• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

TDLink

Question on catching familiars. So I just beat the enemies up normally and when a heart appears use the song? How often do the hears appear though? Haven't seen one yet.

Between 2 and 25% chance depending on the familiar. You can increase the percent chance with a merit later on if you have been doing all the sidequests also.

Andrew.

Banned
any one looking for a damage dealer early in the game
check out Anglerfish from Ding Dong Well
it's got higher attack than your 3rd PC starter, with better defenses
and most importantly, slightly higher accuracy
best of all, it uses claws instead of hammer/axe/armor(which lowers accuracy)

Welp, looks like I know where my first stop is tonight.

I wanted one of those goggle wearing rabbits anyway.

Sanctuary

I'm stilll trying to get me a Dinoceros. Might try to get a Toko for while. Exactly which island are they on? All I know is its Northeast of the landmass you begin the game on.

The easiest way to get the Dino (if you're having issues actually finding them in a large quantity) is to travel to the Temple of Trials, then fly directly west, maybe halfway before the end of the clifftops. You can land in an area that has two spawns roaming on one "disc" with one two discs below that, one to the side and one that's two discs east. This allows you to see a pretty large amount of spawns.

All you have to do is use the gate spell to gate back to Motorville and then use it again to port back to where you originally were. This will reset all of the spawns. You won't necessarily NOT find a Dino in a pack that's not Dino shaped, but those are guaranteed and sometimes contain two.

The Tokos are on Duck something island. It's I think the second largest of those islands.

Does anyone know what curse does?

Just prevents spell casting.

Persona86

Banned
Hey anyone know if there is a fishing mini game in this game? I have a feeling not.

I love it when games do fishing parts for some reason and it would look nice in this type of game.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Trying to capture a babana monster thing next to Al Mamoon and they refused to become in love with me. I got the turban dude on my first try too. Sigh. I don't want to eradicate your kind from existence, but you're forcing me to!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Man I guess I'll go back for that anglerfish then.

Not sure where I'll put him though. I'm kinda happy with the group of 6 I have right now:

Oliver: Mite, thumblemur, flutterby

Esther: Grongo, seed sprite, shonky honker

According to the guide there is a task card redemption to help increase the % of drops, but I don't think you get it till late in the game.

Looks like rips of the Wizard Companion (straight from the PS3 ISO, PDF and JPG versions) are appearing online. Doesn't sound very legal though but it would work great on a Tablet next to your PS3. Has Namco ever thought of bringing this book digitally on Google Play or iOS?

Alright I am trying to get theses spice from a guy in Al Mamoon but no one in town has peice of heart they can give me anymore (already used them on other people in town). Do I have to wait till the next town to find more? or does it re spawn in cities?

Trying to capture a babana monster thing next to Al Mamoon and they refused to become in love with me. I got the turban dude on my first try too. Sigh. I don't want to eradicate your kind from existence, but you're forcing me to!

I got the turbandit on my first try as well. Green Buncher took me awhile. Just stick with it!

Kicking myself. Had the mega edition on preorder for something like £60 back in September and I canceled it (christ knows why) and now Ive just had to pay £38 to get the regular one. Sad times.

Alright I am trying to get theses spice from a guy in Al Mamoon but no one in town has peice of heart they can give me anymore (already used them on other people in town). Do I have to wait till the next town to find more? or does it re spawn in cities?

If you got all the pieces of heart from Ding Dong Dell, that shouldn't be an issue. So yeah, you either gotta wait or go back.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Get used to it. Catching a Bone-Head is even worse.

I'll never complain about Pokemon coming out of a ball ever again.

Andrew.

Banned

Head back to the Dell and make sure you talk to the cat-like humanoid sitting on the brick wall in that central square area where the castle is. That's the one enthusiasm heart piece I was missing to complete that sidequest

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm still not entirely sure I understand stats. My Mighty Mite has much higher def and mag def than Swaine's Burly Hurly, but he's able to take way more damage.

madhtr

I'm still not entirely sure I understand stats. My Mighty Mite has much higher def and mag def than Swaine's Burly Hurly, but he's able to take way more damage.

I don't understand the difference in the stats they show when you level up and what stats they show when you're feeding your familiars... They're never the same.

Majmun

Just fought against two Tokotoko's and cought one. They seem to be quite worthless in battle.

The 18000xp I got from them was pretty nice, though. Holy shit...

