• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

I think a lot of you have the right idea about Warcraft. I'm a huge Warcraft fan, ranging back from a kid getting up at 5am to play the original RTS on our Pentium 100mhz PC through to playing through the most recent WoW xpac with my best mate. So I'll be keen to see it, with VERY LOW expectations, and expecting to come out satisfied.

Kind of the same way of dealing with Pacific Rim really.

Some say apples and oranges, but those who took Pacific Rim seriously really lost out.

Kind of helps that I've got a huge mancrush on Travis Fimmel.

At least he didn't spend 100k to be beside his trophy.

cakey :')

Michael Russo, Wild writer, was on his podcast earlier this week and said the Wild are going to go hard after Stepan, who is available. Also going to go after Bjugstad, but he isn't quite as available. Basically what was said already, but nice to hear it again. I'd enjoy the hell out of getting Stepan.

He then went on to say that Florida's situation is up in the air and it's so strange what is going on down there this week and that he talked to several GMs and AGMs over the last week or so and they all made fun of Florida hardcore. They're basically a laughing stock now among NHL circles.

EDIT: :lol now he's ripping on Kessel. That he is horrible to interview because he made Russo incredibly nervous and sick to his stomach because Kessel just doesn't answer anything. He's shy and has nothing really to say. :lol :lol :lol

Laughing at the Florida Faithful is amazingly unfair and childish.

Coyotes fans are like, right there*.

getting drafted first overall by the Leafs

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Michael Russo, Wild writer, was on his podcast earlier this week and said the Wild are going to go hard after Stepan, who is available. Also going to go after Bjugstad, but he isn't quite as available. Basically what was said already, but nice to hear it again. I'd enjoy the hell out of getting Stepan.
Just to be clear, Stepan is "available" in the sense that all the Rangers are "available." They can be had for the right price.

Expect the Rangers to want Brodin + picks and/or prospects.

Just to be clear, Stepan is "available" in the sense that all the Rangers are "available." They can be had for the right price.

Expect the Rangers to want Brodin + picks and/or prospects.

Oh yeah, I know that is how it really is, but the way Russo spoke on the podcast was that Stepan is specifically being shopped this summer apparently.

Brodin + picks is doable. Definitely doable.

He then went on to say that Florida's situation is up in the air and it's so strange what is going on down there this week and that he talked to several GMs and AGMs over the last week or so and they all made fun of Florida hardcore. They're basically a laughing stock now among NHL circles.

I respect Russo a lot but if he talking about Luce being let go, it was a long time coming. He was with the org for 14 years and here are the 1st round picks before Tallon got here:

Horton (3)
Weiss (4)
JayBo (3)
Olesz (7)
Mcardle (20)
Ellerby (10)
A. Stewart (25)
Taticek (9)
Frolik (10)
Kulikov (14)

0 Stars, 1 very good, 3 good, 6 busts.

One of the largest reasons we sucked was the drafting was terrible. Once Tallon came in he was a much better judge of talent and the picks improved greatly. Luce was a terrible head scout for this team and it was November where he was actually moved from scouting to player personnel. Speaking of November, that is when Lawrence+Weissbock (money puck people) were brought in and began their work. The changes were definitely not out of the blue.

My read on it (and people closer to the team) is that Viola wanted to move management into a structure like Tor, where there is a lot of debate on moves. Remember Viola owns a trading company so I think he wants to structure the team to have more debate and information to make the best moves. Rowe describes how the trade for Gudbranson went down:

CjZahRuUkAEIaho.jpg

As a Panther fan I am skeptical and will take the wait and see approach to see if this all works out. The Smith-Hayes trade was done heavily with analytics so I think this all works out in the end.

Can't go to AHL, it's either NHL or junior
Dvorak is in his D+2 though so he for sure will go to the AHL at the very least.

So NHL. He is way to good to stay in juniors another year. It's the same situation Provy is in. Just gotta call them up at this point.

So NHL. He is way to good to stay in juniors another year. It's the same situation Provy is in. Just gotta call them up at this point.

Which is so dumb. Are they good enough to play in the NHL? Possibly. But their development is almost assuredly going to be better if they went to the AHL for at least a little bit.

Biggest thing that I think will come out of moving the draft age to 19 is that once a player is drafted, they can play wherever the NHL team wants. CHL, AHL, whatever. At least I hope they change that part of it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Which is so dumb. Are they good enough to play in the NHL? Possibly. But their development is almost assuredly going to be better if they went to the AHL for at least a little bit.

Biggest thing that I think will come out of moving the draft age to 19 is that once a player is drafted, they can play wherever the NHL team wants. CHL, AHL, whatever. At least I hope they change that part of it.

CHL says they are against it.

They're thinking of creating a senior league as a place to put those prospects... Which is going to fuck the AHL so hard

Samyy

Honestly I wouldn't mind another "senior" development league because it seems like the AHL really doesn't take player safety seriously at all. Not sure why the fuck they don't, if I was a GM I'm not thrilled with my 18-22 year prospects being at risk of getting cheap shotted on any given night by some 30 year old goon for whom the NHL dream died long ago.

Top Bottom