• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

zroid

Banned
It's a big night for #TankNation, Leafs Age.

Columbus and Carolina both need a win. Columbus faces a Jagr-less Jersey, they can win this. Carolina faces red hot Minny, hopefully they can steal a point somehow.

I think (some of) the top teams in the East can take on the top teams in the West. Lightning, Rangers, Islanders, Red Wings all match up pretty well, I think.

The West is deeper than the East in the sense that there are more teams that can realistically squeak into a playoff spot, whereas the East is more firmly divided into the have and have-nots this season. That is to say the East has a pretty even balance of really good teams and really bad teams with not a whole lot in the middle (pretty much just Boston, Florida, and maaaaaybe Ottawa and Philly if they can keep pushing), whereas the West has a handful of elite teams (Anaheim, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago), a couple of really terrible teams, and then a whole lot of pretty solid teams in the middle.

The Lightning are good but relatively inexperienced, and Bishop hasn't been as sharp as he was last season (not sure whether it's him or his defence). I'd put them and the Islanders in the same category: strong, young teams with little playoff experience. Red Wings are always scary with no glaring weaknesses. Rangers have a Cup final run under their belt, and arguably the deepest blueline in the league. Their biggest question mark will be Lundqvist's health. The Habs will ride Price, but lack top-tier scoring.

Penguins are in the mix as Malkin and Crosby are healthy and Letang and Fleury are having good years. Bruins could do some damage if they make it but I highly doubt they can go four rounds again. Panthers lack scoring but they're young and upcoming. Capitals have a better defence and Holtby has improved a lot but I'm not sure about their scoring depth. Flyers and Senators could make it but I don't see them going far.

I think the East is pretty balanced: any one of the wild card teams (Bruins/Panthers, Caps/Pens) could pull of an upset.

The West doesn't seem as strong this time around, maybe because the East got better. Nashville is deep, but their top forwards include a rookie, an ex-cokehead, and a guy who played with Malkin. St. Louis, for whatever reason, seems to disappear at the worst times. Chicago has cap trouble hurting their depth and are missing Kane. Anaheim has benefited from puck luck and their goaltending tandem is relatively untested, plus Boudreau is not a playoff wizard.

Then you've got the wild card teams. Minnesota is deep, but Dubnyk has 0 playoff games and could burn out (has he taken a night off?) Calgary is young, missing Giordano, and have lucky fancy stats. Vancouver is old and injured. Winnipeg has a rookie goaltender, LA is being LA, and San Jose traded their depth away.

Pretty wide open, if you ask me. Cup final could be Detroit vs. St. Louis.

Giggzy

It's too early to call.

There will be a major injury to an important player(s) on a team(s) before the playoffs start.

Just hope it isn't your team.

KINGS WIN KINGS WIN KINGS WIN

BkOQLEp.gif

SuTwaeX.gif

VTuerFH.gif

GLv6D0D.gif

Well done, good sir.

Though fuck the Kings.

Foggy

Columbus and Carolina both need a win. Columbus faces a Jagr-less Jersey, they can win this. Carolina faces red hot Minny, hopefully they can steal a point somehow.

Bad news

Aaron Portzline said:
Add #NJDevils G Cory Schneider to the #CBJ-killer list: 9-2-1 with a .937 save percentage and 1.87 goals-against average vs. #CBJ

Now that the dust has settled after trading Wiz, the forward situation in Columbus is absurd so there should be a lot of movement on a bunch of them this summer. Jeremy Morin, Wild Bill, Marko Dano, Alexander Wennberg, Kerby Rychel, Josh Anderson, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Sonny Milano, and then who knows if another forward gets added to the mix of young talent after the first round of the draft.

gaming_noob

Columbus has a tough schedule until the end of the year. They're going to finish below the Leafs. Carolina has their next 11 of 13 games at home and, in comparison, a much easier schedule.

The last 5 teams will be:

1. Buffalo
2. Arizona
3. Edmonton
4. Columbus
5. Toronto

zroid

Banned
Bad news

Now that the dust has settled after trading Wiz, the forward situation in Columbus is absurd so there should be a lot of movement on a bunch of them this summer. Jeremy Morin, Wild Bill, Marko Dano, Alexander Wennberg, Kerby Rychel, Josh Anderson, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Sonny Milano, and then who knows if another forward gets added to the mix of young talent after the first round of the draft.

I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Columbus has a tough schedule until the end of the year. They're going to finish below the Leafs. Carolina has their next 11 of 13 games at home and, in comparison, a much easier schedule.

The last 5 teams will be:

1. Buffalo
2. Arizona
3. Edmonton
4. Columbus
5. Toronto

:(

well all I want is a top 5 pick so this is fine... but not ideal because there's still a 37% chance we will slip to 6th in this scenario

Foggy

I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Haha, well 4 of the next 6 games are two against Caroline and two against Edmonton. So that will actually be the largest indicator of how far Columbus is able to fall. After that it's Canucks, Flames, Ducks, Hawks, Blues, Devils, Isles, Pens, Rags, Leafs, Sabres, and Isles. Only two of those games will be against teams on the tank and the rest will be in the thick of it.

I traded Corey Crawford for Kris Letang.
Not that it's a steal or guaranteed to work out, but I grabbed Dubnyk off FA and have complete confidence in him carrying my goaltending.

