson pitching on the road
- Dickey starting
- Bullpen collapses

Tabris

Absolutely. You wouldn't be Patrick Bateman if you didn't.

- He has a great sense of wall street fashion - I would suit up every day if I could.
- He has a great sense of modern interior design - love it, I model my pad after a similar decorum.
- He has a taste for the finer things in life - love it.
- He has a perfected morning and evening skin regiment - love it.
- He has a daily work out routine and is into looking good - love it.
- He's passionate about 80s music - love it.
- He's OCD about things being organized and clean - love it.

Who wouldn't want to be Patrick Bateman?

calder

Still, let's not lose sight of the big picture, they were .500 on the west trip where they usually get slaughtered

True, most years the Jays go to Oakland or Seattle around this time of the year and get swept by a shitty team for no reason at all. As a bonus they usually lose a 4 gamer in Seattle to make sure they cap off a 2 and 8 west coast swing in anti-style.

imBask

Banned
baseball is cool, it's a sport you don't actually have to watch, you just put it in the background and turn around when you hear something

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Stepan signs 6 years $6.5M

That's a lot of money for a guy who's only scored 20 goals once, 5 years ago and who has never hit 60 points....

YTG2PZC.png

Cake Boss

Banned
Stepan signs 6 years $6.5M

That's a lot of money for a guy who's only scored 20 goals once, 5 years ago and who has never hit 60 points....

YTG2PZC.png

lmao says the guy who's team is paying $5.5 million for 6 years for a dman who's barely a 20 point guy....but that ain't none of my business.

zroid

Banned
from what I understand, Step and Kadri have very similar career numbers... not sure if I like that contract for Kadri next year, but hopefully with 1st line minutes (PLEASE) he produces

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
lmao says the guy who's team is paying $5.5 million for 6 years for a dman who's barely a 20 point guy....but that ain't none of my business.
The guy who was our 2nd best defenseman in the playoffs after Subban, and who' a right handed D that can play on the top pairing who has comparable advanced stats to other defenseman making that kind of cash. Slighting a defenseman for lack of points when he's played for the Oilers his entire career? Try harder.

Cake Boss

Banned
The guy who was our 2nd best defenseman in the playoffs after Subban, and who' a right handed D that can play on the top pairing who has comparable advanced stats to other defenseman making that kind of cash. Slighting a defenseman for lack of points when he's played for the Oilers his entire career? Try harder.

Oh you mean like Stepan who was the 2nd best center in the playoffs after Brassard, and who's a right handed center than can play against the other team's best centers and has been .78points per game the last 3 seasons and is only 25. Slighting the team's top center whos getting paid 6.5M a year in an era where Oreilly is getting 7.5M. Try harder.

See anyone can do it.

btw both players are overpaid...and so is Babby Ryan.

baseball is cool, it's a sport you don't actually have to watch, you just put it in the background and turn around when you hear something
Like the sound of a shotgun cocking that you swore you heard behind you but it was really just your brain telling you how much it wants to die?

That happens to you guys too right?

Curufinwe

Stepan was a 25 year old 1C on pace for 66 points this season, and he plays against other teams top lines. $6m is the floor for a player like that nowadays and that's not just because of ROR. Look at what Soderberg got.

And Anisimov.

zroid

Banned
I think people are used to seeing most RFAs get paid less just because they're younger and have control, but that's changing. And it's a good thing IMO. Players should be paid the most when they're in their primes, not when they're already declining. In the past Stepan might have been paid a bit less now, but then he'll have his most productive season a couple years from now and his contract would look like a bargain. THEN he'd get paid the big money as a UFA when his best years are already behind him. So this is probably better.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Stepan was a 25 year old 1C on pace for 66 points this season... $6m is the floor for a player like that nowadays and that's not just because of ROR. Look at what Soderberg got.

He also had never missed a game in his pro career prior to this past year (one game with a broken jaw against Montreal in the playoffs and the first month of the season with a broken leg).

