• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
Tonight, we are all Kave_Man!

iblqGQnU7TyIVJ.png

UberTag

I shaved earlier today. Can't let the Kings, Blackhawks and Ducks fans get an edge with that extra day's worth of growth.
It's all about having an even playing field. May the best beard win!

Samyy

Man I need a new avatar, I think I've been using this for the past two seasons
I guess I should focus on that instead of my interview!!

Tabris

I hate that there are two NHL threads in community OT now. Its not like the guys in the off season have anything to talk about until the playoffs are over.

except maybe tee times.

That's because we don't want to have to listen to Leafs fans talking in our playoff thread... oh wait... damn :(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Someone at my new work has Harlem Shake as their ringtone and it reminded me that the Leafs use it, smh.

Hey Quick, is it possible you could add a Playoffs symbol onto my avatar, similar to ShaneB's? I'll hate Winnipeg if you do :)

Tabris

Man, know what's kind of sad? The Leafs make the playoffs for the first time in a long time from all of Brian Burke's work and he's not able to reap any of the benefits. I feel bad for him.

What happens if the Maple Leafs go far? What did Dave Nonis do this year except not trade for Luongo (which Burke wasn't either)?

EDIT - Of course if Burke didn't trade for Kessell / Phanueff and had fired Wilson long before, they could have maybe been in the playoffs before.

EDIT - And of course who knows if they would have made it in a full season.

Quick

Banned
Man, know what's kind of sad? The Leafs make the playoffs for the first time in a long time from all of Brian Burke's work and he's not able to reap any of the benefits. I feel bad for him.

What happens if the Maple Leafs go far? What did Dave Nonis do this year except not trade for Luongo (which Burke wasn't either)?

EDIT - Of course if Burke didn't trade for Kessell / Phanueff and had fired Wilson long before, they could have maybe been in the playoffs before.

Dave Nonis did a ton of would-be GM work along with Burke. "Assistant GM" was a position in title-only. Guy's done plenty of work even before being named GM.

There's no need to make trades for the sake of making them (though, the O'Byrne trade seems pointless to me).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

You must be fucking kidding me. Considering Nonis and Burke were in Vcr, you should know how they work. Nonis wasn't sitting around doing nothing, he had his hands in a lot of moves while Burke was GM. This isn't purely Burke's team.

Samyy

EDIT - And of course who knows if they would have made it in a full season.

Huh Seguin and Hamilton are not going to have an impact sooner then Kessel would. Not sure what your trying to say there (maybe in the long term). Also we gave up nothing for Phanuef, just scraps.

I agree with Wilson.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You must be fucking kidding me. Considering Nonis and Burke were in Vcr, you should know how they work. Nonis wasn't sitting around doing nothing, he had his hands in a lot of moves while Burke was GM. This isn't purely Burke's team.
candy-trap_420.gif

UGHHHHH I cant wait for my pants to explode over Karlsson's sexy ass moves.
I'm going to cream my pants when Subban turns Karlsson into paste when he forgets he's a D-man and tries to carry the puck up.

Tabris

Yeah, I get that. It's an entire team of GM, Assistant GM, Capologist, etc, etc. I just mean Brian Burke was final say on a lot of these things that had now gotten them into the playoffs. It's a shame he doesn't get to reap what he sown.

Huh Seguin and Hamilton are not going to have an impact sooner then Kessel would. Not sure what your trying to say there (maybe in the long term). Also we gave up nothing for Phanuef, just scraps.

I agree with Wilson.

Seguin is having quite an impact in Boston. Also you gave nothing for Phanuef in hind sight but those players had a bit of value then and you could have gotten a couple pieces instead of one, or someone else. Who knows though?

Samyy

Yeah, I get that. It's an entire team. I just mean Brian Burke was final say on a lot of these things that had now gotten them into the playoffs. It's a shame he doesn't get to reap what he sown.

Seguin is having quite an impact in Boston. Also you gave nothing for Phanuef in hind sight but those players had a bit of value then and you could have gotten a couple pieces instead of one, or someone else. Who knows though?

Uhm no Kessel puts this team on his back and has been top 10 in scoring the past two years. I agree Seguin would fill a positional need and perhaps down the stretch would be more of an impact player but as of now no way in hell.

I do think it was unfortunate the way that trade worked out but the Leafs would not be close without Kessel. He is by far our best player especially since hes upped his two-way play. His vision is also amazing and hes been instrumental in JVR having a great season. Hes done all this while playing with Bozak...

Phaneuf is our captain and a beast in the locker room. The guys we gave up would get us some 2nd or 3rd rounders, nothing else.

Ian White, Matt Stajan, Jamal Mayers and Ian White, yea they would have not gotten us anything else equal to what Phaneuf has become in Toronto.

Tabris

Fair enough on Kessell and Phanuef. But you guys get my point on Brian Burke, you gotta feel a bit bad for him.

Brown will play tonight. Socreges was arguing that the length of the ban should be the length of the injury.

I 100% agree with this train of thought. Especially if shown to be intentional. Non-intentional gets a warning suspension. Guarantee you the elbow would stay down if that was the case, because they could be banned for life like Matt Cooke would have been.

Samyy

Fair enough on Kessell and Phanuef. But you guys get my point on Brian Burke, you gotta feel a bit bad for him.

I 100% agree with this train of thought.

I agree, there was no reason for him to be fired, he did a great job and he deserved to be rewarded. Even Nonis was upset with the decision.

Merguson

Banned
If Brian Burke has to be fired because of team performance, that is fine, but that wasn't even the reason.

The new owners just didn't like his personality.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Uhm no Kessel puts this team on his back and has been top 10 in scoring the past two years. I agree Seguin would fill a positional need and perhaps down the stretch would be more of an impact player but as of now no way in hell.

I do think it was unfortunate the way that trade worked out but the Leafs would not be close without Kessel. He is by far our best player especially since hes upped his two-way play. His vision is also amazing and hes been instrumental in JVR having a great season. Hes done all this while playing with Bozak...

Phaneuf is our captain and a beast in the locker room. The guys we gave up would get us some 2nd or 3rd rounders, nothing else.

Ian White, Matt Stajan, Jamal Mayers and Ian White, yea they would have not gotten us anything else equal to what Phaneuf has become in Toronto.

Calgary trades:

Dion Phaneuf
Fredrik Sjostrom
Keith Aulie

Leafs trade:

Matt Stajan
Niklas Hagman
Jamal Mayers
Ian White

If anyone thinks we could have got better out of that they be cray.

Tabris

Calgary trades:

Dion Phaneuf
Fredrik Sjostrom
Keith Aulie

Leafs trade:

Matt Stajan
Niklas Hagman
Jamal Mayers
Ian White

If anyone thinks we could have got better out of that they be cray.

You gotta put the trade on context, on the value of the players at the time and what else could have been gotten for them. While you have good points about leadership and such for Phanuef, I'm just saying who knows what you could have gotten instead. Those players were some of Toronto's top 6 forwards and top 4 d-men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom