• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Sanjuro

qYQ6pM0.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers lineup against Philly tonight:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Stalberg-Hayes-Fast
Etem-Moore-Stoll

McDonagh-Girardi
Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Boyle

Raanta
Lundqvist

Raanta is scheduled to play the full game tonight.

Canucks lines tonight:

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen
Baerstchi-Vey-Vrbata
McCann-Sutter-Burrows
Kenins-Cracknell-Grenier

Hutton-Fedun
Hamhuis-Corrado
Sbisa-Weber

Markstrom
Bachman

Cassels and Jensen were sent to Utica. Virtanen, Gaunce, McCann, Grenier, and Kenins are left.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Canucks lines tonight:

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen
Baerstchi-Vey-Vrbata
McCann-Sutter-Burrows
Kenins-Cracknell-Grenier

Hutton-Fedun
Hamhuis-Corrado
Sbisa-Weber

Markstrom
Bachman

Cassels and Jensen were sent to Utica. Virtanen, Gaunce, McCann, Grenier, and Kenins are left.

That top 6 looks like it'll be a lot of fun. That D, though...

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Stalberg-Hayes-Fast
Etem-Moore-Stoll

McDonagh-Girardi
Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Boyle

Raanta
Lundqvist

Pretty much is your NHL lineup right?

Oh wait, where's Glass

zroid

Banned
Is there a more egregious example in the league than Girardi of a bottom pair defenceman consistently given top pair minutes?

Stasis

Langdon AMA.

That was interesting. Some funny stories too. A lot of similar questions and obviously he's avoiding anything that criticizes specific refs or reffing in general, though he does freely admit mistakes and trying to avoid make up calls. He's pretty open about most things.

He's also clearly old school and pro toffnezz but its still interesting to see him say that players absolutely need to be able to police themselves and fight it out sometimes. I'm no goon lover, I'm glad they're mostly all gone, but I agree with this. Game is changing, sure, but some people seem to want zero fighting. I think we still need some tougher guys who can play the game well but stand up for teammates. Even good players and stars do dumb shit that requires a response occasionally.

In Ranger fan speak: Glass no, McIlrath pls.

Is there a more egregious example in the league than Girardi of a bottom pair defenceman consistently given top pair minutes?

While I'll agree he's no #2 at this point, going by last year there really isn't a set top pair. Everyone's getting a lot of minutes shared out between them. Depends on the game, obviously, but that's one advantage we have. Not having to overuse any one particular guy or pair. We're clearly stronger down the left side, even if most guys were underwhelming at key moments last season/playoffs. Boyles a little old to take the most RH minutes. Klein can't be the top RH, and McIlrath (if he sticks) still needs to be eased in and probably will never be that guy. McD can play right, maybe we'll see some of that. AV loves the L/R setup through the 6 though. I'd love a relatively young RH PMD but that shit ain't easy to get.

That top 6 looks like it'll be a lot of fun. That D, though...

Hutton has looked good but I'm not sure if he can crack the line-up. Any blueline without Edler or Tanev will be porous.

Will be interesting to see how Virtanen plays with the Sedins and how McCann looks on the wing.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

What happened to Giardi? I thought he was good?

Hutton has looked good but I'm not sure if he can crack the line-up. Any blueline without Edler or Tanev will be porous.

Will be interesting to see how Virtanen plays with the Sedins and how McCann looks on the wing.

I've loved what I've seen from Hutton, but I can't see him cracking the lineup ahead of Corrado, Sbisa, Weber, and Bartkowski. He's still raw and will benefit from a year in Utica.

I'm curious about Virtanen with the Sedins, but I'm not entirely sure his playstyle will suit their game. He's not the most cerebral/puck possession-type player in the world. McCann would probably be a better fit with the Twins.

Baertschi-Vey-Vrbata should produce a lot of action at both ends of the ice, which'll be fun.

zroid

Banned
While I'll agree he's no #2 at this point, going by last year there really isn't a set top pair. Everyone's getting a lot of minutes shared out between them. Depends on the game, obviously, but that's one advantage we have. Not having to overuse any one particular guy or pair. We're clearly stronger down the left side, even if most guys were underwhelming at key moments last season/playoffs. Boyles a little old to take the most RH minutes. Klein can't be the top RH, and McIlrath (if he sticks) still needs to be eased in and probably will never be that guy. McD can play right, maybe we'll see some of that. AV loves the L/R setup through the 6 though. I'd love a relatively young RH PMD but that shit ain't easy to get.
I mean, I do buy that you guys don't have fixed pairings. But Girardi still got the 2nd most 5v5 minutes per game of any NYR D-man last season. That's bad.

imBask

Banned
I think it's fairly obvious by now that the Nordiques are what's gonna get me banned on HFBoards at some point in the future

fuck the nordiques, fuck quebec city

I think it's fairly obvious by now that the Nordiques are what's gonna get me banned on HFBoards at some point in the future

fuck the nordiques, fuck quebec city

When the Nordiques fail again, will that make Quebec as one of the two cities that has lost an NHL franchise more than once?

I think Atlanta is the other.

Socreges

Banned
Canucks lines tonight:

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen
Baerstchi-Vey-Vrbata
McCann-Sutter-Burrows
Kenins-Cracknell-Grenier

Hutton-Fedun
Hamhuis-Corrado
Sbisa-Weber

Markstrom
Bachman

So how many spots are even available?

Looks like:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Sutter - Vey
Burrows - Horvat - Hansen
Dorsett - ??? - Prust
13th:???

With Higgins injured, there are two spots then.

Guys who could go either way:

Cracknell, Virtanen, Gaunce, McCann, Grenier, and Kenins.

