• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

jwk94

I am heading up the volcano now for that Boss fight from the demo,which I couldn't beat back then,even with a few higher level familiars then I probably have right now...and I am level 18 I believe...what level where you in the demo,anyone remember?...just wondering if I should grind a bit up to level 20 for this fight...

You'll be fine just spam frostbite. I actually did it at level 17.

JohngPR

It's not that bad, because their stats grow much faster in new forms. You could have a level 2 familiar at level 7 that has the same or better stats than one at 20 or higher.

Yep, they also jump in levels pretty quickly...sometimes 2-3 levels in their first encounter.

Just finished the three trials and perhaps I grinded a good amount beforehand because I had no issues with them. The first two were more
puzzle based and the boss in the third one was tough, but nothing I couldn't handle....beat him on the first try
. Esther sure does die a lot though. :-\

I've also been using the golden Mite and golden Gogo that I got from the Wizard's Edition (forgot the Genus name) and they level up really quick and metamorphosed fairly quickly.

daveo42

Banned
Yep, they also jump in levels pretty quickly...sometimes 2-3 levels in their first encounter.

Just finished the three trials and perhaps I grinded a good amount beforehand because I had no issues with them. The first two were more
puzzle based and the boss in the third one was tough, but nothing I couldn't handle....beat him on the first try
. Esther sure does die a lot though. :-\

I've also been using the golden Mite and golden Gogo that I got from the Wizard's Edition (forgot the Genus name) and they level up really quick and metamorphosed fairly quickly.

Yeah, I am still having the problem with other team members dying during boss battles. I've yet to figure out if I want to micromanage each fight or just have the other two go nuts and have Oliver heal/spellcast the entire time.
Just about to hop on the boat, where I hear the difficulty shoots up.
I was smarter AI...

JohngPR

Yeah, I am still having the problem with other team members dying during boss battles. I've yet to figure out if I want to micromanage each fight or just have the other two go nuts and have Oliver heal/spellcast the entire time.
Just about to hop on the boat, where I hear the difficulty shoots up.
I was smarter AI...

I set her tactics to back me up and she'll heal me from time to time and does alright during normal encounters. But it seems like the tougher the encounter, the more likely she's goind down. LOL

I've started to give her more powerful familiars to counteract that. Anytime I metamorph one, I start using it and give her my higher level guys in the hopes that she survives longer like that. We'll see.

Goli

So much more story is derived from some of these post game quests, love when games do this type of stuff. Though one of them left a bad taste in my mouth, so it wasn't all great.

So there are infinite universes in this game according to the resolution of the Conductor quest line. Oliver visits one of them -- an alternate version of Motorville where he was never born. Basically this rabbit in a suit who is actually Oliver from another universe tries to explain all this nonsense. Apparently he's (the conductor) also in the DS version, so I'm guessing this 'multiverse' garbage is the official rationale/canon for why the DS and PS3 versions are so different, too. The only good thing to come out of this is you get the Philmobile 2000 -- the go cart from the beginning of the game is now available to drive around in across the world map. So strange.

Like I said earlier, best secret boss reward ever! I just wish it came sooner since by the time you defeat the secret boss I imagine most people have already done most things in the game.

Also I finally got my first scroll of truth. 4 to go.

daveo42

Banned
I set her tactics to back me up and she'll heal me from time to time and does alright during normal encounters. But it seems like the tougher the encounter, the more likely she's goind down. LOL

I've started to give her more powerful familiars to counteract that. Anytime I metamorph one, I start using it and give her my higher level guys in the hopes that she survives longer like that. We'll see.

I had trouble with that in normal encounters. She'd burn through her entire mana pool in about 3 fights when set "Back Me Up" or "Play Healer" (I don't know the actual tactic commands. So I shut all abilities down for normal encounters and then let them go nuts during boss encounters. My only issue now is being fast enough to switch out familiars and get heals in before they drop to zero. I've seriously solo'd the last two boss battles because of this.

