• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

pringles

Is Ken Campbell reliable? Says the Leafs are asking for Brendan Smith in Phaneuf deal.

So Weiss+Smith would be the basis I guess.. Wings apparently are insisting on salary retained.

Sheppard filled a big need. That trade is being glossed over because the Yandle trade is the bigger blockbuster, but Sheppard could have a big impact in the bottom 6. Since he's a left winger/center, he opens up some options of how we use Kevin Hayes, and he could also be slotted into the 4th line on Dominic Moore's wing.

Sheppard-Moore-Fast would be a MASSIVE improvement on the 4th line compared to Glass-Moore-Stempniak. If AV is willing to concede defeat on the Great Tanner Glass Experiment.

So I do think this team is significantly better today than it was yesterday. For now.

gUozH3K.gif

yyzjohn

Banned
Yarp. Then again, David Clarkson was traded so literally anything can happen at this point.

Everyone brings up the Clarkson deal as a "if he was traded anyone can be traded!" but Kessel is still an elite player. You have to take your time on that type of deal and make sure you maximize return. Leafs fans are still split on Kessel, there's no urgency to move him out as there is for Phaneuf. I see a Phaneuf deal more likely as he's the captain and it would symbolize a turning of the page on this shit era. Also with the salary, it's easier to get a Kessel deal done in the summer when teams have room opening up due to losing UFAs etc. Kessel could still be done, but like I said it's more likely a summer time deal.

Parch

Michalek good 2-way player. That'll help the Blues, but a goalie would help more. None for sale without major blockbuster overpayment.

What's wrong with Peitrangelo? Seems like he's having an off year.

Everyone brings up the Clarkson deal as a "if he was traded anyone can be traded!" but Kessel is still an elite player. You have to take your time on that type of deal and make sure you maximize return. Leafs fans are still split on Kessel, there's no urgency to move him out as there is for Phaneuf. I see a Phaneuf deal more likely as he's the captain and it would symbolize a turning of the page on this shit era. Also with the salary, it's easier to get a Kessel deal done in the summer when teams have room opening up due to losing UFAs etc. Kessel could still be done, but like I said it's more likely a summer time deal.

I was saying that more in the vein of "I shouldn't be confident in what I expect to happen, because that was out of the left part of left field." I think Kessel will get a great return.

Parch

Clarkson trade was also a rare unique opportunity with the LTIR swap. Without that rare opportunity Toronto is stuck with that contract forever.

yyzjohn

Banned
I was saying that more in the vein of "I shouldn't be confident in what I expect to happen, because that was out of the left part of left field." I think Kessel will get a great return.

I hear ya, I get the feeling we're getting all these huge names thrown around and in the end it'll be like other years where nothing really significant happens. We'll see.

Holiday

Banned
Michalek good 2-way player. That'll help the Blues, but a goalie would help more. None for sale without major blockbuster overpayment.

What's wrong with Peitrangelo? Seems like he's having an off year.

Mostly an off year, I think. He and Bouwmeester both have struggled at times.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
TVA Sports (Louis Jean) now saying Bournival is no longer part of the #Habs long-term plans
Not surprising, he's had a hard time finding a place in the lineup.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN 58s59 seconds ago
As of now, Detroit has decided that the asking price for Phaneuf is too high. Lines of communication are still open, but nothing close.

NNNOOOOONNNNIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSS

Yawnier

Banned
Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN 58s59 seconds ago
As of now, Detroit has decided that the asking price for Phaneuf is too high. Lines of communication are still open, but nothing close.

NNNOOOOONNNNIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSS

Good

I'm not expecting half the world for pha9 but if they want the leafs to retain like $2Mill, a Weiss + Smith return would fucking suck

Megasoum

Banned
Well we always say that we need to increase the average size of the team here so I guess Kessel would make sense lol

Megasoum

Banned
Wait...are TSN really chasing Llamas live on TV right now?

I mean... I know they have a whole day to fill with almost no news but geez...

Socreges

Banned
Coburn got a 1st rounder
Sekera got a 1st rounder
Franson got a 1st rounder
Handle got a 1st rounder
Petry gets a 2nd rounder

Bold move McTavish trading your best dman for a 2nd rounder when it has been shown that you guys can't even draft past the top 3 pick.
Petry isn't as good as any of those guys...no one would have ever given up a 1st for him. That said, he's solid and a good rental for the Habs.

Top Bottom