Also, it will be interesting to see what kind of numbers Stepan can put up in a season if he, you know, participates in training camp. Due to various circumstances, he has not had a full proper training camp since 2011.

imBask

Banned
GKMC is one of my favorite album of all time, To Pimp A Butterfly just doesn't work for me and it's frustrating... I tried to like it, I listened to it about a billion time to force it on me... the second half of the album is unbearable

Curufinwe

He also had never missed a game in his pro career prior to this past year (one game with a broken jaw against Montreal in the playoffs and the first month of the season with a broken leg).

Also, it will be interesting to see what kind of numbers Stepan can put up in a season if he, you know, participates in training camp. Due to various circumstances, he has not had a full proper training camp since 2011.

If a player gets injured a lot then it makes sense to not trust points pace and look mainly at their actual point totals. But it's pretty lame when a guy like Stepan has one injury in his career, scores 55 points in 68 games, and you see people throw out the "But he's never scored 60 points!" argument.

imBask

Banned
I'm going to put that one in the file, but I need music to assemble a bookshelf to. This is no time for jazz.

Edit: First thirty to forty seconds sound like the intro to a radiohead song though. Digging it.

I'll give it a go.

modern jazz is usually influenced by electronic music, it's underrated

Cake Boss

Banned
If a player gets injured a lot then it makes sense to not trust points pace and look mainly at their actual point totals. But it's pretty lame when a guy like Stepan has one injury in his career, scores 55 points in 68 games, and you see people throw out the "But he's never scored 60 points!" argument.

Or when he had 44 points in 48 games in the lockout season.

GKMC is one of my favorite album of all time, To Pimp A Butterfly just doesn't work for me and it's frustrating... I tried to like it, I listened to it about a billion time to force it on me... the second half of the album is unbearable

It took me like 2/3 listens to really like it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Stepan's contract has a no trade clause early on and then a no move through the remainder of the six years. No info yet on exactly how many years is which, though. I'd guess that the NTC is the first two years, though.

calder

Nice, Rogers customers who got GCL for free last year get again this year.

Enjoy a FREE 2015-16 Season's Pass subscription to Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVETM with your Share Everything™ wireless plan or Rogers IGNITE™ internet plan!

And, even better presumably this time there won't be a month of agonizing login issues again as old GCL apps slowly get updated to allow Rogers accounts.

Socreges

Banned

And, even better presumably this time there won't be a month of agonizing login issues again as old GCL apps slowly get updated to allow Rogers accounts.
Does that not indicate that you must have particular Rogers plans?

imBask

Banned
it is still unclear how the blackouts work with GCL... last year there was "no blackout" yet they couldn't guarantee me that I would get the 82 games
+ the customer service was terrible

I went with HS

zroid

Banned

Oh nice. Wasn't expecting another year at all.

Does that not indicate that you must have particular Rogers plans?

It's the same plans that got it free last year I believe. The whole year, that is, not just those who got it till Dec 31.

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 3m3 minutes ago
Connor McDavid on NBC or NBCSN: Once, vs. Eichel, in March.

Philadelphia Flyers on NBC or NBCSN: 18 times.

Eh.

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 2m2 minutes ago
The NJ Devils, btw, are scheduled for one game on NBC/NBCSN: Jan. 10 vs. Minnesota. No Rangers or Isles v. Devils. #Rebuild

THANK YOU LORD

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 7m7 minutes ago
Also, Detroit has "rivalry night" games vs. Caps & Flyers, in which "rivalry" is apparently defined as "beat them for Cup in last 20 yrs.

zroid

Banned
Buffalo vs Edmonton on national TV :lol

if edmonton ends up being a tire fire again i wonder if those plans will change

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Eh.

THANK YOU LORD

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 25m 25 minutes ago

Islanders get on NBC/NBCSN five times, including vs. Rangers on Dec. 2 in BROOOOOOKKKKKLYYYYYN
Pretty damn psyched about strolling down Flatbush from my new apartment for this one.

Looking forward to seeing the Isles' new abomination to hockey firsthand. I wonder if it will be any better than the shitshow that is NYCFC's setup at Yankee Stadium. :D

Stepan's contract is pretty reasonable. He'll be 31 when it's up, so the cap should be higher and he'll be coming off his prime years.

His cap hit is lower than Spezza, Statsny, and Koivu.

Top Bottom