• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

zeopower6

Question:

Is there any reason to wait to evolve your pokem.... Familiars? Like wait for them to learn a move or something?

The main reason would be to allow the next form to have higher stats overall (a Familiar evolved as soon as possible may not have stats as high as one that was evolved like 5-10 levels after the minimum level for evolution... or even maxed out) but the stat increase isn't that worth it really unless you like to grind. There's also waiting for a Trick like for Mite and his Ray of Light, I think.

Tiops

It's still january and I probably already have my GOTY. This game is just magical.

I'm doing all sidequests before advancing in the game, so I'm a little overpowered. Level 23 at the volcano :p

The main reason would be to allow the next form to have higher stats overall (a Familiar evolved as soon as possible may not have stats as high as one that was evolved like 5-10 levels after the minimum level for evolution... or even maxed out) but the stat increase isn't that worth it really unless you like to grind. There's also waiting for a Trick like for Mite and his Ray of Light, I think.

Thanks!

jiggle

Question:

Is there any reason to wait to evolve your pokem.... Familiars? Like wait for them to learn a move or something?
additional moves and better starting stats
looking at dinoceros
evolving at lv8
atk 179 def 108
m.atk 30 m.def 38
acc 40 eva 40

evolving at lv9
atk 183 def 111
m.atk 31 m.def 40
acc 41 eva 42

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Question about
Horace
, are you able to meet him more than once in the first town? I heard he's supposed to have some kind of quiz sidequest and gives you a bunch of spells if you answer correctly. I met him the first time, got the spirit medium spell or w/e and then he disappeared.

Tiefooz

My Wizard Edition arrived today (against all odds) and I was about to redeem the gold Mite / Drongo DLC key when someone mentioned that they're going for a shitload on eBay. Are they worth hangin' onto, or should I keep the key unredeemed/toss it on eBay?

Aeana

Question about
Horace
, are you able to meet him more than once in the first town? I heard he's supposed to have some kind of quiz sidequest and gives you a bunch of spells if you answer correctly. I met him the first time, got the spirit medium spell or w/e and then he disappeared.

Once he gives you a reward in one town, he moves on to the next one.

Watch Hotaru no Haka, I think its called Grave of the Fireflies? And how the hell have you not watched Spirited Away? One of the best movies of all time imo. My Neighbor Totoro, Arriety, Ponyo, Yamatas, hell every one is worth watching but those are the ones I love the most.

Edit: Forgot Porco Rosso. :X

Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service are probably my favorites. I haven't seen Yamadas or Arrietty yet

additional moves and better starting stats
looking at dinoceros
evolving at lv8
atk 179 def 108
m.atk 30 m.def 38
acc 40 eva 40

evolving at lv9
atk 183 def 111
m.atk 31 m.def 40
acc 41 eva 42

Oh man, that's substantial... It would probably be worth it to grind a couple of levels before evolving then

Kyon

Banned
Just started.

With surround sound.

OMFGGGGGG

The DS version just can't compare I'm sorry.
The battle system is so much better.

I can shelve the DS now finally and play on my PS3 bless ;__;

Aeana

The small nods to other RPGs in this game have been very enjoyable. The most recent one I really like is an FF3 reference,
in the Vault of Tears, when you're turned into frogs.
<3

Beren

Guys found a way to get many white Totoros thingyes on the path to Perdida :)

Just follow the whole path and if u don't see any use
gateaway to go back to motorvile
and use it again to go back duh! lol, follow the path again i have found like 7 in 30 minutes, and tamed one :)

RangerBAD

Watch Hotaru no Haka, I think its called Grave of the Fireflies? And how the hell have you not watched Spirited Away? One of the best movies of all time imo. My Neighbor Totoro, Arriety, Ponyo, Yamatas, hell every one is worth watching but those are the ones I love the most.

Edit: Forgot Porco Rosso. :X

No, don't watch Grave of the Fireflies. It's extremely sad and hard to watch. I've seen it once and I nearly cry every time I remember it. If you want stuff like Ni no Kuni then stick with Miyazaki. If you must watch it, be prepares with tissues.

You also forgot Laputa and Kiki's.
Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind are extremely good, but more somber and deal with tougher issues.

Earthsea is Ghibli's take on American fantasy. Spirited Away is Ghibli's take on Japanese fantasy and it also has dragons.

More like their take on an adaptation of an American fantasy novel (series). Miyazaki was supposed to direct it, but he step aside and let his son did it. The author was none-too-happy about it. In fact, she wasn't too pleased with the adaptation in general. I thought it was a pretty good movie, but I do wonder how different it would have been if Miyazaki directed it.

Damn this volcano area is tough with only 1 level 17 offensive familiar, who's also not very good against these things. I just made him evolve though so I guess I'm going to be grinding until everyone's stats are back up to par.

What are your thoughts on the game so far?

Yeah, wtf is going on? lol

The game is doing way better than anyone could have hoped, I'm guessing. People are selling Griffy for $40 on ebay, and the guide has a golden Hurly or some such shit.

