• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
this is pretty fucked up

women's hockey is in a real sorry state. the NHL needs to do a better job of supporting it, like the NBA.

This shit sucks, $35,000 is peanuts to (most)NHL clubs, the teams should really step up and help them out. I haven't even seen any cross promotion done by any of the teams, hell Montreal has the Alouettes come out onto the ice sometimes.

A Montreal radio host suggested the NHL should let the CWHL have a Montreal-Boston game at Gillette Stadium to share some of the press.

zroid

Banned
It's a bit depressing, but I wouldn't call it fucked up. If you go outside the big 4, pro-leagues are all pretty volatile and salaries and work/life balances terrible.

As for a solution... I know PL clubs have women's teams that exist within the same organization as the men's sides. I would think that the 'O6' teams probably all exist in areas where there'd be sufficient local appetite for a financially viable women's team.

well however you want to describe it, it just shouldn't be this way, and it needs to change. as you said there are better models out there for how to promote the women's game.

This shit sucks, $35,000 is peanuts to (most)NHL clubs, the teams should really step up and help them out. I haven't even seen any cross promotion done by any of the teams, hell Montreal has the Alouettes come out onto the ice sometimes.

A Montreal radio host suggested the NHL should let the CWHL have a Montreal-Boston game at Gillette Stadium to share some of the press.

I heard a similar suggestion on MvsW recently. I think it's a great idea, let them play a game on the day of the Winter Classic. Admission included in the cost of the ticket to the WC.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
well however you want to describe it, it just shouldn't be this way, and it needs to change. as you said there are better models out there for how to promote the women's game.

I heard a similar suggestion on MvsW recently. I think it's a great idea, let them play a game on the day of the Winter Classic. Admission included in the cost of the ticket to the WC.

Would be different for Brampton, but the NHL teams could, at the very least, bring the team out on the ice for a ceremonial puck-drop, or just introduction around the time that particular CWHL team plays their first game.

I'm sure just hearing some familiar names from the Olympics would pique the interest of some fans.

zroid

Banned
Would be different for Brampton, but the NHL teams could, at the very least, bring the team out on the ice for a ceremonial puck-drop, or just introduction around the time that particular CWHL team plays their first game.

I'm sure just hearing some familiar names from the Olympics would pique the interest of some fans.

I do know the Leafs support the Toronto Furies, although to what extent I'm not sure. They also hosted the CWHL All-Star game at the ACC earlier this year, and tickets were available for free. But yeah everyone needs to be doing a whole lot more IMO.

zroid

Banned
Derp

Damn refs ruining the game

After the game:

"I told you not to get caught, Steve!"

----

ZPuyW83.png

yay!

zroid

Banned
He should get called up the NHL for the rest of the season so Connor Brown can get the rookie scoring title

do it Bergevin

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Do you think Hudon will make an appearance this NHL Season or Next?

I think if they were going to bring him up this season they would have done it by now considering how many callups they've had.
This. It's pretty obvious they're not calling him up this year unless something really drastic happens. I think they've seen the success he's had and wanted to just let him keep playing with top minutes and develop in the AHL rather then bring him up to rot on the 4th line playing 6 minutes a night in Montreal. Not to mention the pressure on him would be crazy right now with how well he's done down there. It'll be interesting to see the battle between him, Andrighetto, Thomas and possibly McCarron / Scherbak for a roster spot out of camp next season.

Spl1nter

Funny seeing Connor Brown and Hudon battling for rookie point lead in AHL. Both drafted in later rounds because of size. Marlies also got a big win today. Fighting to make the playoffs.

I dont think Brown will be on the team next year except for call ups due to injury. Same with Nylander.

Stasis

How dare you be stronger than I am Kreider. How dare you!

Panthers trying to thug their way to a playoff spot? lol

edit: that said, I'd be all for a 3 point game if you can take the Caps out of a spot tbh!