Cracknell and Higgins are wingers. They'd probably move Vey to center instead of giving Gaunce and McCann legitimate shots.

Curufinwe

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Stalberg-Hayes-Fast
Etem-Moore-Stoll

McDonagh-Girardi
Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Boyle

Raanta
Lundqvist

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
20 R.J. Umberger - 89 Sam Gagner - 17 Wayne Simmonds
24 Matt Read - 40 Vincent Lecavalier - 10 Brayden Schenn
76 Chris VandeVelde - 49 Scott Laughton - 25 Ryan White

55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
47 Andrew MacDonald - 3 Radko Gudas
23 Brandon Manning - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Lines 2-4 are scrambled because of the injury to Couturier and Bellemare being rested. Gagner has previously played LW and RW, so this is his first game for Philly in the middle.

MDZ and Medvedev (the usual 2nd pairing) are also being rested.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So how many spots are even available?

Looks like:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Sutter - Vey
Burrows - Horvat - Hansen
Dorsett - ??? - Prust
13th:???

With Higgins injured, there are two spots then.

Guys who could go either way:

Cracknell, Virtanen, Gaunce, McCann, Grenier, and Kenins.

Cracknell and Higgins are wingers. They'd probably move Vey to center instead of giving Gaunce and McCann legitimate shots.

I'd much rather see Horvat centering the 2nd line, honestly.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Horvat-Vey
Baertschi-Virtanen(okay maybe not)-Hansen
Dorsett-Sutter-Prust

with Higgins healthy they could conceivably put Vey at center, yes.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Horvat-Baertschi
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Dorsett-Sutter-Prust

?

... let's not talk about our defense, ever, please.

Socreges

Banned
I'd much rather see Horvat centering the 2nd line, honestly.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Horvat-Vey
Baertschi-Virtanen(okay maybe not)-Hansen
Dorsett-Sutter-Prust

with Higgins healthy they could conceivably put Vey at center, yes.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Horvat-Baertschi
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Dorsett-Sutter-Prust

?

... let's not talk about our defense, ever, please.
Yeah, those lines weren't what I wanted nor what I expect. Just throwing up the bodies that will definitely be there.

13th forward will probably be Cracknell or Kenins swapping with Vey or whoever on occasion. Virtanen might stay up to start the season until Higgins returns. Probably depends on how he does tonight.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
damn, Save on Foods is offering canucks tickets to purchase with rewards points. I didn't know those points could actually be used for something USEFUL! For those that didn't get the email:

Canucks Regular Season Tickets Available Online Only, 9 am PST Tuesday, September 29th, 2015.
Limit of 4 Tickets per Games per More Rewards card

Regular Games
FREE with 15,000 points or Pay $16 with 5300 points
• Sunday 22 Nov. 2015 Vs New Jersey Devils
• Monday 4 Jan. 2016 Vs Arizona Coyotes
• Wednesday 6 Jan. 2016 Vs Carolina Hurricanes
• Thursday 4 Feb. 2016 Vs Columbus Blue Jackets
• Monday 15 Feb. 2016 Vs Minnesota Wild
• Thursday 25 Feb. 2016 Vs Ottawa Senators
• Thursday 3 Mar. 2016 Vs San Jose Sharks
• Wednesday 16 Mar. 2016 Vs Colorado Avalanche

Regular Plus Games
FREE with 20,000 points or Pay $26 with 6500 points
• Monday 4 Apr. 2016 Vs LA Kings
• Monday 2 Nov. 2015 Vs Philadelphia Flyers
• Thursday 18 Feb. 2016 Vs Anaheim Ducks
• Saturday 12 Mar. 2016 Vs Nashville Predators

Premium Games
FREE with 31,000 points or Pay $43 with 13,000 points
• Saturday 10 Oct. 2015 Vs Calgary Flames
• Sunday 18 Oct. 2015 Vs Edmonton Oilers
•Wednesday 9 Dec. 2015 Vs New York Rangers
• Saturday 26 Dec. 2015 Vs Edmonton Oilers

Premium Plus Games
FREE with 36,000 points or Pay $47 with 15,000 points
• Tuesday 27 Oct. 2015 Vs Montreal Canadians
• Saturday 5 Dec. 2015 Vs Boston Bruins
•Saturday 9 Jan. 2016 Vs Tampa Bay Lightening
• Sunday 27 Mar. 2016 Vs Chicago Blackhawks

I have like, exactly 5300 points.... good enough. Sharks, Wild or Blue Jackets maybe?

Quick

Banned
From r/hockey.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/taylor-hall-will-be-next-captain-of-the-edmonton-oilers-says-former-oiler-georges-laraque?hootPostID=f479269094f85fb98c79abdd0658143d

“By the way, Bob, I heard (Andrew) Ference is taking off his ‘C’,” Laraque said suddenly during the interview. “Who is going to be the captain in Edmonton?”

Stauffer: “Who told you that?”

“I heard that, well, on the vine that the coach in Edmonton was talking that he was going to have a new captain.”

“When did he discuss that, Georges?”

“We’re heard that a while ago in the media. They haven’t changed (captains)? They haven’t done anything? Is Ference still the captain?”

“Not officially,” Stauffer replied. “Just T.B.A. (to be announced) on the captaincy issue at this time, Georges. Let’s leave it at that for today…”

“No, but Bob I can pretty much announce to everybody who it’s going to be,” Laraque said. “I already know. In Montreal we know everything.”

“Who is it going to be?”

“It’s going to be Taylor Hall.”

“Oilers insider Georges Laraque out of Montreal, former Oilers player!” Stauffer piped up . “We shall see.”

“You know it, too. You work with the team. I know you can’t say it, you just can’t say anything, but you know yourself,” Laraques said.

Top Bottom