• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

zroid

Banned
I would be happy if the Leafs select Cliff Pu, I really like his game, but not in the freaking 1st round like the Sportsnet crew keep hinting at :lol

maybe 3rd or 4th

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Just for the hell of it

If you counted those 2 memorial cup games as part of Marner's playoffs, he would have beaten the OHL playoff scoring record, while still playing 1 less game than the current 2 record holders... also would have beat McDavid's run by 4 point with same GP

Why did they have to sweep their last 3 series lol

Would not surprised me if TSN is getting better ratings from Raptors playoffs + WJC games than Sportsnet with NHL playoffs.

Well Sportsnet is showing some of the games too but yeah for sure.

I wonder how TSN feels paying all that money for Sens regional TV rights and the cheapass owner still won't improve the team lol.

ShaneB

No shit the Raptors playoff run would get bigger numbers than the NHL playoffs.

Only Canadian team in the league making a deep playoff run vs no Canadian teams?

What crazy logic.

Next you'll tell me the Blue Jays playoff run probably got better ratings than these NHL playoffs! Crazy!

Cake Boss

Banned
watch-out-guys-we-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg

yyzjohn

Banned
Just for the hell of it

If you counted those 2 memorial cup games as part of Marner's playoffs, he would have beaten the OHL playoff scoring record, while still playing 1 less game than the current 2 record holders... also would have beat McDavid's run by 4 point with same GP

Why did they have to sweep their last 3 series lol

Put it back in your pants Dopey.

Socreges

Banned
No shit the Raptors playoff run would get bigger numbers than the NHL playoffs.

Only Canadian team in the league making a deep playoff run vs no Canadian teams?

What crazy logic.

Next you'll tell me the Blue Jays playoff run probably got better ratings than these NHL playoffs! Crazy!
You tell em

zroid

Banned
I have nothing against the CFL or Canadian football rules, I just find the stakes painfully low to get invested in

curious to see how the Argos are received at BMO Field

imBask

Banned
I have nothing against the CFL or Canadian football rules, I just find the stakes painfully low to get invested in

Hopefully the Argos will destroy the field and that'll hurt TFC :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

When you grow up with it, especially the Riders, the stakes are high. Other than when Gretzky was involved with the Argos, the team has been poorly supported. Doesn't help the fact Toronto the city thinks so highly of itself and wants an NFL team.

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah I know the CFL is pretty big out in the prairies but I don't know anybody east of Ontario that gives a shit about that league. They had some exhibition games out here a few years ago as an experimental thing and nobody went to them.

Parch

Is there somewhere that shows Canadian TV ratings? I'm curious. I've heard that NHL playoff ratings are way down, but I'm not going to assume that basketball ratings are better. Outside of Ontario, NBA ratings have always been piss poor.

Canada is hockey. There's been the Junior playoffs and the Worlds also competing for ratings. World Cup ratings will be very good. Logical that NHL playoffs would be getting major declines, but that's a decline from levels miles ahead of any other sport.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
The CFL hate makes me sad. It can really be great. Glad it is strong in the west.

I have a fondness for the CFL, though I'm don't like football. Mostly because my dad was a huge fan. He had seasons tickets to the Argos for years. My brother is a big fan too.

imBask

Banned
Is there somewhere that shows Canadian TV ratings? I'm curious. I've heard that NHL playoff ratings are way down, but I'm not going to assume that basketball ratings are better. Outside of Ontario, NBA ratings have always been piss poor.

Canada is hockey. There's been the Junior playoffs and the Worlds also competing for ratings. World Cup ratings will be very good. Logical that NHL playoffs would be getting major declines, but that's a decline from levels miles ahead of any other sport.

Montreal is like 6h away from Toronto and other than PK Subban, no one is talking about the Raptors here.

Entropia

No One Remembers

TFC Fans aren't really happy about it, I know they much. They're worried they'll ruin the pitch.

But, I do prefer the CFL to the NFL. I'm going to try to make it out to a Ti-Cats or Argos game sometime this year.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'll assume if the raptors make the finals, a good chunk of the country will be watching just for the novelty of it like the blue jays in the early 90s

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have a fondness for the CFL, though I'm don't like football. Mostly because my dad was a huge fan. He had seasons tickets to the Argos for years. My brother is a big fan too.

My Dad was a big fan too. He used to get so mad at the Riders, haha. He was also a Leafs fan so that was a source of frustration too.

When I go back to Regina I like going to games with my brothers. Regina's new stadium looks fantastic.

Parch

The CFL was way better in the 70's and 80's. I haven't watched much since then. The overall talent level now is so bad compared to the NFL.

Quick

Banned
When I had cable, I would have CFL games on TV just in the background. I don't hate the CFL, but I don't find the league as a whole very compelling, despite TSN's attempts at trying to weave stories for it.