Traded Daniel Sedin + Cedric Paquette for Luongo + Glenncross
Traded Andrei Markov for Derrick Pouliot + Chris Stewart
Traded Jacob Markstrom for Wingels

zroid

Banned
Speaking of Schneider, saw something interesting just now... it's a ranking of goalies based on how many more goals they have prevented this season than an average goalie:

Here are the top 10:

yk0BHT9.png

Price and Schneider are WAY above the pack. Rinne has had a great season but this table distills the team effects (the Perds are already so good so they don't rely on him as much)

Earlier this season I traded Kucherov for Saad. I thought I was selling high on Kucherov but he's continued to produce. Saad has been okay but I still think I lost that trade.

Later traded Lehtonen and Callahan for Parise and Beleskey. Beleskey's injured so I just got Parise which is okay since Lehtonen has been horrible.

Tabris

I clinched presidents trophy in my fantasy league with 2 weeks left. It's a salary cap / keeper league. My top players are C.Price, V.Tarasenko, A.Ovechkin, H.Sedin, D.Sedin, R.Josi. My only disappointments have been N.MacKinnon. I min / maxed my bench with a bunch of low salary cap and high salary cap players. Except for N.MacKinnon, my best bench player is Scott Gomez lol. Otherwise rest are potential players like T.Hertl, P.Maroon, A.Hammond. Barely any injuries except for R.Miller who I dropped and traded next year draft picks for C.Schneider.

My hockey knowledge cannot be surpassed.

Foggy

I clinched presidents trophy in my fantasy league with 2 weeks left. It's a salary cap / keeper league. My top players are C.Price, V.Tarasenko, A.Ovechkin, H.Sedin, D.Sedin, R.Josi. My only disappointments have been N.MacKinnon. I min / maxed my bench with a bunch of low salary cap and high salary cap players. Except for N.MacKinnon, my best bench player is Scott Gomez lol. Barely any injuries except for R.Miller who I dropped and traded next year draft picks for C.Schneider.

15767507744_98c18d3463_o.gif

zroid

Banned
Speaking of Schneider, saw something interesting just now... it's a ranking of goalies based on how many more goals they have prevented this season than an average goalie:

Here are the top 10:

yk0BHT9.png

Price and Schneider are WAY above the pack. Rinne has had a great season but this table distills the team effects (the Perds are already so good so they don't rely on him as much)

BTW here's the bottom 10:

FfiYMhO.png

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
BTW here's the bottom 10:

FfiYMhO.png

I'd be curious to know where the Rangers goalies are. If I had to guess, I'd assume Lundqvist is not too far out of the top 10, and I'd guess Cam Talbot might actually be slightly negative (or very close to 0, at least).

Sad where Kuemper ended up after that crazy start to the season.

zroid

Banned
I'd be curious to know where the Rangers goalies are. If I had to guess, I'd assume Lundqvist is not too far out of the top 10, and I'd guess Cam Talbot might actually be slightly negative (or very close to 0, at least).

Sad where Kuemper ended up after that crazy start to the season.

Just checked, Lundqvist is at 17th with +6.11 (39 gp). His injury and rough start probably held him back from the top 10.

Talbot is +2.34 (25 gp)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Socreges

Banned

Here are the top 10:

yk0BHT9.png

Par for the course for Schneider. Always been a pimp. Gillis should be praised for hanging on to Schneider early on when there were calls for him to be traded, but raked across the coals for finally letting him go for so little. Schneider is elite and many of us knew it two years ago.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah... Eller hasn't been his best this season. Is it because of injuries? Who knows

Someone said in the comments section there that he never looks happy out on the ice this season, never looks like he's having any fun. I know Cherry loves that shit, but if you're constantly frustrated, it's got to affect your play.

I don't think I've ever heard Therrien say he needed to get Eller going, and end up putting some good scorers on his wings like he does with Desharnais all of the time.

Par for the course for Schneider. Always been a pimp. Gillis should be praised for hanging on to Schneider early on when there were calls for him to be traded, but raked across the coals for finally letting him go for so little. Schneider is elite and many of us knew it two years ago.

Getting a top-10 pick for Schneider (with less than 100 games played at the time) was a pretty good return. Gillis's mistake was hanging onto Schneider for too long and attempting (and failing) to trade Luongo. If his plan was to showcase Schneider and then flip him, then he should've done it without trying to trade Luongo, declaring that Schneider was their guy, etc.

Razorskin

----- ------
I clinched presidents trophy in my fantasy league with 2 weeks left. It's a salary cap / keeper league. My top players are C.Price, V.Tarasenko, A.Ovechkin, H.Sedin, D.Sedin, R.Josi. My only disappointments have been N.MacKinnon. I min / maxed my bench with a bunch of low salary cap and high salary cap players. Except for N.MacKinnon, my best bench player is Scott Gomez lol. Otherwise rest are potential players like T.Hertl, P.Maroon, A.Hammond. Barely any injuries except for R.Miller who I dropped and traded next year draft picks for C.Schneider.

wlVbRMl.gif

Parch

Injuries to Byfuglien and Little complicate Jet playoff hopes, joining the Flames as a team trying to limp into the playoffs.

Ready to hand LA that playoff spot yet?

Acid08

Banned
Injuries to Byfuglien and Little complicate Jet playoff hopes, joining the Flames as a team trying to limp into the playoffs.

Ready to hand LA that playoff spot yet?

My dream: 8th seed is decided by the last regular season Sharks vs Kings game. Sharks win and grab the 8th seed while LA drops to 9th. Then we can swept by the Ducks or Preds, who cares.

Samyy

My dream: 8th seed is decided by the last regular season Sharks vs Kings game. Sharks win and grab the 8th seed while LA drops to 9th. Then we can swept by the Ducks or Preds, who cares.

I'd rather LA have no shot at McDavid :/
McDavid on the Sharks would be cool though!

Top Bottom