• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Samyy

Draft eligible Timo Meier is averaging almost 8 shots a game in the QJMHL playoffs.

I wonder how scouts judge how much of that is due to Ehlers or for that matter how much players benefit from playing with another really good player on their line.

Acid we can be buddies now that both of our teams are out. Let's hate against the Ducks this playoff round.

No. We already have our alliance.

GkDSfeD.jpg

Join us and go hate on Tabris or something

zroid

Banned
The Canadians are trying to murder the Latvian goalie

edit: actually he was pushed into him by a Latvian >.>

lmao Canada missed a penalty shot and seconds later conceded a shorthanded goal. fail.

Cat Party

Not really. Jumbo runs this team's offense and he has since he got here. His possession stats are dominant and he is a big reason why Pavelski has scored so many goals the past couple seasons.

Without him we are much, much worse.
Of course he's still an important player. But he's not what he was a few years back. I think his two way game, which has always been underrated, is starting to slip.

This is part of the Sharks problem. Read between the lines of the comments from yesterday. We've got Logan Couture ready to lead this team through his prime, but we're not willing to let him because Jumbo is here. If Joe wants to stay here, he should. But my vote right now would be to keep McLellan and give Couture the C. Joe can get in line or not--his call.

calder

Speaking of jobs, here's the view from the break room in our new office:

Q5UWeWj.jpg

Niiiice. And yeah holy shit you're close to my office now, about a block. Is that actually in the new Alt hotel building or on the other side of Donald like where MEC is? I assumed the Alt isn't open yet but some levels could be, I heard the lobby is done.

fallout

Niiiice. And yeah holy shit you're close to my office now, about a block. Is that actually in the new Alt hotel building or on the other side of Donald like where MEC is? I assumed the Alt isn't open yet but some levels could be, I heard the lobby is done.
Yep. It's in the same building as the ALT. We're in the office on the second floor where the condos are going in. I can see the MEC logo from my desk. I don't think the ALT is open, though. It's still a bit of a construction zone in the hallway outside our office. Guys were drilling stuff in the washrooms while I was in there.

calder

Yep. It's in the same building as the ALT. We're in the office on the second floor where the condos are going in. I can see the MEC logo from my desk. I don't think the ALT is open, though. It's still a bit of a construction zone in the hallway outside our office. Guys were drilling stuff in the washrooms while I was in there.

I live down the street on Donald, and my wife and I were driving past it yesterday and saw the construction which led to us debating whether or not any tenants had moved in. So weird I can confirm it with her now lol.

Based on the renders I thought that building was going to look awful, but the actual texture of the stone slabs looks not bad. It's not a gorgeous building or anything and I'm not crazy about that yellow accent thing but the rest looks kinda cool now. We'll see when the facade is 100% I guess

zroid

Banned
Of course he's still an important player. But he's not what he was a few years back. I think his two way game, which has always been underrated, is starting to slip.

This is part of the Sharks problem. Read between the lines of the comments from yesterday. We've got Logan Couture ready to lead this team through his prime, but we're not willing to let him because Jumbo is here. If Joe wants to stay here, he should. But my vote right now would be to keep McLellan and give Couture the C. Joe can get in line or not--his call.

awful. I won't stand for this. it's sad when even the fans are turning on Jumbo, as if Doug Wilson's asshattery wasn't bad enough.

If his defensive game has slipped then so has everyone else's because his CA/60 was the lowest of anyone on the team this season.

his offensive game was also the best of anyone on the Sharks this year (measured by CF/60)... by an even wider margin. He's simultaneously the best Shark at suppressing shots AND creating shots. That's comparable to Bergeron and Toews in terms of two-way effectiveness.

His On-Ice Sh% was stupidly low this year (6.75%) compared to his career average and in spite of that his Pts/60 was the 4th highest on the team, indicative of how effective he is. Most years it has been over 9% (it only dipped to 8% in 2011-2012). Expect that to rebound next year.

Thornton is old as fuck and he's still one of the best players in the NHL. Fuck "leadership" and all that other bullshit. He's awesome, and that's all that matters.

calder

awful. I won't stand for this. it's sad when even the fans are turning on Jumbo, as if Doug Wilson's asshattery wasn't bad enough.

If his defensive game has slipped then so has everyone else's because his CA/60 was the lowest of anyone on the team this season.

his offensive game was also the best of anyone on the Sharks this year (measured by CF/60)... by an even wider margin. He's simultaneously the best Shark at suppressing shots AND creating shots. That's comparable to Bergeron and Toews in terms of two-way effectiveness.

His On-Ice Sh% was stupidly low this year (6.75%) compared to his career average and in spite of that his Pts/60 was the 4th highest on the team, indicative of how effective he is. Most years it has been over 9% (it only dipped to 8% in 2011-2012). Expect that to rebound next year.

Thornton is old as fuck and he's still one of the best players in the NHL. Fuck "leadership" and all that other bullshit. He's awesome, and that's all that matters.

<3 zroid. I love your use of analytics, and you're 100% correct about Thornton. The only legit reason I can think of for Sharks fans to want to get rid of him vs the GM/coach is that he's old enough that he'll be gone in a couple of years anyway.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Aww. :(

I'd say I'll subcontract you to come take my job for a couple of hours but I realized 80% of what I've done today is surf the internet so maybe I should just dry my tears at being sleepy and soldier on through. ;)

You can subcontract me to surf the web for you so you can work! lol

Being laid off sucks.

Cat Party

You don't need to convince me that Jumbo is still really good. But he's not literally carrying the offense anymore. And I think he's gotten himself in the way of the team getting over its problems now. I want him to be a Shark next season, but not at the expense of the team's overall success.

The two best players on the team gave totally different vibes yesterday. Jumbo suggests that McLellan isn't wanted by the team. Couture says the players are the problem. Pretty easy to see where the locker room divide is.

zroid

Banned
You don't need to convince me that Jumbo is still really good. But he's not literally carrying the offense anymore. And I think he's gotten himself in the way of the team getting over its problems now. I want him to be a Shark next season, but not at the expense of the team's overall success.

The two best players on the team gave totally different vibes yesterday. Jumbo suggests that McLellan isn't wanted by the team. Couture says the players are the problem. Pretty easy to see where the locker room divide is.

Listen. Forget about the locker room crap; it's meaningless. When teams lose they have locker room problems. When they win everything is rosy.

The only reason the Sharks missed the playoffs this year is because Wilson made a series of bad decisions in the offseason. To a large extent Thornton does still carry the offence. Couture is good but he's just not on that level, frankly.

I don't know about TMac, he's been a great coach for years but this season was a little puzzling. He's probably getting fired regardless so it doesn't matter. Believe it or not the Sharks aren't really far off from returning to "contender" status, and if nothing else this season gave some of the young guys a chance to develop a bit more. I'm not sure what's going to happen next season but I guarantee trading Jumbo is not a solution to anything.

Pikma

Banned
I was supposed to be busy at school with exams and shit today, but I have a broken finger so I am allowed to give no shits and stay at home. YES

Foggy

I'm still feeling the withdrawals so I'm just watching the exit press conference from JD and Jarmo and then I'm sure I'll watch the Todd Richards one. 6 months...

Oh, and I can't wait for Oliver Bjorkstrand to get his chance

Not really. Jumbo runs this team's offense and he has since he got here. His possession stats are dominant and he is a big reason why Pavelski has scored so many goals the past couple seasons.

Without him we are much, much worse.

lol if Pavs becomes the next Cheechoo.

Top Bottom