• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

imBask

Banned
Seriously though i'm a little worried about the state of the Canadiens in Montreal.

10 years ago we got a great marketing push and it became "cool" again to like the Habs, the number of jerseys and t-shirts you would see just walking around was off the chart, and during the playoffs EVERYONE had the little flag thing on their cars

I have seen exactly 0 flags so far this year, and 1 jersey yesterday coming home from work. My dad told me he was at La Cage au Sport (popular sports restaurant) and it was half empty... You had to be there HOURS in advance for a regular season game back then.

might be a little anecdotal and I might be wrong, but I feel like there's 5% hype and 95% old farts "yeah but back in the 70s" cynicism

Jays are 1-7 and Leafs playing playoff game tonight, I imagine the Jays attendance will be stellar tonight.

I've selected Jacoby as the guy the Jays need to sacrifice to the beisbol deities. Jays batters were k machines last year, and they're k machines again this year. Something is off. <cough>MartinSmoakGoinsBarneyarentgoinganywhere<cough>

Solo

Seriously though i'm a little worried about the state of the Canadiens in Montreal.

10 years ago we got a great marketing push and it became "cool" again to like the Habs, the number of jerseys and t-shirts you would see just walking around was off the chart, and during the playoffs EVERYONE had the little flag thing on their cars

I have seen exactly 0 flags so far this year, and 1 jersey yesterday coming home from work. My dad told me he was at La Cage au Sport (popular sports restaurant) and it was half empty... You had to be there HOURS in advance for a regular season game back then.

might be a little anecdotal and I might be wrong, but I feel like there's 5% hype and 95% old farts "yeah but back in the 70s" cynicism

Dude I was at Habs/Bruins Game 3 in 2014 and there were jerseys everywhere, thousands of people outside the Bell Centre, and La Cage was lined up down the street. Amazing atmosphere all day long, even well before the game. After the game (they won), people were chanting everywhere, cars honking horns, flags waving, etc. It was insane. I'm sure that hasn't died in 3 years.

yyzjohn

Banned

La Cage au Sport heh. I remember being in Boucherville years and years ago having beer and wieners in batter and they were playing an old Habs / Nordiques game replay. A french guy says to me "you know...dis game isn't happening right now..dis is a replay!" and I'm thinking "no shit buddy"...lol. Funny enough, everyone in the place was cheering on the Habs goals as if the game was actually happening.

Sounds like entitlement

Quick

Banned
Imbask, if it helps, I've only seen one car with a Leafs flag in my area.

In terms of jerseys, probably none. But I do see a lot of Leafs gear in general - hoodies, shirts, and hats.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Imbask, if it helps, I've only seen one car with a Leafs flag in my area.

In terms of jerseys, probably none. But I do see a lot of Leafs gear in general - hoodies, shirts, and hats.

the leafs merchandise machine is a little behind right now

Ricker

Things will pick up if they beat New York...and ''yeah but back in the 70's''...dude,you cant argue with a team that lost 8 games all season...8 fucking games...this will probably never happen again ever lol ;)

imBask

Banned
i'm like Drift King

except I can't drift because it's a FWD
and I gotta be careful about the potholes
and my car is slow
and we can't turn right on a red light

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
i'm like Drift King

except I can't drift because it's a FWD
and I gotta be careful about the potholes
and my car is slow
and we can't turn right on a red light

Wait, you cant turn right at a red in Montreal? How unsurprisingly European.

Also, I've had to drive through Richmond in the snow. I've seen some shit.

I'm against putting any shit on cars be it stickers, flags, etc. *old man yells at cloud

Did they use to put them on horse carriages?

Quick

Banned
https://twitter.com/HennyTweets/status/852546048463691776

@HennyTweets said:
Leaf defence this morning
Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner-Polak
Marincin-Carrick
Andersen starts
#tmltalk

19YMy.gif

calder

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
15m
Mike Babcock: "If I'm not mistaken four road teams won last night, right?"

Translation: Matthews hat trick. Marner hat trick. Nylander hat trick. Leafs win, 10-0 (Kadri with 1G). A shaken Ovechkin retires during second intermission to focus on the upcoming PyeongChang Olympics.

yyzjohn

Banned
Translation: Matthews hat trick. Marner hat trick. Nylander hat trick. Leafs win, 10-0 (Kadri with 1G). A shaken Ovechkin retires during second intermission to focus on the upcoming PyeongChang Olympics.

I think Babcock's a bit slow on the uptake here. Given that 4 road teams won last night, I think the law of averages probably means more home teams will win tonight.

Top Bottom