This might be a dumb question, but is there a way to change party tactics outside of combat?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Is there any benefit to not evolving my familiars right away and letting them build up more levels?

Also does their fullness reset once their evolved? If that's the case I will probably load them up with sweets before I do an evolution.

Guys, so what is the difference between this version and the ds one??

The one I got is the battles in the ds game are ala dragon quest.

But the story is new or the same? Or it adds more?

JohngPR

Is there any benefit to not evolving my familiars right away and letting them build up more levels?

Also does their fullness reset once their evolved? If that's the case I will probably load them up with sweets before I do an evolution.

There are certain attacks (at least from my experience, correct me if I'm wrong) they learn while they are level 1 that they won't learn if you evolve them.

For example, Gogo learned a new trick at level 16 but I was level 15, so I waited until he hit level 16 so he'd learn that new movie AND THEN I evolved him so he'd go into his evolution with that move in his repertoire.

Andrew.

Banned
As someone who missed out on the Pokemon craze, capturing familiars really targets my OCD tendencies and is an incredible amount of fun (though that quest involving finding that Cog doesn't sound too great).

It took me awhile to get acclimated to the caring for your Familiar system. It's like Micromanagement: The Game. I'll admit it was pretty overwhelming at first (who do I take with me? who should get priority over the others? who should go with who?), but after a bunch of battles and shop visits, something just clicked and the addiction kicked in.

Level 27 or so and about to head to Castaway Cove mowing down everything in my path with my 2nd level Grifter, 2nd level Mitey and my 2nd level Skeleton. I'd really like to gather as many Fams as I can in that area though, especially a Purrloiner since they look cool as hell and are supposedly really good.

Work is going to suck ass today.

daveo42

Banned
There are certain attacks (at least from my experience, correct me if I'm wrong) they learn while they are level 1 that they won't learn if you evolve them.

For example, Gogo learned a new trick at level 16 but I was level 15, so I waited until he hit level 16 so he'd learn that new movie AND THEN I evolved him so he'd go into his evolution with that move in his repertoire.

Yeah, this is the best way to go about doing it. I'd also suggest evolving only 2-3 most at a time and keeping at least 1 of each familiar type at as high level if possible. Meaning, don't evolve all of your Star familiars back to level one and risk them not being useful against Sun types for a few battles.

Aeana

Guys, so what is the difference between this version and the ds one??

The one I got is the battles in the ds game are ala dragon quest.

But the story is new or the same? Or it adds more?

The PS3 version includes the DS version's story (for the most part) and has a fair bit more beyond it.

JollyWolf

Hey Aeana, I can't reach those plateaus north of Al Mamoon on foot can I? I really want that dinosaur.

Is that the one with the different colored banana guys?

Also, after playing Tales of Vesperia again the other day, I am glad that side quest are more organized and easier to find.

Andrew.

Banned
Is that the one with the different colored banana guys?

Also, after playing Tales of Vesperia again the other day, I am glad that side quest are more organized and easier to find.

Yeah, pretty sure a different colored banana bunch is up there.

is it gonna require that purple dragon to reach those heights?

daveo42

Banned
Hey Aeana, I can't reach those plateaus north of Al Mamoon on foot can I? I really want that dinosaur.

As much as I want the dragon,
I just want to be able to open up those damned purple chests...

Yeah, pretty sure a different colored banana bunch is up there.

is it gonna require that purple dragon to reach those heights?

I think that's the last upgrade you get for travel besides
possibly getting an airboat that can either land in town or drop you off on in a body of water near a town.

Ricker

I had trouble with that in normal encounters. She'd burn through her entire mana pool in about 3 fights when set "Back Me Up" or "Play Healer" (I don't know the actual tactic commands. So I shut all abilities down for normal encounters and then let them go nuts during boss encounters. My only issue now is being fast enough to switch out familiars and get heals in before they drop to zero. I've seriously solo'd the last two boss battles because of this.

