• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs |OT2| stay salty, my friends

Curufinwe

I've said it a billion times, but clutching and grabbing does not make the game worse in any appreciable way.

Clutching and grabbing allows the slower, less skilled players to negate the effectiveness of the higher skilled players and leads to fewer shots, fewer goals and less exciting hockey.

Clutching and grabbing allows the slower, less skilled players to negate the effectiveness of the higher skilled players and leads to fewer shots, fewer goals and less exciting hockey.

Bolded is where you're completely wrong assuming that they're synonyms. Without the late 90's/early 00's we never would have seen guys like John LeClair. Big Buff is exactly the type of person who would benefit from that type of game.

Less goals does not equal less exciting.

Curufinwe

Bolded is where you're completely wrong assuming that they're synonyms. Without the late 90's/early 00's we never would have seen guys like John LeClair. Big Buff is exactly the type of person who would benefit from that type of game.

Less goals does not equal less exciting.

Allowing clutching and grabbing by defenders is not required for players like LeClair to score goals. Clutching and grabbing is what defenders do when they can't keep up with the play or are caught out of position.

Swapping scoring chances for players grabbing each other on the arm does make the game less exciting.

Allowing clutching and grabbing by defenders is not required for players like LeClair to score goals. Clutching and grabbing is what defenders do when they can't keep up with the play or are caught out of position.

Swapping scoring chances for players grabbing each other on the arm does make the game less exciting.

It doesn't prevent it, but it does create advantages for bigger, stronger players.

It's all about what people prefer. This genuinely ISN'T a better or worse thing. Every time I have this same argument people seem to grasp onto this notion that faster and more goals is inherently more appealing. I'm living proof that isn't 100% accurate and have many friends who agree.

Curufinwe

I just don't see how allowing defenders to grab and hold on to attacking players makes for a better game. Players should be using their sticks and their body position and hits to defend, not just reaching out with their free hand and grabbing a guy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just don't see how allowing defenders to grab and hold on to attacking players makes for a better game. Players should be using their sticks and their body position and hits to defend, not just reaching out with their free hand and grabbing a guy.
Agreed, keep the focus on the skill in the game, not apes who drop people. Reward the most intelligent and skilled players, not the biggest or heaviest.

Hunter S.

chosewisely_zpsf748024d.gif
Not amused. *thumbs down* Not even close to a pens fan myself, yeah...

Merguson

Banned
IIHF rink dimensions for the NHL, thanks.

Not that the owners would go for it but I like Burke's suggestions that new arenas should be built to accommodate bigger rink dimensions in the future.

sammich

Philly/Pits last year was enjoyable because it was a combo of watching the Pens implode, the bad goaltending and the general ridiculousness of what was happening on the ice and hatred for each other.

Watching La/St Louis was enjoyable cuz the game was a fucking war on ice. Nothing was taken for granted. Everything was contested, awesome goaltending performances, clutch as fuck goals and hatred for each other.

Both are fun for different reasons. Its a hell of a lot more exciting when your teams are involved in the game. It sucked to see the leafs lose how they did, but it was damn edge of the seat exciting.

I like the way the kings and bruins play as they punish you through offensive and defensive agression. You get no space. Everything has to be worked for. I appreciate those goals a lot more than watching Boychuk or whoever it was blowing a shot past Remier/Fleury, but those are great as well as you rarely ever see that stuff where a shooter just plain slams it past a goalie with no screen. It all depends on the game. If there are whistles every 30 seconds then i cant stand the game. If the game flows no matter how many goals, i dont have a problem with that. I honestly think id find the game far worse if everything was called. I dont like everything being whistled and having 7 or 8 powerplays a game. If every ref called everything by the book there would be a stoppage every 10 seconds. If the ref manages the flow of the game i dont think it matters whats happening on the ice.

I think the best thing about Campbell's performance last night as that after he broke his leg and besides from staying on the ice, he tried to block a shot AGAIN.

What a champ.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fuck i missed a good one last night. Only saw the first two periods. Had to sleep cause i work and shit. How many OT did it go?

MacAttack

Fuck i missed a good one last night. Only saw the first two periods. Had to sleep cause i work and shit. How many OT did it go?
Double OT and it was glorious. I actually ran out of DVR space and ended up deleting the first 3 1/2 periods or I'd be getting ready to start a re-watch.

There was a ton of uncalled penalties on both sides last night. It was good to see the Penguins play a real game instead of what they threw out in the first two games.

get the UFC gifs out of a NHL thread!

hockeychaw_mediumy3btz.gif

saliva voynov

I'll take 50 UFC gifs over another fucking shitty WWE or wrestling GIF anyday.

"Ha ha the man said DAMN! Now here is a man celebrating! This man is staring at someone! Oh now he's doing a silly dance! Ha ha, wrestling is great! I'm 10 years old!"

Top Bottom