• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Don't count the Preds out yet, this catfish still has fight!

v4IBVa.gif

bill0527

So are you guys the same type of team as St Louis and Anaheim, or are you just incapable of adjusting back when facing a brand new dynamic with several days of rest in between?

They finessed Chicago with speed, had to play a little more physical against STL and then had to all out brawl against Anaheim. They can play a lot of different ways. I think they're buying the hype that the deeper you go in the playoffs the more physical you have to play. That's not necessarily true. They've got 2 more games to figure it out.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be interested to see what Nashville's injury report looks like when this is over. I'm sure Lavi knows that Fiddler and McLeod are liabilities (again, McLeod didn't seem to be originally part of the plan based on practice lines), but maybe they just don't have the healthy personnel to completely replace them.

Also, outside of maybe Subban the D has been kinda mediocre. Seems like they're committing a bunch of unforced errors; combine that with a Pekka in December form and you've got a mess on your hands against a Pens team that doesn't need much of a window to win.

bill0527

I'll be interested to see what Nashville's injury report looks like when this is over. I'm sure Lavi knows that Fiddler and McLeod are liabilities (again, McLeod didn't seem to be originally part of the plan based on practice lines), but maybe they just don't have the healthy personnel to completely replace them.

Also, outside of maybe Subban the D has been kinda mediocre. Seems like they're committing a bunch of unforced errors; combine that with a Pekka in December form and you've got a mess on your hands against a Pens team that doesn't need much of a window to win.

McLeod and Fiddler are definitely liabilities so far but they were badly needed against St Louis and Anaheim. You need guys like that to play against Corey Perry who is literally coming up with new ways to try and murder you with a stick and get away with it every 15 seconds.

Calamari41

41 > 38
McLeod and Fiddler are definitely liabilities so far but they were badly needed against St Louis and Anaheim. You need guys like that to play against Corey Perry who is literally coming up with new ways to try and murder you with a stick and get away with it every 15 seconds.

Where was this salt during the actual series? Could have used some excitement at that time.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

Sure, but Pittsburgh is a lot closer to Chicago in terms of structure than the Blues or Ducks, and those two (rightfully) watched that series from the press box.

I'm just saying that they really should have kept Gaudreau at center and ran with whoever is healthiest out of Wilson/Salomaki/Harry Z/PAP in this series, if such a thing is viable given injuries. Game 3 will likely give us a look into just how bad the situation is.

Cactus

Banned
This is a non-story. Who cares? Players do this on a semi-regular basis. Malkin said the Pens would win game seven against Ottawa like a week ago. We don't know what the Preds players are like. We don't know what they think of PK or how they'll react to this. What we do know is if they lose Game 3, the series is essentially over. PK might just be saying what they're all thinking.

As for "bulletin board material," the Penguins don't need any of that to win this series with ease.

RC

Banned
I really don't understand how this is an issue.

Hell that piece of shit Messier did the same thing in 94' against the Devils.

But since PK did it, it's somehow "controversial."

I really don't understand how this is an issue.

Hell that piece of shit Messier did the same thing in 94' against the Devils.

But since PK did it, it's somehow "controversial."

Totally agree. What is he really suppose to say? We're going to lose. The team needs a boost and I think him saying that is his way of boosting his teams morale and confidence.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah, what PK said was not bulletin board material, and its a bit cringe worthy to see the media apparently trying to make it so. "We'll take the next one" is nothing.

Calamari41

41 > 38
No, I don't care what sport it is or who it is, it just sounds stupid all around, period.

No, an athlete saying that his team will win the big game after he's asked about it doesn't sound stupid. You're not actually upset about this. You don't have to do this.

purg3

slept with Malkin
You're welcome, Pittsburgh

I recommend Nashville hitting Pittsburgh more than humans can take. Also concentrate on Crosby as they have no other stars that can make you pay.

Yes, exactly. That gameplan worked out really well for Columbus, Washington, and Ottawa.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, what PK said was not bulletin board material, and its a bit cringe worthy to see the media apparently trying to make it so. "We'll take the next one" is nothing.
But of course the media would do this. Maybe PK wants the media furor, but more likely he just spoke in the heat of the moment and forgot their nature.

I'm disappointed that there are folks in here that are trying to make a big deal out of PK's comments. What a bunch of nothing.
Er, isn't it just Line? Everyone else is blaming the media, not PK.

Look at what 90% of this thread has been, you're really shocked people are being melodramatic over PK's comments?
🤔

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Subban doubles down on guarantee.

"I feel even more confident now that I've had a night of rest," Subban said. "There's no question. We're going to win the next game and then we'll move forward."
"Well they did what they had to do," Subban said. "I mean that's what they're supposed to do. They wanted to take the games at home, and now we have two games at home and we want to take both. At the end of the day, it starts Saturday and you want to take one game at a time. We've had tremendous success in our building and we're going to take advantage of it."

Time for hockey media to continue to lose their collective shit until Saturday.

Ristifer

Sounded like a confident comment to me. Absolutely nothing to get worked up about. If he says before the series that they're going to sweep Pittsburgh, then it's a little bit different. But being confident about going back home to win a game is a non-issue.

Socreges

Banned
By the way, on the subject of the Messier guarantee:

Messier wasn’t happy with himself when he read the headline in the paper.

“I would’ve liked to crawl back into bed and had it disappear, originally,” he recently told the Post.
But then it came true and he looked like a genius!

Calamari41

41 > 38
Line, I think you're overreacting to this whole PK guarantee thing. lol

Everyone just chill.

I'd rather die where I stand than "chill," as you so callously put it. PK cannot get away with this.

I hope he is wrong, but shit I can't be angry at a guy that says he is going to win. I mean what should he say? ehhh I think we might do okay..

Everyone wants him to sit there with a blank look on his face and, in a monotone voice, say "You know that's a great team they have over there, hats off to them, we just need to make a few adjustments and hopefully that will put us in a position to win going forward."

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I can post in the same thread as Quick anymore.

They way he just stole the spotlight from everyone like that. Maybe Creeper, or Line wanted some attention?

Pikma

Banned
Overreacting is against the rules so I've decided to exercise my right to snitch and reported both Line and Calamari.

Bye bye guys👋🏼

Top Bottom