Aeana

Just fought against two Tokotoro's and cought one. They seem to be quite worthless in battle.

The 18000xp I got from them was pretty nice, though. Holy shit...
From what I've heard, they're pretty good once you get some levels in them. They require tons of experience though.

Sanctuary

I don't understand the difference in the stats they show when you level up and what stats they show when you're feeding your familiars... They're never the same.

Pretty sure the level up stats are the actual stats of your familiar without gear, and when you're feeding it, gear is taken into account.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
A little lttp, just got the game today and was blown away by the production values. Is there a reason this did so mediocre in Japan?

Sanctuary

Once the Dino gets Earsplitter, it becomes much less useless. Great for farming trash, but still much worse on boss fights compared to Mitey or Puss. I've been letting it max out it's levels before having it morph, so maybe it will actually be good fully maxed out.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok, I swear the game told me that certain familiars have affinity for certain handlers, is that right? If so, how do you see this?

(for instance, a Mite being better for Esther than Oliver, etc...)

Ok, I swear the game told me that certain familiars have affinity for certain handlers, is that right? If so, how do you see this?

When moving familiars into someone's party, you'll see 3 little icons above their roster representing the families of familiars. If the familiar you have selected matches one of those families, the icon will become animated and move around.

Sanctuary

Each character has three favored genus types. When you move the familiars around, it's the three faces that appear. If one of them is popping out, then it's a match.

Basically Oliver likes Mites, Draco and something else, while Esther prefers bird types etc. Having favored genus types gives that familiar a 10% boost to stats.

ekim

Played 3 hours straight. Loving it so far.
where is the third child in the first city? (It's named katzbuckel in German) I don't have the wand from the king yet.

jiggle

got 2 questions
according to the map, there's a forest village NW of Al Mamoon
but i can't seem to land anywhere near it
anyone know where is it?

also
inside a cave near on south plateau, an alchemy guy asks me to come back later (before he'll teach me some recipes?)
anyone know when?
jmoAhitMLBaNF.jpg

In Billy's Goat's Buff - South

I've encountered four so far near those ruins that lead to Perdida

thanks
kinda afraid of that xp though XD

Played 3 hours straight. Loving it so far.
where is the third child in the first city? (It's named katzbuckel in German) I don't have the wand from the king yet.

u're probably missing either the one
in the shop or the one in northern zone of the city

ekim

got 2 questions
according to the map, there's a forest village NW of Al Mamoon
but i can't seem to land anywhere near it
anyone know where is it?

also
inside a cave near on south plateau, an alchemy guy asks me to come back later (before he'll teach me some recipes?)
anyone know when?

thanks
kinda afraid of that xp though XD

u're probably missing either the one
in the shop or the one in northern zone of the city

Ah ok... Wasn't in the weapons store yet. :)

Sera O

Banned
Kind of long impressions: The presentation of this game is magical, even if under the hood I feel it's not all it could be. AI is fine for regular mobs, but in boss fights it just doesn't cut it. Companions seem to try their hardest to eat boss attacks and die. I recently got access to the square and triangle buttons. It helps a lot. However, if companions had better positioning I wouldn't end up soloing almost every boss. Resurrecting them just isn't worth it when I have limited items and can do okay just staying far away and flinging magic from the little green sprite guy.

Right now I'm at Hamelin
after the time travel

I am a bit compulsive about taming all familiars I can, but then I just use the same ones I started with. So hard to choose which to level up! From advice up-thread maybe I should go get another rock slab and kitty pirate out of the retreat, and go back to the volcano for more morph items (I have like 3 star familiars ready to morph and no orbs for them)? On Oliver I still use Mitey, the little green sprite with heals and waterbomb, and a random familiar for leveling. My other two have the ones they started with plus airhead, elephant thing, lemur, frog, ray, and the bighorn one (I love the design of that little dude).

I wish that after making a recipe from the companion once, it was immediately available as a recipe I have access to in the alchemy screen. Why not? If it were added after you made it, it would still be rewarding to go through the companion for recipes, and still allow me to make deluxe sweets in multiples instead of making one at a time which feels like a chore.

I've put quite a lot of time into this game and it still feels awesome every time Oliver gets out onto the world map. Just wow. It's so charming and there is this special weirdness that shines through every so often.
Like with the faycare centre and having to go inside Drippy's mom - that was a wtf moment that had me cracking up with the gross/funny. The comedy routine in comparison was just whatever.

Top Bottom