• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

The Stars are such an odd team.

Normally when you have a team that scores a lot but can't play D, it's more like Flames, Avs, or last year's Leafs where they don't cycle much but get a lot of goals off the rush.

With Dallas they get some legit offensive zone pressure when they're set up but if they're in their own end it's usually a disaster.

Wat. We get way more goals from cycling then the rush.

Edit: The stats might not reflect that we are a possession leading team but we get enough possession to maintain sustained offensive zone presence. In years before this I could not say that was true, we've been great in the O-zone this year

Edit: The stats might not reflect that we are a possession leading team but we get enough possession to maintain sustained offensive zone presence. In years before this I could not say that was true, we've been great in the O-zone this year

Well . . . You have Nashville tomorrow. Good luck. That ought to be a good contest unless they slack off because they clinched.

Well . . . You have Nashville tomorrow. Good luck. That ought to be a good contest unless they slack off because they clinched.

The only games I'm legit scared of are the next 3. Perds, sturs, and blues. I expect an even contest with the preds, could go either way. Stars are gonna try and play spoiler because they're sort of in the hunt for a spot, only sort of though, I think that last loss was good prep for a win. And the blues always have our fucking number, I'm not sure why, everyone else can beat them but us, its like playing the ducks in the pond for us. If we can grab 4/6 points out of those 3 I think we're good, and if we beat the kings when we meet in a week or so we are definitely good, unless we give up a point.

I hope our offense gets their shit together, been lacking in finesse lately, need some big blue line contributions on these next few. God be with you Hiller, lead us to victory.

zroid

Banned

I'm trying to find the shot type data but am drawing up a blank right now. I've heard that Calgary uses the long stretch pass to a much greater degree than average, which generally coincides with rush attempts. The shot location rates (and location-based sh%) of the Flames do reflect this as well.

I haven't looked this up so I'm just speculating, but I assume when the Brodie and Giordano pairing is on the ice (especially if it's the Monahan line out there), the Flames can maintain pressure pretty well. That's probably what you're thinking of. In general though, the team isn't very good at it.

What does getting a win look like for a team intentionally tanking? A lot like this I guess
G9WSvd0.gif

Go Leafs Go

edit: thought it was a gifv oops

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pateryn had a fantastic game last night, him and Beaulieu look like vets out there. Pateryn is everything we've expected Tinordi to be, steady, hard hitting, smart and safe. Really, impressed with him right now.

Pateryn had a fantastic game last night, him and Beaulieu look like vets out there. Pateryn is everything we've expected Tinordi to be, steady, hard hitting, smart and safe. Really, impressed with him right now.

That Hit on Hayes was excellent. I think we found our Emelin Replacement.

Didn't Minnesota have a crazy run like this a couple years ago the same way?

Well, in 2011-2012 they were doing really well in the first half of the season. They were #1 in the league for a week or two as late as December but then collapsed to draft #7 overall (Matt Dumba).

Not a run close to this though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
mXDgXAj.png

Stuff like this makes it so hard not go get my hopes up.
If there was an NHL award for most improbable turn of events, this would surely run away with it.

I still have my doubts that it's sustainable through the playoffs, mostly because you have to think at some point Dubnyk is going to crack. But it's been pretty damn impressive. Not really looking forward to seeing either the Jets or Wild this week, to be honest.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Little different look in the top 6 today.

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Fast
Hagelin-Hayes-Miller
Glass-Moore-Sheppard

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Summers

Talbot

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Horvat logged a minute more ice-time than the Sedins last night oO.

Still getting used to having a good rookie.

Stasis

Prince Cam back in.

No more blocking Ovi one-timers please.

edit: Our first powerplay in two games. Didn't get a single one vs. Ottawa or Boston. Interesting.

Stasis

Fixed. Ottawa and Boston. I didn't catch all of either game but that's what the announcers just said...

Possibly the refs realized we're better at even strength and are doing us a favor?

edit: nm I see penalties in the Boston game. I have no idea then. Maybe I misheard.

edit again: All penalties vs. Boston were a man a side, so no PP. Makes sense now!

Top Bottom