• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Why do they feel the need to draw out the feeding process for sooo long? why can't I just feed him 10 chocolate bars?

I'm guessing it's motivation to learn to make the better treats. What I don't like is that if you don't have the formula, but know how to make it since it's in the Wizard's Companion, you have to make them one at a time.

The Conductor is so god damn creepy.

Kwixotik

About to enter Castaway Cove. Anyone have recommended familiars?

Right now I'm using Mighty Mite, Monolith, Thumbelemur (might want to replace him), Seed Sprite, Strongo, and Sea Naiad. Thinking about replacing Thumbelemur with Purrloiner.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm guessing it's motivation to learn to make the better treats. What I don't like is that if you don't have the formula, but know how to make it since it's in the Wizard's Companion, you have to make them one at a time.

Crafting seems mostly useless without the
dragon
. The materials are too poorly spread out

Right now I'm using Mighty Mite, Monolith, Thumbelemur (might want to replace him), Seed Sprite, Strongo, and Sea Naiad. Thinking about replacing Thumbelemur with Purrloiner.

I have Cuttpurrse. He's one of the few familiars I have that does actual damage.

How do I get my partner to block quickly? Fighting the fire boss and I barely have enough time to block on my own. In the manual it says square is "all-out block" but nothing happens when I hit the button.

I am about 7 hours in right now I believe and am in love with this game.
Myrtle has finally taken a step outside of her house.

Now I realize I am just at the beginning but how much more difficult does this game get? I hope that it will provide a little bit of a challenge in the late game.

Also, I have not experienced anything as cute in gaming as I have with feeding mitey chocolate, so damn adorable.

Defunkled

I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to catch a Sprog Cog for Errand 72. Is there really NOTHING I can do to increase my chance of catching a familiar? Who thought it was a good idea to make it COMPLETELY random?

TDLink

Yeah get Purrloiner, he's a beast.

I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to catch a Sprog Cog for Errand 72. Is there really NOTHING I can do to increase my chance of catching a familiar? Who thought it was a good idea to make it COMPLETELY random?

If you're just having trouble finding them, they are a common enemy on the beach on Teeheeti opposed to wandering around southern Autumnia hoping to find them (where they are rare). Found that out via the Wizard's Companion since I was getting aggravated with the low spawn rate. Once I figured that out though I fought like 4 and was able to get one without too much hassle.

Defunkled

Yeah get Purrloiner, he's a beast.

If you're just having trouble finding them, they are a common enemy on the beach on Teeheeti opposed to wandering around southern Autumnia hoping to find them (where they are rare). Found that out via the Wizard's Companion since I was getting aggravated with the low spawn rate. Once I figured that out though I fought like 4 and was able to get one without too much hassle.

That's the thing, I HAVE been fighting Sprog Cogs on the beach of Teeheeti for the past 3 hours and I haven't had a single one get hearts above his head. It's seriously killing my enjoyment of this otherwise fantastic game. The fact that there is no way to influence your ability to capture familiars is absolutely ridiculous.

Le_Darck

Banned

I don't know if there's a way later on to catch a familiar more easily (I'm about half in the game) but I found today that my success rate seemed higher when my familiars where well fed.

I was doing an errand which required a particular familiar and I farmed about 1 hour for him without any chance to tame, and the tame event never came for any of the other familiars either. When to town and fed to full my primary familiars (the first of each character) and went back, had about 5-6 chances to tame in about 5 battles and 2 of those had the familiar I was looking for.

Could be simple luck but worth a try.

Le_Darck

Banned
That's the thing, I HAVE been fighting Sprog Cogs on the beach of Teeheeti for the past 3 hours and I haven't had a single one get hearts above his head. It's seriously killing my enjoyment of this otherwise fantastic game. The fact that there is no way to influence your ability to capture familiars is absolutely ridiculous.

This was the errand I was working on also, such a pain...

