• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

Holiday

Banned
I missed the fun last night I see. At least I'm ready for Blue Jackets Nation to #RiseUp and reverse sweep the Dirtguins tonight.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Habs had the 22nd best penalty kill in the NHL on the day Claude Julien took over. It's no. 1 in the NHL since then. 10/10 in the playoffs.

Been pretty key in this series so far

I still unironically love Torts as a coach:

i69M10l.jpg

Old man Torts doesn't like the crap they put on for music after a game? Lol.

Not down with Kung Fu Kenny?

Futureman

That was my impression after seeing the Hawks score this morning (minus the part about the Wild, who were never a threat to anyone). The loss of Letang (and to a lesser extent Murray) hurt the Pens, no doubt, but not enough to where they'd be beaten in a 7 game series by anyone other than the the Caps and Hawks. They just have too much firepower and everyone is clicking, including the kids (newsflash: Guentzel is a beast).

As fun as it was to watch them lose in OT again, I still think the Caps take that series. With the Hawks on the way out and Caps/Leafs probably going 7 the Pens chances look a lot better than they did a week ago.

I think you are correct... as fun as it is to watch the Caps flounder, I think they will still win this series. And I don't want to write the BJs off yet, but if Pens advance it will be hard to once again off the Cap for a 2nd year in a row. Eventually the Caps have to break through...

I guess though if the Leafs do manage to win, Caps might be a very different looking team next year. Will be interesting.

Cat Party

Watching those great games last night, I'm reminded how boring Sharks-Oilers has been. I blame the Sharks pathetic PP for sucking the life out of every game.

a916

Werenski out, the Blue Jackets are done.

Unless Bobrovsky figured out how to play like a goalie, but he hasn't shown it so far.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Man sometimes I forget that we have Julien again behind the bench. Then I remember, and it makes me happy.
The changes he's made to this team in such a short period of time have been striking, I'm already excited to see this team under him with a full training camp next season.

I put every remaining game in the Leafs Caps series at 50-50 for either team to win, and each game so far has looked like that as well. A really tight series all around. Goaltending equal, two great power plays etc.

Whoever comes out of it is going to be super worn down from a 6 or 7 game long overtime filled series and should be easy pickings for a Penguins team that will end their series tonight.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Trotz declares Washington will play their best game tomorrow

I'm not a psychologist but isn't adding more pressure a bad idea?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If the Caps players are that brittle that a quip to the media makes them quiver with fear then god help them lol.

the entire reason this is a series is because of expectations.

Caps are expected to win.

Leafs are just happy to be there and feel like they have something to prove.

The mindset of being the cup favorite is much like the infection of America: "temporarily embarrassed millionaires".

You don't fix what's wrong because you think you're on the right track.

Yawnier

Banned
Trotz declares Washington will play their best game tomorrow

I'm not a psychologist but isn't adding more pressure a bad idea?

Tbh I am expecting them to come out swinging tomorrow night, they're gonna be angry

I'm half expecting Wilson or someone else to take a run at Marner if things get worse for them.

imBask

Banned
Tbh I am expecting them to come out swinging tomorrow night, they're gonna be angry

I'm half expecting Wilson or someone else to take a run at Marner if things get worse for them.

Thankfully the Capitals "coming out swinging" is about as menacing as Russel Martin right now

I took a peek at Calgary Flames reddit to see how the mood was and you all will be happy to know that Calgary fans are very happy with how their team is playing.

It's the refs, you see, that are the problem. #peskyrefs

Patrick O'Sullivan says Norisson best player in the league :)

He's the McDavid of defencemen

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
A distinct strategy change from the Rangers today:

Steve Zipay‏ @stevezipay
Staal: "The feeling is: win the game, tie series. We’re kinda chomping at the bit to get after it. Our mindset is to go and win a game."
We're going to try to win tonight apparently. Capital idea, chaps.

PillarEN

the entire reason this is a series is because of expectations.

Caps are expected to win.

Leafs are just happy to be there and feel like they have something to prove.

The mindset of being the cup favorite is much like the infection of America: "temporarily embarrassed millionaires".

You don't fix what's wrong because you think you're on the right track.
I hear you. Sometimes things go awfully wrong for the heavyweight favorite. I just can't imagine that my coach saying we will play our best game being a problem. I remember people losing their minds when the Canucks went up 2-0 against the Wings. I don't remember if Bowman said they will play their best game or not. I just find it hard to believe that that group of players were going to be swayed by anything like that. They didn't care that at the moment they were "too old" "too many stars" "underachieving". They went on to win the next 4 games. I mean a Ovi lead team shouldn't be freaking out because they are down 2-1.

On the flip side the following year they got swept by Babcock's Duckies. But I wouldn't say it was because they were shaken about being the favorites in that series.

Edit: the one thing that would terrify me is if my goalie is not confident. I don't know how Holtby is feeling. I don't necessarily get that impression from him that he is doubting himself. But sure, who knows.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I bet Bernier starts Game 4.

Nah. The defense left Gibson out to dry 100% in the first half of the game, and two of the goals were odd deflections. It wasn't really his fault. Carlyle had to send a message to his team. Bernier did a good job and what he needed to do, but he didn't stand on his head.

Top Bottom