If I had known Griffy was going for that much before redeeming it, I may have sold it myself. He threw off the balance of the game to me and made things a bit too easy.

Derrick01

Banned
What are your thoughts on the game so far?

Kind of on the boring side so far, though this volcano area has made things a little interesting. The story and dialogue is far too simplistic for me to pay any attention to it so I'm pretty much in it for the gameplay. Partner AI is stupid as hell and up until this point the game was too easy.

Aeana

Does Esther ever use a familiar other than that bird? I gave her two more familiars and I never see her use them.
She does. I'm not quite sure what causes it, but I got really upset when I gave her my bighorn to hold for a while and she kept trying to use it when I wanted her to use the bird.

Jetku

She does. I'm not quite sure what causes it, but I got really upset when I gave her my bighorn to hold for a while and she kept trying to use it when I wanted her to use the bird.

I find she typically uses whoever is in her first slot the most. Although she loves to send out her second slot bird to waste mp right as the enemy is about to die...

...and no Esther, my missing 10 Hp did not NEED to be healed...

Aeana

I find she typically uses whoever is in her first slot the most. Although she loves to send out her second slot bird to waste mp right as the enemy is about to die...

...and no Esther, my missing 10 Hp did not NEED to be healed...
I've kept the bird in the first slot for the whole game. I dunno, it's kinda weird.

Oh, that said though, if you use all-out attack, she seems to favor physical familiars, at least in my experience.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Never thought i'd see the day when I would have to bust a strategy guide for a game; i think I just dont get the mechanics of the battle system. Im at the cove where i have to retrieve a cauldron and the fight that ensues has me completely stumped. It doesnt help that this girl keeps mercilessly dying on me seemingly during every battle.
Try set her to 'keep us healthy' as a tactic - it's not foolproof but it seems to keep her out of harm's way. That one was a bit of a pain, but later on you
get 'all out' technique which helps to keep your allies a bit safer. Just defend, defend, defend when he pulls out the flying/spinning attack which will net you some blue or green orbs and defend near the end of the countdown of the boiling pot attack. A familiar with 'evade' won't be much good, need one with defend and a decent shield. Well that's how I did it:p

I fell like I've about had it with the AI and the consistency of difficulty on this game. My friends are just useless, even with high level familiars and equipment they have no ability to react or manage. It's also bothering me that I'm grinding for hours on end, destroying the enemies with no effort only to keep coming to bosses that can kill my whole party in minutes flat. The Jelly fish thing is making me want to play something else. Everyone is lvl 30 and they can't stay alive long enough to hurt it.

I think I would have proffered a cut and dry turn bases game. All this running around just irritating. I'm wasting time running to the bosses and their attacks are throwing my characters around and just wasting more time.

Aeana

I fell like I've about had it with the AI and the consistency of difficulty on this game. My friends are just useless, even with high level familiars and equipment they have no ability to react or manage. It's also bothering me that I'm grinding for hours on end, destroying the enemies with no effort only to keep coming to bosses that can kill my whole party in minutes flat. The Jelly fish thing is making me want to play something else. Everyone is lvl 30 and they can't stay alive long enough to hurt it.

I think I would have proffered a cut and dry turn bases game. All this running around just irritating. I'm wasting time running to the bosses and their attacks are throwing my characters around and just wasting more time.
Are you making use of all-out defend?

Guys found a way to get many white Totoros thingyes on the path to Perdida :)

Just follow the whole path and if u don't see any use
gateaway to go back to motorvile
and use it again to go back duh! lol, follow the path again i have found like 7 in 30 minutes, and tamed one :)

That's actually pretty awesome. Now find me an easy way to get a Dinoceros. ^_~

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Yeah she's set for that as her tactic. I even gave her a metamorphed mite who has a strong shield but she still falls. What i wish could happen is for me to lure his attacks away from her. Does she have a "run, forest, run" tactic? :(
I wish she did. It's irritating, as I had exactly the same problem. It's like 'here i go!' *dead*. I think actually in that battle she got knocked out and I revived her a few times with Phoenix Feathers, so she clearly wasn't doing her job properly :p Remember you can switch to her and maybe control her for a bit to pick up some health and stuff. Not sure that helped for me but it's an option if you're struggling.

Eventually you will get it. I had to really smash him with Oliver's spells and alternate between him and Mite for the defending, sending Mite in to do some slashing now and then, as he was totally spamming all his attacks. Had to defend a few times and suck up all the blue orbs to get some MP when i needed it. Are you getting any of the golden drops that trigger the super special attacks?

When you get all-out defend later you'll find it a lot less frustrating.

Aeana

Spent the better part of the last hour dying over and over. Wasn't expecting such a big difficulty curve after
getting the ship
For that boss, you only have to get him to half health. I heard from somewhere else that it might end if you just survive for 5 minutes too.

For that boss, you only have to get him to half health. I heard from somewhere else that it might end if you just survive for 5 minutes too.

Can't even get him down by 10%, so I'm thinking I need better familiars or equipment. Also, random sea enemies are kicking my ass.

Top Bottom