• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Cake Boss

Banned
Coburn got a 1st rounder
Sekera got a 1st rounder
Franson got a 1st rounder
Handle got a 1st rounder
Petry gets a 2nd rounder

Bold move McTavish trading your best dman for a 2nd rounder when it has been shown that you guys can't even draft past the top 3 pick.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Coburn got a 1st rounder
Sekera got a 1st rounder
Franson got a 1st rounder
Handle got a 1st rounder
Petry gets a 2nd rounder

Bold move McTavish trading your best dman for a 2nd rounder when it has been shown that you guys can't even draft past the top 3 pick.
1st round picks are gambles anyways. Parch is actually MacTavish.

Edit: Sportsnet throwing shade at TSN for the llama stuff

Marvie_3

Banned
More than four teams could "buy" playoff runs, it just deepened on what they had to build off, in that regard it's very similar now. LA and Chicago are always contenders.

Because they've both drafted extremely well in recent years and mixed in good complementary pieces.. Both are going to suffer the next few years because of cap problems going forward though. If there wasn't a cap, they could keep these teams together and add even more firepower. Now every team is on mostly even ground. Teams actually have to do their homework and build the right way to be successful and stay that way.

I was going to refute this, but then I remembered that the NHL was created in 2004.
It still wouldn't be true. If you had seen any Hawks games from 2005-2009, you'd realize quickly that those teams were NOT contenders.

JABEE

Love what Hexy has done so far. Hexy needs to get to work on moving MacDonald, Grossmann, and Luke Schenn out of town.

Oilers been hit by
you've been struck by
A smooth criminal

Marc_Bergerevin.jpg

That's a smooth tie.

Love the Crash Test Dummies symbol thing.

Red_Man

Habs reporter....

Kessel to MTL or Eberle to MTL in big package is making rounds among the doyen.
Pretty sure the Internet would collapse on itself if Kessel came to Montreal.

Solo

It still wouldn't be true. If you had seen any Hawks games from 2005-2009, you'd realize quickly that those teams were NOT contenders.

That was my point (2004 was a Tabris jab). I recall many years in the 1990's when those 2 teams weren't contending.

Parch

1st round picks are gambles anyways. Parch is actually MacTavish.
I'd kill myself if I was MacTavish.

I don't want to oversell Petry. He was the Oilers best defenceman but really just a serviceable 4th on any other team. Fair to argue that all those d-men listed are better than Petry but in a seller's market that's terrible value for the Oilers. So far Montreal has the best bargain this deadline.

MacTavish is an idiot. The franchise will continue to flounder until he's gone.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting reading up a bit on the Yandle trade. Apparently not only was Arizona not going to trade Yandle unless they got an established top 6 forward (among other things), they were planning on most likely re-signing him to an extension. Sather offering up Duclair made them change plans.

Hope it was worth it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Habs reporter....

Pretty sure the Internet would collapse on itself if Kessel came to Montreal.
What's french for Kessel? Croissel? Quessele?

That was my point (2004 was a Tabris jab). I recall many years in the 1990's when those 2 teams weren't contending.

Oh I know. Those mid-90s thru late 00's Hawks teams are what I blame for my drinking. I still have night terrors over the Theo Fleury signing.

Red_Man

Sounds like MTL and BUF working on depth deal. MTL closing in on Brian Flynn. If finalized, it's for a draft pick. #TradeCentre
Huh? Only makes sense if another forward is on the way out...

keezy

Works with the cap hits so the Leafs don't retain any salary if it's those 2. Leafs probably just want to get Phaneuf out of town at this point.

If Phaneuf goes to Detroit...

As somebody from Michigan who's struggled in the past to "like" the Red Wings, this trade would eliminate any future possibility of rooting for my hometown team.

Marvie_3

Banned
If Phaneuf goes to Detroit...

As somebody from Michigan who's struggled in the past to "like" the Red Wings, this trade would eliminate any future possibility of rooting for my hometown team.

That's ok. Wings need less fans anyway.

Parch

Interesting reading up a bit on the Yandle trade. Apparently not only was Arizona not going to trade Yandle unless they got an established top 6 forward (among other things), they were planning on most likely re-signing him to an extension. Sather offering up Duclair made them change plans.
Hope it was worth it.
It was a hefty price to pay. Really depends on how much he improves their powerplay. He's certainly good and gives the Rangers a really good D corps, but how much is he really going to improve that team?

I think other teams have filled important needs with good players and that will be a bigger impact to those teams. I'm not so sure the Rangers filled a need.

Works with the cap hits so the Leafs don't retain any salary if it's those 2. Leafs probably just want to get Phaneuf out of town at this point.

That makes more sense. Also Weiss could be expendable given all the kids Holland has stockpiled in Grand Rapids.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Love what Hexy has done so far. Hexy needs to get to work on moving MacDonald, Grossmann, and Luke Schenn out of town.

If he could manage to move MacDonald in some fashion, I would run and go help him pack.

I don't see it happening but hey...

Grossman at best would probably fetch a 4-5th rounder, which is fine.

Red_Man

Michalek to St. Louis

Watch eller become good now.
He doesn't get a good chance to show what he has offensively, but he just flat out has poor offensive instincts. He's great defensively, and I've been waiting for him to finally show his offensive skills but he just doesn't have it. He makes so many boneheaded plays on breakways, 2 on 1's, odd man rushes, etc. Maybe he can do better in an environment with little to no pressure.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@brianlawton9: The @Senators stepping up efforts to move Patrick Wiercioch contract has been biggest road block......1 of him or Gryba expected to be moved"

YOU ARE A FUCKING ARSE BRAN MURRAY.

FUCKING RETIRE ALREADY U BITCH.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It was a hefty price to pay. Really depends on how much he improves their powerplay. He's certainly good and gives the Rangers a really good D corps, but how much is he really going to improve that team?

I think other teams have filled important needs with good players and that will be a bigger impact to those teams. I'm not so sure the Rangers filled a need.

Sheppard filled a big need. That trade is being glossed over because the Yandle trade is the bigger blockbuster, but Sheppard could have a big impact in the bottom 6. Since he's a left winger/center, he opens up some options of how we use Kevin Hayes, and he could also be slotted into the 4th line on Dominic Moore's wing.

Sheppard-Moore-Fast would be a MASSIVE improvement on the 4th line compared to Glass-Moore-Stempniak. If AV is willing to concede defeat on the Great Tanner Glass Experiment.

So I do think this team is significantly better today than it was yesterday. For now.

Holiday

Banned
Armstrong wheeling and dealing

RHD gap was huge for STL, even when Shattenkirk comes back.

D prices are high though, so I wonder what he gave up.

Top Bottom