The fanbase for the Argos in Toronto seem to be in hiding, only popping up during games. I don't see Argos merch being displayed or worn in the frequency of Raptors, Jays, and Leafs merch.

I went to an Argos game once a few years ago, and there seemed to have been enough to fill up enough seats at the 100- and 200-level at the Rogers Centre to make it look crowded at least.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
My Dad was a big fan too. He used to get so mad at the Riders, haha. He was also a Leafs fan so that was a source of frustration too.

When I go back to Regina I like going to games with my brothers. Regina's new stadium looks fantastic.

When my dad died, he already had that season's tickets. My brother went to a couple of games that he was able to. The first one he went to, he talked to the lady who had season tickets next to my dad. She said she knew something was wrong when he had missed so many games and almost called the Argos office to try to find out what happened.

It should be interesting with them in BMO Field.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Riders merch sales were only behind the Habs and Leafs. It is weird when you Riders fans at random sporting events in the States.

The refs are downside in the CFL. Too many calls last season.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When my dad died, he already had that season's tickets. My brother went to a couple of games that he was able to. The first one he went to, he talked to the lady who had season tickets next to my dad. She said she knew something was wrong when he had missed so many games and almost called the Argos office to try to find out what happened.

It should be interesting with them in BMO Field.

:(

When my Dads health started to decline he lost interest I'm going to games live. My brother still has season tickets which is nice. Takes his son to games now.

One of the problems in the CFL is that it's an 8-team league and 6 of them make the playoffs. While it can make for some great comeback stories (the Lions went 0-5 or something and won it all one year) it really kills any regular season suspense. Make it 4 teams and do away with the bye.

Here in Vancouver the Lions are competing with the Canucks, Whitecaps, and even the Seahawks. The Whitecaps are more popular with young people, play a fast up-tempo game, and have seen success since entering MLS (finished 2nd in the conference last year). Meanwhile the Lions haven't won the Grey Cup since 2011 and have been an average team since, while most of their fans are older and from the suburbs.

EDIT: also the rules haven't helped. Only three downs will limit offensive opportunities.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
When I had cable, I would have CFL games on TV just in the background. I don't hate the CFL, but I don't find the league as a whole very compelling, despite TSN's attempts at trying to weave stories for it.

The fanbase for the Argos in Toronto seem to be in hiding, only popping up during games. I don't see Argos merch being displayed or worn in the frequency of Raptors, Jays, and Leafs merch.

I went to an Argos game once a few years ago, and there seemed to have been enough to fill up enough seats at the 100- and 200-level at the Rogers Centre to make it look crowded at least.

The Blue Jays fucking nailed the merchandising. The blue hat with the red maple leaf is iconic now.

Argos have an ugly blue colour, and fairly lame logo. I don't see much Raptors stuff either where I am, but I have respect for anyone donning something with the purple colour scheme.

Silexx

Well Sportsnet is showing some of the games too but yeah for sure.

I wonder how TSN feels paying all that money for Sens regional TV rights and the cheapass owner still won't improve the team lol.

Actually, I think they feel pretty good about it, because the Sens draw pretty good regionally and since TSN doesn't get playoff games, they don't really care if the team makes the post-season.

calder

Yeah, it's a mystery right now. Some people act like the NBA is making big strides but even a year ago Canada wide the interest in basketball was below the CFL and a fraction of what hockey and the NFL had. Baseball was much higher, even before the Jays playoff run (which may or may not have a lasting impact on viewing habits).

I'd assume conference-finals playoff games against Lebron would be record setting in Canada but would that equal a random Saturday night Leafs/Habs game in January?

Parch

The CFL has always been NFL leftovers, and that talent pool has seen it's ups and downs. NFL expansion, NFL Europe, Indoor football, USFL, XFL, colleges ending their football programs. The available talent for the CFL isn't what it used to be. Still plenty of diehard fans, but the quality of the product isn't what it used to be either.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah, it's a mystery right now. Some people act like the NBA is making big strides but even a year ago Canada wide the interest in basketball was below the CFL and a fraction of what hockey and the NFL had. Baseball was much higher, even before the Jays playoff run (which may or may not have a lasting impact on viewing habits).

I'd assume conference-finals playoff games against Lebron would be record setting in Canada but would that equal a random Saturday night Leafs/Habs game in January?

Basketball is making baby steps in Canada.

From when I was a kid until now it has come a long way. More Canadians are making it to the NCAA, more Canadians are getting drafted to the NBA and this is all thanks to Vince Carter and the run he had with the Raps 15ish years ago.

The hope is now with this run we'll see another generation of Canadians grow up loving the sport as well but again it's going to take a decade or more to see the benefit from this.

As for ratings these playoffs was the first time the Raps had viewership over 1 million. They've outdrew a few playoff games this year in the same week.

Last I remember a Raps broadcast drew 1.5 million which was a new record. Regular season we're probably doing around 100-300k at most.

Top Bottom