• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

zroid

Banned
Yeah I was gonna say, aren't they one of the longest lasting teams in the CHL?

Also, if they and the Whalers go up in smoke, where do the players for those teams go?

Hamilton and Flint, I guess

definitely sucks that Belleville is closing shop

Calamari41

41 > 38
We need a San Diego Gulls contingent plastering this forum with seagull gifs.

Don't worry, we'll be on it

But until they play some games, we'll just be running in place

Just_1cbd81_2607708.gif

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand what happens when these AHL/OHL/whatever teams just fold up shop. How does that work? Where do those players go? I remember a few years ago the Rochester Americans shared both the Rangers and Panthers AHL players, but then the Panthers finally got their own AHL affiliate. Did those Panther AHL players just get moved to the new team leaving the Americans with like 8 players to fill in or what? This is so confusing.

Parch

I still don't understand what happens when these AHL/OHL/whatever teams just fold up shop. How does that work? Where do those players go?
It's more of a reshuffling than franchises just disappearing. Some cities that never had franchises are getting teams, like Winnipeg.

Yawnier

Banned
Kadri trying to sounds like a kid who stole candy from a store. We all know it is much more than that.

Not really directed to you but honestly I don't know what else some fans expect him to say, he is never going to go into direct detail about what he did off the ice and he gave some mature responses to the media today and doesn't seem to have taken this 3 game punishment the wrong way..... Safe to leave things at that (for now that is) imo.

ShaneB

Good article by Igor Larionov. He talks about how so many North American coaches now have adopted shitty "dump and chase", "keep it simple" systems, and how former NHL grinders are talking head coaching jobs, and teaching kids to play like they played.

Also some slight Whiplash spoilers in the first paragraph.

Thanks for pointing out this article, and thanks for the heads up on the Whiplash spoilers. Will bookmark the article and give it a read after watching Whiplash.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I was looking for some kind of dead shark picture to represent the trials and tribulations of Sharks Nation... and now I'm sad. Those poor sharks.

Likely that Reimer is in net tomorrow... there's also going to be Brewer, Erixon, possibly AHL superstar Brennan on defense. Should be an easy 2 points for you guys.

The Canucks lost to Buffalo and Arizona. I don't know what to expect with this team anymore.

One of those guys won't be back in San Jose next season.

Management has really messed up the team recently. This offseason should be very interesting.

Off the top of my head, Niemi is a UFA and Stalock hasn't proven himself as a starter. Can I interest the Sharks in Olympic Silver Medalist Ryan Miller? We'll take Hertl.

Syrinx

The Canucks lost to Buffalo and Arizona. I don't know what to expect with this team anymore.

Management has really messed up the team recently. This offseason should be very interesting.

Off the top of my head, Niemi is a UFA and Stalock hasn't proven himself as a starter. Can I interest the Sharks in Olympic Silver Medalist Ryan Miller? We'll take Hertl.

Hert-a-Tertl going to a Canadian team would be an entertaining process to watch.

jiffy38

Not really directed to you but honestly I don't know what else some fans expect him to say, he is never going to go into direct detail about what he did off the ice and he gave some mature responses to the media today and doesn't seem to have taken this 3 game punishment the wrong way..... Safe to leave things at that (for now that is) imo.

Good points. Guess I'm just tried of players not having accountability. Looks like Shanny is trying to change that. Especially evident tonight vs Calgary. Now there's a team where 110% is expected every day and respect is earned. Calgary has earned that.

Acid08

Banned
Write-up of some more of the questions DW got during the season ticket holders Q&A yesterday.

Some more notes from a poster on HF who was there:

-Team is looking at adding 4+ goalies to organization depth this summer.
-Plan on using all their draft picks this year to bulk up the organization
-There were NO guaranteed options THIS YEAR that trading a first would ensure the Sharks would make the playoffs (and go deep)
-The summer UFA market is often not worth participating in (many are guys not wanted to be re-signed by their old teams)
-No apologies for signing John Scott. If the league won't protect the "kids", he'll make sure they are.
-Trading/moving the guys they did ... never confuse the player with the person (love the story about his neighbor, Nabby's wife he shared, giving him the finger every time she jogged by after not re-signing him; and the hugs)
-He tried to move the guys to places they would succeed and/or have a chance to re-sign
-NYI was only team to be interested in Kennedy (reduced value due to injuries). But agent appreciated and may have a couple of undrafted free agents he'll persuade to sign with the Sharks.