TDLink

Wow, guess I was just lucky. That really sucks.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Kind of disliking that they let you capture duplicate familiars, I was hoping the game would just remind me I already had them in some way, especially since you can't double check without visiting a manhole.

zeopower6

Kind of disliking that they let you capture duplicate familiars, I was hoping the game would just remind me I already had them in some way, especially since you can't double check without visiting a manhole.

I'd imagine they do that since you'd need to get more than one for most Familiars if you want all of their forms. It's not that big of an issue unless you approach 400 though, right?

How do I get my partner to block quickly? Fighting the fire boss and I barely have enough time to block on my own. In the manual it says square is "all-out block" but nothing happens when I hit the button.

In another of the game's many odd combat design choices, the ability to "All attack" or "All block" only comes about ~10ish hours in. Just bizarre, as I spam it pretty frequently now during battle.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only nicknames I'm proud of

Cutpurrse - Cat Daddy
Wishing Whambat - Darkwing
Stabber - Proddigy
Crashing Boar - Hamton

REFERENCES!

Anybody? The AI just keeps getting hammered by the fire guys roar. Getting fed up with this.

The boss? Just go to town on him early with ice/water attacks while your worthless partner distracts him.

After that, I would keep my distance and spam with ice/water projectiles always preparing "defend" for his volcanic eruption. I had to use a couple 100 hp provisions and 1 recover all mps but eventually I beat him

Le_Darck

Banned
Anybody? The AI just keeps getting hammered by the fire guys roar. Getting fed up with this.

I had this problem for 3 different boss fights but was still able to beat them on the first try using Oliver as my last resort. When the AI dies, simply move back with Olivier and stay far enough so the tail wipe and fire won't hit you, the fire guy shouldnt come in melee range. From there, cast the ice shard spell, keep your health high and block the big move. Collect the blue/green and yellow globes if you get the chance and refill your mana with items.

I've killed that guy along with
Shadar on the boat
and the
pig tank
that way. Long but works each time.

original.gif

Soo cute.

Lovely gif, feel free to keep them coming.

I must say, while I adore the art style in this game, the fully animated cutscenes are few and far between and the ones which are there are undeniably second rate Ghibli, especially compared to their contemporary work.

The more you look at the art style, the more it just screams level 5.

JollyWolf

Anybody know if there is a hard mode that gets unlocked at the end of the game. It seems like one would fit next to the normal one.

Lovely gif, feel free to keep them coming.

I must say, while I adore the art style in this game, the fully animated cutscenes are few and far between and the ones which are there are undeniably second rate Ghibli, especially compared to their contemporary work.

The more you look at the art style, the more it just screams level 5.

Second rate Ghibli still looks better than most animations.

Also doesn't anybody know how far I am in the game?
I just arrived at the fairy place.

Eusis

This is true, though I definitely felt it looked more Level 5 based on the character designs. That doesn't look like the typical Ghibli design, but rather something more like what I'd expect from a Level 5 game.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I didn't really find that boss battle much of a problem, but I'm finding this really frustrating - I have Esther set to 'keep us healthy' which generally seems to keep her out of harm's way, but more often than not she's a lifeless corpse by the end of the battle.

ESTHER, STOP FUCKIN TAKING THE GREEN GLIMS I NEED TO NOT DIE!

Anyway, 2nd nightmare down. Almost teared up when
I got to see the world map with the ship.
This is what I expected from this generation before the crushing realization that traditional console JRPGs were dead dawned on me. It really is the game that's been missing from my life.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's odd how almost brain-dead the combat is and then a boss hits and it's very challenging. And not soon after fire dude I'm on another frustrating one, lol.

A bird at the very entrance to the town.

lol in what is probably the most random fetch quest in the game.
"You need a levitate spell to lift this thing for this guy. That bird has it... the one that's several steps away."

