• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Samyy

Auston Matthews broke Patrick Kane's USNTDP points record with 5 games to play :/
Looks like he'll be better than Eichel

Yawnier

Banned
It's an awesome contract. Klingberg is legit

Not saying it is bad, its just one of those higher risk contracts you don't see given out very often to a player who has less than 80 NHL gms experience. I can't think of many other teams that have given out contracts like that in recent years other than MacT and the oilers. Possible we see Klefbom given a similar contract over the next month or two

Would love if Rielly could get a contract like that but I think he will want more than that for a long term contract (ie. 6 or 7 year) by the time June 2016 comes around

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Berube being fired is awesome

Step one of MY plan complete.

Now, get rid of Vinny, RJ and MacDonald.

A bit of a surreal week at work. On Sunday, my coworker's father dies (somewhat unexpectedly, but he was 84 and battling cancer). Then on Monday, another coworker's husband is dies in a plane crash. A lot of heavy hearts around here.

Auston Matthews broke Patrick Kane's USNTDP points record with 5 games to play :/
Looks like he'll be better than Eichel

The Leafs' NHL Cs could realistically be this in 3-4 years:

Kadri
Matthews
Marner
Gauthier

A bit of a surreal week at work. On Sunday, my coworker's father dies (somewhat unexpectedly, but he was 84 and battling cancer). Then on Monday, another coworker's husband is dies in a plane crash. A lot of heavy hearts around here.

The Leafs' NHL Cs could realistically be this in 3-4 years:

Kadri
Matthews
Marner
Gauthier

So you're expecting your team to suck that bad next year too? Good outlook there buddy... Also, with Matthews and Marner, you can guarantee yourself that Kadri would not be the top center. He'd be 3C.

I didn't realise the draft rules were changing again.

Still, it could happen!

So you're expecting your team to suck that bad next year too? Good outlook there buddy... Also, with Matthews and Marner, you can guarantee yourself that Kadri would not be the top center. He'd be 3C.

Er, yes. It's widely known that the Leafs are in the process of dismantling the current roster and building through the draft.

And no, I don't expect 2 as yet undrafted guys to be playing 1C minutes for the Leafs by 2018/19.

Samyy

Why the hell would we throw Matthews and Marner to the wolves in what would be their 1st or 2nd year in the NHL.

Kadri is more than capable of at least competently playing against most top lines, he'll need to shelter any new centre we draft for a few years.

Why the hell would we throw Matthews and Marner to the wolves in what would be their 1st or 2nd year in the NHL.

Kadri is more than capable of at least competently playing against most top lines, he'll need to shelter any new centre we draft for a few years.

In 3 to 4 years? I think Marner could take that job from Kadri and Matthews might just be the #1 of the 2016 draft as well. I could see them possibly surpass Kadri in the 3 to 4 year time period.

Samyy

I wonder if the Leafs take Willy's brother in next years draft. 2016 Rankings so far have Alexander Nylander all over the place in the 1st round

I don't think he'll be a top pick next year, not as good offensively as Willy and a worse skater. I looked into this fairly extensively :p

In 3 to 4 years? I think Marner could take that job from Kadri and Matthews might just be the #1 of the 2016 draft as well. I could see them possibly surpass Kadri in the 3 to 4 year time period.

I think your underrating Kadri and overrating the abilities two young centres in the NHL. Centre has to be the most difficult position to learn how to play, and I think it would benefit both players to not be thrust into a #1 role for a bit. Despite his production this year, Kadri generally does a very good job generating scoring chances and a decent job at surpressing chances against.

7 years, $4.25 AAV for Klingberg could end up being a Myers contract. He had a good rookie season and Dallas probably needs him but that's a lot of money for a long time.

Should've just given him a bridge deal.

Yawnier

Banned
I don't think he'll be a top pick next year, not as good offensively as Willy and a worse skater. I looked into this fairly extensively :p

Looking at a few of his profiles, he wouldn't seem like a bad pick if they can get a later 1st next year

calder

The closer we get to the lottery on Saturday the less funny this thread topic gets. A Kings lottery win would be hurtful and frankly emotionally scarring, perhaps even worse than an Oilers win.

Actually looking at the lottery again half the teams would be some level of "ugh" for me if they won. I think deep down I always assumed the Jets would be getting a few ping pong balls too so it was messing with my mind. Either way, this thread, twitter etc are going to be fucking nuts when that lottery happens and I can't wait.

Syrinx

The closer we get to the lottery on Saturday the less funny this thread topic gets. A Kings lottery win would be hurtful and frankly emotionally scarring, perhaps even worse than an Oilers win.

Actually looking at the lottery again half the teams would be some level of "ugh" for me if they won. I think deep down I always assumed the Jets would be getting a few ping pong balls too so it was messing with my mind. Either way, this thread, twitter etc are going to be fucking nuts when that lottery happens and I can't wait.

Just mostly hoping Carolina stays in the top 5 at this point. And that under no circumstances does Columbus win it, cause they'd be a fucking wrecking crew with McDavid going forward.

Curufinwe

I am so happy about Berube getting canned after all the shit he talked about Mason and then Couturier. I can't imagine he'll veer get another NHL head coaching job.

Samyy

I'm actually dreading it, don't even care about winning just don't want an actual really good team to get him. Columbus would be a monster, best team in the East immediately. Obviously LA/Boston would be a nightmare scenario.

I just hope someone ahead of the Leafs win and we stay 4th.

iLLmAtlc

Any nerds understand why the draft lottery is set up with that chart. What's the difference from doing it like that than just giving a team more number of balls?

Acid08

Banned
I'd be totally okay with that!

If that actually happened we should trade Couture for a legit top four d-man and a good prospect. Then move Burns back up front.

Pavelski-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-McDavid-Nieto
Hertl-Tierney-Wingels
Torres-Smith-Goodrow

Vlasic-Braun
Dillon-X
Mueller-Fedun

Acid08

Banned
11115711_872534999473487_4644412309109735333_n.jpg

Hertl is such a celeb in the Czech Republic.

Curufinwe

Any nerds understand why the draft lottery is set up with that chart. What's the difference from doing it like that than just giving a team more number of balls?

Maybe they would require too many balls to make the odds match up with the balls. I think they would need 200 since a lot of the teams have percentage chances ending in 0.5.

Curufinwe

If it works like this it could be a cool way to build suspense. With every ball drawn the odds change and some teams drop out.

http://nhllotterysimulator.com/#/official

Here's an example of what it could look like after the first three balls are drawn:

Edmonton Oilers 27.27% Chance
Combinations Remaining:
[[1,8,12,13],[7,8,12,13],[8,11,12,13]]

Arizona Coyotes 18.18% Chance
Combinations Remaining:
[[4,8,12,13],[5,8,12,13]]

Philadelphia Flyers 18.18% Chance
Combinations Remaining:
[[8,12,13,14],[2,8,12,13]]

Toronto Maple Leafs 18.18% Chance
Combinations Remaining:
[[3,8,12,13],[8,10,12,13]]