• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Only a Kings fan would put his drinks between his legs while peeing.

lol 3/4 pants with boots

eSNJXBj.jpg

This is a pretty good article on how the hockey media are basically a bunch of clowns who spend more time trying to spin narratives than anything resembling real journalism: http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/...-the-troubling-trend-of-nhl-media-as-a-weapon

I agree with most of this (and with ActStriker's comment that this type of punditry exists in other sports), but I take exception with this graf:

Finally, we've seen cases where a team media has clearly decided to target a player for "character issues" no other reason than they're the easiest target, or, more sinisterly, to run them out of town (see Evander Kane in Winnipeg or, recently, Nazem Kadri in Toronto). Troublingly, these are often linked to players of minority backgrounds.

Kadri isn't being run out of town by the local media. In fact he's faced far less scrutiny than Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner or Reimer has over the past 2-3 season, despite inconsistent play, noticeable clashes with the staff and a handful of league suspensions. For example, look at how the chief buffoon of Leafs reporters (Simmons) started his piece on Kadri's suspension:

There is a laundry list of issues that Maple Leafs have with Nazem Kadri. And if they didn’t believe he was a player worth fighting for, worth keeping through the rebuild, they would have ignored his perceived indiscretions and looked to trade him in June.

Does that at all seem like he's trying to run him out of town?

zroid

Banned
I agree with most of this (and with ActStriker's comment that this type of punditry exists in other sports), but I take exception with this graf:

Kadri isn't being run out of town by the local media. In fact he's faced far less scrutiny than Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner or Reimer has over the past 2-3 season, despite inconsistent play, noticeable clashes with the staff and a handful of league suspensions. For example, look at how the chief buffoon of Leafs reporters (Simmons) started his piece on Kadri's suspension:

Does that at all seem like he's trying to run him out of town?

yeah you're not wrong, this wasn't written by someone who follows the Leafs so it's more an outsider's perspective of the incident. not entirely accurate, but still. Dreger at least has been trying to run Kadri out of town for ages. :\

calder

Lol, Titus!

I saw the gif and said "Titus! Titus Andromedon!" in my head.

Really liked that show, even though I felt the last couple of episodes were the weakest (or least funny at least) it was still excellent overall. It's kinda insane how they were able to make such a funny show about a teenage girl kidnapped and kept in locked in a bunker for 15 years.

Favourite Titus moment: "Honey, that werewolf needs help!"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Really liked that show, even though I felt the last couple of episodes were the weakest (or least funny at least) it was still excellent overall. It's kinda insane how they were able to make such a funny show about a teenage girl kidnapped and kept in locked in a bunker for 15 years.

Yeah I really enjoyed it. Also re-watching Happy Endings again....so good.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, Titus!

Titus is the best.

Personally, I loved him at the ATM machine.

zroid

Banned
I think both Marner and Strome could probably play in the NHL next season, but I doubt the one drafted by the Leafs will get the chance. Just doesn't make sense to burn that contract year.

But considering how dominant they both were in their draft-eligible season, it's going to be awesome seeing one or both light it up in their +1.

Samyy

I think both Marner and Strome could probably play in the NHL next season, but I doubt the one drafted by the Leafs will get the chance. Just doesn't make sense to burn that contract year.

But considering how dominant they both were in their draft-eligible season, it's going to be crazy seeing one or both light it up in their +1.

AHL needs some kind of exception rule D:

calder

AHL needs some kind of exception rule D:

There's no reason for the CHL to ever agree to it, but damn it'd be nice. Every year there's a dozen or so 19-20 age players who aren't quite good enough to play in the NHL but are just too good for junior, and I think it kind of stunts their growth a bit.

Morrissey was good in the WHL last year, but when his team was eliminated he went to the AHL and looked *amazing* in a long playoff run. But this year he goes back to junior and underwhelms by basically stagnating.

Samyy

There's no reason for the CHL to ever agree to it, but damn it'd be nice. Every year there's a dozen or so 19-20 age players who aren't quite good enough to play in the NHL but are just too good for junior, and I think it kind of stunts their growth a bit.

Morrissey was good in the WHL last year, but when his team was eliminated he went to the AHL and looked *amazing* in a long playoff run. But this year he goes back to junior and underwhelms by basically stagnating.

Yea I'm sure a lot of the time its just plain mental with those guys, it really sucks. At least let them go after their +1 year in certain cases, perhaps monetary compensation of some kind can be provided by NHL clubs. I think its obvious with guys like Pastrnak/Fiala/Nylander that there are 18 years who can not only handle, but excel in the AHL and I'm sure its realllly helping them develop.

Socreges

Banned
Just seemed like something you give chastise over. I'm probably wrong.
Huh. I'm usually the insensitive one so it's funny you could see it that way.

I've actually feigned offense before to make Tabris look bad even worse. Which, on at least one occasion, ended up being itself kinda offensive. Merguson might know what I'm talking about.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I've actually feigned offense before to make Tabris look bad even worse. Which, on at least one occasion, ended up being itself kinda offensive. Merguson might know what I'm talking about.

Lol, must be thinking of someone else.

Heretic

i fell for it one time :'(

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Two games attended in less than a week. Crapped the bed against Columbus, stood triumphant over Winnipeg. I'll take that as long we keep the lead over those other, lesser teams in the Pacific rearview.

edPQbNp.jpg

Blue Jackets debacle which shall not be mentioned again

Hy85G9E.jpg

Glorious victory over Manitoban interlopers

Heretic

Two games attended in less than a week. Crapped the bed against Columbus, stood triumphant over Winnipeg. I'll take that as long we keep the lead over those other, lesser teams in the Pacific rearview.

edPQbNp.jpg

Blue Jackets debacle which shall not be mentioned again

Hy85G9E.jpg

Glorious victory over Manitoban interlopers

Great pics! (aside from portrait)

What phone do you have?

Top Bottom