For sure, but it's notably lacking in detail, even when compared to one of the initial Ghibli movies like Kiki's Delivery Service. My point is that, the more I play the game, the more I'm wondering how much Ghibli actually had to do with the game, besides some B team animation segments. I feel a little bad for level 5 in that respect - that game's being billed as "the Ghibli RPG" when it's increasingly clear it's Level 5's baby through and through.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't get the poorly handled complaint; something weird happened - in a world of magic. The kids address that is has happened and they just go with it. I don't think that's too immersion breaking considering what has happened before.

Because it's not beyond the pale to have two of very strong familiars (I'm running with two Monoliths at the moment).

zeopower6

For sure, but it's notably lacking in detail, even when compared to one of the initial Ghibli movies like Kiki's Delivery Service. My point is that, the more I play the game, the more I'm wondering how much Ghibli actually had to do with the game, besides some B team animation segments. I feel a little bad for level 5 in that respect - that game's being billed as "the Ghibli RPG" when it's increasingly clear it's Level 5's baby through and through.

Well, still, having Ghibli involved is already a huge deal considering that they are usually pretty wary of getting involved with games in any way. They seemed to only take on this project because they had resources freed up at the time and they liked the concept that was presented to them so... that's why we got what we got. I don't really think (well they shouldn't anyway imo) anyone expected an entire movie's worth of cutscenes at the quality that they normally put their own movies out at.

The timing turned out to be perfect as Ghibli had finished work on Ponyo. "The entirety of Ghibli was free of work at just that moment," Fujimaki told Famitsu magazine in 2009. "Miyazaki may say that he hates games, but being a businessman, Suzuki isn't going to just let his staff play around all day." Suzuki initially thought it would be at most three months worth of work — at its highest output, Ghibli can produce around five minutes' worth of "theater-quality animation" each month — but it ended up taking quite a bit longer than that.

Character design was done by Yoshiyuki Momose (the animation director for this game and the main 'Ghibli' influence in the art/etc) and apparently he was asked to make the designs "Ghibli-like". Also reading this article from The Verge, it seems like they produced about 18~ minutes of animation in about 3-4 months.

TDLink

how long is the game on an average playthough?

I've heard 40-50 on average. 30 if you just stick to the story and do no side stuff, 80 if you do all the side stuff. Someone who has actually beaten it already can correct my numbers though.

Yeah, I have the, I guess, third tier of food formulas. You get them
from some npc's in the pig mechanical city.
But I'm assuming(?) I missed the second tier because the only way to make them currently is by doing it myself(with the help of the wizards companion) Anyone know where the second tier of food could be found? if it can be found.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, I have the, I guess, third tier of food formulas. You get them
from some npc's in the pig mechanical city.
But I'm assuming(?) I missed the second tier because the only way to make them currently is by doing it myself(with the help of the wizards companion) Anyone know where the second tier of food could be found? if it can be found.

JRPGs almost always fuck up crafting systems by having the recipes be too obscure to find or putting materials for items at your current level at the start of the world map.

dEvAnGeL

I enjoy games just like most people do, the occasional shorter, the uncharted games, FIFA sometimes but it's been a very long time since i fell in love with a game, this game is so beautiful, not only its visual style but the characters, the way the story is told, best 60 I've spent in a long time GAF

So much more story is derived from some of these post game quests, love when games do this type of stuff. Though one of them left a bad taste in my mouth, so it wasn't all great.

So there are infinite universes in this game according to the resolution of the Conductor quest line. Oliver visits one of them -- an alternate version of Motorville where he was never born. Basically this rabbit in a suit who is actually Oliver from another universe tries to explain all this nonsense. Apparently he's (the conductor) also in the DS version, so I'm guessing this 'multiverse' garbage is the official rationale/canon for why the DS and PS3 versions are so different, too. The only good thing to come out of this is you get the Philmobile 2000 -- the go cart from the beginning of the game is now available to drive around in across the world map. So strange.

Ricker

I am heading up the volcano now for that Boss fight from the demo,which I couldn't beat back then,even with a few higher level familiars then I probably have right now...and I am level 18 I believe...what level where you in the demo,anyone remember?...just wondering if I should grind a bit up to level 20 for this fight...

Top Bottom