This might be a dumb question, but is there a way to change party tactics outside of combat?

I was wondering about that and also out of battle I would like to choose Esther to heal up with her song instead of Oliver's Healing touch but it looks like you can't...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Because it's not beyond the pale to have two of very strong familiars (I'm running with two Monoliths at the moment).
Sure, makes sense. I just want an indication that you found a new one or not, since you can't just access your list on the fly, you have to find a town.

daveo42

Banned
I was wondering about that and also out of battle I would like to choose Esther to heal up with her song instead of Oliver's Healing touch but it looks like you can't...

It would be nice. The other thing I was thinking for doing would be to switch familiars to effectively drain each members mp by playing healer. Depending on xp, you should be able to have at least one character in the rotation with a full mana pool.

You can move in battle.

...but you can't move your character/familiar when they are in the middle of an action. Remember to cancel out (circle button) if you want to move/change current action. This comes in handy in some of the trickier battles.

JohngPR

I went with the Honker, but that was only because it was kicking my ass in the southern desert earlier so I assumed it was gonna turn out to be a strong ally. Too bad I never use him.

I went with the ghost looking one and he was pretty useless, IMO. He buffs your magic characters but not to the point where he's worth taking up a slot.

JohngPR

Got him on my 2nd encounter with one..WOOO

zwR29WN.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
Got him on my 2nd encounter with one..WOOO

hrrrrrrrgg want one so bad. they just look so damn cool.

Have any of you guys gone all the way back to Golden Grove or outside Dell to capture anything? I might go all the way back to the Dark Woods or the Well tonight to see if anything can be nabbed.

JohngPR

Have any of you guys gone all the way back to Golden Grove or outside Dell to capture anything? I might go all the way back to the Dark Woods or the Well tonight to see if anything can be nabbed.

I don't like cats in real life but a Pirate Cat? I can dig it! :p

I went back to Golden Grove to complete the side quest in Al Mamoon where you have to
take a lady's husband his lunch
and I captured a Tyke while I was there.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

All the monsters in the first areas looked like jabronis to me.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't like cats in real life but a Pirate Cat? I can dig it! :p

I went back to Golden Grove to complete the side quest in Al Mamoon where you have to
take a lady's husband his lunch
and I captured a Tyke while I was there.

Ha that and the ant familiar are the only ones I need for the Grove. I believe the Inphant is the only fam outside of Dell that I need too, but theyre kind of a pain to seek out. I hear they're pretty decent as well.

Andrew.

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have somewhat of an easier time capturing when I use one of Esthers weaker familiars (right now a lvl 13 Clubber Cub) to just wail on an enemy type while I either run circes or watch from a distance with Oliver. It's like the prolonged beating increases chances.

RDreamer

Is that Purrloiner hard to get or something? I think I got him on my 2nd encounter. I was worried I wouldn't be able to tame him, since I was full, but thankfully they send more captured ones into that reserve thing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I got real lucky in one fight, took on that sun monster and the turbandit and both ended up with hearts over their head. Caught them both! :D

Also a question as I just remembered in regards to Golden Grove:

There was a section where there was a sleeping robot, is that something we will revisit later in the game or is it a sidequest for much later on?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I got real lucky in one fight, took on that sun monster and the turbandit and both ended up with hearts over their head. Caught them both! :D

Also a question as I just remembered in regards to Golden Grove:

There was a section where there was a sleeping robot, is that something we will revisit later in the game or is it a sidequest for much later on?

Later. Much later as I'm almost 50 hours in and Drippy still gives droll responses when you click on it.

Goli

Later. Much later as I'm almost 50 hours in and Drippy still gives droll responses when you click on it.

If you must know...
Those robots are fought during a post-game DLC quest where knights from Cassiopeia's imagination ask you to defeat all guardians of their ancient civilization. There's four robots, and after you defeat them three other pop up in Nascäa

Top Bottom