• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

Other than the goal, what does it matter if the play wasn't called dead? I get tending to an injury, I don't want to sound heartless, but The injury already happened. Did they call him out for not wearing a face cage? He came back in the game wearing a damn face shield. He should've wore it before!!

Edit : mentioned before, anytime a helmet comes off any player the play should be called dead. Imagine the firestorm of a player getting seriously injured because he was skating around with no helmet and the play kept going.

While I agree that it's a meaningless argument since stopping the game had no effect on player safety, the NHL considers a full face shield to be a danger to opposing players and only allows players with injuries to wear them.

Regardless it sucks since Werenski is awesome and it's unfortunate that he's done for the year. Dude is a warrior. Glad he didn't make it worse.

Socreges

Banned
Other than the goal, what does it matter if the play wasn't called dead? I get tending to an injury, I don't want to sound heartless, but The injury already happened. Did they call him out for not wearing a face cage? He came back in the game wearing a damn face shield. He should've wore it before!!

Edit : mentioned before as another example, anytime a helmet comes off any player the play should be called dead. Imagine the firestorm of a player getting seriously injured because he was skating around with no helmet and the play kept going.
Seems like common sense to me. If it's a serious injury, such as a puck to the face and the player writhing on the ice, you blow the play dead to:

a) prioritize the safety of the player over the game
b) avoid the player being hit while they're in a vulnerable state
c) ensure they can get help as quickly as possible

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, Rangers lineup being shown in practice today:

Vesey-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Miller-Hayes-Zuccarello
Grabner-Lindberg-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Holden
Skjei-Smith

Tanner Glass was also rotating drills with Buchnevich, but since Buchnevich was on PP1 during special teams drills, it looks like he's in.

Looks good to me.* That's a potentially lethal 4th line, and the early season KZB line was easily the best unit we saw all season long, but their time together was cut short due to Buchnevich and Zibanejad getting injured.

*Ignoring the defense, of course.

Foggy

Hockey was a mistake. Werenski never should have gone back out with a broken fucking face.

Of course the narrative is going to be 19 YEAR OLD HOCKEY WARRIOR TUFF. Fuck it. Burn the season.

Slurmer

Banned
How is NHL-GAF enjoying the 'yoffs so far?

I don't really post here anymore since the Flyers became more boring to watch than New Jersey.

So, uhhhh, how about that Crosby eh? What a player.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Colin Wilson still isn't skating. Not that the Preds should change anything given the glorious blowout last game, but still really concerning.

If I was coach I would.

Thats why i posted so early

CakeBoss isn't a coach and he told the Sens to win and they did it. by golly they did it for him.

Colin Wilson still isn't skating. Not that the Preds should change anything given the glorious blowout last game, but still really concerning.

Not skating but put his legs up on a table to relax.

I hope Chicago makes it competitive though

Mentok

Banned
What furries do for "fun."

Made me laugh.

giphy.gif

PillarEN

Canadian media is gonna be going nuts if their teams pull through tonight.

What is a good site to catch some video highlights and discussion besides TSN which is extremely Canada-centric (read: Toronto obsessed)? Not to mention I have to VPN to see TSN hockey videos. Why? Let the world have easier access to NHL highlights/talk.

ShaneB

While I agree that it's a meaningless argument since stopping the game had no effect on player safety, the NHL considers a full face shield to be a danger to opposing players and only allows players with injuries to wear them.

Regardless it sucks since Werenski is awesome and it's unfortunate that he's done for the year. Dude is a warrior. Glad he didn't make it worse.

Do you have a source for this? The idea that the NHL thinks face shields are dangerous to other players seems completely baffling and insane.

Seems like common sense to me. If it's a serious injury, such as a puck to the face and the player writhing on the ice, you blow the play dead to:

a) prioritize the safety of the player over the game
b) avoid the player being hit while they're in a vulnerable state
c) ensure they can get help as quickly as possible

I’m not disagreeing. It is common sense. The play should’ve been stopped dead to see if he was alright, just like any on-ice injury. I’m focused on the root cause of the injury, not the aftermath. If Werenski was hit in the eye, now permanently blind, what’s the bigger story? The play not being called dead, or why aren’t they wearing protection?

It should also be common sense to wear protective equipment that would stop a puck from destroying your face, but I guess that’s crazy talk. I hope these guys wear seatbelts.

Parch

The play should’ve been stopped dead to see if he was alright, just like any on-ice injury.
They leave it up to the refs discretion because it might take away a scoring chance for the opposition. Injury embellishment is a thing, especially if the guy sees the opposition on the way to an odd man rush.
In this particular case, it was poor discretion. A puck to the face like that should have been considered serious enough to stop play.

PillarEN

They leave it up to the refs discretion because it might take away a scoring chance for the opposition. Injury embellishment is a thing, especially if the guy sees the opposition on the way to an odd man rush.
In this particular case, it was poor discretion. A puck to the face like that should have been considered serious enough to stop play.

mikeribeirowrithinginpain.gif

sirronoh

I try not to evaluate things in hindsight when it comes to sports but before the first puck drop of game 1, my picks were:

Montreal > New York
Boston > Ottawa
Washington > Toronto
Pittsburgh > Columbus
Chicago > Nashville
St. Louis > Minnesota
Anaheim > Calgary
Edmonton > San Jose

At this point, all my picks are either tied or winning except Chicago (what the hell are they do?). At the time, I picked Washington to win it all based on the injuries the Penguins had (most notably Letang). I thought if the Penguins couldn't beat Washington, the Caps would have a clear shot to the cup.

Now though, after watching what the Penguins did to CBJ in three games, I'm thinking those injuries aren't that big of a deal and they have a legit shot to beat the Caps again and repeat. I'm having a hard time right now seeing a Western team that would be a favorite over the Penguins.

sirronoh

Not even playing bad, they'd be doing well against almost anyone else. Just that Pens transition stops any effort to pin them and get away from that run-n-gun.

Yeah I don't think Columbus is playing bad at all. In fact they're playing really well. It's just that the Penguins are clearly on a different level right now.

Top Bottom