Hert-a-Tertl going to a Canadian team would be an entertaining process to watch.

die

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Morning Lines

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher (Just Change the Center to Eller or Pleks already.. wtf.)

Parenteau - Plekanec - Galchenyuk

Eller - De La Rose - Smith-Pelly

Prust - Mitchell - Weise

Extra: Flynn - Malholtra

Edit:
Defense

Markov-Subban

Gilbert-Petry

Gonchar-Pateryn

scratched

Beaulieu-Weaver

Emelin -recovering from injury, no longer wearing a no contact jersey.

WHY ARE YOU SCRATCHING NATHAN WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON

Ugh

Keeping our best faceoff guy on the wing and putting the rookie at our toughest centre position even though he's at 39%. Scratching our third best defenseman, keeping Desharnais as our first line centre.

joker-laugh.gif

calder

I'm kinda happy the AHL team is moving back here, even if it does turn out to just be a year or two until Thunder Bay is ready. As a fan, having the young guys close will really help my 100% confidant twitter proclamations about which prospects need to be brought up to the big club NOW.

Good points. Guess I'm just tried of players not having accountability. Looks like Shanny is trying to change that. Especially evident tonight vs Calgary. Now there's a team where 110% is expected every day and respect is earned. Calgary has earned that.

lmao

calder

What happens to Calgary next year is going to make the Avs disappointment this season look like a blip on the radar. Hell, they could easily have another 9 game losing streak starting right now the way they're playing, i mean they have to run out of horseshoes to pull out of their asses soon right.

zroid

Banned
What happens to Calgary next year is going to make the Avs disappointment this season look like a blip on the radar. Hell, they could easily have another 9 game losing streak starting right now the way they're playing, i mean they have to run out of horseshoes to pull out of their asses soon right.

This Calgary off-season has the potential to be nearly as "impactful" as the Summer of Clarkson.

edit: you know out of curiosity I just was checking the Avs sh% this season and it's actually ranked 5th in the league at 8.7%. Some season-long slump, eh?

RC

Banned
Slo-mo Joe has never been able to raise his game. You'd get the same guy in the regular season, playoffs and Olympics.

The man still deserves respect though.

Samyy

Slo-mo Joe has never been able to raise his game. You'd get the same guy in the regular season, playoffs and Olympics.

How much further can he raise his game? He's been a top 10 C in the league.

Acid08

Banned

Yeah why can't he win everything for us singlehandedly. What a PPG, possession dominant bum.

lol

This Calgary off-season has the potential to be nearly as "impactful" as the Summer of Clarkson.

edit: you know out of curiosity I just was checking the Avs sh% this season and it's actually ranked 5th in the league at 8.7%. Some season-long slump, eh?

Got a lot of guys to sign, got a TON of cap space, I think you're out of your element.

Silexx

Darren Dreger was on Toronto’s TSN 1050 on Friday afternoon.

On how closely the Leafs would have explored a trade for Nazem Kadri during last off-season (with hint of more to come on Insider Trading):

“Yeah, they have had a number of conversations and some are going to be surprising when we divulge them. I’ll tell you that one was with the Ottawa Senators. And that shouldn’t come as a surprise for those of us who covered that Kadri draft; we know that the push for the Ottawa Senators was to draft Nazem Kadri and the Toronto Maple Leafs beat him to it.

“So there was considerable back and forth between Toronto and Ottawa, among others.”

And those are conversations which could be revisited between now and the summer...

“Not for what Toronto was looking for. Toronto was looking for a piece that they’re not going to get. They might’ve back last summer, but it’s not going to happen now (laughs).

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2015/3/13/dreger-considerable-back-and-forth-between-leafs-senators-on-kadri-trade-last-summer

yesjacknicholson.gif

zroid

Banned
Oh by the way since the question had come up earlier, I found out that the Belleville Bulls are going to be moving to Hamilton (Bulldogs), and the Plymouth Whalers are the ones moving to Flint.

Top Bottom