Yawnier

Banned
OHL Top 10 U18 Players in PPG from 2004-2015
Connor McDavid
Sam Gagner
John Tavares (Note: Was 16 years old at the time)
Mitchell Marner
Dylan Strome

Steven Stamkos
Tyler Seguin
Ryan Strome
Sam Bennett
Ryan Ellis

One of Mini Doug Gilmour or Baby Strome PLEASE.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if anyone's finding my league PPG writeups interesting or not (they're really just my own enjoyment), but I found the talent disparity between Top OHL forwards and Top WHL forwards interesting:

OHL Top 10 U18 Players in PPG from 2004-2015
Connor McDavid
Sam Gagner
John Tavares (Note: Was 16 years old at the time)
Mitchell Marner
Dylan Strome

Steven Stamkos
Tyler Seguin
Ryan Strome
Sam Bennett
Ryan Ellis

WHL Top 10 U18 Players in PPG from 2004-2015
Nicolas Petan
Evander Kane
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Jordan Weal
Hunter Shinkaruk
Zach Boychuk
Nick Merkley
Scott Glennie
Brayden Point
Matthew Barzal

OHL forwards have killed it (apart from Gagner, who had inflated point totals due to playing with Patty Kane and Kostitsyn) while only RNH and Kane have definitively panned out so far from the WHL. Makes me a bit nervous drafting Merkley or Barzal. It's definitely a great league for drafting defensemen, but I wonder why the same hasn't held true for forwards.

What about the Q?

Yawnier

Banned
I am going to be so salty if we finish 26th and drop down to the 6th pick

I want a top 5 pick so bad :(

Same. Top 10 of this draft is damn good but man things are way too murky for my liking after Marner and Strome at 4 and 5. Like you have guys such as Barzal, Werenski who could easily go 6th overall but who could fall to around 10th as well if you have a few teams pull a Hampus Lindholm.

What about the Q?

Wouldn't mind this myself

QJMHL Top 10 U18 Players in PPG from 2004-2015

Sidney Crosby
Jonathan Drouin
Angelo Esposito (Note: Was 16 years old at the time)
Nathan MacKinnon
Nikolaj Ehlers
Jonathan Huberdeau
Claude Giroux
Francois Bouchard
Jakub Voracek
Mikhail Grigorenko

No draft eligible players made the Top 10, although Beauvillier would slot in at 12 right behind Couturier's 16 year old season. Another very solid list with the exception of Esposito and Bouchard, and still a ways ahead of the WHL list.

Damn you Jets. Ehlers is going to be a Pain in the ass.

Spl1nter

Not sure if anyone's finding my league PPG writeups interesting or not (they're really just my own enjoyment), but I found the talent disparity between Top OHL forwards and Top WHL forwards interesting

Loving them, its very interesting to see and gives perspective. I think Barzal will continue to rise up draft rankings as the season ends and if he has a good playoffs.

I need to watch Marner and Strome some more. The few times I have watched Strome he reminds me of Getzlaf. But that is mostly because of size, patience, and vision. Marner I have only watched once so cant make a comparison.

Wasnt Grigorenko like 23 during the Q season /s

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
QJMHL Top 10 U18 Players in PPG from 2004-2015

Sidney Crosby
Jonathan Drouin
Angelo Esposito (Note: Was 16 years old at the time)
Nathan MacKinnon
Nikolaj Ehlers
Jonathan Huberdeau
Claude Giroux
Francois Bouchard
Jakub Voracek
Mikhail Grigorenko

No draft eligible players made the Top 10, although Beauvillier would slot in at 12 right behind Couturier's 16 year old season. Another very solid list with the exception of Esposito and Bouchard, and still a ways ahead of the WHL list.

Oh man I completely forgot about Angelo Esposito.

Doesn't the WHL have a high correlation with NHL players? Thought I remember seeing that somewhere, but I could be making it up. Seems like there are quite a few later round draftees that come out of the WHL, and make it in the NHL.

Top Bottom