• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Futureman

As was just stated above, Pens came back in '09 after being down 2-0. Preds fans you got a lot of hockey left.

Explosive 3rd period. Great to see your team rise to the challenge and put on a show.

Calamari41

41 > 38
As was just stated above, Pens came back in '09 after being down 2-0. Preds fans you got a lot of hockey left.

Explosive 3rd period. Great to see your team rise to the challenge and put on a show.

They're going to live or die based on what Rinne decides. It's why they can't pull him for game 3.

bill0527

Perds disappointing as fuck these past two games.

Nashville needs to be better disciplined come Games 3 and 4 if they want to stay in this series. And Rinne needs to stop being shit.

I think if they can eliminate scoring for the Penguins in their own goal it'll help Rinne's confidence and maybe not be a total momentum and game killer

Nice win, Pens. Preds gooned it up and couldn't get it done. Woo.

Now onto game three. Preds need to win four of five against the Penguins now. I'm feeling pretty good about those back-to-back Cups at the moment, but I've seen enough Pens games and runs to know you never get overconfident.

I wouldn't feel good until we win 4
game 3 will be a challenge, and I hope the penguins rest well and continue to play better
LETS GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!

Stasis

So, I think game 1 could have easily gone to Preds.

I think the lack of Johansen is huge. I think scoring own goals isn't helping. But this isn't shaping out to look like any chance for the Preds regardless.

I do recognize that not having Letang is also huge. But I think the Pens are just the veteran team that's been to the dance, know the drill and can handle it. The Preds lacking their top center where depth isn't great is a bigger blow, imo, than the Pens lacking Letang.

Either way, nothing is settled but the debate of O vs D so far...Pens are showing what that depth and confidence does. I doubt RJ being in would change the outcome I feel is inevitable. It would maybe make for a more balanced series though.

Alucard

Banned
So, I think game 1 could have easily gone to Preds.

I think the lack of Johansen is huge. I think scoring own goals isn't helping. But this isn't shaping out to look like any chance for the Preds regardless.

I do recognize that not having Letang is also huge. But I think the Pens are just the veteran team that's been to the dance, know the drill and can handle it. The Preds lacking their top center where depth isn't great is a bigger blow, imo, than the Pens lacking Letang.

Either way, nothing is settled but the debate of O vs D so far...Pens are showing what that depth and confidence does. I doubt RJ being in would change the outcome I feel is inevitable. It would maybe make for a more balanced series though.

What's funny is that the Pens are doing this with Maatta and Hainsey playing less than stellar defense all playoffs.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. Why is this bozo playing over Salomaki or Parenteau

The original plan was for Gaudreau to play that slot but Colin Wilson got hurt and Lavi decided to reassemble the shit-tastic McLeod-Fiddler-Watson line for...reasons. He's almost certainly gone now, but it's too little, too late.

3N16MA

Banned
Pens have been out shot in 15 games these playoffs and have a 9-6 record in those games. 10.9 S% this far (San Jose holds the NHL record at 11.7 S% last playoffs).

Pretty much the way they have been playing for 4 rounds.

bill0527

Laviolette not answering if Rinne starts game 3 but did say that the three goal flurry in the third were all breakdown odd man rushes where other players should have done something. He didn't answer the question directly but it sounded like he wasn't blaming Rinne.

ryan299

DBNLQsQXkAA0n4F.jpg

2 games and the Penguins still haven't been near their best...

Nashville being such a great home team it could easily swing back to Pittsburgh tied 2-2. That said this is the first time they are coming back home in a hole so it'll all be interesting

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just got home, what a bizarre two games lol. Pens effectively play hockey for about 15 minutes in the last 6 periods and somehow have a 2-0 series lead and have scored 9 goals. Next two games are going to be really interesting to see how Rinne bounces back at home.

Jake n Bake and Murray are something else, and to think that their careers are just really starting now.

RedRum

Banned
I bet the tempo of this series would be different if Subban's first goal off a shitty callback didn't result in a double penalty and goal for the Pens.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sportsnet Stats @SNstats

#Pens Evgeni Malkin is the 1st player with a goal & a fighting major in a #StanleyCup Final game since...

Evgeni Malkin 8 years ago TONIGHT

Weird but awesome stat

Sportsnet Stats @SNstats

#Pens Evgeni Malkin is the 1st player with a goal & a fighting major in a #StanleyCup Final game since...

Evgeni Malkin 8 years ago TONIGHT

Weird but awesome stat

time is a flat circle or something.

just watched the game.. wohoo so awesome. go Pens. and ffs guys learn how to spell Määttä's name, it's NOT Maata. show some respect to the #1 D-man on the #1 hockey team in the world.

Socreges

Banned
Marc+Bergevin+2012+NHL+Entry+Draft+Round+One+zD6eSi-Yq7Jl.jpg

"-at hide and seek in the dark? Because they blend in!"

bergevin.jpg

"Oh hello David. How are-Really? Yes we'll take him back."

canadiensgmmarcbergevin.jpg

"...wait why are you laughing?"

hlhbk

Man...that's just the kinda shit you say in the locker room. You want to fight against any sense of feeling or seeming defeated. Kinda seems like it seeped into his media talk. And now the media has two days to play with it

PKs teammates are going to resent him a bit for this

I don't agree at all. There have been other situations where athletes have garunteed wins that have been just what that team Needed to respond to adversity. I think the Predators use this to rally around PK.

i honestly don't think Nashville can even win one game in this series having just one great player. Forsberg can't carry the team alone unless he starts scoring back to back hattricks again.. which i doubt.

What a weird series.

I'm just as likely to believe you if you told me the Pens are going to sweep or that the series will be tied 2-2 by Game 5.

bill0527

What a weird series.

I'm just as likely to believe you if you told me the Pens are going to sweep or that the series will be tied 2-2 by Game 5.

Well I can tell you it's really fucking weird if you're a Nashville fan. Pens are playing like Stanley Cup champions and the Preds, for the first time in the playoffs are playing like the last seed that barely made it in. Both of these teams are playing like what they truly are.

Nashville hasn't played badly. They played good enough to win game 1 and played good enough to give themselves a shot to win game 2 But then had a three minute stretch where they just completely fell apart.

For me the most disappointing player is probably not Rinne. It's Ryan Ellis who is a solid D man but Guentzel is making him look like he just got called up from the ECHL. 3 of his 4 goals have been while Ellis has been assigned to him.

ColdPizza

Banned

If they concentrated on scoring instead of trying to bang around they might actually win.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure I'll be over it by Saturday, but right now I'm not sure I even want to watch the rest of this series. It's honestly been kind of embarrassing how the Preds have been losing these games.

I blame this shit on STL and Anaheim. You have to play that way to win a series against both of those teams.

You're welcome, Pittsburgh

I recommend Nashville hitting Pittsburgh more than humans can take. Also concentrate on Crosby as they have no other stars that can make you pay.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I blame this shit on STL and Anaheim. You have to play that way to win a series against both of those teams.

So are you guys the same type of team as St Louis and Anaheim, or are you just incapable of adjusting back when facing a brand new dynamic with several days of rest in between?

Top Bottom